History Lesson

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jenny picked it up and I watched her, as a tear slid down her cheek. She placed it ever so gently back on my desk, came over, and rubbed her hand up and down my arm. Then she stroked my cheek with the back of her fingers, her touch lingering for just a moment before she headed back toward the living room. Hank accompanied us to the tiny backyard, and she got him to play for a bit, which was impressive. Or he may have been trying to show off.

After a bit, she gave him a last belly rub, and stood. "Thanks again, Ieuan, for sharing. I guess I should get home?"

I laughed. "Are you asking or telling?"

She grinned ruefully. "Come on, give me a ride."

When we arrived at her apartment, she reached over to touch my shoulder briefly, and said, "No need to walk me up. I'll see you bright and early Thursday?"

"Looking forward to it."

><><><><><

Bright and early, it was! I was reading the instructions that came with the turkey when I heard their old Toyota rattling up the driveway.

She knocked hesitantly, and I let her in. Hank accepted her greeting, then retired to a spot under the kitchen table where he could observe and sneak an occasional dropped tidbit.

She relaxed quickly though, and we started prepping various and sundry goodies for the upcoming feast. Jenny insisted that Thanksgiving was always served in the early afternoon, and as my grandfather would have said, pawb at y peth y bo, 'each to their own.' Whatever she wanted was good with me.

I had to do some minor arithmetic to figure out when the turkey needed to go into the oven, then Jenny set me to chopping onions and celery to go into her grandmother's cornbread stuffing. When she started filling the turkey with it, I just gaped at her. Honestly, I had no idea.

"This way, it's called stuffing," she explained. "You could throw it in a bowl, but then it's just dressing. And dressing is a pale mockery of stuffing. Trust me on this."

Who was I to argue?

While the turkey was doing its thing in the oven, we continued our preparations. My house is small, and there's not really room for two in the kitchen, but we made the best of it. I'd like to say that we were a culinary ballet working together in that tiny space, but I'd be lying. A pregnant woman and an ungainly Welshman do not a ballet make. But it was still quite an enjoyable morning, and surprisingly... domestic? I found myself smiling and caught her smiling back.

Finally, we'd done all the damage we could. Jenny plopped down in a chair and groaned, trying to stretch overworked muscles. I don't know what possessed me, but I moved behind her and started rubbing her back. She froze for the tiniest moment, but as I gently worked my thumbs into her trapezius muscles, she let her head loll forward, and moaned, "Ohh, Ieuan, that's magic."

"At your service, milady." I continued my ministrations, gently working on her upper back, then returning to her neck and shoulders. After a few minutes, she moved away, and said, "Thank you, that was wonderful. Any more, and I'd start drooling on the table." She stretched and stood. "But I need to head back, get cleaned up, and fetch Sheila. You good to keep an eye on everything?"

"Aye, aye, Captain," I saluted.

She rolled her eyes. "We'll be back in a bit."

After she left, I sat at the table, remembering the feel of her under my fingers. "Sort yourself out, lad!" I scolded myself.

Eventually, I looked at Hank. "Can I trust you not to steal anything from the worktop while I'm in the shower?"

He tried to look innocent, but he wasn't fooling anyone.

"That's what I thought. Come on; you can guard the backyard while I shower. I think I saw a cat out there."

><><><><><

About two hours later, Jenny returned with Sheila in tow. Hank greeted Jenny, but when Sheila tried to pet him, he pulled back from her. "Hank, be nice," I admonished. "Sorry Sheila, he's just not used to company. At all, really. You're my first houseguests since my sister visited... oh, when was that? Summer before last?" Had it been that long? I needed to call Beca.

"No worries, never really been a dog person. No offense, buddy," she added for Hank's benefit.

"Show Sheila the house Ieuan, while I make sure you didn't mess anything up," Jenny urged.

"Ouch! Come on, Sheila, I can tell when we're not wanted."

She laughed, and Jenny just made shooing motions. I went to the refrigerator, pulled out a bottled water for Jenny, and waggled a beer at Sheila. She nodded.

I gave her the same tour I'd given Jenny. She didn't ask any questions. She did notice the picture of Olivia but just nodded when I confirmed it was my late wife.

The tour didn't take very long, and we headed back to the kitchen. I started helping with the meal, and Sheila grabbed another beer. She took a seat at the table, and we chatted about school, classes, and Jenny's work while we did our best to assemble our feast. The kitchen hadn't grown any larger since we'd last been there, and now Sheila was there sharing the space. Granted, not actively getting in the way, but still. So, there was a fair amount of unintentional contact as we maneuvered around each other. Jenny hadn't seemed to be bothered by it earlier, and wasn't now, until she noticed Sheila starting to frown, and I could sense her mood changing.

"Hey, why don't you two go out back and enjoy the weather? I have this covered," I suggested. "You're supposed to be my guests, anyway."

"You sure?" Jenny questioned.

"Come on babes, he said he's good," Sheila grabbed Jenny's arm, and other beer, and dragged her off.

I puttered around for a few minutes, and when I had a moment to breathe, I craned to look through the living room out toward the back deck. I couldn't hear, but Jenny was shaking her head, and Sheila was gesticulating, rather animatedly. I had a pretty good idea of what it was about.

Finally, Sheila came back inside and headed for my refrigerator to grab another beer.

"Sheila, can I have a minute?" I turned and looked at her, as she straightened back up.

She gave me kind of a flat look and said, "Uhh, sure."

Glancing out back again, to make sure Jenny hadn't come inside yet, I said, "Look, Sheila, I know we had this talk before. But I just wanted to tell you again, we're just friends, Jenny and I."

She shifted and started to say something. I held up my hand to forestall her. "Look, I know you and I aren't that close. I'm sorry about that, actually. But if you couldn't already tell, making friends is not easy for me. And I get the same impression about Jenny. So, I tend to focus on the few that I have, rather than trying to make more, if that makes sense?" I paused, then continued. "But it's becoming clear that I've monopolized her time lately, and it's looking like the beginnings of an issue between you two. I don't want that to happen."

Sheila looked down. "Yeah, cool. You're right, she doesn't have very many friends, and at this point, you're probably her best friend besides me. I just get jealous about how she talks about the things you did together or talked about, or whatever. It's stupid."

Wow, I thought, maybe it was the alcohol, but that was more honesty than I expected. It was like that with her, though. Just when she was really starting to annoy me, she did something to make it hard to stay mad at her.

I nodded, though. "Whatever you want me to do, I'll do it. If you want me to mind my step, I'll mind it. I'm sorry for taking time away from you, and I don't want to be the cause of any friction between you."

It was her turn to nod. "I appreciate, that, dude." She hadn't confirmed that's what she wanted, but it was fairly obvious. And neither of us noticed Jenny, standing just out of sight, turn slowly around and head back to the patio, silently crying.

"Oh hell, the turkey!" I suddenly remembered.

Sheila laughed and asked for directions to the bathroom, while I pulled the slightly overdone bird from the oven and began assembling the rest of the meal. I wondered about Jenny but figured she'd be in when she was ready. And soon enough, she appeared. Her eyes were a little red; allergies, maybe?

Sheila had returned by then, so I didn't ask any questions, but Jenny avoided my gaze as much as possible. I shrugged and started handing out dishes to be piled on the countertops, or wherever we could find room on my tiny kitchen table.

When we were all seated, I raised my glass, and pronounced, "Lechyd Da!"

That was the high point of the meal. It quickly became awkward, as Jenny continued her silence, pushing her food around her plate. Which was very unusual for her, considering she was well past the halfway mark in her pregnancy.

I was struggling; grasping to find some way to carry the conversation when finally, she just looked at Sheila and said "Ieuan's right, you know. I don't make friends very easily. And now you want to take one of them away!" She started to cry again. "And what makes it worse, is you're making him think it's his idea!"

Sheila stared at her, wide-eyed.

"Yeah, I heard you talking. What the hell, Sheila? You make it sound like I'm with him every minute! We have lunch maybe twice a week, and dinner once a week. I invite you every time! I know you're busy, but it's not like I'm running around behind your back! I spend way more time alone in that apartment waiting for you than I do with him!" she spat. I had never seen her this angry, and frankly, never wanted to again.

Jenny glared at Sheila, waiting for a response. I quietly slipped behind her and took myself outside, grabbing the bottle of Glenfiddich on the way. The patio was certainly getting a workout this evening.

When I eventually poked my head back inside, they were gone.

><><><><><

The following week, we were again sitting in my office as I told Rogers the story. "I'm worried that I've lost her."

Rogers arched an eyebrow.

"As a friend, of course," I said.

"Of course," he said agreeably.

Shifting in his chair to lean forward, he continued. "I hear you, Ieuan. I've only met the girl a few times and I already think she's very special. Losing her friendship... yes, I can see how that would be devastating." He watched me.

"But... I think you need to give her this time to work it out for herself. If you ask me, she's confused about her feelings. Her friendship with you and her - well, whatever she feels - for Sheila. I can't speculate. I am fairly certain that she will reach out, but you have to let her come to you."

I nodded. "I'm trying to give her space, but it's been a week!"

"And it might take another week. Or longer. This is a big deal for her. I'm fairly certain that she hasn't had a lot of positive male influence in her life. Don't ask me why I feel that way, just an intuition."

"Hmm. That... does make sense. Okay, Rogers, I'll trust your instincts."

He stood to leave, and briefly gripped my shoulder. "Patience, my friend."

Despite Rogers' confidence, after almost two weeks, I thought I'd never hear from them... her... again, and I was devastated. Jenny had wormed her way into my heart, and to think she was gone that quickly really did a number on me. I moped around school, which was not good, as semester finals were looming. It took a heart-to-heart with the Dean of History to get me to focus enough to do my job. He was a good boss, and something of a friend, and I thanked him for the wake-up call.

><><><><><

December

It was right after a morning class when my cell phone pinged.

> It's me, can we talk?

My fingers were shaking a little bit, so I had to retype my reply twice.

> Name the place and the time and I'll be there.

> Lunch today at our usual?

> I'll be there, count on it.

><><><><><

I got there early and sat where I could see the door. I was starting to wonder if she would show, and I was debating whether to text her when she came in. It was a chilly day, so I wasn't sure if the redness in her eyes was from the wind, or something else.

I got up and helped her with her coat, and we sat down. We were silent for a few moments before she decided to speak. "I'm sorry I'm late, Ieuan. I know I was the one who asked to meet, but I wasn't... wasn't sure if you wanted to, and I was so scared of what you'd think of me after I acted so badly at your house! And then I just ghosted you..." A tear rolled down her cheek.

"I'll be honest. After a week, I was terrified that I was never going to see you again."

Her lip trembled at that, and she shook her head. "I'd never... I'm so sorry..." she cried.

I waved it away. "It's past. But as for what happened at the house? Please, you don't need to apologize for speaking your heart, and I'm certain that's what you did. I was so proud of you; so glad that you were fighting for our friendship. And I'm very glad you did text me earlier."

She looked up at me, with just the tiniest smile. "Really? I was sure you hated me."

"Never in life, cariad." Shit. I didn't mean to let that slip out.

I hurried on, "I'm sorry I didn't reach out either. But I was worried that anything I did would just upset Sheila even more, and like I told her, I don't want me, to become an issue between you. I just thought I was doing what was best for you, however much it nearly killed me to think I'd lost you. Your friendship."

Now it was my turn to swipe at my face. "When you were fighting, I wanted so badly to come over and hug you, but I knew it would just make things worse. So, I ran and hid. Hank did too, if it helps."

She snorted a laugh and hiccupped. Which made me laugh.

"Jenny dear, I'm just so..."

"Ieuan, stop. If you say sorry one more time, I'm going to give you such a smack!" she mock-glared.

I drew my thumb and forefinger across my lips.

She took a deep breath and continued. "Ok, you were scared that you'd messed Sheila and me up. I was scared that I'd messed you and me up. And Sheila was just being a dick. That about cover it?" She smirked a little.

I almost spit my water across the table.

"I'm just sorry it took me so long to realize it." Then, more sadly, "I'm sorry I made you think I didn't want to be your friend anymore."

I reached over to squeeze her hand, then said, "Same deal for you, fy merch... one more "sorry', and you're in trouble!"

Finally, I got the full Jenny smile. The one that's impossible not to return.

"We good?"

She nodded emphatically.

"Good. I'm glad." More than you can know.

We chatted and had lunch - I finally felt like I had an appetite for the first time since Thanksgiving - and then I brought up an issue that had been on my mind for a bit.

"Jenny, you know I'm leaving for Wales in about ten days to visit my sister?"

She looked at me blankly.

I scratched my head. "I'm sure I told you?"

She started to laugh. "Ieuan, you're too easy to tease, and I've missed doing it," she added warmly.

"You're cruel and heartless, Jenny Albright, and that's a fact," I said with feigned sadness.

"I must be cruel only to be kind," she shot back.

"You know your bard!"

"You sound surprised," she smirked.

"After hearing you and Rogers trade quotes, I really, really shouldn't be, but we're getting off track," I huffed.

She rolled her eyes.

"ANYWAY... I did have something to ask. I had planned to ask you at Thanksgiving, but for, umm, reasons, I didn't get the chance. Would you mind housesitting for me and taking care of Hank while I'm gone? Otherwise, I was going to have to board him, but he likes you, and it would be a huge favor to me. You can use my truck?" I offered hopefully.

I might have to go online to find a new clutch for my old Land Cruiser, but I had managed to teach Jenny enough to maneuver her way around town. Dad had given me the truck when I left Seattle. Somewhere along the line, he had replaced the original engine with a slightly more powerful turbo-diesel, and so far, it had never let me down. But teaching Jenny to drive a manual? Let's just say that the old gearbox made a few unusual sounds during our lessons. But just a few. She did very well. However... recently she had begun to eye the Satellite with a predatory gleam. I reckoned I'd better hide the keys.

"You'd trust me?"

"Jenny. More than anyone else."

She blushed. "It would be my pleasure to look after Hank for you."

"Are you sure this won't get you into hot water with Sheila?"

"Nope. After you... left..." she smiled, "We went home in dead silence, and Sheila kinda passed out. I think she had a whole 6-pack at your house, plus a few more before we left. But the next morning, I told her in no uncertain terms that you were my friend and would stay my friend. She was sobered up and realized how she behaved. I think she's sorry, but you know how she is."

I nodded, pleased that Jenny was standing up for herself. Selfishly pleased for why she was standing up.

"Thank you. I'd have been heartbroken to lose you. Your friendship. You know what I mean," I stammered.

><><><><><

Chapter 5

Christmas

The KLM flight to Wales was interminable. Fortunately, I was able to get an overnight from Dulles, with a two-hour layover in Amsterdam, then on to Cardiff.

I grabbed my bags and was heading toward the pickup area when a four-foot-tall dervish crashed into me and wrapped her arms around my waist.

"Uncle Yaya, you're here!" Of course, it was my niece, Linnet.

I scooped her up like she was a toddler. She might be eleven now, but she was still a tiny thing.

She tucked her head under my chin, and I kissed the top of her head. Shifting to Welsh felt... strangely comfortable. I said, "I've missed you, my girl! Look how big you've gotten!"

I looked around and my gaze settled on a taller, older version of Linnet. She was smiling fondly. Still carrying my niece, I walked over and pulled her into a three-way embrace.

"I've missed you too," I smiled.

"Welcome home, Ieuan," she said softly. She pulled back and kissed me on the cheek. "Now come on, let's get you out of here. Fancy something to eat?"

"Yes, please. I've been on airplanes or in airport lounges for what feels like a fortnight."

I set Linnet down so I could grab my bags, but she clutched my hand in both of hers and wouldn't let go. Beca laughed and grabbed my other bag.

We loaded up in her little SUV and began the hour-long drive back to Swansea.

I stared out the window as we drove, Linnet chattering happily from the back seat.

"Everything ok?" Beca glanced at me as she drove.

I let out a breath. "Ohh... just adjusting, I guess? It's strange. Familiar, but new, at the same time. Not bad, just... different. I'll be fine." I held out my hand, and she gripped it.

"I'm really glad to be here," I smiled, looking at her and Linnet.

><><><><><

We spent the next few days just getting reacquainted with each other, and the place where I'd spent the first 14 years of my life. Linnet showed me some of her favorite rambles and enchanted me all over again. She was 11 going on 30, and a treasure. For the umpteenth time, I wished they didn't live so far away.

Beca and Arthur took me around to some of their favorite haunts. And I went out a few times on my own. One evening, a few days before Christmas, Beca and Linnet informed me that they had some things to do, and I would be left to my own devices for the evening. So, I headed out to a local pub. I was sitting at the bar, enjoying a pint of Watkin's Cwrw Hâf when I heard someone call my name. Quite loudly, I might add.

1...34567...15