Helper

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He laughed. "Terry, I hope you connected a lot more than dots."

"Me, too, my friend. Me, too."

***

Terry spoke with Carl two more times and got two reports of good dates with Beth before the message popped up on his phone the next weekend.

Hi, Terry,

Sorry I've been so busy and haven't had time to respond. Word is that Beth and your friend have hit it off really well. I suspect she's already forgotten her old boyfriend. Are you sure you aren't in the liaison business? You could make a great Cupid's helper!

I really appreciate what you've done for her.

Love,

Gwen

Terry sat looking at the message, practically gritting his teeth as he contemplated his reply but he'd only typed two words when another message from Gwen popped in.

P.S. Forgot to mention that I'll be home on Thursday. I know what I said earlier—and I stand by that—but I'd enjoy seeing you again if you're up for it. Nothing romantic, just two friends, say, having dinner? Let me know if you might be interested.

Terry's reply took seconds.

Might be? I'm definitely interested. How about dinner, my place, Friday night. Say 8 PM?

Her response was even faster than his had been. Looking forward to it. See you then.

***

Late Friday night, a pair of candles burned low, flickering to illuminate the fine dinnerware and a half-empty bottle of Greek honey-wine that still sat on the table. The chairs were pushed away at odd angles, as if hastily abandoned. A white, strappy high heel lay on the floor at the base of the stairs; its mate was on the floor a few feet from the door to Terry's bedroom.

Gwen's long-sleeve white dress, a lacy white thong, and Terry's shoes and clothes were on the floor around the bed, tossed as quickly and unceremoniously as the two could shed them. They were in the bed, their clothes long forgotten, clutching each other with Gwen's legs wrapped around him as he drove, slowly and sensuously, into her. As her pleasure increased, Gwen breathed, ever-so-softly, in time with each of his thrusts, her hands roaming across his back and buttocks, pulling him into her as tightly as her breasts pressed against his chest. At times as she got ever closer to her hoped-for release, she let slip a soft moan in place of her usual breath.

Terry kissed her cheek, her neck, and her ear lobe as he continued pushing in and sliding out of her, reveling as much in the quiet sounds of her pleasure as the feel of her breath against his cheek and his ear and her arms around him. Still, none of that compared to the heaven below. On discovering earlier in the evening that they'd both been tested recently (and found to be clean) and with Terry having had a vasectomy years earlier, there was nothing separating them, allowing Gwen to whisper, "Don't stop, Terry. Keep going. Come inside me."

Their lips met and tongues fenced briefly as he drew close, his speed picking up with each thrust, his force increasing. Gwen's quiet moans became louder, more frequent, and more urgent as she too approached her climax, finally bucking her pelvis to match his movements, to increase their force. She cried out, "Oh, Terry," as she came, and he felt himself spasming within her just moments later.

They lay there in bed afterward, holding each other, a thin sheen of sweat covering them both, as they waited for their breathing to return to normal. When it did, Terry shifted to lay next to her, his hand gently caressing her upper arm. He smiled as it lightly brushed the side of her breast, leading her to smile, too.

"Dinner was good, Terry, but this was far, far better."

"Gwen, I cook, fairly well, but mostly for myself these days. It's a treat to be able to share a good meal, but this...this was all for you."

She smiled. "I know and I appreciate it. It was...ennnn....wonderful." She relaxed against him as they continued to hold each other. The room was silent for a while before they looked at each other, acknowledging the need to clean up.

Back in bed, they lay together for a long while, luxuriating in their entwined embrace. Terry believed he even dozed off for a bit only to open his eyes to see Gwen, with her face against his chest, looking at him.

"What a way to wake up," he said, smiling.

Smiling back at him, she kissed his chest and continued to look at him for several seconds before hesitating, biting her lip. "Terry, thank you for tonight. I...I appreciate what you did for Beth, too. She was hurting so much that she failed to see what her ex was really doing to her, but...but you saw it and steered her toward the right path, and your friend seems to have opened her eyes even further. I know...it's still early for them, but I see real potential if they don't rush it."

"Don't worry, Carl has a long and fairly steady history, going all the way back to our college days, at least, of rushing things and screwing them up pretty royally." He chuckled before adding, "He's a great guy with good intentions at heart, though, and hopefully, if they work at it, they can overcome his usual tendencies, if they really want to, I mean. After all, he was married for twenty years, and, to the best of my knowledge, was always faithful. If it's right for them, I hope it will work out for my friend and for yours."

She gave an understanding look and a little nod. "I think we could say the screwing-things-up part is true for most of us, at least a good part of the time. Still, there's always a chance...."

Terry hesitated for a few moments before asking the question bearing on his mind. "Gwen, could that be true for us, too? That there might be a chance for—"

She put a finger to his lips, quieting him. "We've got tonight, Terry. Let's enjoy that while we have it. At least for tonight, let's not worry about the future, okay?"

He looked at her, a bit of melancholy tinging his expression before he gave the slightest of nods. "Okay. For now. Let's not break into a Bob Seger song, though; I don't think I could take it."

Gwen grinned. "We don't have to; I'm already staying."

***

Chapter 8

And stay she did, getting up after 9 on Sunday morning after a long night of repeated togetherness. She had to head to the airport for a trip to Phoenix, San Diego, and L.A.

She looked sad when he walked her to her SUV and opened the door for her. Turning toward him and moving close, she whispered. "Terry, that really was a wonderful evening, which makes it even harder to say this—"

"Gwen, don't say it, please?"

"I have to, Terry. I don't know how long I'll be gone on this trip, or the one after that, or any of the ones to follow." She put a finger to his lips. "I know...I like you a lot, too, but please don't wait for me."

"Gwen, I hear what you're saying, but I really don't think you mean it. I'll be thinking of you every day and can't wait for you to get home."

She had tears in her eyes as she shook her head. She gave him a light kiss on the lips followed by a brief hug before she got in her Mercedes and drove away.

***

That became the pattern for the next few weeks, with Gwen reluctantly asking for Terry's help, Terry even more reluctantly meeting with one of her friends with a problem, and then Terry and Gwen getting together when she returned to the city.

After getting to know the women, he introduced two to friends and another received friendly advice that seemed to leave her in a better place than where she'd been before. Mrs. Carmichael, Terry's former marriage counselor received a call from another.

Two of the women wanted to take him home with them, but each time, he explained that he was involved and in an exclusive relationship, which got him off the hook.

Each time he went to meet one of Gwen's friends, it became harder, and Gwen's business trips became longer, her visits back to the city less frequent. Knowing that she wasn't interested in a long term relationship, he began to become more and more discouraged with the situation.

***

After meeting with Gwen's friend, Stephanie, he realized that it wasn't working. It was too hard, trading what was practically a date with one of her friends to even have a chance to see Gwen again. He sent a message to Gwen on Sunday night but heard nothing back from her until Thursday afternoon.

Crazy busy this week, but that's the norm. Hope you're having a good week and that you understand.

Hate to ask this but it's important and I don't have anywhere else to turn. My friend Sue Lee is in town and is having a really difficult time at the moment. Terry, I'm really worried about her, but I can't be there for her. I think it would help her if you'd talk with her. Please?

Terry stared at the little screen, shaking his head. "No way!" he said aloud, causing Sylvester to start and give him an evil eye that might have made Stephen King proud. "She's doing it again, Sylvester, trying to pawn me off on another one of her friends. A lot in common, code for get together with her and let me off the hook."

Trying to suppress his anger, he started typing a message but was interrupted when another message popped in.

P.S. Maybe we can get together for a drink when I get home, okay?"

He stared at the message and shook his head. "Damn, Sylvester. She knows exactly how to pull my strings, bribing me to get together with her friends." Seeing the cat's expression, he laughed. "Yeah, it's a bribe, but if it gives me one last chance to change Gwen's mind...well..."

He typed a brief message and hit Send.

***

On a Saturday night in early February, Terry, feeling the exploited fool, was once again walking into Olympus to meet another of her friends.

"What is it with Gwen's friends and this place?" he said under his breath as he walked into the bar. It was a bit more crowded than usual with several college basketball games drawing attention on screens at various points around the establishment.

Terry looked but didn't see a woman fitting the description Gwen had sent him. Thinking he might have gotten out of it, he felt a little gush of excitement at the thought before going up to the bar where the bartender caught his eye almost immediately.

"Evening, Terry. What'll you have? Bottle of Heineken?"

"Good evening, Rick. Yeah, that'll work. Thanks. Looks busy this evening."

"Yeah, there's several great matchups tonight, plus we got a nice surprise a little while ago. A bunch of people that work for one of the smaller sports mags dropped in out of the blue a little while ago, too, so it's been rowdier than usual."

"Looks like it's good for business, though."

"True," agreed Rick, "but it's keeping us hopping."

"Say, I know it's a long shot but I'm looking for someone named Sue."

"Terry, you've really got it going, looking for a different pretty lady every time you come in here," said Rick with more than a hint of respect. "Unfortunately, I don't have a clue tonight who this one is or what she looks like, so I hope your usual luck holds out and she's as pretty as the rest."

Terry laughed and gave Rick the five-spot for the beer. "Thanks, Rick. We'll see."

He started making his way around the bar. Gwen's instructions had been curiously devoid of her usual clues on how to find the woman, just that Terry "would know her when you see her." He didn't have a clue what she meant, so he figured he'd look for someone looking sad and ask if he had it right.

Maybe she'll shoot me down and I can leave!

Smiling at the thought, he worked his way through the crowded bar until he saw her, a beautiful woman wearing a sad countenance on her face. She was holding a drink, but considering that it looked full, he suspected she was holding it for social reasons rather than for enjoyment.

"Excuse me? Sue?"

"Yes?" she said, rolling her eyes as if upset at being interrupted in her sadness.

"Hi, I'm Terry. You looked really sad, maybe even upset; I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help?"

Sue looked at him skeptically, studying his face, before asking, "Are you serious?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Great, now you're making me feel old, too."

Terry laughed involuntarily. "Old? You're what, 30, maybe 35 tops?"

"You've never heard not to ask a woman her age?"

"Hey, you were the one who mentioned being old. I was just showing you're not. I don't care if you're 30, 35, or anywhere in between."

He received her glare but, when he didn't wither under it or flee, she sighed and said, "Thirty-eight, thirty nine in April."

"See! I told you that you're not old!"

"No, but the boss at the magazine I've worked with for the past few years thinks so and he signs the paychecks. Of course, if I sweeten the deal, he'll consider putting me on contract for another year."

"If that means what it sounds like, it's harassment and you might have grounds for a lawsuit. I know some good attorneys, if you're interested."

She nodded. "I like sex...no, I love sex, but on my terms, not when they're dictated to me. An attorney might be good. Do you have a card?"

"Sure. Here you go. Shoot me an email. I'll be glad to send you a couple of names. They probably won't be able to take your case, but they both owe me so they''ll be able to refer you to someone who can."

"Thank you." She studied his face again for a moment before adding, "You seem like a really nice, really normal guy. Can I ask you a personal question?"

"Sure, if you can stop there and avoid calling me boring, you can ask." He grinned and she chuckled, the happiest she'd looked so far. When she did, Terry felt she looked vaguely familiar, like someone he'd met somewhere before, but he couldn't quite place her. Then he finished, "But, depending on the question, I don't know if I'll answer."

"Fair enough. If you had the chance, would you sleep with me?"

It was Terry's turn to chuckle. "Sue, I'd guess that 99 percent of heterosexual men, including me, would, if their circumstances were right My circumstances aren't at the moment, so as much as I'd like to say yes, I couldn't."

"Circumstances with another woman?"

"Yeah. One...or maybe two, depending on how I look at it."

She took his hand before saying, "I hope it works out for you, and that she's as lucky as I think she'll be." Suddenly, she rose out of her seat and leaned across the table to kiss his cheek.

Terry was smiling. "Thank you, Sue. I appreciate it."

She smiled back. "Terry, I rode with the others. Do you think you could take me back to my hotel? I want to call a friend I haven't spoken with in a while. He's a nice guy like you, but I always worried that he was a little too—"

"Don't call him that," Terry warned, smiling.

"No, not that. Normal...for my lifestyle, anyway. We've been together, off and on, for years, but have never been able to make a commitment to each other . I have a lot of options so maybe a new normal might not be such a bad thing. So can you take me?"

"Sure, I'll be glad to."

Terry helped her with her coat before Sue took his arm and walked out with him. She was about 5'-9" tall and moved with grace and confidence he'd have never guessed when he sat down at the table with her. As they passed by the bar, Rick caught his eye and gave him a disbelieving grin.

"Good night, Rick," called Terry over his shoulder as they headed toward the door.

***

Terry had a restless night, unable to sleep well, as he thought about what had happened in recent months, how much he liked Gwen, and how he'd become increasingly disheartened by the circumstances between them. He thought about how Sue talked in the car on the way to the hotel about her unwillingness to commit her old boyfriend, how he'd always pushed for it, and how she'd resisted, keeping their relationship from maturing.

Terry saw parallels with his relationship with Gwen. Without a degree of commitment from her, their relationship could never grow and develop, and he could never see himself being comfortable in it. Unless Gwen was willing to make a commitment, it was ultimately a dead end. While admittedly a pleasurable one while they were together, Terry didn't want to consider Gwen to be like one of Rose's "buddies."

Stressed and unhappy, he spoke with each of his kids, Rose, and Carl that day, trying to decide what to do, how to move forward or walk away. He tried calling Gwen several times but he hadn't been able to reach her in almost two weeks, so he finally sent her a message.

Dear Gwen,

I'm sorry to be saying this by note rather than in person or even over the phone.

You know I care a great deal about you, but it's not enough. I've met and had what was practically a date getting to know a number of your friends. While I like each of them, they're not you and I don't like them in a romantic way like you. I can't keep seeing your friends as a way of having a chance to stay close to you, which is what I've been doing. I admit it, I knew I was doing it, so it's my fault, too, but good relationships don't work like that, and ours, whatever it is, definitely isn't working right. Your trips keep getting extended, we haven't seen each other in nearly a month, and we haven't spoken in almost two weeks even though I keep calling and leaving messages. It's like you're deliberately pushing away and I really don't understand it unless that's exactly what you want.

As much as I like you and had hopes for us, I see now that your job really is your life like you said. I want to continue seeing you and see where this might go, but I can't do it like this anymore. I'm through. No more using your friends to bribe me, or is it using time with you to bribe me to see your friends? Whichever, if we can't be together as lovers or more on our own, we can't be together at all.

If you change your mind, let me know and I'll be over the moon. If not, it's just over.

So very sorry it's come to this when I think it could have been so much more.

Regretfully,

Terry

Unlike her usual delay of hours or often days, this time she wrote back within a few minutes.

My dearest Terry,

I completely understand and am sorry that circumstances are such as they are and that we can't be together. I am thankful for having you in my life if only for a little while and I greatly appreciate all you've done for my friends. You have helped them more than words can express and they and I all appreciate that.

For that reason, I need you to step back from what you wrote and see just one more of my friends this Thursday night. I promise, this will be the last one and I won't bother you again. Yes, I know it's Valentine's Day but she's been through a particularly rough patch over the past few years and has her own baggage about that day, too. To make things worse, something that happened recently has put her on the brink and I'm very worried about her. I think a meeting with you, just talking for a little while, might do wonders for her. I can't explain but it could help her get her head on straight and maybe get her life back on track, too.

Please, I beg you, if you ever truly cared about me, please go, meet my friend L.J., and just talk. You don't have to even leave the bar. She'll be at the right end of the bar on the last stool at 8:15 on Thursday night. She'll have dark red hair and be wearing a little black dress. Unless I miss my guess, she'll also be crying over her drink.

Love,

Gwen

Terry stared at her reply and practically roared, "Not a chance!"

Sylvester gave him that special "You do know you're bothering me again" look, leading Terry to curse and reread it yet again before his fingers started flying over the phone, typing out a response. Meeting another Gwen's fragile friends was all that he needed, but he couldn't quite get her out of his mind. Despite having just broken up with her, he still cared a great deal about Gwen, and thought that maybe this would be the one where she realized she cared for him, too. Reluctantly, he deleted his initial rant and wrote a polite little response instead.

1...456789