Hardscrabble Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That got a rise out of him; his jaw tightened and his eyes narrowed. "On September first I report to Attorney General McLeary, who hired me to assist in prosecutions across the state. While it is true that I have dated a number of young ladies of distinction during my time at University, it is a half-day ride from Georgetown to Austin, and I was quite busy after class and on some weekends.

My social opportunities have been limited; whereas, you have been residing in the center of San Antonio, easily accessible to the scores of young men whom you ceaselessly entertain, and also in the midst of San Antonio society."

"Why Silas, it almost seems as if you are jealous! Why would you care what your 'skinny little friend'- I believe that is what you called me to your sisters just before you left -- is doing or dating?"

He shrugged, continuing to look straight ahead: "Idle curiosity, nothing more."

She giggled lightly; he turned and looked at her, and then kept looking at her, slowly, blatantly, from head to boots. She blushed, but she blushed proudly; she had dressed and even used makeup for this moment.

In his most seductive voice, he flattered her: "Well, it appears that my 'skinny little friend' has filled out and matured quite nicely. You've become a very attractive young woman, Miss Thomson."

"Ha!" she chided. "I encounter that kind of flattery and hear that tone of voice far too often, Mr. Carr! There is no chance at all that you will add me to your substantial list of conquests!

Therefore, if you are willing, we can simply have a pleasant conversation and catch up on the past three years without these little games you are attempting to play."

Silas smiled at her, and said, "My tone of voice might have been offensive, but I meant what I said, Lilly. You have definitely matured quite nicely!

Now, how are your lovely mother and Uncle Lonnie doing?"

"My mother and Lorenzo are doing very well, thank you. Will we be going to the ranch, or to the settlement?"

"They should have arrived at the settlement by now. They will be in residence at the guest house Lonnie and my father built; I assume you will reside with them?"

"Yes, until after the celebration. Then we plan to return to the ranch."

The remainder of the trip to Ranger Wallace's ranch was spent in cordial conversation, although Silas caught a hint of jealousy when he described Governor Hubbard's ball in 1878, to which Silas accompanied the governor's daughter, Serena. Mentally enjoying her jealousy, Silas failed to inform her that Serena was only thirteen at the time and that he was her escort at the Governor's request, not for romantic reasons.

He also failed to inform her about his relationship with Tillie Johnson. Although his relationship with the older woman was certainly not something he was ashamed of, he felt it better that she not know. Some tales a gentleman does not tell, nor make a lady aware of.

Kathryn and Ben Wallace were waiting on the porch when they pulled up to their ranch, and the Carrs' well-rested and fed Morgan horse was in the corral. After the men exchanged a warm greeting, they unhitched Ben's draft horse while the ladies chatted, and then went inside for sandwiches and tea.

Lilly's reputation as a charmer was well earned. She had Kathryn ensnared before they got the table set, and the calloused old Texas Ranger was under her spell before the sandwiches were eaten.

Silas sat quietly, drinking in Lilly's enchantingly expressive voice and marveling at her ability to read and draw people out. It was good to see her in action, if for no other reason than it would make it easier for him to recognize if she turned her considerable charms on him.

Given the hour and the distance still to be traveled, they said their goodbyes until tomorrow. Ben and Kathryn would be joining them at the celebration, of course, where Ben threatened to tell tales about his young friend, in spite of his young friend's strenuous objections.

A few miles down the road, Silas stated, "You certainly made a favorable impression with them, Miss Thomson."

"They are wonderful salt-of-the-earth people, aren't they Mr. Carr? I really enjoyed our short visit, and I'm looking forward to Mr. Wallace's stories tomorrow. He seems very fond of you!"

"He's Dad's best friend. They served together in the 'War of Yankee Aggression', as they put it, and Dad joins him from time to time when he needs help fulfilling his duties as a Ranger. He's more like an uncle than an acquaintance."

"And as a rising young politician, Mr. Carr, do you also see it as the 'War of Yankee Aggression'?"

