Heirloom

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,280 Followers

"I repeat you're crazy. Sure I love Bobbie, but like a little sister or my best buddy. I've never...."

"Bullshit." There she goes interrupting me again. "I was born at night but it wasn't last night. You're in love with her and it's tearing you up inside that she and Ethan are dating." Mary Kate was glaring at me now.

"You have to tell her John." Mary Kate was serious; she called me John instead of J.T. "She cares about you too. You owe it to the both of you to tell her how you feel." She paused for a few seconds and then said, "You have to do what you think is best but you should tell her." ."

For the last two hours of the trip if I tried to continue the discussion about Bobbie, Mary Kate would shake her head and say "I've said all I'm going to" and refused to talk about it anymore. I thought and rethought and then thought some more about my plans on going to San Diego.

If I told Bobbie that I loved her there were two things that could happen. She could fall into my arms and say that she loved me too or she could say that she loved me like a brother but not in that way. Either way it would affect Ethan and could drive a wedge between us. I couldn't do it; my plans for San Diego would stand.

When we got to the ranch, Dad parked the RV and walked to the passenger's side of my truck. Mary Kate jumped out, smiled at me, and Dad climbed into the cab.

"Take me down to the office, will you? I've got something to do and I could use the company," Dad requested.

I nodded and pulled out of the driveway headed for the supply yard. It was a very quiet 30 minute drive, Dad would smile, reach over and sort of pat me on the shoulder two or three times and that was the extent of the communication. He pointed to the warehouse when we pulled into the loading yard and I drove up to the large sliding door in front. Dad got out and motioned for me to follow him.

Before we slid open the door Dad spoke for the first time since we left the house. "I know why you're going to San Diego and I understand. I won't try to change your mind but I want you to know that I'll back you if you decide to stay. I won't try to change your mind but I wanted you to know how proud I am of you."

I started to say something but he held up his hand to stop me. "Your choice, your decision. You don't have to justify your actions to anyone John." There's that John instead of J.T. again. Dad slid the door open and pointed into the warehouse. "That's your graduation present from Mary Kate, Ethan, and me," he said as he pointed.

A Ford 250 King Cab, ivory colored with red pin stripes stared back at me. As I walked around it I saw J.T. Chance 26 Bar Ranch in small script just below the driver's window. It was the best looking pickup I'd ever seen. I was stunned, couldn't talk, and could feel tears welling up in my eyes. I couldn't even say thank you, I just grabbed Dad in a bear hug.

"We didn't know about San Diego when we bought it, we just thought it was time to put your old truck out to pasture," he said. "The keys are in it, the title is at home, and it already has license plates on it; it's good to go J.T." We pulled my old truck to the back of the yard and drove back to the ranch in my brand new ride.

I spent ten days at home before I left on my journey. They were bitter sweet; I rode around the property like I used to do when I was a kid not knowing when I would see the place again. Every one of those ten days Mary Kate would say "tell her" at least once. Each time I would just shake my head no.

The morning that I left everybody was there to say good bye; Dad, Ethan, Mary Kate and even Bobbie were all there in spite of it being 6:30 AM. I hugged Dad and Ethan and kissed Mary Kate. Bobbie presented herself for a hug and I must have put a little extra in the hug because she leaned back and looked into my eyes. I smiled sadly, gave her a kiss on the cheek, and jumped into my new ride. As I pulled out of the drive way in the rear view mirror I could see Bobbie standing there with both hands up to her face looking very upset.

******************

It's a little over 1800 miles from our ranch to San Diego and could be driven in about 29 hours if you drove straight through. I wasn't in any hurry so it took me about ten days to finally reach Mission Bay in San Diego. I took I-70 west and along the way I stopped if there was something I wanted to see or experience. I played in the snow in Loveland Pass Colorado, spent a night in Las Vegas, and backtracked to see and be awestruck by the Grand Canyon. From there I went on to San Diego.

I walked onto the sand of Mission Bay beach, took off my boots, and waded into the ocean. "California I'm here," I proclaimed.

