How The Tides Turn Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes sir, you did, but I don't think even you could see this happening. Well, you play, you pay. Our divorce is going through and I thought you should know what was going on. Sir, by chance, is Jeanne there? I have tried to get in touch with her..."

"She doesn't want to talk to you right now. She has been upset about something that was going on up there and just wants to be left alone. Now, you see to it that she doesn't get bothered by you or anyone else up there!" he warned.

"Sir, please! If I could just talk to her for a minute. We had a conversation that we never really finished. I have something to tell her and I know she will want to hear this. Please let me talk to her," Phil pleaded.

"I will say this one more time. Leave her alone. If she wants to talk to you, she will call you. Son, you need to move on with your life and come to grips with two very important things...you picked the wrong sister for your wife, and she doesn't want to talk to you! Now good day to you!" and Jeanne's father hung up.

Phil slowly hung up the phone, in a daze. He felt his heart breaking. "Jeanne...honey! I told you...nothing is what it seems," he said to himself.

But, her father was right. There was nothing he could do right now. He had to take care of his kids and move on with his life. Starting over in a different area with a fresh start suddenly sounded like a great idea. But where?

Four months after the sentencing, Phil received his divorce papers and full custody of his little cherubs. Just one thing left now. He had is attorney, and friend, Will prepare adoption papers. Phil had them with him when he went to see Gordon in Joliet. Gordon started laughing after Phil requested that he sign the paper that gave up parental rights to Little Gordon and Ashley.

"Now, why in the hell would I do that?" Gordon said, laughing at the situation. His brother needed him to do something and this was another opportunity to piss him off.

"Gordon, please. This isn't about you or me. This is about the kids. You know damn well you don't give a shit about those two and would never have been a father to them. Just sign the papers and let's move on with our lives. Please!" Phil begged him.

"I don't think so, big brother! I have no intention of giving up anything to you. I would rather see them in a foster home than let you have the satisfaction of getting them! So, go fuck yourself!"

Phil looked at Gordon and thought about his last play. He then turned to Will, who had accompanied Phil, and asked that he be allowed to speak in private with his brother, assuring him and the guard that everything would be ok. Just some private matters to discuss. Will and the guard left the meeting room of the prison and waited just outside the door.

Phil turned his cold gaze back to Gordon. "You can't possibly be this stupid!"

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Look at you! Look where you are at! You are a felon! You have been getting your ass beaten since you have been arrested. Do you think all of this is just a run of bad luck? Or, could it be...that you pissed 'somebody' off and fucked with the wrong woman?" he snarled.

Gordon gave him a suspicious look, obviously thinking about the recent turn of events. "You're so full of shit! There's no way you could have done all of this. You don't have the balls!"

Phil smiled, "Maybe...Maybe not. You have no idea what I am really capable of or who I know. However, I do have a strong feeling that if I leave here today without your signature then your life will get dramatically more disdained. You might even get raped...or worse. Think about it. You are in here and I am out there. Who is the 'wimp-ass jerk off' now, little brother?"

Gordon's eyes were wide and his face went pale. Thinking about what happened and things some other inmates said as they were beating him, he now believed every word Phil told him.

Phil continued, "Ah! I see I now have your attention. Good. Let me finish. I have no doubt that you will live through your sentence and try to get your life back in order. Picture this...You spend at least two years being someone's bitch after spending a good portion of your time in the infirmary, you get out on parole, and have an awful hard time finding lucrative employment. You soon find out that the reason is because every reputable company you apply to will see your criminal record and photos of you fucking your sister-in-law and any other item I deem necessary to show them. If I don't kill you before hand, that is. And, without a job, how will you pay the law suit I will file against you for child support reimbursement and Alienation of Affection? Is that how you want to get on with your life? Constantly looking over your shoulder?

If not, then I highly recommend you sign these papers giving up parental rights on kids you don't care about and breath easier knowing that I will have nothing more to do with you. The attacks stop, as far as I am concerned, and I will live and let live. You go your way...I will go mine. That's the deal. What do you say to that?"

Gordon slowly nodded, looking down at his shaking hands. He never imagined that Phil would be capable of this. Phil, himself, was surprised that he could lie right through his teeth like that with such conviction, but he accomplished his objective and that is all that mattered to him.

Phil motioned to the guard and he and Will returned to the room. Gordon signed the papers and held his face in his hands in total defeat. Phil and Will got up to leave. Phil had the last word.

"Gordon, you did the right thing. Whatever you went through growing up that caused all of this hatred for me is in the past. I never felt anything but love for you. The sooner you come to terms and get over it, the better off you will be. If you learn nothing else while you are here...learn that! As you found out the hard way, what you don't know about somebody really can hurt you! Remember that!"

Phil and his friend left Joliet. They boarded a plane and flew to New Hampshire.

"Ok, Jennifer let's get this over with. I find being in the same room with you repulsive," Phil snapped.

"Then get the hell out of here. I don't want to see you either. What are you doing here?" Jennifer replied.

Will slid the documents across the table to Jennifer. She looked the papers over and saw that they were consent for legal adoption papers. "How in the hell did you get Gordon to sign these? Or are they forged...they have to be. There is no way Gordon would give this to you!"

Phil smiled at her. "Oh no...they are not forged. I assure you. As you will read, these papers are giving me rights that Gordon previously had. That's all. They do not take away your maternal or your parental rights. They just legally put Gordon out of their lives and legally make me their father if the truth were ever to come out."

"What are you talking about? The truth has already come out...in the Divorce," Jennifer looked confused.

Will responded. "Actually, Jen, no it didn't. The judge knows nothing about the affair or Gordon being their biological father. Only the attorneys involved know about it. The judge granted the divorce and custody based on your incarceration and that Phil is on both children's birth certificates. These documents today are precautionary in the event that years down the road Gordon decides to exercise his parental rights."

"So, why do I need to sign it? Gordon already gave his rights over to you."

"Because you are still the kids' mother and have a say in the adoption process, unless you become classified as an unfit mother at some point," Phil told her.

Jennifer slid the papers, unsigned, back over to Phil. "So, this is about helping you. Right? Well, want in one hand...shit in the other! I would never give that to you."

"Well, maybe you should rethink your position. If you are good, you will be on parole in a couple of years. You won't be allowed to leave the area until you are off parole. You know yourself how precious freedom can be. It may not take as much as you think for you to get the courts attention and land you right back here. I, on the other hand, am moving to a different part of the country. Starting new.

What that means to you is this. This is a big country. Very easy to get lost. If you don't sign these papers, I guarantee you will never see those kids again. At least until they are 18. I will change my name if necessary. Whatever it takes. But, you sign them and I will make sure to bring the kids to see you and when you get out, your dad just might know where to find me so you can see them. Am I, in any way, not clear?"

"Using the kids against me? That is a low-blow, even for a loser like you." Jennifer couldn't believe what was happening.

"It's not using them against you. It's giving me what is mine. For the time being I have full custody. They are mine and I want to keep them. And whether you believe it or not, I want you in their life, like a mother should be. You are a very good mother. I don't hate you, Jen. I think that you severely underestimated me and I don't think that we could even be friends anymore. But we can be parents. These papers will be stored in a safe deposit box until the kids turn 21. Just in case my name on their birth certificate is ever questioned by you or Gordon. My rights to those children will be protected at all costs. Sign it, Jen."

Reluctantly, she signed them and pushed them over to Will, where he put his final signature and seal on them. It was done.

"Jennifer, thank you. You have no idea how much all of this means to me. Really. Now, I will keep my word. Keep in touch with your dad and I will organize everything through him with our communications about the kids until you get out. Write them a letter every now and then, send it to your dad, and when I get it I will make sure to read it to them. They would love that." He rose from his chair and walked out of the door. Suddenly, he was back in the doorway.

"One more thing...the dull orange color coveralls you are wearing looks good on you. It suits you!" He laughed and walked out of the women's prison.

Now, he just wanted to get out of there and settle down somewhere else that didn't carry the memories of his former life. He put résumés out and was hired to teach history at University of Florida in Gainesville.

After closing on his house, Phil drove over to Tom's house to have dinner and say goodbye. His car was packed and was leaving the next day for Florida. When he arrived he noticed an older gentleman dressed in casual attire. He was introduced as Uncle John and Phil just froze. He started to get scared, thinking he shouldn't have taken credit for the incarcerations. John extended his hand with a smile and told him to relax.

They had dinner and Phil began losing the heavy anxiety that had built up earlier. He still felt like a big worm on a little hook, though. He didn't know whether to kiss his hand like in the Godfather movies, or to expect to sleep with the fishes.

After dinner, John asked Phil to take a walk with him.

"Well, Phil, I want to tell you that your kids are beautiful. I know you must feel proud."

"Uh, yes-s s-sir. I am very proud. And I want to thank you for everything you've done for me." Phil didn't know what else to say. He was looking over his shoulder periodically, expecting something.

John stopped and turned to look Phil in the eye with a serious warning tone. "I don't know what you're talking about Phil. I just met you tonight and we had dinner at my niece's house. I haven't done anything for you...Capeesh?"

Phil's asshole puckered tighter than a drum. His face went pale and acknowledged the warning.

"Good! Now that that's settled...You're welcome! Ah, Phil. As you can see, I have a weakness for my niece. I have 3 nieces and she is the only one who keeps in touch. She's a good girl and I would do anything for her. Do you keep in touch with your family, Phil?" Phil took a deep breath and tried to calm down. John saw this, like so many times before, and chuckled.

"Yes sir, but not as much as I should, regretfully," Phil admitted.

"Well, try to fix that. Family is all we really have to count on in this world."

"You'll forgive me if I don't share your sentiment on that one, John. I know you understand."

"True, there are bad apples in every family. God knows my family has seen it. But, the fact remains...You need to keep in touch with them. Especially your mother and father. Phil, you are a good man. Tom and Abby think the world of you and that carries some weight with me. So, you're going to Florida?"

"Yes sir. Going to start over and just get away from here. Try and give the kids a good life. Ya know?"

"Yeah, that will be good. Get some sun. Go to Disney World. Just make sure those kids never want for anything...especially your time and love. Or I promise you will hear from me and next time I may not be so nice."

"You can count on that, John," Phil said as convincingly as he could muster.

John smiled and lightly tapped Phil's face a few times. "I will...You're a good man! As far as Jennifer is concerned, give her time. If she doesn't show remorse and get her act together...do not let her near those children!"

"That was my plan. It would suit me just fine if she never showed up in their life," Phil said.

"Speaking of that," John asked, "So what about this Jeanne girl I have heard about? I hear she moved away? Do you love her?"

"Yeah, she is Jennifer's younger sister. She had to leave because of cut backs in the school. She is a beautiful woman, John. She says she had a crush on me since just after Jennifer and I got married. I used her for sex to get back at Jennifer, but in the process ended up developing feelings for her. I don't know if I love her or not. Everything happened so fast. Now, she won't talk to me." Phil told him everything that happened while John just nodded and listened.

Then John told him what he thought. "It sounds to me like she really believes that she loves you. It is hard to tell since she has had these feelings for you for so long. But, I don't think she was ready to see you back with Jennifer after you two had your fling. She's hurt and needs time. On the other hand, sometimes the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. You have to be careful and use your head on this one. My advice would be to leave it alone. Make sure the kids see their grandfather as much as possible. Make sure he knows where you are and how to get a hold of you. If it is meant to be, let Jeanne find you when she is ready. Either way, move on with life and be happy. You're not living for yourself. You live for those children that you fought for. You have been through hell for so long and you need to cool off and breathe. Romance will happen when it is supposed to happen. Understand?"

"You're right, John, I know you're right. I guess I just wanted to talk to her and let her know it is over and see where things are with us."

"She is telling you now where things are. She isn't ready for anything and is tending to herself. I can't say I blame her. Phil, this was a fucked up situation up here and she didn't see even half of it. You are damaged goods. But you're not beyond repair. When she clears her head, I'm sure she will talk to you then. If not, so be it. You tend to those kids and yourself!"

Phil knew he was right. He just wished things were not just left the way they were. They talked about a lot of things, like Florida, vacations, telling each other jokes...just catching up like long lost friends. They were laughing about a funny story that John told Phil about when they walked back in the house. They had been gone for well over an hour. Shortly after they returned, there was a honk from a car outside and John said it was time to go. He had to catch a flight back to New York. They said their goodbyes and John told Phil to keep him posted on how they were doing and if they needed anything to give him a call. Needless to say, they hit it off well.

After breakfast the next morning, He hugged Tom and Abby, thanking them for everything and said he would call when he got there and found a place to live. He loaded the kids in the car and headed south with every intention of stopping by Macon, Georgia and letting the kids see grandpa...and hopefully Jeanne.

***

A new beginning.

On the trip, he thought a lot about what happened and what John had told him. He hated that Jeanne wouldn't talk to him. He wanted to talk to her at least one more time...clear things up between them. But John was right. What good would it do to talk to her if she didn't want to or wasn't ready for it? Now he was thankful that he didn't get too deeply involved with her. Maybe it is for the best, he thought.

By the time he crossed the Virginia state line he had a more positive outlook on his life. His kids were everything. Now his children were primary in his life. The more he thought about it the more he wanted it that way.

As he drove along the long, dirt country driveway to his ex-father-in-law's house he got a little nervous. What if Jeanne was still there? How would she react to him? These were questions that he may get answered at a later time because Jeanne wasn't there.

Phil and the kids had a wonderful time with Grandpa Dave. He was a very simple man. A 55-year old farmer with a welding job that he did on the side, out of his barn. Not to mention that he was a 'hoss' of a man. His 6'5" large frame towered over Phil and most other men as well. He was also a very gentle man with the children. He was the kind of man that knows what he knows and he sticks to his morals and beliefs. Phil admired the simplicity of his life.

After the kids were put to bed, Phil went outside on the porch and had a beer with Dave. The southern sky was illuminated with more stars than he had ever seen in the city. The crickets chirping gave the evening a supremely peaceful ambience.

"It's such a beautiful night," Phil stated, looking up at the stars.

Dave gave a sigh. "Yep! That it is. But that is not what you wanted to talk about, is it son?" Dave always did get straight to the point.

"How is she, Dave?" Phil asked, amazed at how much this man actually saw.

"Oh, she's doing pretty good, I reckon. She went and found her a teaching job over in Mississippi. You don't plan on bothering her, do you?" he asked with a stern look of warning.

"No, sir. I guess I just wanted to know if she was alright. I would love to talk to her but I will respect her wishes and leave her be. I wanted to tell her again how sorry I am about how things worked out up there."

"Son, that was one hell of a mess ya'll got into up there. Jeanne took it pretty hard. She learned a lot out of that deal and I know she won't ever be the same. She's not quite so naive anymore."

"Damn. I never wanted her hurt. But, we all learned a lot from that. A lot of mistakes!"

"Phil, how did you let things get that far? For so long? What's the matter with you?" Dave asked, bewildered.

"I don't know. I was in denial for so long. Then I just didn't want to face it. I loved Jennifer so much and I guess I was the one who was naive...thinking it was just something that would go away in time. Before I knew it, almost 2 years had passed and I woke up. Very angry, I might add. Then, I wanted to affect her life like she had mine. Stupid, I know, but it was what I felt inside. I gave Jeanne a warning and told her not to believe everything she sees or hears. A little too late, I'm afraid."

"I reckon Jennifer got what was coming. I sure hope she does a lot of thinking up there and comes to her senses. You plan on letting her see her kids, right?" Dave asked.

"As long as she has her head on straight, absolutely. If she hasn't changed and shown any kind of remorse for her actions, then she will never see them again. She may not want to be married to me, and that is fine. She has to know that the way she went about it was devastating and cruel and totally uncalled for."