"I see it as a terrible mistake by both sides. The Yankee penchant for using votes based on their larger population to burden the agricultural south and impinge on states' rights were primary causes of the war, and the stubbornness of the 30% of southerners who owned slaves to see the writing on the wall was the other primary cause. My family owned no slaves, but we were hardscrabble farmers in Tennessee, and the Tariff of Abominations cost my father and grandfather dearly.

The Reconstructionists act as if they are morally superior, but it was their own actions in passing the Tariff of 1828 over the vigorous objection of the southern agriculture interests that caused the resentment that spurred insurrection! Likewise, it was not the Army of the Confederacy that burned crops and homes, and raped women in the name of 'unity'!

So, Miss Thomson, I'm sure you can derive my position from my statements. And yes, I'm aware that your father was conscripted into the Union army; that does not change my position!"

She sat quietly for some time before quietly responding, "You've just shown me a part of you I've not seen before, Silas. The strength of your feelings about something that occurred when you were an infant is... a bit disquieting. I hope I never see your feelings if you are personally wronged.

Or have I? The gunman at Dogtown, perhaps?"

He saw no reason to reply, but knew his behavior during that incident was well controlled compared to what he had proven capable of in other circumstances. He hoped Ben would not tell those stories.

***

The folks of the settlement saw them from miles away, and there was a welcoming contingent composed of kids, nearly grown kids, and young adults, with adults waving from the houses or nearby fields. Decorative bunting was hung from the barn doors closest to the quadrangle between the four properties, and pennants were strung around the slab that had been poured in the midst of the quadrangle while he was away at university.

A well had been drilled and a windmill installed a few yards from the slab. A large cistern standing ten feet high stood west of the windmill, and fresh water could be accessed by turning on a spigot located at the bottom of a metal pipe that came down from the cistern. The water could be captured in a bucket, or in the large trough below it. More pipes came out of the cistern, but disappeared underground in the direction of the Carr home and barn.

The pennants ran from pole to pole around the slab, circled around the windmill just below the blades, and on up to the cistern, where they tied off at the point of the cistern roof. These were quite elaborate decorations, for a place like Carr Settlement, and Silas was appreciative.

After being home for three days, he was old news, but Lilly's greeting was as effusive as his had been a few days ago; apparently, she didn't get home very often either. She was quite gracious with everyone, but her special attachment to the Carr sisters was immediately obvious. They hugged and kissed and hugged some more, until a vision in baby blue came around the house and stood watching.

Gwen's beauty and grace almost took Silas' breath away, just as it had from the beginning, but she seemed to have a special glow to her today. Lilly spotted her mom, broke away from the Carr sisters, and run to her. They hugged, and then Lilly backed away a step and looked down at her mother. Still holding her hands, she asked a question; Gwen responded with an answer and a smile, and Lilly began hopping up and down and squealing.

Silas was puzzled, but clarity arose when he saw the Gwen's waistline was greatly expanded. He hoped down from the buggy, tied the horse at the hitching rail, and hurried over to add his congratulations. Gwen saw him approaching; she turned loose of her daughter and ran into his arms. They hugged tightly, and then she leaned back, looked at his face adoringly, and kissed him briefly.

"I knew on the occasion of our first meeting that you were special, Silas! Some are surprised that you have a university degree and have passed the bar at age 22, but that isn't surprising to me; I expected no less! My fondest hope is that your new job allows you more time to come visit your folks and your friends, and to see your new cousin!"

Silas was badly choked up, but he maintained his control. "That is also my fondest wish; I eagerly await the birth of my new cousin and the opportunity to spend time with her... or him.

Speaking of, where is my favorite uncle?"

"With your father, preparing the pits, of course! The steer is slaughtered, cut up, and is curing. The pits are dug, the firewood is gathered, and they are distributing the firewood while enjoying a beer from the cellar. Would you like to join them, or go inside to thank your mother and sisters, who have spent the day baking and preparing for tomorrow's feast?"

"Let's start with Mother, shall we?" he answered, and escorted his never-ending crush inside the house. If only he were fifteen years older!

