All Comments on 'How I Could Enjoy Literotica'

by diggypop

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Most important

Put the damn thing in the right category !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

traci_eliottraci_eliotover 13 years ago
A useful source of information for would-be writers

Whether or not this is the right category, I thought this piece was excellent, an inspiration to would-be writers, like myself!

Amusing, concise and full of good advice - thank you for sharing your insight with us.

diggypopdiggypopover 13 years agoAuthor
I was torn...

...about which category to submit this to, but decided in the end that since large amounts of this were hints and suggestions, that there were worse categories than "How To".

Mongo837Mongo837over 13 years ago
I think

what the guy below meant was that after a person writes an erotic story to pay very close attention to placing it in the correct category , LW is a good example of extreme conflict . Just because one or more of the characters happens to be married doesn't make it a LW story , IR writers are usually very good about knowing the difference . LW readers typically hate wimp/swap/swinger/cuck stories and will rake an author over the coals for putting it in LW instead of group sex or fetish . Its not fair to the reader or the writer .

diggypopdiggypopover 13 years agoAuthor
Thanks Mongo

Now I feel silly. Which is well-earned on my part. And yes, I think care needs to be taken when choosing the category, although I kind of enjoy that any given story may be high-brow or low-brow, regardless of category.

Mongo837Mongo837over 13 years ago
Thats true

But I one must also look at the overwhelming content and general character of the story to decide what place to put it . Like you said this site is a bit too ambiguous about its definitions and badly needs to be re defined as there are too many cross overs that dont make sense . The target audience is a very good way to tell . I mentioned most IR writers are writing for that particular type of reader in mind and know its not a LW story , most have too many angry dom/wimp/mindless slut elements that clearly are not designed for that reader in mind . Swingers , swappers and wimp writers are by far the worst offenders on this site for miss-categorizing their stories , its almost like they feel the need to inflict and impose their fetishes on other readers . Group sex , fetish , erotic couplings are where most LW readers think that belongs . They generally dont like those stories in their category . It seems to be a continuing problem on this site as for what ever reason those people are not given their own area to post . Thanks for posting your ideas

SwiverGuySwiverGuyover 13 years ago
Good work

I liked your essay a lot. It has some excellent advice I haven't encountered before, specifically in relation to writing erotica/porn.

I was so struck by your Raymond Chandler line about not using Happy or Sad to describe his character Marlowe's feelings that I'm going put it on my MacBook's desktop to remind me (along with my Hemingway quote: 'The first draft of anything is shit'). That way, I'll be reminded every day!

ScarlettSlaveScarlettSlaveover 13 years ago
Good Advice

I love anything that helps make a good story better and better yet, that which makes a good story great. Writers can't fail to take away something useful from your essay. Many thanks!

ParisWatermanParisWatermanover 11 years ago
A very useful essay

concise and well written. Something sorely lacking at Literotica.

Thank you for taking the time to do it.

sp9rkssp9rksalmost 7 years ago
Seven years on? Still applies 100%

The fact I search for this article is indicator how unsatisfied I feel about a large portion of stores on Literotica.

I too am from a similar (I doubt very much if identical) childhood, and notice you write "to be fair" numerous times. I feel that statement applies particularly to our upbringing, because without it we probably wouldn't recognise quality naughtiness from the ho-hum variety.

But that isn't why I'm commenting. Yours is the only article I've bothered to read on here about improving the readability of submissions. So, perhaps there are others just as tool-boxy. :) It is now a word so stuff it.

I'm a frustrated reader. Because most of the stories, from a sexually frustrated readers' point of view, are absolute shit. Seriously.

I don't blame the writers! For anyone to bother attempting to write, probably for the first time too, is a minor miracle.

No pay, no public recognition unless you can "take ownership" of public sexuality and its inevitable judgemental baggage. And then someone like me comes along (less constructive than you, it seems) and bags the shite out of their efforts.

Well, I'm not. No bagging.

But I just hope folks who write might consider the points you mentioned.

And this.

What is the point of reading, with expectation of a build up to a juicy, naughty expose and first hand experience of whatever xyz delightful romp in question, if before you've even finished one paragraph everyone has their clothes off, dicks or twats or barbie/ken non genitalia saying hello, and are even (for crying out LOUD) performing whatever nasty act already, I repeat, what is the point of all this with such a lack of build up?

It's like writing a whodunnit commencing the story with "by the way, Watson did the crime, but let's see how Sherlock got to the amazing conclusion".

Also, story titles that give away the whole show, magic tricks exposed and the whole works done and dusted. Why bother?

A large chunk of why I read erotic material is the FORBIDDEN part of the experience. What don't writers understand about NO! THAT IS NOT ALLOWED! so let's sneakily have Mr and Ms Smith choose to do something almost forbidden, then a little more wrong like the forbidden act, then deliberately choose to do more of the near enough thingy, then hey, no, you're not allowed, noway, get back, stop! what the? then actually DO the nitty gritty norty forty mad as a cut snake base filthy shameful act that feels so good!

If people could just tap into the feelings they seek to inject, that they are trying to ejaculate into their hot, wet story (I'm sure you understand this is "so to speak") and concentrate on showing, not telling, that aspect of it all, instead of writing a news article.

I know the anguish first hand of how to not only keep your story setting, mannerisms and location anonymous (yes that's important to me for my partner and children's sake) but to get past your own guilt and shame of writing down such things we were taught as children not to utter. Perhaps I'm in the minority here with these problems but I'm just saying, I do understand the struggle.

However, if writers can just see past this dilemma (that word again) enough to realise we are not inventing a guilt atom bomb. Sex IS a thing, and better to release frustration without personal or public fallout than to become all bitter, twisted and purple about it. Surely?

There are other issues I find disappointing about stories on here, but as usual my memory has reached its 2 minute limit and like Maggi brand noodles, you are better to eat what you have now and value / enjoy that rather than wait until they are cold or your teenage children steal them all.

Thanks Diggypop for your article and the amazing insight. There really are unique aspects about writing erotica and it was enjoyable seeing things some of my disorganised thoughts placed in an excellently worded article. You have nailed the skill of making every sentence of meaty value.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous