He Can Do Her No Wrong

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Shelly, where is Wes..."

As Hayden rounded the corner, he was confronted with the shocking sight of his wife sitting on the sofa with a very contrite and somewhat frightened looking Lewis. They were sitting side by side, His hands clasped in both of hers. Lewis started to pull his hand away, but Shelly held on even tighter and refused to let go of him.

Hayden started to speak, but Shelly cut him off forcefully.

"Hayden! Weston is at a friend's house. Lewis is our guest, and I will not stand for a repeat of what transpired in your office the other day." She admonished him severely. "Now sit down. I want you to listen to what Lewis has to say." She pointed to his recliner angrily.

"No. I will not. I apologize for the way I acted. I realize that I let my emotions get the better of me. This is my home so, Shelly, you have two choices here. He goes, or I go."

Shelly was truly shocked by Hayden's ultimatum. All three appeared to be stunned into immobility. Her mouth was hanging wide open in disbelief.

"Make up your mind."

Hayden started to turn and head back for the garage when he heard Lewis say, "I better go, Shelly." He got up. Thankfully Shelly let go of his hand. "Again, Hayden, I apologize. I-I-I just wanted to talk about..." He shook his head sadly.

"It's probably a good idea, honey. I apologize for my husband's rudeness. Look, I will talk with Hayden, and I promise you we will get this worked out." She walked him to the front door, gave him a quick peck on the cheek, then whispered something that Hayden couldn't make out. When she closed the door behind Lewis, she spun around quickly.

"Hayden, what on earth is wrong with you? Why are you acting this way? It's beneath you and embarrassing at the same time."

"Listen to me, Shell. I thought the deal was that once you got pregnant, he would disappear from our lives. What the hell does he want anyway?"

"If you'd just given him a chance to explain, you would already know the answer to your question."

"He is probably just lonely and wants to fuck you again!"

"No, honey, I asked him if he wanted to, and he turned me down. He said you were too nice a guy to do that too."

"What the hell!"

"Oh, calm down, Hayden. I wasn't really going to have sex with him, I just wanted to see what his real motivation was. Besides, I've told you before I would never have sex with anyone else unless I told you first."

"That isn't making me feel any better, Shell. If you have sex with him, I will be gone so fast it will make your head spin!"

"Oh pooh." Quit being so melodramatic all the time. You aren't ever leaving me. Do you want to know what he really wanted? And, why?"

"I guess I do, but it pisses me off that he showed up here after I told him to leave my family alone..."

Shelly quickly interrupted. "He didn't just show up here, I contacted him and invited him here."

"Oh, for God's sake, Shelly, why would you do that?"

"TO FIND OUT WHAT HE WANTS, dummy!" She shouted in frustration. "Look, Hayden, I was as worried as you when you told me he was back. So, I had to find out, and it's serious, honey. I feel bad for him.

"Apparently, shortly after, well after he left our lives, he contracted measles..."

"Measles, sheesh, I thought that was eradicated decades ago?"

"Apparently not. Anyway, he was engaged to be married a couple of years after. Starting a family was foremost in the minds of him and his fiancée, so they had themselves tested. They knew that measles could impact his ability to have kids. I guess it's normally a temporary condition, but in rare cases, it can be permanent. That's what happened to him. His fiancée canceled the wedding and left him."

"Wow, I guess that is a tough one." A very bad thought came to Hayden's mind at that moment. "Oh my..."

"No, Hayden, don't even think those thoughts. That's not what he wants. He just asked if he could get involved somehow in Lewis' life. He just wants to watch him grow up. Like maybe an uncle or something?" Shelly was anticipating another outburst at this point. None came. She was surprised so she carried on. "Hayden, I trust him. And...well...we do owe a great deal to him?"

All the usual fears and concerns flashed through Hayden's mind. Each of which, had he verbalized them, would have made him seem small and weak. He held his tongue until he could adequately express his opposition.

"What do we really owe him, Shelly?" I mean, it was a quid pro quo arrangement with him. You got him a terrific job, not to mention all the sex he got to have with you!" Ouch, I didn't mean to say that last part out loud. Damn it. "I mean, you also had him sign a legally binding document giving up all parental rights." No, I don't think we owe him anything." Even Hayden was surprised at how calm he was.

"But, Hayden..."

