Heaven's Kingdom Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jax peered past her and stared at Morgana, "You have some packing to do."

"Already packed last week."

"That's me politely telling you to get out."

She scoffed, "Whatever. Don't keep me up all night with your stupid construction project."

She turned and headed back to the bridge. Jax stared at her as she and her entourage left his fortress and began to cross back to the main castle. The moment the last of her guards left, his eyes flashed as he slammed the gate shut behind them.

River elbowed him, "Stop doing that."

"What?"

"Fighting with your sister. It didn't take magic to figure out you were looking at her organs imagining gruesome ways to kill her."

"She comes up here and calls me names," he spat, "Forgive me if I decide to return her hospitality."

"She could stand to be nicer, yes, but your response to her didn't inspire confidence. Especially in her guards."

He smirked, "Yes, I found that one amusing."

"I didn't."

He turned, "Why not? What, you really think they could have killed me?"

"No and that's the scary thing. They were afraid of you, my love."

"Why? I'm wasn't going to kill her. Maybe give her kidney stones if she called me a freak one more time but-"

"Love, that's not healthy. And people shouldn't be afraid of you. I don't want people to be afraid of you."

He stared at his hands, watching as they glowed a misty blue, "Maybe they should be. Not a bad thing is it? I'm the most powerful sorcerer in the kingdom. Maybe if people feared me a bit they'd be less likely to try to kill me and I could get back to my damn life."

"My love, I don't want people to fear you. I want them to see you as I see you. I want them to see the man who inspires love and devotion in his followers, the one who has his guards head over heels for him, not the one who terrifies his sister's squad because they don't know what he might do."

"I wasn't going to do anything. It just... slipped, I guess."

"I know, my love," River said embracing him, "You're the most powerful sorcerer since your father, and, to be honest, are probably stronger than even him. I can't imagine controlling that much power is easy but you have to try. Discretion is the better part of Valor and it is better to speak softly and carry a big stick than to start wildly swinging it."

"You're telling me I have to control my big stick, are you?"

She giggled, "In a manner of speaking, yes. You've done well over the years with it and I imagine you'll get even better as time goes on. But still, sometimes you need to be reminded. It feels like only yesterday when I met that boy with the glowing blue eyes bending spoons in the throne room."

"Hey, my eyes don't perpetually glow blue anymore, at least. I can pass for a normal person now."

"I know how much effort that took and I'm proud of you for it."

"Second nature at this point. But, ah, gods she pisses me off sometimes and when she does, stuff just gets by."

"I know, she could stand to lose the attitude," she ran a hand through his hair, "But you have the magic and she doesn't. So unfortunately, the onus is on you to be the better person, lest you become a tyrant."

Jax cringed, "Magical tyrants is how the damn Long War started in the first place."

"And a magic king helped to end it. I know it's difficult but I'm still obligated to ask you to try to control it a little better."

He sighed, "For you, anything. I'm glad you're here to foster the better angels of my nature, River. I genuinely don't know what I would do without you."

"I swore an oath to protect you, my love, from all threats both external and internal. And I don't ever intend to renege on that. It's been an amazing privilege and adventure to see you become the man you are today. And I look forward to getting to know the man you'll become down the line."

Jax smiled, "You really know how to make a guy feel special."

"You are special, my love. Very special."

"Now you're just kissing ass."

She smirked and shrugged, "Well, I have to do my best to keep you, don't I? After all, you're cultivating options now."

"I seem to recall this being all your idea. I was perfectly happy having just you for the rest of my unnatural life."

"Life got in the way of that. But that doesn't mean that's a bad thing."

"Amen to that," he said, turning his attention to the chest of bracelets, "Well, why don't we each grab a few of these and go for a walk? We can meet more of your sisters and hand out the goodies. Sound fun?"

"Heavenly, my love."

***

Christ it's been a while. As I write this, it's 2 in the morning on 3/24/2021 so it's been a few months since I last updated this. I haven't forgotten about it but unfortunately, with Covid and the way the world's been, well I won't bore with the gory details but life got in the way. I'm slowly getting back on my feet but I'm sure plenty of you know how it is at the moment. To be honest, I wrote this just to get it out of my system so I could focus on my other writing projects free from the distraction that this story is. And yes, this is a distraction. A fun distraction but a distraction none the less. The next update for this will probably take a while since I plan on focusing more on my personal projects for the time being as well as the fact that I want to write something else for this site other than this next.

Plus, these types of stories, heavy on the sex and erotica, just take a lot out of me to write. And ha ha, make all the jokes you want but I don't mean it in that way. These fantasies are fun to write in the same way that people find enjoyment in running marathons. And while rewarding in they're own way, each chapter is exhausting to do and quite frankly, I need to do something else. So when this goes up in about a week, that will be it for this story for a decent while so I hope this can hold people over until I get back to it.

I do plan to finish this as I have an ending in mind already but again, time away is healthy and necessary so I don't lose my fucking mind any more than I already have.