Harry Styles - Instant Attraction Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Whatever the key is, I want more of it," Niall said enthusiastically, speaking with his mouth full.

Charley cringed then snorted as he stuffed even more in, marvelling once again that Niall Horan was here in her house, across the table form her, and he was eating food she'd prepared.

"That was amazing. I can't believe I ate half your lasagne," Niall groaned eventually when he'd had his fill, sitting back and putting his hands on his stomach. "I feel the need to do something to say thank you."

"Don't be silly," Charley protested, but he waved her away.

"I can't cook, so don't get too excited," he grinned. Then an odd, shifty gleam entered his eyes and he looked away quickly as he thought. "I uh, I was thinking more along the lines of you coming to my last U.S. concert tomorrow night, before I go on break."

Charley raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Really?"

Niall stretched his hands above his head before getting up to start taking dishes into the kitchen. "Yes, really. Come watch from backstage, it'll be great fun to have you there, and I think you'll enjoy it." He walked off without looking at her and Charley frowned a little. Was he acting a little weird?

But then he was coming back out with a big smile and taking her dish as she scrambled up to help. The oddness was gone. "Stay right there," he chuckled. "You cooked, I'll clean."

Charley rolled her eyes and got up anyway. "I have a dishwasher," she said.

"That's why I said I'll clean," his voice floated back out at her from the kitchen and Charley laughed.

Bringing the empty salad bowl and the rest of the lasagne to put in the fridge, she joined Niall in the kitchen where he was stacking the dishwasher.

She watched him speculatively. "Okay," she said suddenly.

He looked up at her, blue eyes trained on hers curiously, eyebrow raised in question.

"Okay, I'll come tomorrow night," she smiled and pulled the cling wrap out of a draw to wrap the leftover lasagne.

A beaming smile split Niall's face. "Brilliant, you'll love it. Backstage is fun, it's one of my favourite ways to enjoy a concert," he said as he shut the dishwasher door. He shrugged one shoulder. "Granted it's nearly one of the only ways I can enjoy a concert now," he laughed.

Charley laughed with him. "I bet," she said before handing the lasagne dish to him so she could open the fridge door and make room for it first.

She felt Niall move up close behind her and her breath caught a little. Don't be ridiculous, she thought. He's not hitting on you. She took the dish from him and slotted it into the spot she'd made for it before turning back to him with a bright smile. He was standing with his hands stuffed in his pockets, smiling at her.

"Do you want another coffee or anything," she asked him, feeling suddenly nervous for an unknown reason.

He shook his head. "No, thank you, this has been absolutely wonderful, especially since I just dropped in unannounced. But I have to head off now," he said with a smile.

A little relieved, Charley nodded, relaxing again. "Where are you staying?"

"Uh, I'm at Harry's place while he's away," Niall said with a slight cough. Charley felt her heart clench at a memory of snuggling with Harry on his couch flashed through her memory.

"Oh, right," she said lamely, crossing her arms in front of her body. She followed Niall back to the garage where he shrugged his leather jacket back on and zipped it up.

Then he turned to her and wrapped her in another fierce bear hug. Charley felt swallowed up by it and she squealed breathlessly as he pulled her playfully off of her feet.

"Thanks again," he grinned as he set her back down. "I'll have my team send you the backstage pass in the morning, so I'll see you tomorrow night."

Charley nodded again and smiled as he pulled his helmet on and mounted the bike. "Can't wait," she said truthfully. Then she hit the garage door switch and Niall fired the loud Harley engine, riding out with a cheerful salute in her direction.

As the rumble of the bike died away down the street, Charley went back inside, smiling as she reflected on the strange afternoon events.

"Well, Harold, that was one of your namesake's best friends," she told the cat as she scooped him up off the back of the couch and took him into her bedroom.

Humming to herself as she prepared for a shower then bed, Charley thought that today was the most normal she'd felt in months. Niall had been so easy to talk to, and since Caroline was rarely around any more, she wondered if she and Niall could be friends. And you could be a little closer to Harry, a little voice whispered, but she ignored it. As Charley snuggled into her warm covers, she smiled. She couldn't wait until the concert tomorrow night.

