All Comments on 'He Stopped Loving Her Today'

by Daddysgirlfl

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
HottieOlwenHottieOlwen8 months ago

Wonderful! I have to confess that I'm not a C&W fan, but I loved this story. You write beautifully Dg, and even when you ramp the sex down, I find your stories stimulating and erotic. This is a perfect example, so it gets 5 stars from me.

oldsage_1oldsage_18 months ago

Damn! A bit melancholy but so well told. I knew I shouldn't read it tonight but you are one of my top favorite authors. Absolute wonderful story and George Jones (the "Old Opossum") is one of my all time favorite C&W talents along with Patsy Cline. I can close my eyes and hear every tune you mentioned in my mind. I'll be hearing Patsy singing "The Tennessee Waltz" now for days! Thanks!

Always look forward to a DaddysGirlfl story. Keep them coming please even the melancholy ones!

Cheers

SAGE

PS: Maybe I'll reread "Boiled Peanuts" to cheer me up! 😉

Stargazer5154Stargazer51548 months ago

A 5 star poignant story that brought tears to my eyes. You have a way making your characters real. I'm not a C&W fan so I didn't read it the first time around. I'm quite happy that I rectified that mistake.

The one thing that I'm missing is why Travis didn't respond to Sara's letters?

muskyboymuskyboy8 months ago

No romance here, just a ridiculously sad story.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

"He Stopped Loving Her Today" is my favorite song of all time. I differ from you in that I interpret it as written from a man's point of view after the love of his life left him. It mirrors my life in that scenario. I sat alone many a night listening to the song. Four stars.

JimDiamondJimDiamond7 months ago

That was a great read! Especially for me. A couple of days ago my mate and I had a fight about her wanting me to do something for her I had promised Instead I was taking my grandson out to play in the woods. After some heated words, I laughed and said, "You know you love me anyway." As I walked away she said, "Well go on a walk out the door, maybe I don't love you any more." That stuck in my mind and a little later when I returned with her still mad and looking daggers at me, that old George Jones song popped into my head. So I walked over and grabbed her in a hug and rewrote the song as I sang to my grandson--

"She stopped loving me today.

Said she don't love me anyway

Go on and walk out the door

Cause I don't love ya anymore

I went on singing it to her, making up new lyrics as I started nuzzling her neck. Soon she was smiling and my grandson was laughing at us. At the end of it I could not help thinking that some new male singer should really use the same tune and and do the answer to it. When I was young and singing in bars I would often make up the words if I forgot a part of a song I was "covering". An old has been I guess it sometimes comes back. At the time Georges song was popular I laughed a bit at Country Music, but now the damn song seems stuck in my head, and your story is not helping it go away. Which means you are a damn good story teller!

DaddysgirlflDaddysgirlfl7 months agoAuthor

Sometimes that's the way life goes, muskyboy. Relationships aren't all roses. Stargazer5154 wasn't that sad that he was so wrapped up in his life that he didn't? She was gone by the time he took the time to contact her. JimDIamond, doing a remake of it would be pretty awesome. I think it's a perfect point in time too. And thanks for sharing that story. So sweet. THANKS xoxo to all. I call it a success if I can bring out emotion, good or bad.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Wow! That was one hell of a story. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy7 months ago

Work to live, not live to work!

5

Dirtmover52Dirtmover527 months ago

This beautiful story you wrote truly shines. It pays special attention to a timeless song. For a lifelong fan of country as myself, I could hear every song you incorporated into your wonderful story. It took me on a ride I will take over again every time I reread it. My heart sang, my stomach had butterflies. The way you wrote it from her point of you made me really think about the lyrics to songs I’ve heard and loved my entire life. From Patsy’s walking after midnight to Willies always on my mind, I hear them from her point of you and hope I do for years to come. George’s Tennessee whiskey (which is my all time favorite song to crab a gal and dance) and Garth’s The dance really made me feel the love she had for him. Great job you’ve won the contest in my book.

tangledweedtangledweed7 months ago

Invoking George Jones sets the bar pretty high, but Daddysgirlfl doesn't disappoint here. The story follows the song perfectly.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Beautifully written piece! As you get a little older, these types of stories carry a lot more meaning.

NellskitchenNellskitchen7 months ago

"I tipped my head back and let the water flow through my hair while Midnight's soapy, slick hands mapped my body."

'He Stopped Loving Her Today,' is filled with bits of human warmth just like this. Nicely done and give us more! NK

JakeShadeJakeShade6 months ago

Hot Damn woman!

You really nailed this one. I started following you after reading one of your Daddy/Daughter (feeding my Daughter In Law crush!) which is why this one rolled up into sights. The George Jones and Patsy Cline references tickled me in all the right places. I'm sure I'm old enough to be your father (born in the 50s) which is it's own extra tweak, but we were rural with no radio reception (deep in the Rocky Mountains) most of the time (except... KOA and KOMA sometimes after midnight with lots of static on an ancient Zenith Waveguide meant mostly for short-wave).. So all I ever heard to speak of was local country-boy bands playing at the county fair or similar. Maybe a record or two... but always country.

Until I moved to a small city on the southern border and actually caught a job at the local radio station (started as a janitor, proved myself as a program typist and handyman, and had my own nighttime rock show by age 16). I played only rock (but that included country-rock) on my show but listened to the country classics on my own time. Country had already started to be bubble-gummy by then (70s).

My partner grew up (also) rural but with a lot of music. Her father used to go out on the town every Friday night, singing "After Midnight" as he slicked his hair back and doused with aftershave while telling her that "no, you can't go with me tonight! I'm out to paint the town blue!". Her daughter (now middle-age) is the subject of my most acute crush and while she grew up in the 90s with every kind of music you could ask for has a special place in her heart for the country classics and melts me everytime I hear her singing a Patsy Cline, especially "After Midnight"...

Your story here is so amazingly well crafted that I will be re-reading it a few times just to indulge in the craft of it (as well as the sexual tweak) and I'm a fan of collaborative writing so find that your having "help from a sister" an extra fascination and it's own damn tweak... sounds like you and sis have the same fondness for Dad maybe?

Keep up the good (great) work!

-Jake

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

No comment, My eyes are bleary, I wanna d.e

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDaddysgirlfl@Daddysgirlfl
Life happened and I will be back to writing soon. In the meantime I just read something I'd like to share. xo A MESSAGE FOR MEN... I get a lot of random messages on here from strange men asking what turns me on. So, I thought I might just put it out there because I think I sp...