All Comments on 'Hartan Expanding Ch. 01'

by ja99

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
WantingToWriteGoodWantingToWriteGood2 months ago

A very interesting story. Please understand, I confuse easily. On page 2 it seems South Korea developed a mirror and took down one of these cubes. Why wasn't the mirror used on all the other alien machines?

SlithyToveSlithyTove2 months ago

Fascinating start -- looking forward to reading more!

ja99ja992 months agoAuthor

@WantingToWriteGood: Yes, correct, it says South Korea developed a mirror. Several paragraphs down, it goes on: "Regardless, after that first ship, despite building many, many more mirrors, none of them ever worked again...." Hope this clears up confusion, sounds like you just missed a line. i guess I could have put a para break there to emphasize that damnit, it didn't work again, because that's definitely the emotional context!

WantingToWriteGoodWantingToWriteGood2 months ago

@ja99: Thanks for taking time to explain the mirrors. I just missed that line even after reviewing the paragraph a couple of times before posting the question. A classic example of how the brain "fills in gaps" when we are not paying attention from the book "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman.

Falstaff60Falstaff608 days ago

Love a good science fiction story. Looking forward to how this one progresses.

About the mirrors. I would assume that the cubes, as automated ships, are in constant communication with each other, so that as soon as one was "taken down", that weakness was addressed and closed for all the others. The only way then for all ships to be taken down is have done it at the same time. Any future attempts to attack them would need to be coordinated to happen at the same time on all ships. Correct?

ja99ja997 days agoAuthor

@Falstaff60, yes, there is a presumption that the downed ship communicated HOW it was taken down because that info was knowable. Not all means of taking down a ship would be obvious to the ship - if the ship didn't know what had caused its own demise, or didn't have an effective defense, it couldn't communicate prevention methods to the other ships.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userja99@ja99
I'm cis-het male, normal guy with a penchant for writing, mostly adventure stories with some sex. Longer form is my preference, not just scenes. Under Fit529 I've set up patreon, and an AO3 account (archiveofourown), and a website (Fit529 Dotcom), and have recently put some ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES