Honey B

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sheila knew, that as a doctor of psychology, she could testify to Honey's mental state, and if they did need a lawyer, Adam's was as good as any in the area. They hoped it wouldn't come to that.

A couple of weeks went by. The three had gotten into a routine that varied little. Adam handled his business mostly from home anyway, so spent most days in his office. He would occasionally go to town and work from there, or go visit a client. He kept his overnight trips to a minimum. Honey had John Baker's remains cremated, and the ashes scattered in the area of the cemetery set aside for that purpose. Only the undertaker was there, no one else.

Sheila continued to work with Honey. They'd have a counselling session in the morning then go for a walk around the property somewhere, always accompanied by Teddy. After lunch and a short rest, there would be another session. Now that the fear of John Baker was eliminated, Honey responded well and quickly to treatment.

Sheila would hate to leave, but knew she had to get back to her own home. She missed Jack and her kids. Telephone and Skype didn't substitute for actually being there. They understood why she had to be here, but it was time to go. Adam offered to pay her air fare, but Sheila preferred to drive. It would only take her about three days.

Tears were freely flowing as Sheila took her leave. She promised Honey that she would be available if needed for the expected interviews. Adam made it plain that if she had to come back, she would fly and he would be paying; no argument.

She hugged Honey and whispered, "Take care of my baby brother. He really cares for you, and I know you care for him. Let nature take its course." Honey hugged her back without saying anything. The look on her face was enough.

Adam walked her out to her car. "Is there anything along the lines of what you were doing that I can help Honey with?"

"No, I think I've done most of what I can do. The rest is up to her. She can call me anytime if she has questions. It's just a matter of her doing the work we talked about."

"Okay, Sis, I'll take your word for it. I don't know if I can ever repay you for this, you know. You went above and beyond, way above." Adam opened the car door for her and gave her a big hug.

"Just look after Honey, and yourself. She cares for you, you know. Really, really cares for you. Just be good to her." Sheila returned the hug, got into her car and drove off, hardly able to see the road through her tears.

Chapter 8

Not long after Sheila left, Honey was asked to come into town for interviews, first with the special prosecutor and then with the administrator assigned to straightening out the whole mess Baker had left behind. Adam assured her he would stay with her, and if they wouldn't let him, he'd get his lawyer to sit in.

The interviews went easier than expected. The prosecutor was able to determine, quite quickly, that Honey knew nothing of John Baker's business affairs. He had deposited enough in a joint chequing account to pay for household expenses. Her monthly allowance, or whatever she needed to spend, came out of that. She had only attended a few functions with her husband. Most of the time he was accompanied by his secretary at the time or some other woman he conned into being with him. Yes, she knew about his affairs, and yes he beat her. She had just began to learn over the past few weeks working with Sheila that there was something she could have done, but she certainly didn't know it at the time. The interview ended with the assurances that Honey would be out at Adam's property for the time being. She felt safe out there.

The interview with the administrator went much the same way. He hadn't been able to discover what had happened to all the money Baker had stolen. He'd traced it to a bank in the Cayman Islands, but that account had been closed and the money moved. The bank had no knowledge of where the missing money had been deposited, and Baker certainly wasn't able to tell them.

He readily acknowledged that Honey had no knowledge whatsoever of her late husband's business affairs, and certainly hadn't profited from them. He advised that the house had been over-mortgaged and the bank was in the process of foreclosing. If she wanted, Honey could talk to the bank about getting anything she needed out of the house. Since she and Sheila had taken everything that Honey wanted at the time, there was nothing left there that had any interest for her. The bank could have the house and all the contents. He thanked Honey for coming in and said that as far as he was concerned, she was in the clear and probably need not be interviewed again.

As Adam and Honey left the office, Adam picked up the administrator's business card. Good, it had his business email on it.

"So, Honey. What about getting some lunch now that you're a free woman?" Adam laughed.

"I'd love some, but first can we go to the bank? I want to get an account in my own name. I don't know if there's anything left in that joint account, but if there is I want to move it." For the first time in a long, long time, Honey sounded assertive.

