Heterochromia

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We were only a couple blocks from her apartment when we left the restaurant. I walked her home, feeling good about the time we'd spent together. At the door to her building, I got a more intimate kiss goodnight. I knew immediately I wasn't getting invited up. We talked for a couple more minutes after the kiss before she said she had to go inside and prepare for the next day when she had an interview. I got a second kiss. I felt there was more promise in the second kiss. I watched her go inside and disappear around the corner.

Once again, I felt like a high school kid. Excited that another date had gone well, and more affection had been bestowed at the girl's front door. I walked home in a good mood. As I walked, I began to ponder the next day when I had to return to work. I knew I had an exceptionally long day scheduled that included an early one-on-one with the managing partner, almost always an unpleasant experience. We still had some remaining obligations to MechLinx but were almost done. Severing the firm's relationship with MechLinx was going to be the primary topic. Firing a client, and the revenue hit it meant, were touchy subjects.

I was only halfway home when my phone beeped. I stopped and checked my messages. It was from Paula. 'I'll invite you up soon. It just couldn't be tonight.' My mood brightened further. I knew I'd survive Monday no matter how unpleasant. All I wanted to think about was Paula, the day we spent together, and the promise in the message she sent.

Except for Monday and Friday, my week mostly flew by. There was a tense discussion about my decision to sever ties with MechLinx. But in the end, we couldn't maintain a relationship with them under the current regime. As it was, having to repeatedly answer questions from the SEC about MechLinx was disruptive and consuming valuable partner and associate time. Time that wasn't generating revenue. It was better not to be in bed with them.

I spoke with Paula on Wednesday and made plans for the weekend. But she called again on Thursday morning and canceled. She was leaving that afternoon for San Francisco. She had a Friday meeting with the managing partner of the San Francisco office of one the firms she had interviewed with. They wanted her there through Monday afternoon. She expected to fly home on Tuesday. I was excited for her but concerned that she'd be offered a job on the West Coast. It would end our budding relationship. Paula called my office on Monday when I was in a meeting and left a message with Jeannie that she would be in San Francisco through Thursday, home Friday. Now I was worried that she was likely moving west.

I was out of the office meeting with a potential client on Friday afternoon when Paula called again. The meeting went until nearly six and then extended into dinner. I couldn't get away to call until dinner ended after nine. I sent a text to make sure I wouldn't wake her if I called. My phone rang less than a minute after I pressed send.

'Hi! How was your trip?' I asked. 'You're interview kept you out west a long time. They must have been impressed!'

'They put me through the wringer this week,' Paula responded. 'They kept me because they wanted me to meet with the ranking senior partner and another high-ranking partner. One was due back from vacation Thursday and the other was delayed by weather returning from Europe. They called before I left this morning. They told me there would be an offer in my email by Monday afternoon.'

I suppressed my disappointment. 'That's great!' I told her. I was happy for her though I felt guilty and disappointed because I really wanted her to stay in New York. I wanted to spend more time with her. If she moved to San Francisco, I knew we'd lose touch.

Paula laughed. 'I hope you can hide your thoughts better when you're negotiating with a client,' she said.

'What do you mean? I'm happy for you,' I assured her.

'And sad for you,' she responded. 'You don't have to worry. I'm not going anywhere. I've already made up my mind. In fact, I knew before they asked me to stay into this week.'

"Why did you stay?' I was curious why she stayed to continue to interview for a job she knew she wouldn't take.

'Two reasons. Practice interviewing. I was at MechLinx for six years. I'm out of practice,' she said without continuing.

'You said two reasons. That's only one.'

'They booked me into a five-star hotel. Told me to do whatever I wanted over the weekend through Monday. Just save all my hotel, meal, car rental, and fuel receipts. They'd reimburse me. I drove to Napa Friday night and spent Saturday and Sunday touring wineries. I hope you like wine. I bought a dozen cases. Of course, they won't pay for the wine I bought. I sent a case each to my parents and siblings. And one to my girlfriend, Terry. The one that blew me off for a date instead of going to the Ranger game. The rest is coming to my place.'

'What's your backup plan if you're not accepting this offer?' I asked.

'I'm not worried. I've got enough in my checking account to keep me going for over a year. Plus, I've got savings though I don't want to spend that if I can avoid it. And I haven't been turned down by any of the local opportunities yet. Enough about work. What are you doing?'

'I'm in a cab on my way home. I'm whipped. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday were okay. Monday was long. Today was supposed to be an easy day. It didn't work out that way. I'm going to bed as soon as I get home,' I told her.

'You don't want to come by?' she asked brightly.

'I'd love to. But I'm really beat. How about tomorrow? After I get some sleep?' I couldn't believe myself. Practically begging not to go to an attractive woman's apartment.

'Okay, but you'll miss out. I make a great breakfast.'

I reconsidered. 'I'll be at your place inside an hour.'

'I thought so,' she laughed. 'Ring four-fourteen when you get here. I'll buzz you in.' She was gone.

I made a quick stop at home for a change of clothes and some toiletries, then walked to Paula's building. I pressed the button on her mailbox. A moment later, I almost jumped out of my shoes when the door release squelched. I waited a good ten minutes for the elevator. I was about to take the stairs when the doors opened. Two old women and their snippy little dogs burst out of the elevator. The women were gabbing away, both talking at the same time. Both dogs snapped at me when they got off the elevator. One of the dogs snarled and barked at me nonstop. It looked like it was older than its owner and shook like an old Harley. It darted over to me and lifted its leg. The damn thing was going to piss on me. I managed to get out of way before it let loose.

'Damn you, Maxie! You couldn't wait another minute?' the dog's owner griped as a puddle formed where I had been standing. She didn't even acknowledge me. Forget apologize.

I scooted around them and stepped into the elevator. I pressed the button for four. As the door closed, the little dog's owner uttered a panic-stricken 'Wait!' I made no effort to stop the elevator. I didn't like myself for it. I normally liked dogs, though my taste leaned more toward an animal that wouldn't fit in a purse and snapped at anything bigger than it. But I was tired and didn't feel like dealing with anything that might ruin my improving mood. The woman and her little dog could wait for elevator to return.

Paula was down the hallway when I got off the elevator, leaning against her door frame. She greeted me with a quick hug and kiss. She took my bag and coat and went down the hallway, returning a moment later, all smiles.

'Would you like a glass of wine?' Paula asked.

'From your tour of the vineyards?' I asked teasing.

'No, silly. That's still being shipped. I know it's difficult, but you can find wine in New York City if you try hard enough,' she teased. 'I'm drinking merlot. I have white, too.'

'Merlot sounds good,' I sighed.

'Are you okay?' she asked as she went into the kitchen.

'Just tired. I had a rough day. It was supposed to be an easy one,' I answered, raising my voice slightly so she could hear.

Paula returned with a glass for me and sat next to me, curling her sock-clad feet under her. I took a sip and set the glass on the table next to me. She looked good. She wore an off-white silk shirt that wasn't quite opaque; I could make out the outline of her bra. Stretch denims that fit like skin betrayed every curve and nuance of her lower body, including a pancake flat abdomen.

'You stopped home first,' she said. 'I thought you'd make a beeline right here,' she added with a smile.

'I might have,' I grinned. 'But I didn't want to start tomorrow wearing today's clothes.' I thought for a minute before continuing. 'May I ask why you decided to turn down an offer from the west coast?'

'There are several,' she responded. 'In no particular order. I don't want to leave New York. All my family is near enough to visit,' then added with a grin, 'but far enough away not to be a nuisance. I have several potential options here that are more appealing. I don't want to practice the kind of law they talked to me about. When they said I would be receiving an offer, they also told me the salary would be generous, but it would not include a path to partner. I'd be strictly a highly-paid associate. San Francisco is incredibly expensive. And then there's this guy that's caught my attention. I'm not ready to write him off yet.'

'This guy,' I started before sipping my wine, 'is it anyone I know?

'Probably not. He strikes me as a nice guy. I get the impression you don't know many nice guys,' she smiled slyly.

We talked for a few more minutes while we both nursed our wines. The few sips of wine I drank started to make me feel a bit logy. I could feel all the days stress and aggravation dissipate as I relaxed. During a lull in the conversation Paula got up.

'I'll be right back,' she told me, kissed the top of my head, and went down the hallway.

My body clock woke me like it always does. Which means morning wood and a full bladder. Something didn't feel quite right though. Trying to move confirmed it. Something felt very wrong. Every muscle in my body ached. I stretched and immediately realized I wasn't in bed. I'd fallen asleep sitting on the couch, something I almost never did. I opened my eyes and didn't recognize anything. It took a second to grasp where I was. With a start, I realized I fell asleep on Paula's couch. I took off the afghan Paula must have covered me with and stood. A bathroom was my immediate priority. After yawning and stretching, I went down the hallway and found the bathroom.

Paula was sitting in a chair wearing flannel pajamas when I returned to the living room. 'This is a first for me,' she began. 'I can't ever recall inviting a man to spend the night only to have him sleep on my couch.'

I knew Paula couldn't be happy with me, but I couldn't tell whether she was annoyed beyond forgiveness. I smiled at her sheepishly. 'I did tell you I was beat when you called. I'm sorry I fell asleep. How about I make it up to you?'

'What did you have in mind?' she asked evenly. I still couldn't read her face. Or the tone of her voice. I sometimes played poker with a mixed-gender group of partners. I decided right then never to invite her to sit in. I wasn't about to suggest we retire to her bedroom. That ship had sailed. I didn't have any idea what to do so I winged it. 'How about I cook instead of holding you to your offer to make breakfast?'

'Okay. I'm going to take a shower. You can take one in the guest bath. Help yourself to a bath towel and wash cloth from the hall closet. I'll meet you in the kitchen.' Paula got up and went down the hallway into her bedroom. I followed as far as the linen closet. After the door closed behind her, I heard the lock click.

I grabbed my bag and the needed linens, brushed my teeth, and took a shower with the water as hot as I could stand it. I cleaned up after myself, making sure all the surfaces were dry and dropped the linens into the hamper. The hot water eased the muscle soreness from sleeping on the couch but did nothing to mitigate my embarrassment. I left the bathroom fan running, grabbed my bag, and carried it out to the living room, dropping it by the front door. I wanted to be prepared for hasty departure if the atmosphere got stormy.

I beat Paula to the kitchen. Her kitchen was amazing. High end appliances that looked almost new. I didn't have to snoop through her drawers and cabinets for everything I needed to cook. A rack held an assortment of copper-clad pots and pans above the butcher block topped island. I grabbed a large frying pan. A magnetic bar to the left of the stove held knives, hooks to the right held cooking utensils. A loaf of bread and a butter dish were on the island. A quick look in her fridge found eggs, milk, mushrooms, peppers, Roma tomatoes, shredded cheeses including a good parmesan, and Parma ham. A bowl to mix everything in was in the dish rack next to the sink.

By the time Paula arrived in the kitchen, the omelet was almost ready. The coffee pot had started on its own. I was going to inquire about plates, but she had already put them on the counter next to the stove and was getting forks and knives from a drawer. She buttered the toast while I split the omelet between the plates. I poured coffee for us and joined her at the table.

'This is good,' Paula said as she tucked into her plate. 'Almost like you know how to cook,' she added with a sly smile.

We ate mostly in silence. And she ate like she hadn't had a meal in a week. After we finished, we made small talk while I washed the dishes. She dried. I paid close attention to everything she said, trying to get a sense of whether I still had her favor.

I struggled to keep my eyes off her body while we did the dishes. She wore a bright blue body suit and black yoga pants. She was barefoot. Over breakfast I'd noticed she hadn't bothered with a bra. Her nipples were hard and plainly visible pressed against the Lycra body suit. Was this just a little tease before she showed me the door?

Once we were done, she led me into the living room and stood in front of me. 'That was good, Josh. But it's just not good enough to make up for falling asleep on me last night. That kind of thing isn't good for a girl's ego.' She caressed my cheek as she spoke, looking up at me.

I blinked a couple times. I was getting mixed messages. The caress and her tone were at odds. 'I hesitate to suggest what else I might do. I don't want to disappoint you. But I also don't want to make any assumptions,' I said hesitantly.

'Give it a minute or two. Maybe something will pop up,' she giggled as she dropped her hand from my face and took mine.

She started for the hallway to the bedrooms. I followed, feeling much like I did when Gabrielle Benedetti led me to her room one morning when we were off from school and her parents were at work. I had a good idea what was going to happen that afternoon with Gabby. I wasn't disappointed. I hoped this would turn out the same.

She led me to her closet and opened the door. 'Could you get that box down for me? I can't reach it.' I took the box down for her. It was heavy. 'Follow me,' she said as she turned and left the room. She led me farther down the hallway into another bedroom that was set up as an office. 'Please set it on that table for me.'

I put the box down where she indicated and followed her out of the room, down the hallway back to the living room. She plopped down on the couch and curled her feet up under her. We spent the next few minutes talking on her couch. No serious or earth-shattering topics. Small talk typical of two people who knew each other enough to be at ease but were still exploring their relationship.

'Well, Josh. I've got to change and get ready to go. I'm meeting my girlfriend in a little bit.' She stood, held out her hand and tugged mine when I took it. I stood. When I did, she continued to hold my hand and led me to her door. She stood on her tiptoes and kissed my cheek. 'I'll give you a call soon,' she said. I picked up my bag and said goodbye. After the door closed, I thought I heard a giggle.

I got on the elevator and headed for the lobby. To my chagrin, Maxie and his owner were already on the elevator. The old woman gave me a dirty look and Maxie tried to hump my leg. I shook him off and returned the woman's dirty look. 'Please restrain your dog, ma'am.' She tightened the leash as I moved away from her and her dog.

I wasn't too disappointed as I left Paula's building. I only had myself to blame. I should have stuck to my guns and gone home after work. I was beat and knew it. But I felt myself beginning to sulk a little bit as I walked. Just before I got to my building my cell phone rang and an SUV slowed alongside me and matched my pace. Instinctively I looked at it but couldn't see inside through the tinted windows. I ignored it as I answered a call from Paula.

'Stop feeling sorry for yourself, Josh,' she laughed. 'Pick me up at seven. Dress nice.'

The car beeped its horn and the passenger window went down. Paula was in the passenger seat grinning, holding her phone to her ear. Paula's girlfriend was also grinning at me from behind the wheel. Paula's girlfriend looked like she was stifling a laugh.

'What's nice mean?' I asked as I approached the car. 'Formal? Black tie? White tie? A suit?'

'Nothing that extreme,' Paula laughed. 'Friday-night-out casual. You can wear a jacket if you like. The restaurant frowns on denim and polo shirts.' The window on the Mazda went up and they drove away.

Tinny voices were coming from my cell. I hadn't hung up yet and apparently Paula hadn't either. I started to ring off but decided to listen for a moment. It felt a little underhanded but I couldn't resist.

'You've got it bad, girlfriend!' said a voice I didn't know.

'Okay, I admit it. I do. You have no idea how mad I was last night when he fell asleep on my couch. I was only gone long enough to strip out my clothes and spritz on some perfume. I was going to rock his world. I'd been thinking about it all day,' Paula responded.

This was good stuff, but I felt horrible for listening in. I knew I should ring off, but I also couldn't resist eavesdropping a bit longer.

'I still can't believe you didn't call and cancel. He's gorgeous. I would have dumped an afternoon with you in a heartbeat.'

'You mean like the night you were going with me to the Ranger game? I wore a skin-tight body suit and yoga pants to breakfast. Which he cooked. He's not bad in the kitchen. My nipples were like rocks. I considered calling you while I was eating breakfast. It wasn't easy stifling a desire to join him in the shower. After breakfast, we sat and talked. I still can't believe he managed to resist staring at my tits. Before I had to get ready to go out, I took his hand and led him to my bedroom . . .'

Paula's girlfriend interrupted, 'And right into your bed! I love getting fucked in the morning! It's about time you got something going for yourself.' She sounded like quite a piece of work.

'No, Terry, I didn't take him to bed. I had him take down a box from the top shelf in my closet and bring it into my office. Then he had to go so I could get ready.'

'What? You just sent him home?' Paula's girlfriend gasped. 'I never knew you were such a cock-teasing bitch!' Paula's girlfriend was laughing now.

I hung up. I wasn't sure I wanted to eavesdrop any longer. I already felt sneaky. And it might raise my expectations too high.

I didn't have much going on that day. I went out for a run. Took another shower and did some laundry. Called my parents, my ex-sister-in-law and her kids, and then my sister. I'd neglected them for a few weeks which was out of character for me. I didn't call my brothers. I was sure I wouldn't get my troubled youngest brother. I didn't want to listen to my other brother gloat about the free-agent signings he was helping to engineer for the Yankees over the off season. Having been born just outside Boston to two long-time season ticket holders, I was a Red Sox fan. He always was, too. At least until he spent six years playing for National League teams and wrapped up his career with three years on the Yankees bench. He worked for the Yankees now, based out of Tampa.

123456...8