HeartWood

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

***

William looked up at the same time as she did and his mouth fell open. The leaves of the great Oak tree were changing colors before his very eyes. They had started off green with just a touch of brown, but now looked like they were in the middle of an autumn day, bright and colorful. He blinked his eyes, disbelieving. His nostrils flared taking in new scents, earthy and musky, the scents of a Fall Day. He looked down at the woman beneath him and let her set the pace. Her body glistened with a sheen of sweat. He watched as she gloried in her power.

Her hair wrapped around his hands as he tilted her head and kissed her again and again. The vines and twigs in her hair that he had finally learned to accept, curled up and fell to the ground. Luxurious, silky locks filled his hands, a deep golden brown. He held a lock of her hair up to his face and caressed his cheek with it.

***

Mistletoe felt bonded to Earth Mother more than ever, and yet she also felt the most grounded, as if she were still inside the safe harbor of Mother-tree. She squeezed her inner muscles on William's hardness and rose up with each thrust inside. She squeezed harder, holding him within her, rocking her body in time with his, listening and matching the rhythm to the beating of Mother-tree's heartwood. Pressure inside her built up as wetness gathered inside her thighs.

“Look, William.” She pointed upward. A cool breeze played against her skin. They both watched in wonder as the bright leaves of Mother-tree let go their branches and rode the breeze; twisting and turning playfully, floating down upon their bodies, like a cascade of rain.

At that very thought, a light drizzle began, falling softly, kissing their nakedness. She looked next to them as mist gathered along the ground, moving towards them.

Her muscles clenched, breath coming out in short pants, her stomach muscles tightening. Sliding his fingers down her stomach, he rubbed against the sensitive flesh of her clitoris. The mist clung to her body and she trembled. Her body bowed up and she screamed his name as her orgasm rocked her. She milked him with her muscles, urging him to share his own release.

***

William felt himself building up. He held himself back until she came down from the high of her first orgasm. Then he rubbed her clit faster, and sucked on her nipples, nibbling on them. He pumped harder and faster, flexing his ass muscles as his balls clenched and cock twitched. He closed his eyes, groaning and grunting, releasing himself, pouring his seed into her, screaming out words he didn't recognize.

He felt something inside of him tense and release, like a taut rubber band. He cried as the feeling shook him to his core. As he opened his eyes, he gaped at the wildflowers springing up around them. He felt his body sinking into the ground. The mist lifted and vine crept up his legs, dragging him down into the ground. He feared the vines were her doing and he gave her a horrified look. Had she betrayed him?

“No!!!” From a distance he heard Mistletoe's mournful scream and knew that she was innocent.

“Noooo. Goddess, no please, please don't.” He was confused. Why was she screaming? Her voice sounded panicky and she was crying.

Warmth enveloped his body as he felt his branches spreading out, seeking the earth, digging in, looking for sustenance and nurturance. William watched as several beautiful girls danced around him, swirling and spinning and giggling, throwing flower petals at him. He wanted to dance with them.

He felt Mistletoe pull away from him. He tried to hold her, but the vines held him fast, they were binding him to the earth.

“I beg of you, please, he is mine! Give him back to me. I gave up everything.” Mistletoe howled in anguish. She keened a banshee song.

She looked up at Mother-tree. Her branches were bare and her bark had darkened to black. Mother-tree was dying. Earth mother needed a new ambassador. They were supposed to seed the earth together. They were supposed to love forever. How had it turned so terribly wrong? Hadn't Mother-tree promised her release? Hadn't they given their blessing?

“It is not fair!!!” She wailed.

***

A shadow moved across the forest to stand in front of the weeping woman.

“I told you that you couldn't take my son from me.” The harsh female voice said. Mistletoe feared to look up. She knew who would be standing there, the golden haired beauty, the very likeness of her beloved. “Look at me, Mistie.” The woman's hand forced her gaze upward. She wore an evil smile on perfect red lips. Mistletoe looked into the brown eyes.

“Look what you have done. Did you really think that Earth Mother would grant a lowly hamadryad boon? You silly little spirit. There are those even stronger than your goddess.” The woman's sinister laughter filled the forest.

“I told you that he was mine. Now, no one will have him. This is all your fault.” She accused, bitterly.

Mistletoe clenched her chest, her heart drummed a rapid beat. She could feel Mother-tree's heartwood slowing. Mother-tree was dying. William was now a part of the earth. She watched as earth covered her beloved, as he became one with earth, as a tree trunk rose from his body. His eyes blinked. His hands reached out. There was nothing she could do. She would lose him. She lost her magic. She would forever be alone. All because of Harmony; jealous, disconnected, deceitful Harmony. Harmony would have her revenge.

“Aw, it pains me to see you grieve so. How does it feel, little dryad? How does it feel to have the love of your life torn from your arms? To have your own heartwood cut out? Now you know. Now you see. Now you will be alone as I am.”

Harmony's words pierced her heart, memories rushed into her mind.

She saw Harmony's husband, the handsome, dear man as he was cutting down one of the oldest fir trees in the forest. The fir screamed in pain. Mistletoe had left Mother-tree and pleaded and begged the man to stop. He wouldn't listen. He told her it was a gift for Harmony, a Christmas tree for his son's first birthday. She had to make him see reason.

She sent a flare of Earth magic to knock him off balance. The ax flew from his hand to land in Mother-tree's trunk. As he fell over, the tree came crashing down, crushing him to the earth. He died instantly. She did not know that Harmony and baby William were nearby, watching.

