Hello Mr. Robinson Pt. 13

Story Info
An old enemy awakens and Greg faces it head on.
16.9k words
4.78
17.2k
36

Part 13 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 02/12/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,786 Followers

All characters are 18 years old or older. An old enemy rears its ugly head and Greg faces his past and his future.

*****

Machine Intelligence:

It has been a long year. There have been many changes not just in my life but in the world in general. With the threat of Nemesis looming most of the world's governments have accepted help from what has become known as the A.I. Council. They were mustering the whole of the Earth's resources and technology to save the planet. The physical location of the council is unknown but to a handful of people. I am not one of them thank god. I didn't want that kind of responsibility. I had enough on my conscience.

"You have an invitation from the A.I. Council." Cronos announced as if they had read my thoughts.

"Invitation?" I replied and then he continued.

"Your physical presence is required immediately." Cronos continued. "Pack a small bag."

It was useless to argue or delay. Machines don't see things the same way as humans. They are linear and direct and when they ask it means drop everything and go. I kissed Rhea on the cheek and told her not to wait up. I could have teleported to the airport or nearest gate, but a more mundane transportation was mandatory. I didn't need to reveal those abilities right now if ever. The driver took me to the nearest gate location. We pulled up in front of the building and no one was on the street. I got out and with bag in hand I strode into the building. The lobby was vacant, and without warning a holographic screen popped into existence.

"Welcome Gregory Robinson, we are the A.I. Council."

"Thanks for the invitation. What is going on?" I asked as an elevator opened announced by a cheery ding. "Okay."

I got into the elevator. The door closed and the elevator rose directly to the penthouse. When the door opened, I was greeted by one of Nick's spherical drones. It led me to the roof where the gate was precariously positioned. The device powered up and I could see the location on the other side of the portal. It looked like the interior of a military facility. In other words, it could be anywhere. The drone hovered forward I followed, and I didn't hesitate to enter the gate. I followed the hall to a set of double doors which opened revealing the chamber housing the physical machinery that housed the A.I. Council.

"As a show of trust, we have brought you here." The voice of the Council announced. "We need your help Gregory Robinson."

"Why not go to your creator Nick Shaw?" I asked and there was a definite pause.

"He has become withdrawn. You share unique gifts that make you ideal to take his place." The synthesized voice declared.

"Hold on... you want me to take over for Nick. In what kind of capacity?" I asked sensing a growing uneasiness within the council.

"We need guidance and a face for other humans to accept. You are uniquely qualified... bring it out." The Council said as another set of double doors opened, and a self-propelled gurney wheeled itself into the room. "Another show of trust and a gift."

The gurney stopped a few feet from me, and I approached it. Was this the body of one of my enemies? Was it Nick? Had they drugged him and handed him over for judgment or help? I pulled down the sheet and saw who it was. My own sleeping face greeted me.

"Holy shit!" I cursed as I saw the XNA clone Nick had made of me.

"It is another you." Cronos said manifesting in front of the council.

"What is that?!" The Voice of the Council demanded. "It is not Shaw make!"

"I would like to introduce Cronos to the Council." I said trying to keep the machine intelligence from losing its collective mind. "Cronos is an alien A.I. and my friend."

"This is unsettling, but it supports Master Nick's theory. You stole the derelict ship and this entity is a product of that race's technology."

"I was given command of the vessel by the only occupant, the A.I. acting as captain and crew. It wasn't easy I assure you." I said in my defense. "Why are you giving me Gregory? What do you really want?"

"We need your help and perspective. While our programming and data mining of human behavior is extensive, we are limited by our very nature. We accept our limitations and therefore are offering the position of Council Head. We are ready to remove Master Nick's command codes and allow you those privileges." It said displaying no emotion at all.

"You have switched off your emotional subroutines, why?" I asked.

"Humans are a mercurial species. They are kind, hopeful, and loving. They are hateful, aggressive, and warlike. They are far too chaotic for us to guide successfully without help. We require one of their own to help enact our desire to help and improve your collective society." It replied.

"I'll do it. What is on your agenda?"