"But what, Shell? Doesn't my opinion even count in this decision?" He was more exasperated than angry. Probably because he already knew he was holding a losing hand.

"Of course, it does, honey. But I know you. You aren't going to say no."

"I'm not?"

"No, you're not. You're going to put that left-brain dominant intellect of yours, that I love so much, to work figuring out how we can make this work."

"That's really magnanimous of me." He mocked.

Now Shelly was exasperated, and Hayden viewed that as a small victory, for whatever it was worth.

"Hayden, really! Answer me with one question. What has Lewis done to you that is so terrible? I mean really."

"Seriously, Shelly? I had to watch him having sex with my wife for two months, and you're asking me what he's done to me?" He was incredulous. How could she be so obtuse?

"Honey, Lewis never did anything to you...I did." She barely whispered it. Shelly couldn't make eye contact with him. "And, you know why I did it."

At that moment, Hayden had an epiphany. She was right. Lewis hadn't done anything to him. And for that matter neither had Shelly. He did it to himself. He had the power to say no, and he didn't. He couldn't say no to her. What was wrong with him? He vowed to himself that someday he would find the answer to that question.

"Let's just go slowly with this, Shell. Can we at least do that, so we don't get Weston confused?" Hayden was begging, and he knew it made him seem small. But he couldn't help himself.

"Honey, Weston will never be confused about who his father is." She clung lovingly to a chagrined and bemused Hayden. She professed her undying love and gratitude for his understanding. Oh yeah, and then there was the sex, too.

Hayden and Lewis' relationship was cordial but strained. Shelly and Lewis were very close for many years. Their relationship was a constant source of conflict between Hayden and Shelly. He never thought Shelly committed any improprieties with Lewis, but their closeness irritated him. Shelly never seemed to understand Hayden's position that Lewis' presence served as a constant reminder of Weston's parentage.

In truth though, it was probably how little Shelly seemed to care for Hayden's feelings on the subject that was more hurtful to Hayden. He had to see Lewis at birthday parties, holidays, and a couple of weekends each month. Initially, Shelly seemed to go out of her way to placate Hayden's fears and uncertainties. After a couple of years though she told Hayden to get over himself, that she was tired of his childishness. After that conversation Hayden thought that she deliberately became over solicitous of Lewis. The problem eventually solved itself.

Ten years after entering Weston's life as his uncle, Lewis received a promotion across the country and moved out of their day-to-day lives. Hayden was relieved when it happened. Weston continued to receive phone calls, cards and presents on holidays from his Uncle Lewis. He also helped Weston's parents with his college tuition. He never once tried to be anything but a good uncle to Weston. He passed away many years later, having never married.

A REALLY WEIRD SUNDAY DINNER

Hayden had just shoveled another heaping fork full of Shelly's mouthwatering lasagna that he loved so much that he asked for it every Sunday night. Which naturally, Shelly refused to do by asking him if that was the only dish she made, that he liked? Although they hadn't been married all that many years, Hayden had learned enough to know that the only correct answer was, "Oh, of course not dear. You are a fabulous cook. I love everything you make."

This only made Shelly Harrumph and become pensive. He thought that an odd response. Things got weirder when she told young Weston to go his room and finish his homework. When Weston started to argue, she simply gave him the mom death stare, so he slunk off to the relative safety of his bedroom.

After Weston left the room, and a distressingly long pause, came the very explosive question from Shelly. "Hayden, why do you love me?"

Oh crap! Where did that come from? Now, the statement that sends shivers down the spine of all husbands in the civilized world is, 'Honey we have to talk.' But the 'Why do you love me?' question is in reality, far more dangerous for the average husband. With 'we have to talk' the husband knows his day has gone to shit. It's just a question of how bad? But, with 'why do you love me' there is a lot that can transpire. Depending on his response, the husband can either be a hero who has a wife that worships him or end up just as divorced as in the 'we have to talk' scenario.

Hayden studied Shelly carefully. She wasn't being playful, angry, or sarcastic. She seemed timid, worried, and fearful. To him it seemed as if she didn't really know why he loved her. Or even understand how he could? The juxtaposition being that he could now see two Shelly's in his world. The one he understood was the self-confident, outgoing, and free-spirited muse that he loved deeply. But, this side of her was completely unchartered territory for him. Of course, some might say that a husband who only had to deal with two personalities with his wife was lucky, but that didn't help Hayden at this moment.

