High Stakes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Try as I might, I couldn't focus. Twenty years of hard work, passion and love, and I really did love my company, but now I hated it, as well. It kept me away from my babies.

In many ways, there was a coming together of minds. Theo wasn't entirely happy with his role, and I was nothing but a waste of time at the office.

When I suggested it to Theo, he was shocked, but as we talked it through, we decided it was worth the risk.

I quit work, taking a two year sabbatical, and Theo took over. It made sense. He already knew the business, had relationships with the staff, and it meant I didn't have to put my trust in a stranger.

Sounds simple, but it was far from it. Theo threw himself into it with the gusto of a new broom. That meant some late nights. We all missed him, but I was so in love with my new role. Driving Isabella to school, I loved it. Taking Auralie to preschool. Cooking and cleaning. I was in love, and unlike a lot of mothers, I threw myself into it.

I did miss work, after so many years of working 14 hour days, involved in the hub-bub of business. There was a vacuum.

Sister Grace and I had built a real connection, and she stayed in touch. We exchanged emails, and weekly phone calls as she outlined how they used our donations. It was nice to see how our money had helped, but it also showed how much more there was to do. They needed more than my donation.

Talking to Theo over a glass of wine, he made the suggestion. "What they really need is a dedicated charity. At the moment, they get the occasional donations, but then they rely on convincing government agencies, they need more."

"I have time," I mumbled.

"Meaning what?"

"We cannot afford to give much more than we have already have, but I have time, connections and managerial experience."

"You want to help one of the organizations?"

"No, they are all corrupt. I want to start our own." I couldn't hold back my sudden rush of enthusiasm. I started gushing. "Honey, the one thing I can bring is me. Think about it, I'm hanging around home all day. I could be raising money. I have great connections. I can hound the hell out of them. Raise the profile of what's needed."

He chuckled, "You're going to burn a lot of friendships, Sage."

"No, I think if they are truly friends, then they will understand. I can't sit back and do nothing. You saw those children, they had nothing. All those homeless impoverished people. We must help."

"Okay, so what do we do?"

"I am not sure, Honey, but I will do some research, find out what we have to do."

It took a lot of work, but finally our charity was up and running. I contacted every single person in my contact list. I canvased all the local businesses we did business with. I mailed out flyers. I started social media accounts.

I hit up celebrities. It was my parents who surprised me the most. Mom was close to retirement age, and now with Isabella and Auralie living with us, she was like me, looking for any excuse to get out of work just so she could spend the day with us.

On the weekends, she took them shopping, to the park, the zoo, galleries. She loved them to bits. When she asked me one day if we could talk. It took me by surprise.

"Sage, I'm selling my practice."

"No, I do not believe you."

"I am serious, Sage. You have given me so much joy lately. I love the girls, and I love spending time with you. I want to help out with the charity. I am going to start by donating the money from the sale of the practice. We don't need the money. We were saving it for you. The truth is, you don't need it either."

"Mom, are you kidding?" I said, wrapping her in my arms.

"Deadly serious, sweetheart. I want to help."

"Well, I could certainly use it. I am not sure I am doing a very good job."

"Good, I think you gave done a fabulous job. You have raised more money than I thought possible."

"It's only the start, Mom, but there will be no payments for work or travel. Everything has to be voluntary. I have seen some of those corrupt agencies firsthand, I am not letting this get railroaded and all the money soaked up in admin. So far, almost every cent has gone to the orphanage. Now we need to find ways to help other areas of the community."

"Yes, I agree."

Theo's Mom came on board, and she brought with her a different perspective. Gave me new insights.

Auralie, was such a wonderful child, but she was fragile. Having seen so many atrocities, she struggled to build relationships outside of home. She loved her grandparents, loved us, but after that, she struggled.

Isabella, was the opposite. She was a fighter, a tough independent child, strong and resourceful, with a huge heart. She could turn a dark room into a sun-filled glasshouse.

Together, the four of us became a family. The girls were the missing piece. It sounds trite, implausible, but after fighting my whole life not to be pigeonholed as a wife and mother, now I wore that badge with honor. With my dragons slain, I had nothing left to prove. I absorbed myself with making their lives perfect.

Not by spoiling them, okay, maybe a little. I wanted them to grow into independent, strong women. Although, now I wanted them to see both sides of the coin, there is room in their lives for love.

Having them in my life has changed so much for me. My relationship with my parents is so much better, more loving. My relationship with Theo's parents is also stringer. I am less judgmental, and I understand David's choices. He didn't have the resources I did. He didn't have the education. Not his fault, times were different. He left school to help out his parents and their family.

At first, I didn't see it, but now, I see so clearly and I have an incredible respect for him. Theo and I have been trying to find ways to help them financially.

Theo, well he has grown, too. He does things his way, but the company is stronger now than when I was at the helm. That was a hard pill to swallow. I was not irreplaceable. Damn it.

I was surprised at how much that hurt, seeing him reject some of my ideas and suggestions, only to find out he was right. Yes, that hurt.

I keep trying to push him towards poetry, just so I can go back to work, reclaim my crown, but although he still writes, it is more a hobby. Pity, really, because he is damned good. His book of poetry is sought after. Thee initial run sold out within months. It is now on the third printing.

Life, couldn't be better.