HeartWood

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He leaned his head close.

“Put your cheek against the bark.” She said.

His eyes slitted open. She was serious. He leaned his cheek into the bark.

“Now feel and listen.”

William was not sure what she expected him to feel or hear. He felt nothing, but the tree. He opened his eyes and shrugged. “Nothing.”

“Quiet your mind and open your heart.” Mistletoe covered his hand with her own. He closed his eyes again.

“What is it that I am supposed to feel or hear? This is a tree.” He lifted his cheek off the trunk. His logical mind was winning out, until very lightly he felt a movement beneath his hand. He knew it had to be the pulse in his own hand.

But there it was again, like a knock. The vibration of the knock reverberated throughout his body. Her eyes were locked on his. He sucked in a breath and gasped. He lay his cheek back on the trunk and did as she said. He listened.

Very faintly he heard a deep sound. It was slow and rhythmic like a drum. The sound corresponded with the thrumming motion under his hand. A tingling feeling entered the top of his head, spread down to his chest, and he felt a lightness in his heart.

Mistletoe removed her hand from his and drifted both of them up his arms. “Embrace her.” She whispered in his ear.

He stretched his arms around the trunk of the tree and hugged it. As he turned his head, Mistletoe's sweet breath floated across his lips. He wanted to taste. He leaned his head in and she danced away.

“What is it?” He asked her. She had moved away from him and he missed the warmth of her body so close to his. He watched in wonder as she began to sway and spin around, carefree, as if to unheard music. She smiled and hummed as she spun and sang to him.

“That is the beat of Mother's heartwood. All trees have heartwood within them. It is what creates life and sustains them. It is what feeds each tree's dryad or spirit. Come, celebrate with me.” She slowed her dancing and extended her hand out towards him.

He took it and joined her, caught up in the magic of her and the wonder of this gift. He could claim it was a revelation, but when he felt and heard the drumming, his own heart synchronized with it and he knew. His soul remembered.

Their hands touched and held as their bodies danced away from one another. She was so graceful as she lifted her legs high and did a complicated series of steps. He tried to follow, but had always had two left feet when it came to dancing.

Rather than embarrass himself in front of the enchantress, he pulled her in and spun her out. She let go and pirouetted away. She was so graceful, like a swan or a doe. Long legs, light on her toes, it was as if she floated on the wind. He looked down, relieved that her feet were still connected to earth.

***

Mistletoe grinned impishly at him and found her way back into his arms, tilting her head up to the sky, singing with joy, pushing away the sadness. Her entire being filled with light as she reached inside William and connected the first tendrils of her soul to his. She had known from the look on his face the moment he started to feel Mother's heartwood beating. She knew his mind would suggest that she was using magic or something to make him feel. He would never believe the magic lived within him.
 
She wrapped her fingers in his hair. He swept her up into his arms and spun them around and around, until dizzy, they both fell, rich laughter and tinkling giggles filling the forest air. His body cushioned hers. The vines from her hair crept down and entwined around them.

He wrenched away from her.

“Is something wrong?” She asked, reaching out to him. He shrugged away from her and a hurt look came across her face.

“There is not a lot of time left for me.” She had to make him understand. “When a tree is cut down or dies, the heartwood stops beating. When the heartwood stops beating - spirits like me - cease to exist.” She dropped her hands to her side.

“I am afraid.” Her green eyes swam with unshed tears.

“Wait, you said your name is Mistletoe?” She saw him snap back to reality as he pushed at the encroaching vines. The vines receded and she looked into his eyes. She was hurt. She saw the tension in his face and had a feeling she had overstepped.

“That is correct.” She watched him for a reaction to her confession.

***

William felt like the earth would open a chasm and swallow him up, any minute. Mistletoe. He'd been warned about forest nymphs and about Mistletoe. This was not good.

One moment he had felt like a child; carefree and happy. Then he had felt the change in the air, in himself. When he felt bonds wrapping around him, he knew it was magic. He panicked. She was weaving an enchantment on him. He knew it. He had to stop her. He opened his mouth to accuse.

“William, you must go. Someone needs your help. Quickly. Go now.” The command from her came out of nowhere. She had stood at attention with her hand gripping his arm. She fueled her voice with determination. “Your grandfather is ill!” She shouted at him as he stood there unmoving.

***

Grandfather.

The name finally registered in his head and William took off at a sprint for the field. Mistletoe grabbed his hand and ran alongside him. William glanced over at her. She seemed to bound like a deer, her feet barely touching the ground. The wind tangled in her hair and while he was out of breath after a few minutes, she was breathing quite easily. They rounded the split-wooden rail fence of the paddock. Elfie reared up on her hind legs and whinnied plaintively, totally uncharacteristic of the filly.

They came to a halt in front of the old clapboard farm house, exchanging looks with each other. William pushed the screened door open and flew in, heading for the kitchen. Mistletoe followed behind. The door slammed shut with a loud bang. Mistletoe jumped, startled, and smashed right into William's solid back. He stood, bracing his arms in the doorway of the room. She peeked over his shoulder. Grandfather lay on the floor, clutching his chest, and gasping for breath. William just stood there, unmoving.

“Grandfather!” William flew into action, grabbed for the phone, and dialed 9-1-1. After answering the operator's questions, he knelt down beside his grandfather. “What can I do?” He asked him.

“Will.” His grandfather's voice rasped. “Will, there is nothing to be done.” He coughed and then his eyes landed on the girl by Will's side. A look passed between the two.

“Who is this enchanting creature?” His voice slightly stronger.


“What? It's your heart. Aspirin. You need aspirin.” He shot to his feet and ran for the bathroom, throwing over his shoulder.

“Her name is Mistletoe.” He grabbed the bottle of aspirin out of the medicine cabinet and fumbled trying to open the child-safety lock of the top. He ran back to him. When he returned, the girl was bent over his grandfather murmuring softly.

“Move.” He barked. “He needs this medicine.” He told her. Mistletoe ignored him and continued to chant. She placed her hands over his heart and linked to him, seeking out the source of distress. Loud screeching sounds of the sirens could be heard in the distance. Too distant! The old man's hand gripped her wrist and he pulled her down to him.

***

“Let me go.” His words pleaded. “It's my time. You know this as well as I do. Help him understand, sweet spirit.”

Mistletoe blinked at him in surprise. She gazed into his kind gray eyes and staggering recognition hit, slamming into pit of her stomach.

She recalled the gray-eyed gaze of the little boy she had helped so very long ago. She watched the same eyes smile in excitement as he knelt on one knee before her very own tree, and professed his love and devotion to an even more familiar woman.

She saw those eyes glisten with tears as he held his toddler girl-child up to her tree; pudgy arms hugging Mother-tree and kissing the bark. That was the day that the little girl-child became her very best friend in the world.

She would not give thought to the day that his daughter, Harmony, (William's mother) betrayed one and all.

She saw the man's gray eyes devoid of light as he held the pale and frail hand in his own, right before he lowered the body of his wife into the ground, before the wise old Oak tree.

“So you are my love's Mistletoe.” He acknowledged with a slight lifting of his head.

Mistie nodded and wrapped her arms gently around this man; at once a boy, and yet also like a father. How had she never realized it before? Mother-tree's one true love. She began to piece things together in her mind. It all began to make sense to her now. Tears slid down her cheek to land on his hand that she held tightly.

“Are you here to heal me or to steal me away?” He questioned, a slight smile tugging at his lips. He was unable to look away from her.

“I am here to bring peace.” She said simply, as he squeezed her hand. She squeezed back.

Mistletoe was pulled further into the old man's thoughts and memories.

***

William hadn't been able to attend his grandmother's funeral. His grandfather had understood his grandson's grief and did not hold it against his family that none were there for him when his wife died, when he had needed them. This was what needed to be. How ever could he explain to his family the true nature of his wife, of their mother, their grandmother?

His daughter had shown an aptitude for Earth magic in her younger years, but when the love her life was stolen from her when their son was only one year old, she had turned her back and forsook her nature forever. She had denounced her own mother, her own essence. This was essentially what had driven his wife over the edge. And yet, he had always known that one day this would come to be. Her tree-sense had foreseen it long ago.

She had made it clear when he took her to his bed, that one day she would have to return to the Earth. He should feel fortunate. He had had her in his life up until old age. They had loved each other that much. She had made concessions, bargains, and pleaded to be allowed to remain. She had promised to continue her Earth work and use her magic for the humans. And because she had kept her promise, she had gotten to stay with her beloved family for much longer than it was ever allowed.

“Do something!” The anguished voice growled at her, snapping her back to the present. She yelped as William plucked her off her feet and shoved her away from his grandfather. Couldn't he see she was trying to help? She sat on the floor, watching. He tipped the aspirin into his grandfather's mouth. She knew it was a useless task. This man was ready to rejoin his soul mate.

***

“Grandfather fight!” He knelt at his feet and shouted in the face of the old man. “You are stronger than this.” His grandfather's sickly pallor alarmed him.

“This farm needs you. I need you! We all need you. God, I-I can't lose another person in my life. This isn't fair. Grandfather, please.” He pleaded with the old man.

William felt helpless. He was not good with illness, with the dying, with the dead. He hadn't even been able to attend Grandmother's funeral. His mother had told him how distraught he had been as a little boy, standing before his dead father's casket, shaking him to wake up.

“Grandmother needs me more.” Was the soft, labored reply.

“Let me go William. I miss her. I need to be with her. You will not be alone. I promise. Be a good boy and take care of the farm for me. See that the sapling grows big and strong so that your own children seek its shelter and wisdom. So that your grandchildren will climb it. Take care, my boy. You are a gifted young man. Your mother turned her back on the Earth, but I know in my heart that you will not. You must restart the cycle.” He whispered.

His grandfather was talking gibberish and making no sense. The sound of the sirens was growing closer and he knew finally help would be here. There was an incessant tugging on his arm. William pivoted on his knee and glared at the girl. She let go and rose from the floor, pointing.

He shielded his eyes as his jaw dropped open. A beautiful woman stood before them. She was taller than he, had intense green eyes, and long flowing silver-white hair. She was glowing. A bright light haloed her entire body and she was moving purposefully towards them.

“What the hell?” William reached out and connected with Mistletoe's hand. She had scooted beside him, giving him her strength.

“My sweet boy.” The familiar voice announced. She looked almost like Grandmother. But that couldn't be. William argued in his head. Grandmother was dead.

“Willy-nilly.” The woman used Grandmother's term of endearment for him. He dropped Mistie's hand and watched the woman. She squatted down beside him and stroked his cheek with her glowing fingertips.

“Gran- Grandmother?” He choked out. She nodded, a serene smile on her face.

“Do not be frightened, William. I have come to bring Grandfather home with me. I have been away from him for far too long. He has done right by me, by my kind, by Earth Mother. It is now your destiny to continue his work. Help to seed this land. Nurture the earth, tend to the fields, heal the animals. I have brought someone to help you do that.” She swept her hand out and took Mistletoe's hand in hers, gently placing it in William's, then leaned over and kissed William's brow.

***

“Are I-I not to die with you, Mother-tree?” Mistletoe hesitated to ask, but seized the moment, needing validation for her own existence.

“Mistletoe you are not just a dryad, you know this. As a hamadryad, your life is connected to the beat of my heartwood.” The woman stood before her, but in Mistletoe's mind's eye she could see her tree speaking the words.

“I am to die, then?” Mistletoe whimpered.

“It is the way of our world.” She patiently explained.

"Because I have walked among the humans for so long and have released you of your bonds to me, you will be spared. You will become as one of them. I could not bear for your bright light to be extinguished with mine. The goddess granted me a boon and allowed you to remain. You must do her work, go forth and seed the earth with your children. You are a very special spirit, indeed. I have been blessed to have known you for so long.”

Her soft hand tenderly touched her cheek, but when Mistletoe closed her eyes she saw a leafy branch come down and mimic the gesture. The image of Mother-tree as she knew her was much more comforting than the human-like hand.

“I do not understand. I will be alone. I am afraid to be alone. This is not natural. I would rather cease to exist than to be without you.” Her lips trembled and she sighed as the hand/leaves swept her hair back from her face in a loving gesture. Human arms came around her and held her close.

“I have always wanted to hug you and comfort you this way, my dear child.” The tree-woman whispered in her ear.