They didn't see the look Lilly gave them, but her mother felt it and giggled. She had to prepare her future son-in-law for the chicanery she knew her daughter was planning; he simply could not lose control of the relationship before it even blossomed! Her headstrong daughter needed a tight rein, but she wasn't sure Silas was as aware of the wiles of her woman-child as he needed to be!

The other three wives of the settlement were with his mother, and he received kisses on the cheek from each. They asked him about his trip to pick up his friend, how it felt to have a university degree, and about intrigues around the state capitol. He was both polite and forthcoming, but his responses were carefully measured to provide only enough information to placate.

When they began another round of making bread, he excused himself and joined his father, Uncle Lonnie, and several of the other men at the pits. The steer head, wrapped in layers of wet burlap, would be placed on a bed of coals and covered tonight, allowing it cook all night and well into the day before the edibles would be harvested and served to the brave. For some, brains, tongue, eyeballs, lips, and other portions of the head were highly sought after delicacies; Silas was not one of those.

Silas turned the conversation to the extensive plumbing and water works he had seen. He asked about the process: who had done what, how well it functioned, and the major benefits it brought. He learned that his dad, Lonnie, and the other men had traveled with Gwen to the Thomson ranch to see their plumbing firsthand.

After devising a tentative plan, they brought in a plumber from San Antonio familiar with indoor plumbing. He caused them to significantly revise the plan, so they secured a driller to advise them on the well and cistern. Following Silas' suggestion, they hired a company that used cable tool rig to drill for water that was deeper and cleaner. Based on expert advice, the men of the settlement ordered the pipe and fixtures to install to the houses and in the new washrooms, toilet rooms, and kitchens

In addition to the Carr well located in the quadrangle, each home in the settlement had its own well and plumbed facilities.

They readily admitted that the hardest part for them had been digging the holes and building the septic tanks and drainage fields for the toilets, but all agreed that it made the womenfolk so happy it was well worth the effort. The wastewater from the bath and sinks was deposited in separate tanks, and was used to water the vegetable and flower gardens.

Overall, they agreed, it was a boon for their homes and worth the effort and cost to build and maintain.

All the talk made them thirsty, so they dispatched Silas to the root cellar for more homebrew, a gift from their German neighbor to the north. Mr. Steinbach was a brewer before he emigrated, and his was potent stuff; it didn't take many to give you a fuzzy brain and thick tongue. Fortunately, they were called to supper, consisting of beef stew and cornbread, before they got too drunk. They ate sitting on the steps and the edge of the porch while the women completed their baking and preparations, and then returned home before dark.

Silas was used to evenings that ran until midnight, so he found a chair in the back yard that offered a good view of the sunset over the hills to the west. He was soon joined by Lilly and his sisters, Kathleen and Mary Virginia, who in turn attracted Samuel and Sonny. They gathered chairs, faced the west, and watched the sun set while they shared information about their lives and events of interest.

Lilly was attentive to the stories told by the others, but offered little of consequence about herself. All but Silas inquired about her school, the young men she had met, and the social life of San Antonio, but her only answers of substance were about her school and studies.

When pressed, he used the same tact. It seemed neither was keen to expound on their love lives or societal escapades, at least in front of the other.

***

The youngsters had retired soon after the sun, knowing tomorrow would be a long and tiring day. It began quite early, when breakfast was served an hour before normal so they could clean up and begin the final preparations and cooking for the afternoon festivities. Today the wood stoves in all four homes would be used, but the Carr home was central and they were the hosts, so more would be done here.

The main pit was long enough to cook the entire steer after it was butchered, but some cuts needed to be cooked at lower heat for longer times, and some were best if cooked hot for a short time. These differences were reflected in the depth of the pit under a section of mesh wire, which was reinforced by rods made from pipes.

In the same manner, the wood from the north end of the pit through the middle had been set afire and was burning down to coals. There was a steel plate barrier about three quarters of the way down the pit serving as a divider; the remainder would be lit later in the day, to braze and grill the choice cuts of meat.

They were using a mix of native Mesquite and Post Oak logs. These woods burned hot and left coals that lasted longer than other woods, like Pecan or Hickory, that were often used to smoke, grill, or barbeque meats in other parts of the country.

