High Stakes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Holy shit. You god damned shark."

"Steady on, Theo, the bet was your idea. I didn't ask for it."

He shook his head and he didn't look happy. "Guess I better put in some more work."

The waiter came for our orders and brought more drinks. "Have you told your parents about the book?" I asked.

"No, in fact, I'm thinking of publishing under a pseudonym."

"You do realize it will be much harder to promote? Publicity is hard to get if you can't do the readings and promotional work."

"Yeah, I know. It's going to be hard, though. If I'm going to make any sort of impression at my new job, then I don't need any distractions. I need to focus on that. The poetry is okay, but the real money will be my job."

"Very well. It is your call."

The food arrived, and we talked easily. He asked after Bill and the team. It was all pleasant and impersonal. That is until he asked: "Where do you want to go for our date?"

"Getting ahead of yourself a little, aren't you?"

"No, I'm confident."

"Theo, are you serious? We are very different people. I am a lot older than you. I have different tastes."

"Sage, all I'm asking is a shot. We go out, we forget everything, age, rank, serial number. All irrelevant. We see if what we are feeling is real."

"What do you mean 'we?'"

"I know what I'm feeling Sage, and I'm damned sure you must be feeling it. God wouldn't be so cruel to make this be unrequited."

I smiled. "God, huh? I'm not a religious person, Theo."

He reached for my hand, and held it tightly in both his. He rubbed and caressed gently. "Tell me you're not interested, and I'll call it off."

I grimaced. I didn't want to show my intent, but as always, he wriggled his way under my skin, and I had to silently look away.

"Hah! I knew it. I damned well knew it. Doggon it, Sage, what are you so scared of? I don't work for you any longer."

"I know, but..."

"No buts, just tell me. I know you're interested. I'm not an idiot. I know what I'm feeling is so powerful, you must feel it. You must."

"Theo, I have spent my whole life focusing on my company. It has been my one goal, my greatest achievement. I don't have time for romance."

"God, that sounds awful. I want success, as well. I'm ambitious, but I have dreams, and they include love. Maybe that sounds dramatic and sentimental, but I'm a romantic. I make no apologies for that."

He scared me, his words shook my very core. For the first time ever, I questioned my reasoning. I shuddered at the realization, his words excited me."

We finished quickly. I did have an early start in the morning. As we walked outside, I felt his arm slide around my wait and he fell into step beside me. His hand felt nice, not forceful, just strong.

Outside, he pulled me to him, and as I stared up into his blue eyes, he leaned down and kissed me. His lips lingering, opening slowly.

It took me by surprise, and I melted against him, my own lips opening, allowing his tongue to slide gently into my mouth. The kiss was exquisite, his lips were firm, strong and yet not overly so. My hands rested on his chest, my heart raced.

We stayed like that for what seemed like forever. When we separated, he smiled, his words barely a whisper: "Wow, that's a hell of a kiss. You are a very gorgeous sexy woman, Sage. So damn beautiful."

I had to wait a second for my heart to stop fluttering. "Thank you, Theo, you are very sweet."

"When do you think you will have the artwork ready?"

Catching my breath, I replied, "Give me a few days. I will have the full contract ready. I can post it, if you are busy?"

"Nope, I like the messenger you used this time. Can we repeat the exercise?"

"You are just trying to get your date because you know you aren't going to win."

"Nope, I just can't get enough. I tried to tell you, Sage, you are doing terrible things to my heart. I may be in love. I have never felt this way before."

The L word, yeah, it shocked me. I spluttered trying to answer him. I had nothing. He pulled open the cab door and as I climbed in, he said it again, "Love you."

My world that was so structured and running smoothly, was now in a tail spin. For the first time since setting out on my journey, I felt like I wasn't in control, that I was suddenly uncertain and timid.

I couldn't face Theo again, not until I understood my feeling. I posted him the new mock ups. I expected him to complain, all I got was an email, saying. "Love it. Perfect, thanks."

That confused me further. We finished the mock ups, and sent him the offer. His response was quick: he accepted. To maintain his anonymity, I organized the payments.

At least it freed me from having to deal with Theo.

I focused on my training for the half marathon. I wasn't lying when I told Theo I was trying to run a sub two-hour time. I had been trying for nearly five years, every year it got harder and harder. Historically, I had been hammered by work commitments, or some drama or other that hampered my training. It was a goal, I wanted to beat two hours before I was too old, or my knees were shot.