“My branches and leaves are hard and harsh, not the softness and warmth of this human body. Weep not, little one.” She touched the girl's heart with her hand. A glow and warmth filled Mistletoe's entire being.

“I like your leaves and branches.” She pouted. “It is all I have ever known.”

“Now you will get to know the touch of skin upon yours.” The tree woman assured her. “Nothing can quite describe that feeling. Not the wind, nor the sun, nor the stars above you. Human touch can be healing.” Mistletoe nodded, resigned.

***

“No.” William shook his head, interrupting the exchange.

“No!” He said more fervently, ripping his hand away. Mistletoe's strength surprised him. She would not be shaken. “This is my life! I have school. I have friends. I want to travel, explore the world.”

All three pairs of eyes were looking at him with different expressions: his grandfather wore sympathy, his grandmother wore compassion, and the Mistletoe wore empathy. He threw his hands up. “What about my choice?”

The hamadryad's gentle hands caressed William's cheeks.

“Shh...” Mistletoe's soft voice beside him whispered. William was so caught up in his tirade he was missing the wondrous scene unfolding before him.

His grandmother reached her hand down and helped his grandfather to his feet. She held his hand, giving it a tender squeeze as he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her in closely. They kissed passionately.

“Ready, my love?” She whispered in his ear.

“More than ever. I am ready to become part of your world at last. Thank you, my goddess borne gift.” He whispered back.

“Shall we?” She smiled at him, love shining in her eyes.

“We shall.” He nodded. The two lovers, William's grandparents, turned and spoke in unison.

“Fair well, young ones. Let Love, Light, and Earth guide you.” With a glimmer of light, William and Mistletoe were alone.

No sound but the whisper of the breeze could be heard for miles around. The sirens had ceased their screeching. The emergency was over. It was as if his grandfather had never been. That was the empty feeling in the house, then William looked down upon the seemingly sleeping visage of his grandfather's face. He looked so peaceful in death. He shuddered, struck to the core at the oddness of it all. His shoulders slumped and grief filled him. The knock on the screened door, the words of the EMT, the sheet covering his grandfather's still body, barely registered in his brain. He had to call his mother.

“Grandfather is dead.” He held his cell phone to his ear, devoid of emotion as he announced his grandfather's death to his mother. She made an odd sound.

“William. Di-did...” His mother began. His hand trembled on the phone.

Mistletoe gently took the receiver from him. He stood, unblinking and unable to speak. She guided him to sit on the living room couch and returned to the kitchen and the phone.

***

“Harmony.” Mistletoe said softly, “I am sorry for the loss of your father.”

“Who is this?” William's mother asked. “How do you know my name?” Suspicion colored her voice.

“You know me.” Mistletoe replied. “You have always known me, Harmy.” The nickname jolted Harmony into recognition. She gasped.

“You. It can't be. You can't really be...” Harmony spoke slowly, trying to absorb. “My old frie- Mistie?”

“I am. Mother-tree came for her love. It is over.” Mistletoe sent healing with her words to the woman who had once been her dearest friend.

“But you were supposed to die with my mother.” The voice accused.

“Mother-tree's love and arrangement with the goddess allowed her to remain at her human love's side. When her earthly body died, she was returned to our tree to wait out the rest of her beloved's time here. When Mother-tree returned, so did I. I am alive.” Mistletoe patiently explained.

Wait!” The woman shouted. “Wait, you- my son. What are you doing with my son? Just leave him out of this. I will come home. I'll do what needs to be done. Spare him. Please. Spare him the agony.” Her anguished voice pleaded.

***

Harmony knew there was no turning back the clock. She knew she would never sing again. She always knew her son would be the one. She had protected him for so long. When he had shown interest in the farm; when he had shown interest in the forest; in the animals, in the song, she had tried her hardest to shield him. She had woven protection and wards around him which essentially had put his Earth-given gifts to sleep.

“It cannot be. William is meant for me. You know this, as I know this. It was sketched in the heartwood in the long-ago.” Mistletoe dropped her voice.

“Don't you remember? Mother-tree is gone. I am free. William will not have to know the kind of sorrow you have known, Harmony. He will not know the grief your father and mother knew. I will outlive him. I will take his pain from him. I will replace it with hope. Let your son go.” Mistletoe's voice implored. “I promise you he will be happy.”