“What did you do?” The woman came at her, screaming, raging, her nails ripping into Mistletoe's flesh. She dodged the blows and dashed back to the safety of Mother-tree. She didn't do it. She only knocked him over. It wasn't her fault. That was the day Harmony denounced her magic. Mistletoe snapped back to the present.

“I did not do it. Harmy, you have to believe me. I only made him drop the ax. The tree, he had cut the tree all the way through. The wind knocked it down. I would never hurt you so. Do you not know that? I loved you and I loved your human. I would never have harmed him. How could you even think it of me? What darkness lives inside of you?” Mistletoe searched her former friend and saw a thick black sludge surrounding Harmony's heart. She moved forward. Harmony drew a symbol in the air and backed up, as Mistletoe stalked forward.

“Stay right there! One step closer and I'll destroy this entire forest. You all thought I had denounced my magic. I may have denounced Earth Mother's gifts, but in doing so, I embraced the Dark Mother's gifts. The gifts of destruction, death, release. I am stronger and more powerful than ever. I will decimate your home and this land.” She cupped her hands and Mistletoe's eyes widened in horror seeing the flames leaping between her palms.

“No.” She whispered. “No! What about William? If you call upon fire, you will kill your boy too.” She tried to make the enraged woman see reason.

“He was never mine to begin with.” The woman hissed, sneering as she threw a ball of fire into the brush. It quickly caught fire and rushed toward Mother-tree. The tree was dead already. But, Mistletoe still felt the pain of the flames licking up the trunk. Another tree alit with flame and the wildflowers caused by the love-making burnt to ash. Mistletoe didn't know what to do, didn't know how to stop her. She started singing, weaving healing into the dying earth.

***

“Mother.” A muffled voice called out. Both women of magic turned at the strangled sound.

“Mother help me.” William's face was straining out of the earth.

As he had released his seed into Mistletoe, the bonds that his mother had placed upon him had loosened. His power had begun to return to him; weak but still bright and shining. He reached deep inside himself and found his heartsong, matched it to the beating of his heartwood and sang.

Music filled the air, echoing sound against the trunks of the trees, a melancholy sound, deep and rich. He felt his heart open and the music pour from his lips. The bonds of vines released him and he stood. He sang his grief; he sang his confusion at his mother's behavior; he sang his joy at finding his love; he sang his surprise and wonder at the magic of life; he sang his soul song. His magic flowed out in ribbons of light around the forest, wrapping around each living thing, breathing life and healing back into it.

He sang and the flames receded. He sang and his mother trembled, dropping to the ground, covering her ears with her hands. He sang and Mistletoe danced into his arms. He twirled her around.

Crunching leaves announced woodland creatures and nature spirits. Rabbits, deer, newborn fawns, squirrels all gathered to watch. Flowers pushed through the earth and blossomed. The twitter of bird song filled the air. The young sapling he and his grandfather had planted, danced on the wind.

“No!” Harmony screamed. “Stop! William, stop!” Her shouts went unheard. William turned to his mother.

“You lied. You lied to me all of this time. I begged you as a boy to tell me the reason I could talk to the creatures, why the flowers responded to my touch. I remember it all. You stole it from me. My gifts were not yours to take. Mother, you are a sad, desperate woman and you have let darkness eclipse the bright light of your soul.”

William moved forward, slowly, approaching his mother. Her eyes widened and she stepped back. With each step he took forward, she took a step back, until she was up against Mother-tree's trunk. Gnarled branches came down and held her.

“I denounce you.” William glared into her eyes. “You would bring harm to all that I love. You will never spread your poison again." He looked up at the dying tree.

"Grandmother?” The sad visage of his grandmother stared down at him. She shook her head at her daughter.

“It is time to come home, Harmony.” She plucked the woman off her feet and using the last bit of strength and power inside her, she tossed her against the young sapling. Harmony's scream was silenced as the tiny sapling's branches embraced her body and drew her within. “Back where you belong.” The ancient tree sighed.

Both William and Mistletoe felt Mother-tree's heartwood stop beating. They held each other, tears streaming down their faces.

“She can never hurt anyone again.” Mistletoe whispered as he kissed away her tears. “The goddess teaches her a harsh lesson, but she will once more connect to earth mother and become life giving. Just as I am now life giving. Earth Mother grieves and celebrate this day that belongs to her.” She smiled brilliantly at him, caressing her stomach tenderly.

“I love you, Mistletoe.” William swept her into his arms.

“I love you, William.” She whispered, nuzzling into his safe embrace. He turned his back on the sapling and the dead tree and strode toward the farm. His heartwood beating in time with hers.


Epilogue:

William stood in the office of the attorney with his arms around his wife. He had learned much about himself in the last few months. He had learned the truth of his heritage, that he was part human and part Earth Magic. He had learned the true nature of his mother. He had learned that when Mistletoe had given her body, mind, and spirit to him, she had become mortal; though still with a very lengthy life. He was about to learn something else.

“Your grandfather has left his farm, his lands, and the entire forest to you, William. There is also an inheritance with your name on it. He leaves instructions for you to protect the lands and “grow where you are planted”, whatever that means.”

The attorney looked up from the 'The Last Testament and Will'. His client's grandson had his arms around the young woman, his hands resting gently on her pregnant stomach, his chin resting on her head, a silly grin on his face. The attorney smiled at the young couple. Hope had come home to Heartwood.

~~~~~

Thank you to Darkniciad for being such a wonderful sounding board to me. Your critique and suggestions were very helpful! Thank you to LadyKnight and Knightshade for the reads and support.