The men took great pride is their cooking, just as the women did. They had sausage rings ready to grill to tide them over, and two big pots of beans were cooking over a ground fire built just past the north end of the main pit, nearer the pit where the steer head was still baking.

Silas caught up on the happenings of the years he had been away, and learned that the settlers were becoming more proficient at raising crops in south Texas, where the blazing sun split the growing season. One season extended from planting in late February or early March through harvesting in June or July; the other from planting in late August through harvesting in late November. The months of July and August were so hot and dry that crops simply withered and died, so they had learned which crops to plant in each season and which could be planted in both.

The winter/spring season was the time for leaf crops like spinach and lettuce, as well as corn, peas, beans, squash, tomatoes, potatoes, melons, and peppers. The fall season was also good for beans, tomatoes, and peppers, but the better time for small grains such as oats, and pumpkins. Onions, a staple of many south Texas dishes, were planted in the fall or winter and harvested in the spring and summer, and other seasonings and herbs were usually planted in summer and harvested in the late fall.

They had tried to grow wheat, but it didn't do well this far south, so they also raised cash crops that they could sell or barter for flour and sugar.

All the farming talk made them hungry: they grilled up some sausage, got some bread from the house, and ate a late morning snack. A nearby family, the Jamesons, had arrived early, and Bud brought a sack of venison jerky that also helped stave off the hunger pains until the late afternoon meal.

Inside the houses, the women and girls were finalizing the baking and cooking the vegetables. The whole area smelled like fire and food, which perhaps helped guide the influx of revelers that arrived between two and the scheduled beginning of the celebration at three. Silas spent that entire hour greeting people, answering questions, and thanking them for coming. He was ready for a beer by three, but the numbers weren't slowing down quite yet.

The arrival of Kathryn and Ben Wallace and their guest, legendary Ranger William A. A. "Bigfoot" Wallace, created quite a stir. Their notoriety left Silas free from his duties as host and greeter, if briefly, and he took the opportunity to get a drink of water from the well.

When he turned, back toward the crowd, he saw a single rider approaching. It wasn't someone he knew, the man was tall, well dressed, and rather handsome, if a bit 'slick' looking. He was wearing two .44 Smith and Wesson Russian pistols and had a saddle gun, which seemed out of place when coming to a celebration. Something about him made Silas wish he was wearing his own pistols, but he stepped out in the road to intercept him anyway.

"Greetings, stranger. What can I do for you?"

"I'm here at the invitation of Miss Lilly Thomson, son. Please direct me to her."

"My name is Silas Carr; this is my family home, and you are at a celebration hosted by my family. You will stay on your horse, and I'll check with Miss Thomson about your invitation."

The stranger did not offer a name, but he did smirk at Silas and say, "You do that, boy. I'll be right here."

Silas went inside the house and looked for Lily. He didn't see her, but did see her mother. "Where is Lilly, Gwen? There's someone outside who says she invited him."

Gwen looked troubled; she went to the window and looked out, then turned and walked quickly to the back, where Kathleen's room was located, and shut the door. He heard her voice raised, and then heard Lilly's raised in return. When he heard Gwen again, it was in a tone and at a volume he had never before heard.

A defiant Lilly came rapidly down the hall and walked right up to Silas. "I understand you have refused entry to my date! Why is that?"

At first taken aback by her attack, Silas felt his hackles rise and addressed her just as forcefully. "While I haven't yet denied him entry, this is my celebration and I will deny entry to anyone I choose, including your date! Or you, for that matter! Perhaps you and your date would be more comfortable elsewhere, Miss Thomson!"

Lilly was surprised by his response, and quickly changed her tone of voice. "I'm sorry, Silas. I was told I could invite someone if I chose, so I did. Please invite him to join me inside and we will stay out of your way."

"Out of respect for your family I will, but I don't like his attitude and I'll be keeping an eye on him. Frankly, he looks like a well-known scoundrel; if I learn he is that man, he will be immediately escorted from the premises."

"I don't know that you are up to that, Silas," she replied with a hint of disdain. "He's a mature man with a reputation for being able to hold his own with other grown men, whereas..."