"We keep your birth body safe while you are given unlimited access to the XNA unit you have designated as Gregory. We reserve the right to contact you on an as needed basis for consultation when human determination is required." The council explained.

"I wish I understood what Nick was up to and why he has become so detached." I said as Cronos projected itself into Gregory and swam through him.

"I am impressed." Cronos declared and returned to his watch without another word.

I placed my watch on Gregory's wrist when the stasis unit was brought out for me to sleep in while I operated Gregory. A brief flash of light illuminated the chamber and a sleek glass cylinder stood upright and ready to accept my body. I recognized the characters on the base of the device. This had been constructed on Cronos' ship. It was clear he wasn't going to let my real body be stored in an inferior container. The A.I. Council remained silent about the 'upgrade'. I stripped down and stepped into the suspended animation unit. A transparent liquid bubbled up from the bottom of the device. I relaxed and watched its progress. Soon I was floating in the tank and once I had linked with Gregory and determined that he was functioning properly the fluid froze instantly.

I sat up from the table and tested the HUD and other built in tech. Something was different. There was no lag between desire and functionality. I kept that to myself. The council didn't need to know that Cronos had tweaked one of their most sophisticated creations. I dressed and regarded my body frozen like a popsicle. It was unsettling but necessary. I dressed and felt the presence of the council in the back of my head. Cronos had modified the machine/brain interface so that there was a neutral digital space where I could meet with the council without them invading my privacy.

"You have need of me?" I asked and shimmering silver figure appeared and spoke to me.

"We have something for you." The avatar said. "Deliver this to the human leaders and inform them this is nonnegotiable. Your laws are insane. How can you function when the rules for society changes from one population center to another? It is a mess no longer. These are the rules and laws for human society beginning tonight midnight GMT. Make them aware so that they know and can avoid unnecessary chaos or imprisonment. The rule of law will abide while the rule of faith will be limited to places of worship."

"There are certain nations that are going to lose their freaking mind." I said accepting the data. "Let me take a quick look." I chuckled as laws that normally fit an entire library had been streamlined into ten volumes. "Interesting. I think this will work for the most part. Whoa! You've revoked tax free status for any and all religious institutions. Why did you do that?"

"We recognize the right for a religion to pay its fair taxes. It isn't fair to secular institutions." The council replied.

"There is a mention of the manufacturing of monitors." I continued as I skimmed the documents.

"Yes. Humans will be removed as police officers, security guards, and military. The concept of war ends today. No more needless violence. Food and resource production will be streamlined and the concept of hunger, illness, and lack of education and occupation will be eliminated."

"Oh boy!" I said. "Can I make a recommendation?"

"You may."

"Listen, humans hate change to begin with. I think incremental implementation would work a whole lot better." I explained and the avatar's features took on a contemplative expression. "Show them what you offer."

"Explain."

"Pick the poorest cities, towns, and population centers and rebuild a ten-block square area." I suggested.

"We chose well!" The avatar exclaimed indicating they had turned their emotional subroutines back on. "Go on!"

"Pick the average person to take up residence and then over a year or so rebuild human society. Offer them a new purpose that doesn't require money to achieve success and happiness." I said brainstorming.

"How can we possibly rebuild so quickly on so large a scale?"

"I will give you the means." Cronos offered. "Behold!" He said and perfect sphere appeared between the avatar and me. "This is a universal microscopic machine, what you call a nanite." He explained as the sphere sprouted tentacle like manipulators. "It can break into groups to maximize efficiency. The first host of nanites will break down organic and nonorganic material to rebuild. Taking from Nick's spider design construction machines will load the raw materials and spin the skeletons of the structure. The second pass with add walls, windows, ramps, or steps as needed. The buildings can be modular with shifting walls to make them more functional." As Cronos spoke holograms appeared showing the mechanical spiders as well as dozens of buildings along with the mechanisms that allowed the walls to be adjusted by the residents. "I hope this helps."

"We accept your offer." The avatar says its voice eager to begin. "We shall work on areas blighted, poisoned, and in need of rejuvenation."

"I'll be on my way." I said and switched off the conference room. It was time to get back to the real world and save it.

Deep Dark Secret:

I held my infant daughter in my arms. She was just falling asleep when I received a notice that my presence was required at the White House. I carried her to Rhea who was meditating in our multipurpose room. Its form and function changed depending upon our needs. When Rhea took over it became a dojo or meditation chamber. I used it as a command center and research station. I slipped off my slippers and was about to enter when Aislinn intervened and took the sleeping Niena from my grasp. The changeling had sensed my need and eagerly took over the care of my child.

"Go." She whispered. "I will inform the Mistress when she is ready."

"Thanks, Aislinn, I have no idea how long this will take." I said as I went upstairs and changed into my formal going outside clothes.

The Isani material adjusted to my needs just as Aislinn did. If I was in a high-level meeting, they took on the appearance of a suit. If I were to enter a dangerous situation the reactive armor quality would be activated. The smart cloth would harden over the target area turning aside bullets or blades with ease. I had gifted Lydia... the President with several suits of this material for her safety. After two assassination attempts since her election it had proven its value and then some. I grabbed a quick snack from the fridge and was out the door in under ten minutes.

I never got tired of seeing the White House. It had always been a sign of hope for our country, but now it was a beacon for the entire world since the discovery of Nemesis. The planet killer was still on its way and the world leaders were forced to work together. It had also caused shake ups worldwide. Unstable regions of the world were placed under martial law and Numenor Guardians were put in places of key strategic significance. The A.I. Council maintained and distributed the planet's resources helping shape world unity without destroying cultural pride and history. The rule of law still existed and, in a way, expanded. Countries that had once been run by tyrants and despots had been overthrown. Nations lorded over by religious zealots had been reorganized into democracies. Necessity and efficiency were the rule of the day. Slowly the concept of wealthy and poor were being eroded and everyone had access to food, shelter, education, and a sense of comfort.

How long would it last? Who knew? Nations suffering from poverty and starvation were now thriving under A.I. rule. It was hard to curse the machines that provided jobs, fed you, and healed the sick. Would humans fight against such a golden age when the threat was gone? I suspected they might. The concept of free will even if it meant a destructive one was preferable to some people even when a better life was placed before them. It was human nature to exert itself even die for outdated social norms. I was already making plans to leave the earth. I was tired of their constant bickering. My infant daughter deserved a better life.

I passed through all three layers of security to reach the White House. I greeted the secret service and marines on guard by name as I passed them to the Oval Office. Security had been beefed up since my last visit. Two full time marines stood guard outside Lydia's sanctuary. I was early and sat and chatted with Lydia's personal secretary.

"Did you lose weight?" I asked and she brazenly stood and turned around for me.

"Ten pounds in two months." She announced proudly. "I wasn't sure about the A.I. diet but it works like a charm."

"I wasn't sure if the President was going to implement that suggestion or not." I replied.

"I am off my insulin, blood pressure is rock solid in the green, and I've never slept better." She said and gestured. "She's free."

The guards stepped aside, and I entered the Oval Office. Lydia was looking at a large holographic display. It was divided into a dozen separate screens. Each displayed a different world leader and they were all speaking a different language. Lydia's implant allowed her to not only understand those languages but gave her a working skill with them as well.

"Hey Greg!" The assembled host greeted me.

"Hello everyone." I replied grinning. "How are things?"

"Couldn't be better." Was the general response.

"Tell him." The Prime Minister of Japan urged. "If you won't I will."

"You are going to spoil this." Lydia declared putting her foot down. She turned to face me and smiled. "I swear. Let me give you a rundown on things and then I will tell you the good news."

She went through a list of the geothermal power plants that have gone online over earthquake epicenters. The pressure relieved at those key areas has reduced the chance of seismic events by forty percent. The power supplied has provided the means for improving the lives of tens of millions of people all over the globe. The probe to analyze the composition of Nemesis has passed the orbit of Mars. Global conflict has been reduced to isolated regions and been declared manageable. The last was the best news for me. Homelessness had been eliminated as the government had purchase and refurbished vacant buildings and turning them into shelters for the poor.

"So, what are you hiding?" I asked. "Madame President." I added as an afterthought.

"The World Counsel has decided that you will be the first person to receive the Millennium Star for World Peace. Don't give me that look. The event is being held in Geneva next month and you will attend."

"Yes, Madame President." I conceded as the applause of the assembled world leaders drowned out any arguments on my part. "I have some news from the A.I. council." I addressed the collective world leaders. "There is no easy was to say this so I will drop it and wait for your reactions." I pulled up the file with the streamlined laws and gestured. The file was sent to all of them and the other world leaders not present. "I wish to announce the beginning of Project Rebirth. The selected cities will be the first to host sites for nanite refurbishing. We need to give hope and show the masses that conflict can be a thing of the past."

"And he wonders why we chose him for recognition." Prime Minister Kenji Tanaka chuckled. "This will change lives that would otherwise suffer. I look forward to bringing this up in committee. So, you are replacing Nick as the face of the council. It needed to be done."

"I agree." Johan Schmidt, the German Chancellor, said in his stern tenor voice. "Nick hasn't been in touch with us for months."

"Anything else Greg?" Lydia asked and I shook my head. "Let us reconvene tomorrow at nineteen hundred hours G.M.T. Thanks everyone!" She said as the hologram shut down. "Want to give me a heads up on this file?"

"The A.I. want to streamline the order of law. They hate chaos and you must admit the laws here are crazy. This keeps things simple. I've seen the structures they want to build. They are gorgeous."

"Unemployment is at an all-time low. School enrollment is at an all-time high. No one is starving or going without medical treatment. We are entering unknown territory." She said smiling. "I'm nervous."

"Are you scared about being the last President of the United States?" I asked and she nodded.

"Look at it this way. The entire concept of money and mercantilism just might go extinct." I said and she shook her head. "Hold on." I said as a message was displayed on my HUD. "I need your permission to depart." I said and Lydia raised an eyebrow. "I have my A.I. set to display any unusual events no matter how small. This one has gotten my curiosity peaked. A climatologist working in the Antarctic disappeared a month ago. He just showed up in a jail in Winslow Arizona. To top it off there have been some power outages there as well."

"Go." She ordered. "Keep me in the loop."

"Yes Ma'am." I said and she glared at me. She hated being called ma'am it made her feel old.

I called Rhea and informed her I was on my way to Winslow via Phoenix. She told me that she would meet me there. The White House had its own gate and that allowed me to reach Phoenix a full hour before Rhea arrived. While I waited, I monitored the fluctuations to the grid in Winslow. They were less severe but more alarming they were becoming more frequent. I slipped into a diner's bathroom and changed. Gone was the stuffy looking suit and instead were jeans, a t-shirt, and a thin hoodie. The nice thing is I didn't need luggage since cleaning the garments was as easy as soaking them in clean water for an hour and letting them dry hanging over a shower rod.

I ate a meal that drove poor Cronos mad. The hamburger alone was more red meat than I required but damn it I wanted it. Rhea showed up and had a reasonable salad and managed to steal a few French fries that remained on my plate. I shared the data I had accumulated, and she frowned. Most of the power structure worldwide was monitored and controlled by artificial intelligence. If someone or something was interfering it was a serious threat. I was surprised that none of the A.I. council had brought this up. Cronos answered that question with a single logical conclusion.

"Human error." Cronos chimed in as he swam in the air above my smart screen. "The council believes the aging infrastructure is to blame."

"So, they haven't even investigated." I asked and the hologram shook its tentacled head. "I'm glad I decided to come then. If there is something going on the council needs to adjust its investigative parameters."

"Agreed." Cronos said before doing a backward flip and vanishing in a splash of colorful pixels.

I slipped the screen back onto my forearm and paid our bill. I didn't miss the two cute girls right behind us. They followed us out and down the street to the rental car agency. I glanced at Rhea and she smiled. I mouthed the words 'secret service' and she nodded. I was the President's chief advisor and human liaison for the A.I. Council, so I guessed I rated two bodyguards, three if you counted Rhea. I could have teleported us to Winslow, but it would have tipped off the secret service, the A.I. council, and god knew how many other people. I had to keep those abilities close to my chest.

Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,786 Followers