All Comments on 'How I Saved My Marriage'

by oddtomas1

Sort by:
  • 75 Comments
26thNC26thNCabout 3 years ago
OK

Good story idea, but a little stiff with the dialog and the narration. You definitely need an editor.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
There’s a really good story in here.

I think that this could have been spectacular as a 2 or 3 pager with some imagination and strong editing help. Maybe even as a noir piece. It really strikes as a concept draft and not as a finished product.

Keep plugging along, don’t be afraid to reach out for style and editing help.

~Enkidu

OdiouserOdiouserabout 3 years ago

Kinda cute. Old-timers will love the recall of Mary Tyler Moore. Just suspend your disbelief about the blood evidence after two headshots that an amateur forensics examiner would have spotted.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Not a Very Good Bodyguard

If he lets anyone into a room with his boss without patting that person down first -- especially the husband of a woman his boss is putting the moves on. 1*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
A triple murderer.

Maybe as the restaurant manager he can start poisoning any customers who leave too small of a tip.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

If you're going to have what appear to be unneeded details. have them make sense. They got married after he "finished" college. If he went to college then we can safely assume he graduated from high school. He works as a hotel desk agent, but he "labors" in the hotel restaurant? She didn't go to college? So she's a high school graduate. Period.

/

I haven't read far enough to know if the physical descriptions are useful.

/

I have to mention, "I have a very bad temper." - No need for the quotes.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
choppy

very choppy sentences so hard to get into the story.

Above average IQ yet he runs the front desk of a hotel? No offense to those folks who have that job but it struck me as odd he didn't take a different and higher paid career path.

His wife who tells him everything and consults with him admits to going to his room several times and even having drinks after he warned her to stay clear? Husband doesn't "reprimand" her for that telling her she could be drugged? Also, when she says he is a gentleman and not afraid he doesn't say that is the predators trick working?

The wife admits that to save them she would have sex with the guy? All along they could easily disappear and move away yet to save a waitress job she would commit adultery. At that point I would have a different view of my wife and explain it to her just like that - commit adultery to save a waitress job? She is an idiot. The guy won't kill you just because you say no to sex. He already threatened to have them never work again using his contacts. Didn't say murder.

And for such a powerful mafia boss this guy can shoot him and a body guard and get away with it?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Wow

You really need an editor. The idea was good, the end product was not. I had a hard time even giving this a 2.

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 3 years ago

Kind of fun, murderous outline.

The framework for a solid story is here.

If you could keep your plot ideas and framework while growing your ability to express emotions and a couple of other intricacies, you would be a top notch story teller.

FireFox59FireFox59about 3 years ago

Interesting story but I found it hard to read and follow in parts of it. Would have been a much better read if you would have developed the characters more and got much more emotion from them.

TheKrrakTheKrrakabout 3 years ago

As was noted below, silencers (actually supressors) only work on automatics, not revolvers. And unlike in Hollywood, they don't reduce the sound all that much really - just makes it harder to determine where the sound is coming from.

3/5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

There probably is a half decent story somewhere in there, but...

Learn to use speech marks and then learn to write dialogue.

Learn to build characters better and as the story needs and the length warrants. You don't need 1/2 a page of physical attributes and how you met followed by your life history in a 1 page story.

Find where you want to sit on realism, mob boss 1 bodyguard? Is it Saddletramp or is it closer to reality, but stick with it through the story and watch internal logic.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
To Vesatec - You are full of it. You can put a silencer on any weapon. External threads on the barrel and internal threads on the silencer. DUH

The story was just fine for one of the first few by this author. It entertains me to read the negative comments by the anon morons. i you are so smart - put it out there and write something. You can''t so you won't.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
No contractions

Reads like a list, not conversational, seems robotic,

kirei8kirei8about 3 years ago
Good plot, concise, and to the point without unnecessary flowery words or phrases

But you do need a good editor because English is not your native tongue. Also, you need a couple proof readers to catch the glaring mistakes of the gun, silencer, and body positioning. 4 stars! Keep on writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Others have seen the same thing....