"Okay, let's just walk. It's only a few blocks." Honey took his arm and together they walked down to the bank. They were able to get in to see the manager right away and get her to assist Honey. Since she was the sole beneficiary, there wasn't really any problem. The necessary papers had already been provided to the bank. There was one question, however. What about the safe deposit box?"

Honey had no idea what the manager was talking about. She didn't know about any safe deposit box, and was certain she'd never seen a key for one. Perhaps it was in the safe in her husband's office at the house.

The manager advised that the safe was found open and empty when the police began their investigation into his death. The keys couldn't be located in the house or in Baker's downtown office, either. The box would have to be drilled, and no, Honey didn't need to be there for that. They would advise her when it had been done. Any contents would be kept in safekeeping until she could claim them.

Satisfied that their business with the bank was finished, Honey and Adam walked up the street to a small family owned diner to get some lunch.

They settled into a booth, and after giving their orders to the young server Honey said, "you know, Adam, this whole thing seems so surreal. It's almost as if it's a dream that I'm involved in. I don't know what I would have done if it wasn't for you and Sheila. I don't think I would have survived it."

Adam thought for a minute before answering, "Look, you getting well is all the thanks I really need or want. Baker was a liar, a thief, and a bully. I didn't know you from, well, Eve, since I'm Adam, but I hate, absolutely loath people like him. I wanted to ruin him in the worst way, but I didn't want him dead. I wanted him to suffer, for a long, long time. Like most bullies, he turned out to be a coward in the end."

"But you, you and Sheila. You've done so much. I don't think I can ever repay you, either of you," Honey replied. "You've both done so much."

"Well, I don't think I've done all that much unless giving you a place to live until you get straightened out counts. You needed help, simple as that."

Honey wasn't convinced, but let it drop. "Okay, but I'm buying lunch. As you know the bank let me have all the money in the chequing account, nearly five thousand dollars. At least I can buy lunch. Then I guess I should start looking for an apartment."

"Okay, you buy lunch. As for the apartment, I said you could stay with me as long as you needed or wanted to."

"Yes, but now I have some money I don't want to be a burden anymore."

"Five thousand won't get you far," Adam said, flatly, "that's maybe a few months rent and some groceries. Look, you're not a burden. Why not worry about accommodations after we're sure the dust has settled. I'm fairly certain that as far as you're concerned it's all over, but until you have it in writing you never know."

"I suppose you're right. He might have pulled a fast one on me that I don't know about yet," Honey replied, resigned to making the best of what could be a bad situation. And, she didn't really want to leave Adam's place. She felt safe and comfortable, and she was liking this gentle giant more and more each day.

That night Adam sent an email to the administrator, using his untraceable account. In it he gave the account access information and the approximate total on deposit in the account he had set up when taking (he didn't think of it as stealing) the money from Baker. The administrator might suspect who had sent the email, but he really didn't have the resources to confirm it. At least the investors would get something back; not much, but something. The second account he had opened for Honey was, of course, not mentioned at all.

Days went by. Adam was busy with his consulting business. Honey had basically taken over the household chores, telling Adam in no uncertain terms that if she was staying there, she was contributing. After arguing about it for a few minutes, Adam resigned himself. When Honey mentioned bringing in the big gun, aka his sister Sheila, he admitted defeat.

A few days after they had been in the bank the manager called to advise that the safety deposit box had been opened and Honey should come in and review the contents. Adam took her to the bank that afternoon where the manager handed her a couple of large envelopes full of documents. She didn't even know what they represented and asked both the manager and Adam. They looked like investment certificates of some kind. The 3 of them decided that the administrator of Baker's affairs should deal with them and arrangements were made for the bank to get the documents to him.

It was nearly two weeks after Adam had taken Honey into town when he found he'd have to take an overnight trip, and it might extend into two nights. Even with Teddy around, Honey didn't feel comfortable being in the big house all by herself. She and Adam talked it over, and it was decided that she'd come with him and sort of make a mini vacation out of it. He had already booked his favourite resort, one that allowed animals since Teddy was part of the team and would keep Honey company during the day while Adam was working.

