Hills of the North Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Most important of all, Emily finally discovered that Alice was her birth mother, and the two of them quickly developed a close bond.

The PCC of St. Peter's church erected a proper headstone over the grave of Caroline Gaskell. Her life story attracted a lot of interest both online and offline. Not everyone was happy that she'd been buried in a churchyard; some feminist groups were angry, given that her cruel father had been a vicar.

"Emily's ashes should've been scattered over Pendle Hill!" A social media post read. "There, freed from patriarchal shackles, her spirit could wander free. Just like the victims of the witch trials."

Others were happy that the local woman finally had a proper resting place, where people could pay their respects.

"In one of those nightmares you had," Ray said as he brewed Alice a coffee, "there's one thing that's still unanswered. Why was Hills of the North Rejoice playing? What's the significance of that? Now the hymn was written in 1870 by Charles E. Oakley. But the Little Cornard tune was written in 1915. That's forty-five years after Caroline died."

She smiled and slipped her arms round him. "Didn't find out myself until Emily told me. She said it was her favourite hymn as a child. Also it was the first hymn I learnt to play on the organ."

"Ah!" Ray said nothing else, but he suspected that Emily had inherited her mum's second sight.

Hills of the north, rejoice;

river and mountain spring,

hark to the advent voice;

valley and lowland, sing;

though absent long, your Lord is nigh;

he judgment brings and victory.