***

Nervously, Charley was hustled by a man with a head mic on, into Niall's dressing room. With a grin she entered and was instantly enveloped in what she was quickly realising was his signature hug.

"Charley! You came! Bring any lasagne?" Niall said eagerly with a wink.

"How did you know?" Charley rolled her eyes as she dipped into her bag and pulled out a plastic container filled with the rest of the lasagne. He'd texted her today, begging her to bring some tonight. It had made her laugh.

"You're the best!" Niall cheered gleefully, taking it from her and handing it to an assistant hovering nearby to put in the fridge. "I'll have that after the show," he said as he rubbed his belly, watching it disappear. Charley grinned.

Niall turned back to her. "Come on," he said and started to drag her off by the elbow back out the door. "We've still got an hour 'til the show starts. I'm taking you on a guided tour."

Laughing as she was pulled after Niall, she jogged to catch up. Over the next quarter of an hour, she was introduced to a lot of Niall's team: stylists, makeup, managers and musicians, before he took her out onto the stage to stand in front of the empty seats.

"In half an hour the doors will open, and then in an hour this will be packed to bursting," he told her, eyes shining as he took in the huge auditorium.

Charley looked at him with a smile, he looked like a little kid right now, a young boy who had just been told he could have any candy he wanted from the store. She wondered if this was what Harry looked like when he looked out at his empty stadiums.

"It's pretty overwhelming," she agreed as she turned to take the entire venue in. "Don't you ever get nervous?"

"Always," Niall said with a smile, looking at her. "But not like I used to - and the second I step foot out here and talk to them, sing to them, the fans make me forget everything but making them happy."

"Wow, what a way to think about it," Charley murmured as she looked back at the seats again with renewed appreciation.

"The fans are what got me here," he said seriously. "Their almost obsessive devotion to One Direction, and their commitment to us still, even now we've all gone solo, is still the most awe-inspiring thing to me."

Charley looked into his blue eyes and smiled. "I can see why they love you," she said and watched his eyes crinkle with pleasure. "You care."

"I only give them what they give me," he said softly, staring out at the auditorium for a moment. There was a quiet pause, then he grinned and started to drag her back out and down yet another hallway. "Come on!"

Charley laughed again as they discovered two Segways standing behind a door and Niall immediately jumped on one.

"I always have these back stage," he grinned at her. "Hop on!"

"I wouldn't have a clue how to use one," Charley admitted.

"I'll show you," he said as she stepped up onto it. His arm brushed hers as he leaned over and showed her what to do. She glanced sidelong at him, but the gesture was apparently innocent. Goosebumps didn't rise on her arm like it did when Harry had brushed up against her. Her stomach flipped at the thought of Harry's touch and she hastily pushed it away and concentrated on what Niall was saying.

Soon Charley was shrieking with laughter as she followed Niall around the venue, nearly hitting people as they dodged and rolled their eyes, obviously used to his shenanigans.

Eventually they pulled up outside his dressing room again where his stylist had her hands on her hips. "You are way too old for this, lad," the woman huffed at Niall. "You're on in ten minutes, get your butt in here now!"

Niall grinned wryly at Charley as they hopped off their Segways. "All right Nina, don't get your knickers in a twist," he joked and dodged the hand that shot out to cuff him behind the ear. Charley muffled a laugh behind her hand.

"Head back to the stage and I'll see you before I go on," Niall called to Charley as he was pulled inside his dressing room by the exasperated Nina.

Chuckling to herself, Charley walked her way back to the stage area. Being backstage before a show wasn't at all what she'd thought it would be, she thought happily. This was fun, and she enjoyed seeing how it all worked. She couldn't wait to see Niall perform.

--

NIALL

Charley was fun and gorgeous and easy to have around. Niall sat and jigged his knee nervously after he finished tying the shoes Nina had given to him as the last part of his stage outfit. He frowned. Harry owed him big time. And not because he'd agreed to show Charley that life on tour - or with a pop star for that matter - could be fun, but because he was annoyed he had to keep his hands off her. Niall was finding himself very attracted to Charley and he was having to make a conscious effort to remind himself she was Harry's girl, and he was doing his best friend a favour.

Harry had been completely unbearable since Charley had panicked and cut things off with him. Niall had heard it all. He'd dealt with the depression and the darkness, and right now he was dealing with the desperation. The three D's of Harry, Niall thought to himself ruefully. He'd always been like this, and Niall, Louis and Liam had always been the ones to bring him out of it when they were a band. Zayn had been pretty much the same, except ten times worse, and in the end, they hadn't been able to save him. Niall cursed at himself for the unwanted, errant thought and shoved it aside. He got up, ready to head to the stage.

Harry was his best friend and Niall knew he couldn't fall for his best friend's girl. Niall got the picture Charley wasn't over Harry, either. The whole charade of being chased by the paps and conveniently being near her house...Niall cringed and shut his eyes for a moment before wrenching his dressing room door open. If things didn't work out with Harry the way his friend wanted, and Charley found out about the set up, she would probably never forgive either of them. And Niall was discovering very quickly that he couldn't have that happen. He'd decided he wanted to pursue their friendship in at least a platonic way, on a regular basis - it was so hard to find such genuine people these days that didn't want something from him.

As Niall stalked the hallway to the stage, hearing the muffled chatter and cheers of the forming crowd, he reflected on Harry's fateful call to him a few days ago.

"Niall, if you could get her to go to one of your shows, she would see that it's not what she thinks - that she has nothing to worry about, or that she could easily come with me. Please. I'm begging you, Niall. As my best friend..."

Niall scowled harder, causing a young technician to dart out of his way with a strange look. Oops, he thought guiltily, repositioning a smile across his face as he caught sight of Charley standing side of stage. Charley was grinning as she peered out at the audience, and Niall felt a genuine smile of pleasure reassert itself as he watched her obvious enjoyment. When she turned and directed her beaming smile onto him, his heart skipped a beat. She had no idea of the effect she had on men, Niall thought, as he came toward her.

"What do you think?" He asked inconsequentially, staring into her light hazel eyes. They crinkled at the corners with her infectious smile.

"They can't wait to see you," she grinned and threw an arm around him. He didn't object and hugged her to his side. It made his insides do a funny twist but he ignored it and let her go. "Good luck," she said into his ear.

He laughed and ruffled her hair playfully, earning an annoyed look as she flattened it back down. He grinned at her with a cocky smile before jauntily heading out on stage.

--

Niall was a brilliant performer, Charley thought, her eyes shining with pleasure as she stood and watched him interact with the audience. Not flamboyant like Harry was in the videos she'd watched, but no less captivating. The venue was more intimate, the pace more casual - it was akin to hanging out at a bar listening to your favourite live act, Charley reflected. She was surprised when he finally sung the last song - time had flown by so fast! She'd really enjoyed his concert, and the fans had been in raptures.

Then he was walking out towards her, sweaty from the hot lights, looking tired yet pleased. Charley grinned at him and gave him a high five before stepping back and screwing up her nose.

"You stink, Horan," she said with a laugh. Niall raised a mischievous eyebrow and eyed her. He took a step forward, arms outstretched for a hug.

"Now, or in general?" he asked, his eyes twinkling as he wiped a hand across his brow and handed his guitar off to an assistant.

"Always," Charley grinned, backing away from his grasp. She didn't mind when Niall grabbed her hand and led her back to his dressing room, dropping it when they made it inside. He immediately picked up a cool bottle of water and sculled it back, flopping down onto the couch.

Charley perched on the arm of the couch opposite him. She studied him as he closed his eyes for a moment, his head tilted back onto the cushions and chest rising and falling a little faster than normal. He'd really given the last song his all. His brown hair was damp and he had sweat stains under his armpits. He really did need a shower. She muffled a smile.

"Thanks for inviting me, your show was amazing. I could watch it again and again," she said honestly with a smile. "Your music is even better live."

With eyes still shut, Niall smiled. "You're welcome to join me on tour in a couple months time, even for just a few shows in Europe." He opened his eyes to see the surprise on her face. He grinned wider. "Just schedule it in as a holiday, or whatever."

Charley considered. It would certainly be fun and she could just go for a week. It would be a serious experience. "Let me think on it," she said thoughtfully. "I didn't realise how much fun this would be. Or what it was like to be on the back end of things." She gestured around her into the quiet room. She had kind of expected there to be groupies and women wearing next to no clothing. Or booze...maybe even drugs. This was the exact opposite. Niall was drinking water and chatting with her. There was no indication that this was any different than any other night he performed.

Niall sat up straighter at her answer. "That's not a no," he said in surprise.

"You thought I'd decline?"

"Well, yeah. Because you didn't want to, you know, with Harry," he said, then stopped suddenly as if catching himself.

Charley felt herself go red. So they'd talked about her. She guessed she shouldn't be surprised. And it made her feel guilty that she was considering joining Niall on tour in Europe for a few shows, when she hadn't given Harry the same chance. But it's not the same, she thought confusedly. She loved Harry. It was complicated with them. With Niall, he was just a friend, fun to hang around like Caroline. No complications, no worrying about being in his way or being jealous of being photographed with women. Niall could date or kiss who he liked, and Charley wouldn't care.

"It's not the same," she said flatly, more to herself than anything.

Niall looked at her curiously. "Why?" It was the way he said it that had her biting back a defensive retort. He wasn't accusing her of anything, or judging her. It was said innocently, genuinely.

Charley chewed on the inside of her cheek, wondering how they'd gotten to talking about Harry so quickly after Niall had just been on stage. It made her gut clench and her heart ache. "Well," she began, picking at her fingernails. "Things are more...complicated with...him." She couldn't bring herself to say Harry's name out loud.

Niall just took another long drink of the water out of the bottle he held and continued to watch her. She had hoped he would fill the silence, and now she felt like she had to say more.

"The whole tour thing...I mean the fans...It's also the media, it's so much. I don't think I can...No, I mean, I feel-" She stopped abruptly, embarrassed. She had no idea what she was trying to say, but Niall was nodding slowly, obviously thinking hard.

"You're worried that if you go on tour with him, you won't be able to cope with the pressure of being Harry Styles' girlfriend," he said quietly, looking at her and obviously thinking hard.

How did he get that from what I said? Charley thought, shocked. He was completely right. That was exactly the problem. But Niall wasn't finished.

"And," he continued. "I'm guessing you're more worried about how it will affect your relationship with him or how he performs if you let the pressure get to you."

Charley gaped at him. Could he read her mind? Niall chuckled at her expression. 


"I'm good at reading people," he said with a chuckle as he threw the now-empty water bottle into the nearby waste paper bin, then stood up. Charley just blinked as she looked at her hands twisting in her lap, still unable to say anything as she processed what he'd just said.

"Look, Charley, I have an idea, but feel free to tell me where to stick it," Niall said ruefully. Charley looked up at the tone of his voice.

"Okay," she said quietly, waiting cautiously.

"Harry's performing next week in Chicago, and I'm going. I think you should come with me."

Charley was already shaking her head in denial. No way. No. Not after what she'd done to him, breaking his heart and turning into the insecure girlfriend from hell.

"Look - hear me out," Niall pleaded, coming to stand in front of her and picking up one of her hands, forcing her to look up at him, which she did so reluctantly. "You don't have to see him, okay? We don't have to go back stage, we can just sit up in one of the stadium's corporate boxes. Ages away from him. But I think it would be good for you to go watch. See what it's like."

Charley searched his blue eyes, finding nothing but sincerity and a hint of worry. Niall was concerned about her and his best friend. Why was he pushing so hard? And then something turned over in her brain. She froze.

"He asked you to do this, didn't he?" The guilt and hesitation in his gaze gave her her answer. She wrenched her hand from his and stood up. "Un-fucking-believable." Was this for real?

"Charley-" Niall started, but she flung a hand up to silence him. Mind racing, Charley couldn't believe the audacity of either of them. She looked at Niall furiously.

"The whole thing has been a set up, hasn't it? To get me to come to a show. To show me that it's not that scary?" She threw her hands in the air and rolled her eyes when Niall reluctantly nodded his assent.

"Great. Treating me like a kid. Perfect. I'm leaving," she said, trying to find where she'd dropped her belongings when she'd arrived.

Niall hurried after her, gently seizing a wrist and turning her to face him. "Charley - he loves you. He's miserable without you. Give him a chance," he begged her, and her heart faltered at his unexpected words.