If you've never seen the ocean I suggest you go. Standing on the beach looking out across that huge expanse of water sort of puts everything into perspective. I know it sounds all very philosophical but it's true anyway.

About ten days after getting to San Diego, I called Mary Kate and Dad to let them know I was okay and that I had a job. Mary Kate climbed on me a little for not calling sooner but was happy to hear that I wasn't sulking around. I talked to Dad for about 30 minutes telling him about San Diego, the construction scene, and the beautiful weather.

If you want to work construction, San Diego is the place to be; especially housing construction. The weather enables you to work year round and someone is always building something. I've never seen a place that has continuous construction like San Diego. My friend Rick got me a job framing houses my second day in the city.

The work ethic taught to me by my father and reinforced by Ethan came in handy. My foreman saw how hard I worked and coupled with never missing any days because of a hangover or women troubles he began to give me more responsibilities, along with more money. I was squatting in tall cotton.

I called home every ten days or so to let my family know I was okay and thinking of them. The days were busy; I was working six days a week sometimes seven. It was the nights that gave me problems; I would think about Bobbie. The guys at work would ask me to go out with them at night but I didn't have any interest in picking up some overnight honey. I wasn't pouting; I just didn't want to go out.

My foreman, Sam, insisted that I come out with the group one Friday evening to say good bye to one of our crew. Bill had joined the National Guard a couple of years ago and his unit was being called up and deployed to Afghanistan. "As much as he helped you when you first got here the least you can do is attend his going away party and have a beer or two," Sam told me.

I was sorry to see Bill leave; he was a hard worker and a good guy. The party showed me that I was the only one being hurt by depriving myself of the wonders that San Diego had to offer. Read pretty girls for that last part about the wonders of San Diego. As good as the young ladies looked on the beach they looked even better that night in the club. It was an interesting scouting trip of a target rich environment.

After that evening, I came back to the world so to speak. I didn't go out every night with the guys but every ten days to two weeks the group would invade one club or another. There was a cornucopia of young lovelies to watch, meet, dance with and sometimes more. I didn't have one special lady but keep my options open.

My battles in college with Mr. Jack Daniels and Senor Jose Cuervo taught me that I couldn't beat those gentlemen so I didn't try. I would have one or two beers during our invasions and switch to club soda or tea or some other non-alcoholic drink for the rest of the evening. I think being sober actually helped my success rate with the girls I met.

While the ladies and my crew would get wild and crazy and out of control, I would be wild and crazy with them but I was sober and in complete control. That self control helped in my interactions with women; the only nights that I went home alone were the ones that I wanted to.

I hadn't forgotten about Bobbie but I had pushed her into the back of my mind; I still loved her but I could live with the fact that I couldn't have her and moved on with my life. I owed Sam for the push he gave me, or as he called it "a swift kick in the ass", whatever it was it showed me that there was still a lot of enjoyment to be had. Thanks Sam.

****************

I had been in San Diego for about three months when Mary Kate asked, "When are you going to stop pouting like someone stole your bicycle and come home?" She was getting upset at me for staying away.

"I like it out here, the weather is nice and the beaches are great. Lots of pretty girls in bikinis playing in the ocean, don't you know. It's a floor show every time you go." I did like my life now but in my heart I would have rather been back in Missouri.

"Well I think you should come home. I was telling Bobbie just yesterday that......"

"How's the ranch doing? I interrupted her; I didn't want to talk about Bobbie. "Did Dad buy that breeding bull he was looking at?"

In spite of me changing the subject every time Mary Kate brought up Bobbie, she slipped little tidbits about her into our conversations. When she said something about Bobbie asking for my phone number, I made Mary Kate promise not to give it to her. "Tell her I live in a construction trailer or whatever but don't give her my number." She would pass messages from Bobbie to me, but I didn't or couldn't talk to Bobbie; not yet anyway.

Then Mary Kate got sneaky and used technology to get around me not wanting to talk to Bobbie. When I got home after work there was a notice that Federal Express had left a package for me with the manager of the apartment building. Who would send me something, I hadn't ordered anything? It was a large package and contained a new Dell laptop and a note that read.