At least focusing on the run kept my mind of other things.

*****

Race day was upon us in no time, and I felt comfortable my training had worked, and I was comfortable that I would go close to 2 hours.

Long Island is suburban hell: rows of houses. Nice if you're into that sort of thing. For me it just smacked of little boxes. It was a big day for Bay Side. The crowd was in the thousands, and there were people everywhere. I wandered into the registrations tent to confirm my start and get my number.

I joined in the crowd as we all worked through our stretches. "Hey, boss lady." Turning, I found Theo staring at me. "Hey, Theo, are you ready?"

"Yep, ready as I'm going to be."

"Good luck."

"Same to you, Sage."

The organizers always let the faster runners go first, so I was middle of the pack. This is the bit I hate the most: everybody squashed together. It's so easy to get injured. It took about two miles for the field to thin out.

I soon fell into a good rhythm. I was lucky enough to fall in behind a guy who was running the perfect pace. All I had to do was keep up with him, and he would carry me along with him.

About five miles in, I got a shock when Theo pulled up beside me. "Hey, boss lady."

Casting my eyes over him, I could see he was already struggling, his running a little clumsier, his shirt drenched in sweat.

"Hey to you; how are you feeling?"

Wiping his brow, he replied, "Doing okay."

He tried to match me, he had obviously put in some hard miles to catch up, and it told. He was struggling. "Theo, if you can keep up, you will get a second wind. Just hang in there, all right?"

"Keep up." He snorted derisively. "I only dropped back to check up on you."

"Yes, I should have realized. No sense hanging here. You run your own race, Theo." We came up on a table dispensing water bottles. I headed for the table and snatched a bottle. Theo followed me, but he knocked over a bunch of bottles as he grabbed for one.

Taking a big gulp, I emptied the rest over my head. Theo mimicked me. The guy in front of me kicked off a little, and I decided to follow suit. I matched him as best I could. Checking my watch, I saw why, he was obviously trying for the a similar time. When I turned to look for Theo, he was gone. I looked back and saw him slipping backwards.

It gave me conflicting emotions. I would have liked him to win, I did want another date. I needed it to confirm or deny exactly what my real emotions were. Everything I had learned about men flashed before my eyes. If I let him win, yes, it was the ladylike thing to do. I would also miss my time. Looking at the way he was going backwards, there was a chance he might not even finish.

I decided to push on; I had put too much effort into this. I wanted that sub two-hour time.

I felt good. The pace was fast, but he was breaking the air for me. The course turns back on itself at different stages and winds back and forth through the town center.

About the eight mile stage, we turned the mark and were running back along the main street. I saw poor Theo. He was really struggling, barely running, more like a fast walk, and he was saturated, his shirt drenched in sweat.

I don't think he even saw me. His head was down and he was focused on just one step at a time. I remembered my first half marathon. I was much the same, so I had some empathy for him. I just hoped he made it home.

I had my own problems. Checking my watch, I realized that my wind break was slowing down. I could cruise home behind him, but I would miss my time.

To hell with it, I had to try. I pushed out past him and as I ran past, I said, "Come on, pal, you can do it."

He looked up at me and I saw the desire on his face. Now he was behind me, and I was carrying the load. Yes it was hard, but knowing I was helping pushed me, and I dug a little deeper, strode out a little more. We were in a good groove, and runners started to drop back as we passed them on the homeward stretch.

With the finish line in sight, my friend dug in, pulled up beside me and gave me a smile. "Thanks."

We crossed together, and when I ticked my stop watch, there it was: one hour forty eight."

I staggered over to the curb and crashed. I was exhausted. My muscles cramped and I lay in agony. My friend brought over a wet towel and a bottle of water. We sat together, and the medics came over to check me out.

It was nearly a forty minutes later when Theo came into view, and he was with a group who were all trying to support each other as they walked together. I stood by the finish line screaming and clapping. "Come on, Theo, you can do it."

There were lots of supporting faces, and I'm not sure he saw or heard me. They crossed in a big group, and collapsed. The medics came running and they were all ushered into the tent for evaluation. Tho finally saw me. "Guess you win, huh, boss lady?"

"Yes, I won. One hour forty eight."

He smiled. "Good for you, well done."

"Thanks, you got a good time, as well."

"Blah." He snorted. "They probably stopped counting."

I handed him his official finishing certificate, and he laughed. "Holy shit."

After drinking a couple of bottles of water, he was released and we walked down to the waterfront to stretch out the muscles and cool off. We found a quiet spot and sat on the grass together. I felt for him; like me, he clearly didn't like to lose.

We sipped at our water bottles, and I said, "We never really talked about what happens if you lost. All you talked about was winning."

"Oh god, here it comes. What do I have to do, clean your car? Walk into the office wearing a placard saying I lost?"

The last one did have merit, but I wasn't going to rub it in. "No, I had another idea."

"Oh yeah, and what would that be?"

"Well, if you won, you wanted a date."

"Yeah."

"Well, bad news, I won. What I want is a date, but I get to chose where, and you have to pay."

He smiled. "You want the date?"

I nodded. "Yes, I don't know why, you have done nothing but aggravate me, but yes, I want to go on the date."

He perked up straight away, "Okay, where are we going?"

"I don't know, you know what. I want you to surprise me, but be warned, if I don't like it, that will be our last."

He nodded thoughtfully. "Okay, you better tell me what you like then?"

"Oh, hell no. This was your idea, you do your own research. You figure it out."

"Jeez, Sage, you're not helping."

"No, you want it, you better find a way."

We stood up, we were both feeling it. "Oh god, I can't find a muscle that doesn't ache," he complained.

"It's all right for you, I'm older than you."

"God knows how you do it. I'm shattered."

"I'm going home to soak in the hot tub."

"Hot tub, oh dagnabbit, that sounds good. Got room for two?"

"Not on your life, buddy. In all seriousness, I do recommend it."

The drive home was relaxing. I did like him, maybe we could go out a few times, it might be fun. He was young and good company.

Tuesday the following week, Bill walked into my office. "Sage, can we talk?"

Seeing the serious look on his face, I said, "Come on in and close the door." As he sat opposite me, I asked. "What is the problem?"

"Sage, I don't want to meddle in your private life, but I got a slightly disturbing call from Theo."

I couldn't hold back my smile. "Theo, really?"

He saw my expression, and after doing a double-take, said. "You know what's going on?"

"Bill, Theo asked me out on a date. He wanted to know what I liked, and I told him if he wants to go on a date, then he could do his own damn research."

He looked confused. "You, and Theo? Jesus, Sage, are you sure you know what you're doing?"

I appreciated his sincerity, but I didn't like the edge. "Bill, if I was a guy and Theo was a young woman, would you have the same concerns?"

His face paled, and he winced. "No, probably not. I'm sorry. I shouldn't be interfering. What do you want me to tell him?"

"Bill, slow down. We are friends. I like that you are looking out for me, and I'm nervous about this. You know enough about me to know dating is not my usual thing."

He nodded, and swallowed hard. "I like to think about you like my daughter. I worry about you. Theo is a bit of a sassy young buck. If you're comfortable with it, then I'll tell him whatever you want."

"I want you to tell him what you think. Help him, or not. That is your call. You know most of what I like."

He stood up slowly. "I hope you know what you're doing, Sage. I like Theo, as well, but he is a cocksure young guy."

"He is all that, and more, but I feel comfortable with him. I have eaten bigger fish than him. If he turns out to be a prick, then I'll put him in his place."

He chuckled. "Yes, I guess you have. All right, i just didn't want to see you get hurt. Personally, I think he is a player. This is on you."

The concern was nice, but I could have dine without the judgment. At least Theo was doing his bit. Wednesday, he rang me. "Hey, Sage, are you free Saturday night?"

"I could be, depends on why?"

"I was hoping we could go out for dinner?"

"Dinner sounds nice, what should I wear?"

"It will be upmarket, so whatever you think appropriate."

"Is it just dinner, or will there be other activities?"

"How does dancing sound to you?"

"I'm good with dancing. Are we talking ball room, or club?"

"Somewhere in the middle. Do you enjoy the blues?"

"Smart ass. Who have you been talking to?"

"Hah, you will never find out. I never reveal my sources."

Saturday, I had the afternoon at the beauty salon, the nail salon and a late session with my hair stylist. Of course it wouldn't have been preparation if I didn't have a new outfit, bought specifically for the evening.

Oh do love the blues. My tastes are eclectic, but I do love the guitar. No, I don't play, but I do love sexy guitar slingers. I love their bad boy looks.

I dressed appropriately, a little sleazy, sexy without slutty. I admired my reflection in the mirror and was happy with what I saw. Okay, I'm forty five, but I still looked good.

Seven on the dot, and my doorbell rang. Opening the door, I was greeted by Theo, looking every bit the rocker. Jeans, classic white T-shirt, boots and sun glasses. He was a very sexy young man, and he was confident in his skin. I liked that.

As he stood back, his eyes took in my appearance; it wasn't lecherous, just admiring. "Wow, you are one hot mamma Sage. God, there are going to be some jealous women there tonight."

"Depends on where we're going."

As we pulled up outside the Terra Blues bar, I nodded softly, leaned close to his ear and whispered, "Nice choice."

"Why thank you, nice to know I got something right."

"Who's playing tonight?"

"Have you heard of Ali Venables?"he asked.

"No, not at all."

"Oh, I think you'll be impressed. I hope so at least. I'd bet on it."

.I had been to Terra Blues many times, it was no surprise. It was one of my favorite bars. They regularly had some of the best blues artists from all over the world. I actually knew several of the staff. As we arrived at the bar, the bartender said brightly, "Hey Sage."

"Hello, Alex, how have you been?"

"Good, you come to listen to Ali?"

"Apparently. Is she good?"

"She's awesome."

We had a few drinks at the bar before sitting down for dinner. I loved this place. It was so different from the usual places I went with my dates: down to earth, good food, reasonable prices and intimate. Yes, it was a great choice.

Theo and I had so many connections, the conversation flowed easily. It never got bogged down. He complained about still being in recovery from the run. We talked about his poetry, the book now at the printers.

We talked about his new company, and my work. It was a great night.

Once Ali Venables came on stage, the place erupted. Gee, she started right away, she was into a sweet Texas groove and the dance floor filled.

Theo reached out his hand and said. "Shall we?"

I love to dance, love to shake and get down and dirty. It is my alter ego. By day, I am the hardworking CEO, and by night, ever so occasionally, I am the crazy chick on the dance floor.

Theo was no dancer, let's get that clear right away. He was not a natural mover, but I could see he loved the music. We jived and danced. He let me go crazy, always there to hold my hand as I twirled and spun. The perfect dance partner.

It was later, when the lighting became intimate and the Texas groove was replaced by some super smooth Chicago style slow blues that Theo took command and pulled me into his arms. I didn't fight; he had provided the perfect date and I was enjoying myself.

Once in his strong arms, I let him lead. I loved his natural rawness. No cologne, he smelled like a man should smell. His stubble wasn't designed, it just happened. His hair was ruffled and a little messy. No three hundred dollar hair cuts here.

If I had to sum him up, it would be natural, a man's man.

I melted into his arms, enjoying the feel of his arms around me. When his hands slid down over my leather skirt, and he cupped my tushy. I didn't push him away. I slid my arms up over his shoulders and wrapped them seductively around his neck.

I rested my head against his chest, the raunchy sleazy blues allowed us to just sway, gliding no more than inches.

I felt his head move, and I tilted my head to greet his kiss with my own. His kiss was as I remembered, wonderful. His mouth opened, and I nibbled on his lips as his tongue slithered into my mouth.

Describe your perfect kiss. It was firm, in charge, slippery, but not sloppy. His tongue moved with purpose, danced with mine. Our minds were in sync; he instinctively knew what I wanted. We moved as one.

My heart pounded mercilessly, my temperature soared. My skin felt hot, sticky, like a warm simmer's evening.

His body fit snugly against me, even in my three-inch heels, I had to look up into his eyes, and they glistened. He was a very handsome man.

When the set ended, we moved apart, almost reluctantly. I didn't want that last song to end.

I went to the ladies, and he went to the bar.

When I returned, he was waiting. As I walked towards the table, his eyes never left mine. When I sat down, he said. "Well, what do you think?"

"I think she is amazing. One of the best I have seen."

He chuckled, and it sounded great, warm and inviting. "Smart ass, I meant the date. Have you had a good time?"

I leaned over and gave him a kiss. "Yes, it has been a wonderful evening. Thank you so much."

"Do I get a second date then?"

I let my frown say it all. "Theo, tonight was amazing. The venue was perfect, the music, sublime. You have been the perfect date. I'm afraid, if we had a second date, you would screw it all up, and my wonderful memory would be ruined forever."