This is an unusual story. The plot is outstanding...creative, free of the usual LW cliches, and basically believable. The problems are the prose, which is wooden, and the need to fill out the action and characters more.

There are a number of writers here who craft fluent prose, but it's typically used to cover up what are essentially very poor plots and weaknesses in character development. This story great plot and character development potential. Keep at it. Creativity is harder to come by than learning to make prose flow well.

AbctoyAbctoyabout 3 years ago
Good read

Creative and we'll told in a short space.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Serious editing needed...

Tense and use of quotes when not needed was seriously distracting.

Mary replied that, "She will

Joe, "I have... " then multiple paragraphs broken but the same person is speaking. This is followed with the last switching from first person comments and third person views.

Could have been a better story without all the distractions.

WargamerWargamerabout 3 years ago

Not a bad story

3/5

Freddog6601Freddog6601about 3 years ago

Interesting concept for a story.

First issue is the need for an editor as the story has potential but needs polishing.

The second item is this story has “legs”. It has the potential to be much more than the short piece it turned out to be.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 3 years ago

Interesting, unique plot for this genre. That said, you need to work on your narrative. Try varying sentence length and the flow from one paragraph to the other. This story was "choppy" at times. I agree with other comments, this solid plot needed more depth, so another 2-3 pages would have allowed your story to "breathe" rather than the single page you chose. 3*

ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 3 years ago

Something new! Thanks very good story. No wimps in this one.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Good story

But robotically told.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Very uneven....and not well written

Much above average IQ...but working as a hotel desk clerk.

Two years of college. But married after graduating college.

New owner wanted all employees to stay. But he was going to replace many with family members.

Guy is a hotel desk clerk. Wife cooks at home. But he’s also an accomplished restaurant cook?

So when their marriage is is danger from womanizing mafia type, this desk clerk and waitress don’t/won’t leave and find another place to work in their low paying jobs?

OK...kinda liked how he took care of his abusive father....but suckering the mafia guys?

Overall....huge plot inconsistencies; elicited zero caring for characters; and not good writing.

2**

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Silencer lol

No such thing as a silencer but suppressor yes. Any gun can be suppressed despite previous comments. Good read though.

ribnitinribnitinabout 3 years ago

I couldn't read this because of the sentence structure, one short sentence after another.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
The efficient short sentences

Add to the pace. Many high IQ men have jobs beneath them. Often because their bosses feel insecure. The important parts are the foreknowledge, a wife communicating, and a husband not allowing a bastard to.succeed.

Seizeya1Seizeya1about 3 years ago

I didn't read this story to parse the construction or grammar. I read it to be entertained in it's category and then decided if it did that for me. Yes, it did. Will the writer improve with experience? I hope so. I have experience with some of the "personality quirks" used in the construction of the characters. I recognized them and could envision the scenario. Worked for me!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Odd

Tomas!

RTR10RTR10about 3 years ago

Different from the usual stories on here.....I enjoyed it. Thanks for writing, look forward to reading more of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Horribly written

Two examples, enclosing narrative in quotation marks and writing first person dialogue in third person.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Good story, poor writing.

Get an editor to help you. Story was decent.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
My opinion

Righteous kill! This is a great burn the bastard story.

HKL BTB fan and RAAC in certain circumstance

KRD19254KRD19254about 3 years ago

I gave it a 5* due to the meaning of the story - a man must do what a man must do. And he did it all right never tell anyone - the best secret is the one NEVER ever told to anyone, even your wife.

/

But the actual writing was jerky and narrating, no emotional quality.

/

Hooyah, Salute. the story...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Other than Pete getting off too painlessly it was a good story.

How do you arrange two dead bodies to make it look like they were kissing? It would have been funny if he could have killed them with the body guard's dick up Pete's ass.

Thanks for the effort.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
edit me please!

Has possibilities, but needs an editor (i.e. closure is spelled as such, not "closer").

Smokepole

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
He saved his money to start his own restaurant,as you wrote early on

Run on sentences, last to see boss and he is still alive.poor writing

enderlocke77enderlocke77about 3 years ago
hmm

the robotic comment yes, one sided hearsay story. dont disrespect ur stories by not giving it an edit read. that would have cleared up a lot of the errors that were there. plot was good execution not so much

LickideesplitLickideesplitabout 3 years ago
LW?

Where is the ‘Loving Wife?’ The closest I can see is pretty far away from adventurous. That is when Sweetie, after the double murder, told Hubby she woulda fucked The Mobster (presumably without telling Hubby) to keep everyone alive. Which raises the specter that she may have ... starting the first time she was pressured into serving him.

3* but coulda been better placed in NonErotic.

chytownchytownabout 3 years ago
That Was A Nice And Neat Story***

Thanks for sharing.

kelchakelchaabout 3 years ago
Simple and Sweet

Hey, the pricks were rapists. Intimidation and threats are weapons.

Story has an old west vibe. Fuck with the bull, you get the horn.

If I were on a jury for this double murder, hubby would walk.

PowersworderPowersworderabout 3 years ago

Good idea for a story, I'm glad they survived unscathed.

You do need to work on your writing to make it flow more smoothly. Short, choppy sentences are great for making a dramatic point, but used too much and the story sounds robotic. Also a paragraph should have at least three sentences in it, otherwise it feels too short.

KristieBechirKristieBechirabout 3 years ago
Sry did not reply...

“She will do whatever I ask to avoid him.”

If it’s in quotes, it’s what the person actually said. No one refers to themselves as she. It would be: Mary replied, “I will do whatever you say to avoid him.”

G1962G1962about 3 years ago

I loved it. I hate when a guy wants his wife and does nothing.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 3 years ago

Re: Silencers/suppressors - Not being even layman knowledgeable on guns, I asked Google about this. First, as a GENERAL rule you can't use a suppressor on a revolver, as the gasses escaping at the chamber end aren't silenced by the silencer at the muzzle end. As with all general rules, there ARE exceptions, such as revolvers designed to close the gap at the chamber end, and special ammo and such. But the general rule still applies: You can't simply screw a suppressor onto any normal revolver and get a silenced weapon.

tralan69ertralan69erabout 3 years ago

fiction

This story is a work of fiction. So it doesn't matter if the revolver is suppressed or even can be.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Good job!

I really like a man of action. Please keep 'em stories coming.

tralan69ertralan69erabout 3 years ago

sbrooks103x

"Re: Silencers/suppressors - Not being even layman knowledgeable on guns"....Why would you comment on something you know little about? Anyone can google if interested.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Rep to Anon 02/19/2021

Sorry to burst your bubble. But the SILENCER was invented by Hiram Maxim and patented in 1921 as a Silencer For Guns in the patent application. Others who often speak of them refer to suppressors, cans, and even mufflers back in the day. So while it might not be popular in this era, they are properly called a silencer by the inventor.

weathermanksweathermanksabout 3 years ago
Loved it.

Short and sweet and to the point. I loved it.

BabalooieBabalooieover 2 years ago

I have often heard that silencers do not work on revolvers due to escaping gasses. However, I am aware that tunnel rats in Viet Nam used revolvers with silencers. Also, the gap between the cylinder and forcing cone is minuscule. In case you were wondering, I am a gunsmith, but have never been around silencers.

Oh, yeah. Good original story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Perfect solution. Quick and decisive. 5*

Pasqual_ClementePasqual_Clementeover 2 years ago

This is a fine story. There was a lot of story in this short tale. Well done. It ranks right up their with "The Price". Thank-you

-

Pasqual

Pasqual_ClementePasqual_Clementeover 2 years ago

I am sorry. In my last post I mentioned another story, "The Price". I erred, I meant "The List". Did not like "The Price", But the List was good.

-

Pasqual

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Only a few MEN will recognize that the protagonist did the right thing, even the moral thing, by killing Pete.

In fact such a quick death should be considered an act of mercy for the likes of him. Being a man sometimes mean defending what's yours. Just because we have electricity now doesn't mean its not a jungle out there anymore. Pete deserved to die, in fact he worked hard to deserve his fate. And Joe is a hero, yes for killing a man ( barely a man really)

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

he did the right thing but a silencer would not cover the sound as well as one would think unless there was a noisy bar or something good read though

tazz317tazz317over 2 years ago
ACCORDING TO THE MAFIA RULES OF HONOR

someone has to pay the piper for all transactions. TK U MLJ LV NV

GarySmith69GarySmith69over 2 years ago

Well done that husband. Protected his wife and killed a scumbag well done.

Rancher46Rancher46about 2 years ago

Loved the storyline, mafia boss threatens Joe's marriage and after that Joe takes action and eliminates the threat. As they say, you got to do what you got to do to protect your family and that is what Joe a protective husband did. End of story. Gets my 5-star vote.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

According to Mafia rules of honor, YOU DON'T FUCK ANOTHER MAN'S WIFE, MADE OR NOT! The world is full of juice, you don't sip from another man's cup.

redboat7redboat7over 1 year ago

Great Story!! loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Getting one over a Mafia Boss is a great feat especially if it’s done for love! Like the story because the good guy wins! Full Marks!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

so she would have gone to bed with Pete? After all her husband said and what they discussed? I would not kill for her. Sorry.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Not really

As another comment

She would have went to bed with him having a drink with him! Hell no

Sends wrong message

Cut off privates and stuff them

Use your imagination

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

The story is ok, but your writing is stiff. Try to relax your dialogue.

PhoenixLore1981PhoenixLore19816 months ago

When writing just go with the flow basically as another reader said just relax so your stories don't come across reading stiff over thinking when trying to write makes for a horrible story when it comes to reading it can ruin a story with a plot line which this story did have but the stiffness of the writing hurt the plot and the story line there was no fluent flow to it would have been a really good story if not for that its a simple fix for your next story just relax and go with the flow don't overthink it

PhoenixLore1981PhoenixLore19816 months ago

I do have to agree with some of the other comments though when she said she would have gone to bed with him to supposedly protect her husband is a marriage breaker if she was so scared of this pete guy why didn't she go straight to her husband the fact that she didn't tells me she wasn't that scared of him and the fact she chose to have drinks with him alone in his room also says a lot nature of it she wasn't worth keeping around much less killing for while if the dialogue was fluent and not stiff would have been good story it wouldn't have been my cup of tea if you are going to write a lw story either write it with the way norm is with the wife being a cheating slut or write it about a actual loving wife not a wife like the 1 in this story if she was truly a loving wife she would have went to her husband right away if she was supposedly scared and she would have never have went to his room alone and had drinks with him and she would have never even considered going to bed with him for any reason she wasn't a loving wife but not quite a cheating slut

HighBrowHighBrow4 months ago

I really enjoyed this, but would rather his wife had been taken before the murder.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Sort of a tepid flow to the story. Liked just the same.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

An okay story overall, but I respect the protagonist and the actions he took to save his marriage. And his wife didn't seem like some high school freshman swooning over the QB either. She may have been written as a simple naive woman, but she seemed to genuinely love her husband and was as worries about their marriage as he was.

Schwanze1Schwanze14 months ago

Google is your friend. Google .38 with a silencer.

Schwanze1Schwanze14 months ago

Closure not closer.

Schwanze1Schwanze14 months ago

A bit Joe Friday but a good story.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Not awful. Four stars.

JPB

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous