Holly Jones is Rescued

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What's he like?"

"No flies on you mom. He's a widower, aged thirty-six, blond with broad shoulders. Very athletic, a great smile and still a little lost still because his wife died only five months ago. But he's honest, intelligent and can be very tender and loves the great outdoors. I'm calling from Ross, which Blair said is twenty minutes' drive southeast of Hokitika. He has a cabin up in the foothills to the Southern Alps."

"Yes I know Ross. You are in rainy territory."

"Don't I know it!"

"What does Blair do?"

"He's a doctor."

"Oh, that's nice. In a hospital or private practice?"

"Private."

"What kind of practice?"

"Ah mom I better go, someone wants the phone. Give my love to everyone. We'll be in Christchurch last next week so we'll talk again then. Bye."

* * *

The next Friday morning they were packed up and were ready to leave for Christchurch.

"You drive."

"Okay, down to the cutting."

Holly found the Holden ute easy to drive, with plenty of power. She stopped at the entrance to the gorge.

Blair said quietly, "I want you to drive on and take Ida through the cutting. Drive as slowly as you wish. It's time to face your fear and conquer it."

"Okay, are you ready to die?"

"I sometimes think of that when we are dealing with invasive cancer in a breast."

"Oh god, this is nothing," Holly said and went through the cutting only a little slower than he driven her through it.

"Nothing to it!" she said excitedly at the exit and speeded up and demonstrated her proficiency at driving a vehicle moderately fast on an unsealed track. They reached the sealed highway and she only handed over the wheel when they stopped at Hokitika for coffee before turning inland to go through the Southern Alps via Arthur's pass to Christchurch, under three and a half hours away.

CHAPTER 3

On the fairly straight drive across the Canterbury Plains to Christchurch, now in view, Blair asked, "How long do you think it will take before I can send my book off?"

"Well we ended up making fantastic progress and you have only two chapters left to write. I suggest I pick up my laptop from grandma's and we connect our computers and while you are at work I can begin to proof read and lightly edit, these changes being made to the only copy of the manuscript, apart from backup copies. That way we will not have copies all over the place."

"That's fine by me."

"Well in that case I'd think if you can work three hours a night for four or five nights a week you could be sending off your manuscript in about three weeks. What will be our title?"

"Rebecca."

"Sorry, no top-line publisher will accept that. Daphne Du Maurier beat you to that title. You need more words with that name."

"Perhaps I should drop that name?"

"It's your decision."

Blair said, "What name would you chose? Come on, no ducking and diving."

"Well I haven't said this Blair but the book has definite commercial possibilities -- by that I mean potential big sales given the right promotion aimed at the right market. Now don't be offended but that market is sentimental women readers."

"That doesn't offend me. It suggests they are readers who care."

"Exactly. Good boy. It will depend how you finish -- I've only read your outlines for those two final chapters. But if you can maintain lifting the pace to a big finish I'd think of a title like 'Oh So Close to Perfection' or 'An Angel with Blemishes or Just So Incredible'."

"I like that last one, but what about 'Just so Beautiful'?"

"Yes, even better -- it can mean both looks and spirit and your heroine has both. In that penultimate chapter you need something dramatic to occur -- I suggest a near-death experience like being thrown off their motor yacht in the dark or being in her town car and being rammed by a drunken truck driver with her small vehicle being crushed under the front wheels of the truck...there is silence and then people gathering around hear her cry, "Can someone please help me" The final chapter is all about resolution, tying everything together and revealing their future pathway together. If you can establish strong commitment you could drop the wedding. In my experience male writers seem to mock the wedding ceremony or want to turn it into a comedy or a disaster."

"You mean they don't feel the sense of occasional, perhaps even the sanctity of the occasion?"

"Well if they do they invariably don't wish to admit it to their readers."

"Well you could have them commit to buying an apartment or a house together."

"I'd thought of that."

Holly spoke very gently. "Was Rebecca pregnant when she died?" She watched his grip on the wheel tighten, skin over finger joints turning whiter."

"Yes, eight weeks."

"That's so sad, a double tragedy. And you don't want to make your heroine pregnant. It's a great ending for the type of readership this books aiming at."

Blair squirmed in his seat and didn't reply.

"But you're thought about it?"

"Christ Holly, how do you know these things?"

"You are not a difficult person to read Blair and there's a bit of intuition thrown in. This is something to think about Blair, it could help to make the perfect ending. You have been through that experience so will know how to express the way they think and feel. Just think about it. Also think about re-titling to 'Just so Adorable'."

"That's it, that's so perfect!" he breathed.

Holly asked him to pull over to allow her to take the wheel.

He stopped the vehicle and kissed her and asked why?

"Because I have a little job for you. I want you to call your mother and your mother-in-law to say you will be home within the hour accompanied by a woman who will be staying with you."

"But why -- they will find out when they call?"

"Yes, for sure. But imagine the shock. By doing it this way they will be forewarned and on their best behavior at least initially and that gives me the chance to deliver a good impression because they will be holding back to allow me to do that."

"Are you sure?"

"Very sure."

"God, it's so ritualistic."

"Well now you know something new about women Mr Writer."

As Holly turned into the driveway of Blair's lovely looking cream brick and red tiled home with spring flowers everywhere and two ornamental cherry trees nearing the end of blossoming, Blair said, "Uh, uh" and Holly noticed a car parked in front of one of the sets of garage doors, leaving her heading towards the door nearest the house. An attractive gray-haired woman come out and stared at them before waving.

"That's mom. She's headed around quickly to find out why I've been sleeping with another woman so soon after you know what."

"Do you mind she might be thinking that?"

"No, she's a mature woman. We all know they become conservative and defensive."

"No, I didn't know that but on reflection you probably are correct."

"Women think men are not brainy."

"Well if you hang out with brainy women you're likely to find out why."

A woman appeared at Holly's window. She powered the window down and said cheerfully, "Hi Mrs Andrews."

"My god, an American. Whatever next?"

"I'm a very appealing America Mrs Andrews, quite suitable to associate with Blair I'm sure."

Holly could hear Blair beside her, mostly hidden from his mom, chocking back laughter.

"Never has Blair allowed himself to be driven by anyone except when dangerously drunk."

"He's sober Mrs Andrews. I kissed him a little ways back and can vouch I smelt no liquor."

"A little ways back? Oh dear, what kind of English is that?"

"It was just a playful jibe Mrs Andrews in case you found nothing else unacceptable about me. You than have that to fall back on."

Blair growled, "Steady."

Holly opened her door and stepped out. She was wearing a tramping shirt and shorts and sneakers and towered above Mrs Andrews who looked up and said, "You're as tall at Blair."

"Yes, and I hope I'm just as lovely as he is."

"You think he's lovely?"

"Oooh yes. He probably saved my life. I came down from the tops, soaked, tired and hungry and crashed on to the road in driving rain and fell asleep. It was near sleet, and I was exhausted. I might not have made it through the night and then your heroic son came along. We were six miles from the turnoff to the cabin and... "

"Six miles" You were in the middle of nowhere. Where was your companion?"

"Well your son asked me that same question. 'Where's your mate? Or are you a stupid Yank walking the tops out here alone?'

Mrs Andrews sniffed. "Well he had every right to admonish you but not to call you stupid."

"I'd be the first to agree with that Mrs Andrews," Holly said, turning to poke out her tongue at Blair who was lifting her pack and his two bags from under the cover of the cargo box.

"Hello Blair."

"Hi Mom."

"You are very tall and very beautiful," Mrs Andrews said, focusing on Holly again.

"So they say. You hair looks lovely. You've just had it done."

"Thank you. Yes this morning."

"I'm not sure I've seen that color before. It looks lovely."

"Yes, I'm pleased with it. It's called copper bronze."

"Ah yes, I've seen that color advertised in high fashion magazines."

"Really," Mrs Andrews said touching her hair. "Come inside dear and I'll make us a nice pot of tea. Or would you prefer coffee""

"Er, I can drink tea."

"But you much prefer coffee."

"Well yes, and thank you for pressing the question."

Mrs Andrews smiled and said Holly was a very polite girl. It was the opportunity Holly wanted, to insert it naturally.

"I have to thank my mother for that. Oh, she was born not far from here."

"Oh my goodness, where?"

"Merivale. My grandparents still live in the same house."

"Well fancy that. What are their names, I might know of them?"

"Thomas and Irene Boswell."

"Ohmigod, know them. In fact I know Irene very well. She is our church treasurer. And yes she said she has a son who lives in Southampton in England and a daughter who lives in Springfield, Illinois."

"You do know her well and have a sharp memory. Yes, mom and dad live in Springfield which is dad's hometown."

Blair came in and said Kate would be arriving soon but they'd not wait to have afternoon tea because Kate was never on time.

"Is Kate Rebecca's mom?"

Blair and his mom said yes together.

"Blair and I have spoken extensively about Rebecca. I feel I know her and need to see a photo of her to put my mind at rest."

"Fetch the photo taken late last year Blair."

"I should clear the remaining signs of Rebecca; it's not fair on you," Blair said, handing Holly the photo.

"You are not to do that on my account Blair. This was also Rebecca's house and after what you have told me in recent days I am honored to share her house."

Blair simply shrugged but Mrs Andrews looked at Holly as if Holly had just said something amazing.

"You have exceeded my expectation ten-fold young woman."

"What a lovely thing to say Mrs Andrews. Thank you."

"My dear, just a wee something I should say in case Blair hasn't told you, to avoid you putting your foot in it. Kate was terrible upset over the death of her daughter. They were returning from an art show in Timaru and were almost home when they were in collusion with another vehicle and we shunted into a street pole. Rebecca was killed instantly and her mother only received bruising and a facial cut. Kate was driving but was not responsible for the accident. The other driver went through a red light. But understandably Kate has blamed herself for her daughter's death.

"Oh how horrible for her."

The front door bell went and Mrs Andrews was away sometime before leading Kate Rogers into the room. Kate obviously had been briefed. She kissed Blair and turning said, "Hello, call me Kate. I understand you are Irene Boswell's granddaughter?"

"Yes, I am pleased to meet you Kate. May I apologize in advance if you feel my presence here is an intrusion? Sometimes these things happen and that's all I can say."

The woman appeared to be about fifty and was dressed in a pinstriped business trouser suit with her brown hair pulled back in a French roll eyed Molly quizzically.

"Yes I am upset there is a new woman in Blair's live so soon after his bereavement but his actions are none of my business."

"But you have feelings and I respect that."

"Well you could walk away?"

"And be replaced by someone else? Yes I could but that's not my style. I may not have survived the night on the day Blair found me and rescued me. Something is happening between us and that's all I wish to say, except, "What would Rebecca have done if her and my situations were reversed?"

"She would have stood like you are, attempting to stare me down, head held high like yours, wordlessly telling me to butt out."

"I mean no disrespect."

"You have shown none and I am impressed. Angela said I would find you awesome."

"Kate, Holly has quizzed me for hours about Rebecca until she now knows her perhaps even better that Rebecca's friends did. Holly has then converted that into editing my book after encouraging me to re-write it extensively and now there are only two chapters to go. Because of Holly, I feel the book now lives and is flying. I had unconsciously placed my heroine who is based on Rebecca on a pedestal, although when Holly came along I was beginning to suspect she was just too perfect to be authentic."

"Are you a writer Holly?"

"I've had two books of short stories published plus my thesis and a cluster of professional papers."

"Professional papers?"

"Kate, Holly has a PhD and teaches an introduction to English Literature and takes First Year Writing Courses at her University in Chicago from where she has just resigned."

"So you want me to give her a job."

Blair said no. "In fact I have not told her you have a senior position in the English Department here at our university."

"Why not?"

'Yes, why not?" asked his mother.

"I really don't know."

Holly broke the silence. "Ladies, you know males have a tendency not to tell women things that would really interest them."

Kate smiled, Mrs Andrews laughed and then they all were laughing.

When Kate and Mrs Andrews left together, Blair and Holly standing in the driveway almost touching and waving, Holly said, "Thank you for not putting your arm around me."

"I though it would be insensitive and knew you would think that."

"Good boy."

After the final wave he looked at his watch. "Come on, they are just starting drinks at the clinic. I want to introduce you to everyone."

"I have nothing to wear. My things are at grandma's."

"Our rooms are upstairs in the mall. I'll buy you a dress; it's time I brought you a dress."

"A little black dress I suppose?"

He looked surprised and asked how did she know.

"I try to imagine how men think. It helps me in tutoring males."

At the mall they took Holly's shirt and shorts and sneakers to the ute. She was wearing a short blue lace dress with a high neck and new blue shoes.

"You have gorgeous legs."

Two women in the lift (elevator) with them smiled and looked down at Holly's legs.

"That's a new one. You are always commenting about my tits."

The women looked at one another, momentarily shocked, and then began tittering.

Blair unlocked the door into the clinic and led Holly to the staff room at the back.

"Blair!" someone called, spotting him, and other called out including a guy Blair's age who called, "Welcome back buddy."

There was silence as Blair drew Holly beside him. "Everyone, this is my pal Holly Jones from America who teaches English literature at a university. I found Holly after she fell off a mountain and she's stuck with me and been very loving and a great buddy."

"Hi Holly," several people called. A chubby woman still in a nurse's uniform eyed Holly's bust and said, "Great augmentation."

People laughed sensitively, holding back.

Blair picking up a beer and handing Holly a glass of wine said, "One hundred percent natural, the best I've ever handled."

Holly was greeted with shouts of "Yes please" when she asked would they like to see them, and they loved her when she snarled, "Go to hell."

The guy with black short-cut hair Holly had noticed when entering later came up to her and introducing himself as Paul Miles said, "Has Blair told you about Rebecca?"

"Yes."

"The three of us were great pals all through high school. Blair and I went to Dunedin to do medicine and Rebecca introduced me to Alice, now my wife, whom she met when she began doing a junior lectureship. She's American, from Wisconsin. I was best man at Blair and Rebecca's wedding and Alice was chief bridesmaid."

"Well you both must have happy memories of her. I have no intention of attempting to erase her Paul, so please remember than and perhaps you could tell Alice that. I guess I will be seeing you two socially?"

"You will indeed. As early as tomorrow night -- a few minutes ago I invited Blair to dinner and he accepted, being invited to bring you along of course. The first thing Alice will ask..."

"Springfield, Illinois. I have been in the English department at a university in Chicago for three years."

"How old...?"

"Thirty-three."

"How did you...?"

"It was logically your next question. You look too intelligent to ask, "How do I like New Zealand?"

Paul colored. "That was to be my next question."

They laughed and he said admiringly, "Not only are you beautiful and tall, but you are also cool. The timing of your entry into Blair's life is perfect. The lucky bastard. My initial impression is you are even more impressive than Rebecca."

"Paul, thank you for that flattering comment but please forget you ever made it. I have no wish to dislodge Rebecca from the place she has in the minds of you all. I have been assisting Blair with his book, editing and making suggestion, and talked to him for hours about Rebecca. It's possible I now know her as well as many of her friends did but not those closest to her of course. I have immense respect for her."

"Jesus."

"Blair is comfortable about having me around and I believe because of the way we came together he doesn't even regard my position on Rebecca as being radical or anything unusual. Tell me, is Alice sexy?"

Paul grinned and said, "Oh yeah?"

Holly laughed and said she only asked that to change the subject because she felt they were becoming too engrossed in the past.

CHAPTER 4

Nine days into the final editing of Blair's novel, with the final chapters completed, Holly took a call from Rebecca's mother Kate.

"You will be aware I have kept away to allow you to settle in."

"Thank you Kate, that was very thoughtful. Blair has told me he sees you occasionally and had lunch with you on Friday."

"Yes, well I do like that boy and his mother and I remain firm friends. Will you lunch with me today? I know it's very short notice but something's come up."

"Yes of course. Where will I meet you?"

"At the university."

The cab took Holly to the place at the university where Kate said to meet. Kate was already there and kissed Holly and said, "Rebecca gained her masters in art history here and it was also my university. At the time of her death Rebecca was head of research at the School of Fine Arts."

"In the book she is assistant head of geography but I only discovered she actually attended university here when Paul Miles told me but even he didn't say she worked here."

"Mere detail love; gradually the gaps will fill. I'm more comfortable at talking about Rebecca now... would you care to come and stay with me this weekend?"

"Yes, I'd like that."

"Well come, we must eat."

As they took their trays and walked to a table where three people sat, all on one side, Kate stopped and said, "Dear I must warn you..."