Hey J.T.,

Dad thought that using email would be an easier way to keep in contact than calling. We can email each other and not worry about time differences or interrupting our schedules. The laptop has an air card and the service has been paid for a year so you can use it anywhere you can get cell phone coverage. Pretty neat huh?

All you have to do is plug in the charger so your battery doesn't run out and power it up.

The laptop also has a webcam feature so we can see each other as we talk, how cool is that? I will contact you Sunday morning around ten your time for our first web chat. If that's not a good time email me for the best time to get together.

I'm looking forward to getting to see my little brother after all these months. Talk to you on Sunday.

Love,

Mary Kate.

On Sunday morning I saw my sister for the first time in months. We had a nice talk and Dad even stuck his head into the picture and talked for a few minutes. The web chat helped me feel close to the people I loved the most. It wasn't until the next chat that I realized that my dad had nothing to do with the laptop or the web chats. It was all Mary Kate being devious.

I was actually waiting the next Sunday morning and when my screen notified me that I had a web cam call I jumped to answer it. Mary Kate and I talked for a few minutes and then Dad took his turn. His questions and talk was what you would expect from your father; how was I doing, did I enjoy my work, did I need any money, and when did I think I could get home for a visit, typical parent stuff. It was nice to actually see my family members while I was talking to them.

When he finished, Mary Kate got back into the picture and after a few minutes she said, "There's someone here that would like to talk to you."

She got up and Ethan sat down; we talked for about ten minutes; his parting words were "You should come home J.T."

Mary Kate came back and said, "One more person that wants to say hello," she said. When she got up, Bobbie took her place.

Oh shit, I thought. The one person I didn't want to see or talk to right now; I had pushed the sense of loss and the hurt into the back of my mind but it was still too fresh to deal with. My first thought was to disconnect and later blame it on a malfunction but I waited too long.

"Hello John, it's good to see you. How have you been?" Bobbie looked into the web cam with her big blue eyes. Instead of a pony tail her hair was all styled and curling around that pretty face. Oh shit, I thought again.

"Hey Bobbie," I responded. "I'm good." The rest of the conversation was a little awkward but I was able to talk without embarrassing myself; I think. We signed off shortly afterwards.

As soon as we signed off I sent a very heated email to Mary Kate. I ripped her a new one for ambushing me like that and told her that if she wanted to keep up the web chats she had better not do it again. I don't know if a paper letter could have taken the heat of that message, it might have burst into flame.

The next day I got an answering email that put me in my place. Mary Kate explained that Bobbie was there to go shopping with her and that Bobbie had to be shanghaied into talking to me. She also told me that my dad planned his whole weekend around those web chats just so he could talk to me. "Get your head out and think of someone besides yourself," was her closing line.

Nothing more was said and the web chats continued. Sometimes Bobbie was there but most times she wasn't. I hated to admit it but I enjoyed the times that she was more than the other times. I guess I hadn't pushed her as far back into my mind as I thought.

I did learn from Mary Kate that the week after I left, Bobbie and Ethan quit dating. Mary Kate told me she thought that Bobbie guessed or knew how I felt about her.

"You should come home John," Mary Kate told me. "I think you're missing out on something good here."

"I can't right now, maybe in a year," I replied.

"You're a dumb ass J.T.," she said and hung up.

*******************

It was about three months later that Mary Kate called and ordered me to come home. "Get your ass back here right now," was what she actually said. She explained that Dad and Ethan had been unloading some roofing supplies and one of the tie downs broke. The load tumbled off the truck and both of them were seriously injured and were in the hospital; Dad had stabilized, but Ethan was in critical condition.

I loaded my gear in my new truck and headed east; this trip would take a lot less time than the one I made headed west. I planned to drive nonstop, only taking breaks for gas and the bathroom. As I drove, almost on auto pilot, my mind thought back over the past few months.

The trip west in my new truck took ten days; the trip back home took a little over 22 hours. I had to slow down going through the cities but on the open road I picked up speed and the truck only touched the high spots in the road. (For those of you that don't understand country sayings, that means I was driving flat out fast.)

I had called Mary Kate and told her what time I expected to get in and that I was going directly to the hospital to check on Dad, and Ethan. She told me that Dad was doing much better; he was conscious and aware of what happened. The news wasn't as promising about Ethan; he was still in critical condition and in the ICU.

When I walked into Dad's room he was awake and talking to Mary Kate. Dad saw me first and said, "Bout time you came home."

Mary Kate turned, saw me, and ran into my arms. She was crying just like you would expect a woman to. There must be something in that hospital room that irritated my eyes because they were watering too. Dad tried to sit up straighter in bed and motioned me over to him. I shook his hand with both of mine and just stood there holding on to him for a couple of minutes.

Dad had a bandage on the right side of his face, his right leg was in a cast, and he had an IV going into his left arm. His face was a study in bruises and discoloration; the right eye was still almost swollen shut. He was going to have a hell of a shiner. Talking to his doctor later I learned that Dad's leg should heal fine and he had a cut on the side of his face that required 22 stitches. It was going to leave a scar but other than that he would be fine.

"Glad you're here son. You look like hell but I'm glad you're here," he said

"I look like hell? I'm not the one with the rainbow of blues and yellows running across my face," I teased back at him. My dad and I always managed to embarrass each other with our feelings.

"Twenty-two hours non-stop tends to make you look like a zombie you know?" I explained the reason for looking like a dead man walking.

"You didn't have to half kill yourself to get here, we're okay."

I looked at Mary Kate and quoted "get your ass back here right now". "That's what I was ordered to do and that's what I did," I explained to him. He looked over at my sister, smiled and shook his head.

"She always did have a tendency to overreact, don't you know?" Dad said as he smiled at his daughter.

"Somebody's got to take care of you three; neither of you is smart enough to come in out of the rain," she said.

"How's Ethan and where is he?"

Mary Kate looked at my dad and when he nodded she said, "He's in ICU in critical condition. Most of the load fell on him when he pushed Dad out of the way. He had some broken bones including his arm and a punctured lung but the doctors say he has a good chance to fully recover.

"Ethan's a fighter; if anyone can pull through this he can," I said with conviction. I don't know if I was trying to comfort Dad and Mary Kate or myself. I sat in thought for a couple of minutes with my head down and when I looked up Mary Kate seemed to be waiting for me to say something. I looked at her as if to ask what.

"Are you going to tell her now?" Mary Kate poked at me.

"Tell who what?" Dad asked. "Oh, now I know, never mind," Dad realized what we were talking about.

"Nothing Dad, it's personal and damn it Mary Kate this isn't the time," I scolded her. "I'm going to check on Ethan, see you later."

Going to ICU one of the nurses led me to Ethan's room. She told me that he was heavily sedated to keep him quiet and help him recover from the operation to close the puncture in his lung and to set his broken leg. He also had bruises that were sickly blue and yellow. There was an IV in his arm and a large cast on his leg. But he was breathing normally and didn't seem to be in pain. I walked over, touched his shoulder and leaned down and told him I was here. Ethan smiled a little in his sleep so maybe he heard me.

I went back and said good night to Dad and Mary Kate and left for the ranch. The trip had been tiring and I needed to wind down. The next morning Mary Kate and I returned to the hospital just in time to hear Dad telling the male nurse that he wanted some real coffee. Dad told the nurse that his crutches could be used as weapons if he didn't get some real food and real coffee.

"Take it easy on the guy Pop; he's just doing his job. I'll get you some real food and coffee in a few minutes, okay?" Mary Kate shook her finger at Dad and told him to calm down.

"I know, sorry kid," he said to the nurse. "It's just that I'm pissed off and you're the only one around to take it out on." Dad said and apologized again to the nurse. The guy just smiled, shook his head, finished his chores, and left.

My dad looked at me for a few seconds and said, "I've got to ask you for help here J.T.. I can't work for awhile and neither can Ethan; I need you to take over running the business. Mary Kate will help but you're going to be the "boss" until I can get back. Will you help?"

"You know I will."

"There's one thing you need to know before you start."

"What now? Don't tell me I have to wear a tie," I laughed.

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,280 Followers