The packed up their gear and, with Teddy curled up on a blanket in the back of the truck, headed off to Maryville, a drive that would normally take the better part of five hours. It would be the first time Honey had been away from Melville for any length of time since she and John had moved there, and her first time ever in Maryville. She was excited and looking forward to it, something she hadn't experienced in a long time. They chatted away as the miles rolled behind them. They made a couple of rest stops, for themselves and Teddy, or when Adam would point out something of interest along the way.

They arrived in the early afternoon. Adam tried to arrange a second, attached unit to his motel suite only to find that everything was booked up in town due to some kind of festival. The only reason he'd been able to get a unit at short notice was because he was a good, well established customer. He and Honey would just have to share.

Adam opened the door to the unit. It was well furnished and had a separate bedroom with a queen sized bed and all the usual furnishings. The sitting room had a work desk with internet connections as well as the entertainment centre, a sofa, easy chair and assorted coffee and side tables.

"Honey, you take the bedroom. I can sleep on the sofa, it pulls out into a bed as well," said Adam as they began to get settled in.

"Adam, I can't do that. You take the bed and I'll take the sofa. It's only right."

"Well, that doesn't make any sense. Since I'll be getting up and leaving to work, I'd only disturb you getting ready, making coffee, 'n stuff. You take the bed." Honey gave a small smile and admitted defeat. She would have the bed, Adam the sofa. Teddy would have his usual spot on the floor near the door.

That settled they relaxed until dinner. Neither wanted anything fancy and found that the restaurant attached to the resort would be more than adequate. After dinner they went for a walk, Teddy running ahead and exploring old territory since he'd been there many times. Honey was thoroughly enjoying just being with this gentle giant, her knight in shining armour, as she put it. She was very attracted to him and becoming more so every day. Her problem was that she didn't know if the attraction was mutual.

Adam was having similar thoughts. He was falling in love with this beautiful, troubled woman. He valued her friendship and companionship and didn't want to do anything to jeopardize that. He knew she had feeling for him, Sheila had told him, but wasn't sure if it was for him, or a feeling of obligation for what he had done for her. He really, really hoped it wasn't the latter.

Eventually they returned to the resort and settled in for the evening. Adam wouldn't normally bother with the TV, but felt that maybe Honey would want to watch a movie. He settled on a movie he'd heard about but never seen.

"Adam, I'm going to change. Is there anything in the fridge to drink?" she asked.

"I don't know. Usually there's some half bottles of wine or soft drinks. I'll check," Adam opened the small fridge. "We have Coke, white wine, red wine or water," he called out.

"Could I have some white wine, please?" she replied. "I'll be right out."

Adam poured two glasses of the Pinot Gris and settled onto the sofa. Honey joined him moments later, dressed in her PJ's, a housecoat and fuzzy pink bunny slippers. Adam hadn't seen those before, she never wore them in the house, and burst out laughing.

"I've never seen those on a grown woman," he continued laughing so hard that he had to put the drinks down.

She settled beside him on the sofa and punched his arm, giggling, "You leave my pink bunnies alone. They're warm and comfortable and I like them."

Still laughing, Adam handed her a glass of wine. "To friends," he raised his glass to clink the rim of hers.

"To friends and to guardian angels. I don't think I'll ever forget you or Sheila," she replied.

Adam didn't say anything, just gave her a long, considering look and settled back onto the sofa. Honey snuggled up beside him, tucking her feet underneath her in the way that only women seem to be able. She snuggled closer to him, rested her head against his shoulder and sighed contentedly. For the first time in a long time she felt almost happy.

"Adam, why haven't you tried to kiss me?" she asked. "Don't you like me? Aren't I attractive enough?"

Adam, caught by surprise by the question thought for a few seconds before answering, "I've been attracted to you since that first day down by the creek when I caught you trespassing. I value your friendship and love having you in the house with us, me and Teddy. I didn't and don't want to jeopardize that." He took a sip of wine and continued, "I know you're in some way attracted to me, Sheila told me. But I hope it's not because of what I did, getting you away from Baker. I hope it's just for me being me. But I don't know."

She really hadn't thought of that. While she appreciated everything that had been done for her, the thought of her feelings for him being as a result of some sense of obligation hadn't really occurred to her. "Adam, I hadn't thought of it that way. I like, I think I'm falling in love with you, not what you did for me. You're one of the kindest, most unpretentious men I've ever met." She reached up and pulled his head down to her for a kiss. "I've been dreading the day when I have to leave. It's more of a home than I think I've ever had."

"I told you from the get go, you can stay as long as you need, or until you want to leave. Your call. And I meant it, every word." He gently kissed her back. "You went through a really bad time. I didn't want to rush anything, but I don't want you to leave either, until you want to. Am I making sense to you? I'm not sure I am to me."

Honey slowly pulled away from him and sat her wine glass on the side table, then launched herself into his arms. "You thickhead. For a smart guy you can be pretty dumb sometimes. I just told you, I didn't want to leave, that I was dreading the day I would have to." She wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. He had to put his wine down, and then wrapped his arms around her. They stayed that way for sometime not moving or talking.

Adam broke the silence, "Does that mean you're staying on the sofa with me tonight?" She couldn't see that he was grinning.

Honey giggled, "Well, I could, but wouldn't it be better if we shared the bed. I'm sure it's more comfortable. She gave him a long, lingering kiss. "Definitely, sharing the bed is the way to go. Adam, I'm not sure about making love, but I just want to be held, held by you while we sleep. Can we do that?"

"Of course, sweetheart. I promise. No pressure. But, I'd better change into something other than my jeans." He released her and stood up. I'll just be a couple of minutes."

"I'll be waiting for you, in bed. Hurry."

Adam changed to his normal sleepwear, sweats and t-shirt and joined Honey in the bedroom. "Which side?"

"Which what?"

"Which side? What side of the bed do you prefer?"

"Um, left I guess. Yes, left," nobody had ever asked her that before.

"Good, you get left. Now shove over, you're hogging my side of the bed," Adam laughed as he pulled the covers back and climbed into the bed. "I hope you're not wearing your fuzzy bunnies."

She giggled, not saying a word. She turned her back to him and moved back until they were spooned together. He wasn't sure what to do with his free arm until she took his hand in hers and pulled it around her. Contentedly, she sighed. "Why did this take so long?"

"I guess we're both a bit gun-shy," he said quietly. "We've both been too hurt, too often. No more."

"For sure, no more." Honey drifted off to sleep, held securely in the arms of the man she had come to love.

Morning came too early. Adam woke up to find that during the night they had reversed positions and his back was to Honey and she was holding onto him. Gently he removed her arm so he could get up. He didn't want to, but he did have to do some work. He put the coffee and showered and shaved while it was brewing. Honey slept on, a small smile on her face, gently snoring.

He drank his coffee and got his equipment together. He was meeting with his customer for breakfast, a normal routine. He quietly went into the bedroom and kissed Honey, "See you later, sweetheart. One of us has to go to work."

She reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a long, lingering kiss. "That's better. That'll have to do us 'til later."

Reluctantly he left her to go back to sleep and went to work.

Chapter 9

The next night was a repeat of the first, just snuggling together to sleep. Adam knew that Honey was hesitant and was content to let her call the shots. The fact they had gotten this far was more than he had hoped for. Making love would come when she was ready; he could wait.

The morning of the third day away from home, they woke up early. Adam wanted to get back home as soon as possible. Honey didn't really care one way or the other, as long as she was with Adam. Teddy, of course, didn't care too much either. As long as he was with his people he was good. They didn't dawdle on the way home, and made it in just less than five hours.

Over a quick coffee after they had arrived home, Adam explained that he had to go into the office for a couple of hours to finish what he had been working on. What he didn't tell Honey was that he was going to check with the prosecutor and the administrator to make sure Honey was, indeed, in the clear and no action was pending against her. He didn't want that hanging over her head.