House of Cards Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ohio
ohio
4,444 Followers

I closed the office door and looked at Marianne, who was standing in front of my desk still breathing hard from her sprint down the hall. She looked fantastic. She also looked terrible. She was the same beautiful woman, with the terrific figure that looked good in virtually any outfit. And she had clearly chosen one of her most flattering summer skirts, with a sleeveless top that showed off her arms and a bit of her cleavage.

On the other hand her face was lined and drawn. She was pale, and had big circles under her eyes. (I suppose I probably did too.) It was easy to imagine her, alone at home, wondering whether and when she would see me again, driving herself crazy with guilt and self-reproach. Good! I thought. That's what she should be doing!

"Marianne," I said calmly, "you shouldn't have come. I don't want to see you or talk to you right now."

"Tom, how long are you going to make me wait?" She was very anxious, even a little frantic. "I sit at home going over it and over it. I know you're angry, but I'm suffering too. Please, please won't you listen to me? Can't we try to move forward and get past this?"

"Well, no, Marianne, actually not yet. I don't know when I'll be ready, but I'm not ready now; and I have no idea if I will ever 'get past this', as you so gracefully put it. Please leave my office." Part of me almost couldn't bear to be so cold to her, but the rest of me was eager to hurt her. I felt I had more than enough reason to be a bastard!

Marianne sat down in a chair, a determined look on her face. "Tom, I am not leaving this office until you agree to talk to me. You'll have to call the police. And as they drag me out I'll tell everyone you work with how my husband has left me, won't speak to me, and won't even tell me where he's gone!" She began to sob, putting her head in her hands, her shoulders shaking.

I watched her silently for a moment, torn between the urge to comfort her and the desire for her to continue to be miserable. Finally I grabbed the tissue box and handed it gently to her.

"Marianne, let's make a compromise. It's the middle of my work-day. If you'll agree to leave now, I'll agree to come by the house tonight, and we can talk."

She looked up with a hopeful expression. "That's great, sweetheart. Why don't you come for dinner? I can make the..."

"No, Marianne. Not for dinner—this is not a date, and it's not a romantic evening at home together. I'm agreeing to give you a chance to say to me the things that are on your mind."

She looked as hurt as if I'd slapped her. She looked down at her lap, and said quietly, "All right. 8 o'clock?"

"Eight o'clock," I replied. "I'll see you then."

ohio
ohio
4,444 Followers
12