All Comments on 'Hayin' Time'

by SouthernCrossfire

Sort by:
  • 44 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
My 2 cents

It seems like you have had experience on a farm. I liked the story line and characters. I liked the details you put in the story. You were right about the long build up. I liked that too. I like it when the writer puts the story first and then includes the sexy parts to round out the story. 5 stars. Thanks for your time and imagination.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Very Good Read!

Easy to read story. Realistic plot, humorous and throws the spotlight on the hard work required to operate a farm. Now I'm going to have a look at you other stories. Your writing has just become a favourite of mine. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Superb

Wonderful story.

junamjunamover 3 years ago

Thanks for the story. I thoroughly enjoyed the description of farm life and daily tasks. The drama surrounding the young couple’s personal lives made it interesting. I like the happy ending too. All in all, a pleasant surprise: a good story with little sexual content, which I was fine with in this case. Stay safe!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Great yarn

I grew up on a dairy farm in New England in the 50’s your descriptions of getting in the hay really resonated with me. Small bales no lifter, hot days with black clouds in the distance and a banana split at the end of the day - before milking. Enjoyed it a lot.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
praise

well there were a few complications, such as the hometown girl, or was it girls?

but you steadily crafted a well done story about the troubles that often accomplish a real romance starting and continuing. and your after 25 years sentences were well done, although you presented offspring--including twins--kinds casually.

hornier_bastardhornier_bastardover 3 years ago

I enjoyed that very much... thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

I enjoy the story

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Good story

Liked it very much: it reminded me of times spent on a farm too, without the girl unfortunately. Well written and easy to read. Thank you. (Cfumago)

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Sexy, and a nice slow build up

Eric would be ever sexier with a dusting of sexy chest hair for that now well-muscled chest!

SmuttyandfunSmuttyandfunover 3 years ago
Great Story

Great story. Really well written. Thanks for sharing.

cybojicybojiover 3 years ago
Nothing will

Get you in shape faster or better than farm work. Great story. 5

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I agree... Fantastic that you got the farmer's daughter !

I agree... Fantastic that you got the farmer's daughter !

Md1360Md1360over 3 years ago
Simply said, one of the best I've seen here on Literotica..

What a great read. I've been here for years and the title of my comment says it all!

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 3 years agoAuthor
Author Response

Thanks to everyone who’s commented on this story and to all who have favorited it. What great feedback! I’m glad the story touched some of you the right way and sparked (hopefully good) memories for a few of our former farm kids, too.

I forgot to include in the notes that this is a work of fiction and that all characters are completely made up. While it’s true that I spent most of my childhood growing up on a farm, I didn’t actually marry a farmer’s daughter as one commenter speculated. My wife was a city girl.

Finally, I apologize for the typos. I ran it through a spelling and grammar checker, but those aren't perfect; in rereading since I published, I’ve found five minor typos and a whole sentence that I left out (which would have helped that part make a little more sense). I may edit and resubmit someday after the contest is over…

For now, thanks again, everyone! Have a great weekend!

SouthernCrossfire

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Great read.

Great story, stacked a few bales of hay myself, alas no ranchers daughter.

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClassover 3 years ago

You forgot...

to mention the dust and getting covered with itchy hay chaff clinging to your sweat-covered body while baling hay. Otherwise you've accurately described haying time on the farm. By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed the entire story--particularly the HEA ending.

Good luck in the contest.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Back in the 80’s...

Girls didn’t shave bare.

teedeedubteedeedubover 3 years ago
'Didn't shave bare'

Oh, yes they did. My girl started the summer of '83. She called me one morning and asked me what to do about razor burn..........

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 3 years agoAuthor
Another author's response:

Thanks again for reading and for all of the great feedback! Thanks to those who've checked out my other stories, too.

Yes, hauling hay is dusty, scratchy business, particularly on hay baler or if you're a stacker in the barn. I really should have mentioned that. A word of advice: if you ever have the opportunity to take the much vaunted roll in the hay, take a thick blanket to "roll" on. You'll thank me afterward.

Thanks to Pinto for the very nice e-mail and to the anonymous commenter above. Both pointed out that young women didn't shave "bare" during the 80s. I now realize that was a poor choice of words on my part given the current meaning of the phrase. With the introduction of the high-waisted bikini and high-legged dance leotard (a la Flashdance, 1983) in the early to mid 80s, many women started removing what would have been exposed pubic hair with a razor (since many didn't like ingrown hairs and the scratchy result over time, the Brazilian wax treatment arrived in the U.S. in 1987). Some young women carried it a step further, experimenting with shaving "bare" at the time (i.e., removing hair from around the labia majora, but leaving the trimmed triangle of hair on the pubic mons. This sometimes became a "landing strip" in the 90s). While it wouldn't have been common, that's what I meant in this case for Rebecca's ruse to be successful.

HragsHragsover 3 years ago
Loved it.....goodjob !!!

Fantastic story. I had a few tears reading it. But they were tears of joy.

SmuttyandfunSmuttyandfunover 3 years ago
Great Story

Enjoyed reading your story. And thank for your kind comments. Hope you do well in the contest!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Your writing displays a sophistication and attention to detail that few stories show on this site. Simply put, it's one of the better-written stories I've read here.

That said, I caught some things that detracted from the experience.

1) Eric never told Rebecca he was talking to his mom, she never said he was, and yet he asked, "Then how'd you know I was talking to my mom?" I can forgive small grammar, spelling, and formatting mistakes, but this is a storyline inconsistency.

2) How could Rebecca and Josh not have heard Eric poking around in the barn, and climbing the ladder, when they were making out? When my wife and I sneak away to make out or have sex at her parents' house, we can hear our 35-pound toddler climbing the carpeted steps if he gets away from the grandparents and comes looking for us. Stands to reason Rebecca and Josh, not behind a closed door, would've heard full-grown Eric climbing a creaky ladder and shuffling around in hay.

3) The "oh, man! Really?" moment - you wrote the run-up to when Eric and Rebecca were going to have sex for the first time (presumably the first time she ever had sex), after 5 1/2 long pages of background story and buildup, and then stopped before showing the sex scene. That's the literary equivalent of getting blue-balled, in my opinion.

I'd have forgiven #2 and given it five stars anyway if there were not the inconsistency, and if you had depicted the sex scene as masterfully as you depicted everything else. I don't mind long "slow build" stories, but there has to be that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, or at least a warning in the beginning that despite all of the buildup that the reader will encounter, the story doesn't depict anything more sexual than a blowjob. This is Lit_erotica_, after all.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989over 3 years ago
Well done

Eric was a bit slow in some ways for a kid of twenty. It was a good story with the right ending.

DazzyDDazzyDover 3 years ago

Been there, done that!!! plus killing hogs, chickens, picking green beans, siloing, helping in the garden, and picking tomatoes. Do not weaken.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

One reason I enjoyed this so much is that my Dad was raised on a farm in central Kansas, and from my stays there on that farm with my grandparents as a small kid (warm memories), I developed a fondness for farmers and things farm related. This was augmented by various periods in my 73 year life of being around farm things, including working for a time at a business whose clientele was mostly farmers/ranchers. Also, as teen, helped a farmer for a day or so with haying. Of course haying is preferably done on hot days, plus those rectangular bales are heavy, so you're sweating and I remember the "dust" (pulverized alfalfa leaves and stems) sticking and the itchiness around my neck.

So, story had my attention.

Helped out by being very well written.

For Literotica, it was lacking in language problems (misspellings, grammar errors).

I looked up (on Youtube) and listened to Farmer's Daughter, by Rodney Atkins. There are other renditions by Atkins, but I enjoyed the official version which was accompanied by video farm scenes. And the "farmer's daughter" is a fetchingly pretty gal who looks like, well ..... a farmer's daughter.

There is also THE Farmer's daughter by Merle Haggard.

But it is an entirely different song with the theme of the farmer giving away his prized treasure to a city boy, featuring the day of the wedding. However, one of the comments on Haggard's song is appropriate to this story. It was 4 years ago by a Carolyn Bozeman:

"I am a farmer's daughter and I married a city boy. Best thing I ever did. I had one of a kind, like Merle was."

Farmer's Daughter by Atkins fits this story better than The Farmer's Daughter by Haggard [notice the difference in song titles], since Atkins' song is about a young guy who starts working for a farmer. The rigors of the job cause him to hate the job -- until he meets the farmer's daughter and then he sings how he loves his job. (Also, I enjoyed the tune/music/singing of Atkins' song.)

Great story all around.

Paul in Oklahoma

flareb2343flareb2343over 3 years ago
TYPOS

I read these stories for enjoyment .English in school was never a strong point. so what if are some errors .

BufoAmericanusBufoAmericanusalmost 3 years ago

I enjoyed your imaginative, well written story very much!!! Keep up the good work!

linnearlinnearover 2 years ago

Very nice, young love, A wonderful thing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Becky is a bitch, especially when dick Josh is around. Nothing romantic about an immature brat

FredHuckFredHuckalmost 2 years ago

Excellent story and even better Storytelling...

5 🌟s

Fred

clearcreekclearcreekalmost 2 years ago

Good story. I let my neighbor run her cows in my orchard. She saves feed and I don't have to mow the orchard

MountainMan1336MountainMan1336almost 2 years ago

A very good story, I gave it five stars. It did remind of when I was a kid and working each summer for some of the local farmers here in Vermont. Great memories of a bygone era. Back in the late 60's and early 70's when I was a kid there were over 100,000 family run farms here in Vermont now there are less than 1,000 family run farms. Oh well, I guess that is what is called progress these days. Thank you for telling a great story that made an old man smile with the memories.

LearnedMinx818LearnedMinx818almost 2 years ago

SouthernCrossfire, this was a very well-written piece. You captured the frustration of youth and the misunderstandings of what is not said. Thank you for this writing. I look forward to any other story you write. You're my new favorite writer.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I loved the story! It brought back my own memories of baling hay for a local farmer.

a_reader_from_germanya_reader_from_germanyalmost 2 years ago

Well, what can I say, I grew up and am living in a rural area. Neither my parents nor I had farm related jobs, still I did a lot of farming and gardening chores. We live on chernozem (black earth), so there's not much grassland around. Still, the evolution of bale shapes and sizes is about the same that you observed, it's just that they are straw bales. Thanks for another pleasant story.

Ravey19Ravey19over 1 year ago

Excellent story and loved the making hay side and like many others here I remember those days well although late 1960s UK was probably vastly different from the one you depict although the basic principles are the same; cut it, dry it, bale it, haul it, store it.

FaithfulToWifeFaithfulToWifeover 1 year ago

Loved the story - relatable characters. All characters treated with dignity and realism.

drycreeksdrycreeksover 1 year ago

Very very good g

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2ICabout 1 year ago

This is a heartwarming story. I always smile and reflect on what it was like being on a farm each time I read this story.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Very nice story. It was even educational about horse and farming! A nice little bonus. 5 stars

kaotic2kaotic23 months ago

Really lovely story. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Thanks, SouthernCrossfire,

For those of us who have worked in a hay maw the story was even sweeter. 5

The Hoary Cleric

tennesseeredtennesseeredabout 1 month ago

Nice bit of writing. I like your style. I married a farmer's daughter. A no nonsense and dependable girl, she is.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSouthernCrossfire@SouthernCrossfire
4/4/24 Update: "Crossed Paths," a story of old friends reuniting, was recently published for the Wicked Games challenge, in which everything isn't as it seems. Hope you'll read and enjoy! If you're looking for something older, you might try "The Valentine's Dance," a late 1...