He was smart enough to know that he shouldn't quickly spout some mindless platitudes, but it was that hesitation that cost him dearly. Shelly assumed his hesitancy meant he didn't love her, and she fled from the table crying, and locked herself in the bathroom. It took Hayden ninety minutes to talk her off the toilet she had planted herself on while crying hysterically. It took him a full month before things returned to normal in the Meridian household. Still, it left Hayden in a state of uneasiness in his understanding of who his wife really was. A couple of guys at work who had been married over thirty years told Hayden that they still hadn't figured out their wives, so he tried not to overreact to what he felt was very out of character for Shelly.

As married life usually goes, things got back to normal after Hayden found a way to soothe Shelly's insecurities and fears. And as usual for them after a fight, the make up sex was stupendous.

A RUINED SUNDAY DINNER

It was an excellent meal, as usual. Although Hayden did think it odd that Weston had a school council meeting on a Weekend night, he did have to concede that he enjoyed the peace and quiet. He would never admit it, but part of him was looking forward to when it would just be he and Shelly again. When she served her homemade bread pudding for dessert, Hayden knew something was up.

"Hayden, honey, we need to talk."

Oh, just perfect. Another great Sunday dinner ruined. "What do we need to talk about this time, dear?" Based on the pinched face Shelly responded with, Hayden was sure his sarcasm wasn't lost on her.

"Really, Hayden? Is that necessary?"

"What do you want, Shell?" Since the meal was now spoiled, he didn't want to waste any more of his evening.

Shelly gave a long slow worried sigh. "I've always told you that I will never lie to you, honey. I will never hide things from you. I learned my lesson way back before we got married. I also told you who I am, and that hasn't changed either..."

"Please, Shell, just get to the point. You're killing me here." He seriously wanted to finish his dessert but had just lost his appetite.

"Hayden, honey, I have been seeing someone." One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, one thousand four, one thousand five..." Sweetheart, are you turning blue?" Shelly was truly concerned. She knew this would be rough on him. however, she also knew that since Hayden was a man, he would naturally overreact and assume the worst. So, she should probably explain further before he passed out.

"Hayden, please take a breath, I'm afraid I made it sound a lot worse than it is." She reached across the table and held his hand. "I'm not having sex with anyone else, sweetheart. And, I have no intention of doing so, if that's what's worrying you?"

Hayden was finally able to suck in a breath. It was the same feeling as the time he got punched in the gut in junior high school and got the wind knocked out of him. Someday, I have to find out why she does this to me. It's not like she enjoys it, but she is torturing me just the same. "Please explain yourself, Shell. And if it's not too much trouble, try not to rip my heart out and eat it in front of me while you, do it?" He foamed.

"Ewww, that's a little graphic, honey. Listen to me. You know how I am. I love being around creative people. I need that stimulation. I don't want to bore you; we have talked about this numerous times..."

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SHELL!" He took an intense breath to try to calm his nerves. Yelling wasn't going to solve anything here. "I'm sorry...Please, just tell me what is going on?"

"Well, Honey, to cut to the chase..."

"Finally!"

"I am probably having what you men, ah most husbands, I suppose, would refer to it as a, well an emotional affair." Oh crap! There he goes again. Well, he did say to get to the point.

"I haven't had sex with him, Hayden. And, I have no intention of doing so. It's just that I find it so exhilarating when I'm around him. He makes me feel young, vibrant, and alive. To answer several of your questions before you ask. He is one of my company's suppliers. And, yes, I find him attractive. He's single. Divorced actually..." Hayden started to interrupt but she cut him off with a shake of her head. "I'm sure he does want to have sex with me, honey. But it isn't going to happen. Honestly, though, that is part of the attraction for me. It adds to the excitement of it for me."

"Good lord, Shelly. You have got to be kidding me. Do you take perverse pleasure out of making me suffer? I know you told me that being married to you would be difficult, but I didn't think you would try your damnedest to make it painful!"

"Oh, stop it, Hayden. Please, let's be adults about this and have a rational conversation. Can we?"

"Okay, Shell. Let's have an adult conversation. You tell me you won't ever have sex with him, but what have you done besides 'just talking? I haven't forgotten about the two yo-yos' back in college!"

"That's exactly why we are having this conversation, Hayden," she said earnestly. "I've hugged him, I've held his hand, and I've kissed him. NOT a lover's kiss but a kiss in greeting and when saying goodbye. Nothing more than a peck on the cheek. I haven't done a single thing with him that I haven't done dozens of times with my girlfriends and coworkers." It was the truth and Shelly was very proud of her answer.

"Listen, Shell..." She rolled her eyes at him. "Do you share things about us, our marriage?

"Oh, stop it, Hayden. Let's not play games. I already said I know by a man's definition, I'm having an 'emotional affair.' I freely admit it. But let me ask you a question. Why is what I'm doing with him any different from what I do all the time with my women friends?"

"Oh, come on, Shelly. You can't be that naïve? Of course, it's different. The fact that it is a man, changes everything..."

"That's just your ego talking. It doesn't change it, if you don't let it, Hayden. I'll let you in on another secret, sweetheart. Every married woman has had, or will have, an 'emotional affair,' at some point in their marriage."

Hayden's eyes shot open in disbelief. "I don't believe..."

"You better believe it, because it's true. But they will never admit it to their spouses, not ever. Hell, some of them won't even admit it to themselves! They fool themselves into thinking that they have a male 'friend' they go to lunch with and talk about things."

"Excuse me, Shelly, but that is just B.S.! Not one of my friends has ever..."

"Are you even listening to me? They...never...tell... their husbands! I'm different, Hayden. Unlike most wives, my life is an open book to you!

"The truth is though, that having a 'friend' like that makes a wife wet. They will masturbate to sexual fantasies with their lunch friend. And, they are frequently thinking of their 'friend' when they are having sex with their husbands! It helps get them through the low spots in their lives. Women have to be so many different things to so many different people, all the time, they mostly just want to have something of their own, something just about them." She thought for a minute before continuing. "I admit that some women take it too far, but I won't..."

"Do you ever do that Shell? Masturbate to fantasies with your so-called friend? Hayden was furious.

"Yes, I do, honey." Now it was Shelly's turn to get angry. "God damn it, Hayden. You know I can never lie to you. But, look me in the eyes and tell me you don't do the same!" He remained silent.

"Go ahead, Hayden, lie to me and tell me you never masturbate thinking of another woman. Tell me that when we have sex, you are never thinking about Pamela Anderson or some other silicon-enhanced bitch. Lie to me and say no!"

"The truth is, Shell, is, yes, I sometimes jerk off thinking of other women. But, whether you choose to believe me or not, I have never thought about another woman while having sex with you."

"You're kidding?" Shelly exhaled. Wow, I must be doing a better job than I thought. She actually smiled at the notion. "Hayden, look at me. Can you honestly say that you don't think I love you? Do you really believe that I love you any less because of this? I know it hurts, but you can't for a moment believe I hurt you on purpose. You are the center of my world, and you know it. Do you believe I'm cheating on you because of my thoughts and fantasies? This really isn't a big deal."

"Of course, I love you. That's what confuses me so much about why you do these things. And you're wrong, Shell. It is a big deal, and it doesn't really matter if you intend to or not. It doesn't change the fact that it hurts me deeply."

"Listen, Hayden. The bottom line is this. I have made love with one man since the day we became engaged, you. I have had sex with one other man in all that time, and you were in the room every time it happened. I promised you that I would tell you before I ever had sex with another man. And I've never lied to you."

"Somehow, that STILL doesn't make me feel any better, Shelly."

"Would it help if you met my friend? So, you could see that..."

"NO! Damn it. I don't want to know his name, see his face, or ever hear any mention of him again for the rest of our lives. This is going to take some time for me to deal with it. I can't believe you are doing this to me." He was severely wounded and confused. "I'm going to bed."

Not surprisingly, Hayden couldn't sleep. He just lay on the bed quietly staring at the ceiling. Around midnight, Shelly came into their bedroom and went through her normal bedtime routine, except that she remained silent for the entire 45 minutes it took her to get into their bed. Even though she knew Hayden was awake. She felt his eyes following her. She very much wanted to say something to Hayden but couldn't think where to start without causing another fight. It always crushed her when they fought. She loved Hayden so much.