How to Adapt a Story for The Stage

Story Info
Some tips on adapting literature for the stage.
1.6k words
0
270
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

How To Adapt A Story For The Stage

Literotica published my 11 part series called "My In-Laws Art/Porn Video Affair". To illustrate "How To", I have changed part of this into a stage play.

The first 4 episodes of literary piece was composed of over 5,000 words. I reduced it to a mere 1,100 words. The majority of the details about the characters had gone. That leaves the actors more leeway to develop a stage personna.

But, I needed to add more "depth" to the in-laws. A leading actor and an actress would want more lines, especially lines which establish conflict.

So I added an entirely new scene to show that Jim wasn't entirely happy with the Art/Porn show but gave in to Edith. Hopefully that heightens the surprise at the end of Act 1.

A phone call had replaced Jim and Stephen being naked in a swimming club changing room. This sacrificed something important, which is that Jim and Stephen were happy being naked together. But it gained the element of surprise mentioned above.

In the original Stephen gave a holding reply. All we have here is that there is a 3 month time delay.

It also lost Stephen's research into the ethics of a solicitor having an affair with his clients.

It also lost Stephen tried to behave as normal in his marital love making and behaviours. But that could be used later.

STAGE NUDITY

A certain amount of stage nudity is permissible. However people aren't prepared to sit and watch actual sex.

Hence the blackout allows the audience to see a little nudity and to imagine what happens next.

WHO DECIDES?

It is for the Director and the actors to establish what levels of nudity they want. But they have to think about what the paying public wants.

As an example, in "Spring Awakening" there is a scene where a group of men masturbate together. The actors were willing to do the scene in the nude. Indeed that, for them, made the scene. The Director wasn't happy with any male nudity, not even lots of men exposing their penises while clothed.

In my opinion the sight of a group of men wanking imaginary willies was risible. I

I know all this because I was one of the actors. I felt that the scene should have been completely naked.

ON ACTORS' LINES

The script is changeable. The Director decides what is to be presented. For instance, Act 1 Scene 1 could be composed of lines taken from improvisation sessions.

One leading actor said that the actors should be able to change lines on stage as they thought fit. Luckily this extreme request for complete actor autonomy never came to fruition.

ON STAGECRAFT

The limitations of the stage limits what can be shown. But stage props, staging and lighting can indicate all kinds of emotional states.

For instance, the 3 month gap between Scene 2 and 3 can be indicated by Stephen wearing summer clothes instead of winter weight clothing.

STAGE DIRECTIONS

Stage directions are there as a guideline from the Author or adapter to the Director. They help him or her to see how the stage writer sees the play staged.

Once the author is paid for a license to use the script he or she has little say on how it is used.

ROYALTIES

Famously one major Glasgow production was stopped just a week before it was due to go on at the King's Theatre. They hadn't paid royalties and had used branded logos without permission.

Less famously an amateur troup was fined for staging a production in France, when their licence only covered the UK.

STAGE PLAY FIRST ACT

List of Characters

Jim 58 and Edith 55 the in laws

Lilly 28 wife, married for 3 years to

Stephen Hero 25

Erotic video artists

Stephen's work mates.

Act 1 Scene 1 - Edith and Jim's House (to be completed)

Edith and Jim are watching porn and criticise a Male Male Female video.

Edith says that she could do better

Jim says that she couldn't. They have a wager.

Jim asks in what ways

Edith says that love making and orgasm sounds would be authentic.

Jim asks who would be the second man

Edith says Stephen

Jim resists but eventually agrees.

Act 1 Scene 2 - Edith and Jim's House and Stephen's House simultaneously. - the following morning.

Edith is watching Jim who is calling her son-in-law.

Jim (on phone to Stephen) "Edith wants to be filmed with you fucking her. We have a couple of friends who are handy with a video camera.

They aren't into porn, they are erotic video artists. Edith likes seeing you in your swimming shorts. She is jealous that I get to see you naked."

Stephen "You realise what you are asking me to do, don't you?"

Jim "I know it is a bit rich being asked to cuckold your wife with her mother. But Edith is a determined lady. She wants you, despite you being married to our daughter. In fact that adds an extra dimension to the eroticism.

Lots of men want to fuck a mother and daughter. I am giving you my blessing. And this isn't just sex it is ART."

Stephen "It boosts my ego but its a "totally out there" request. I have never been unfaithful to Lilly. My marriage is great. I rarely have problems sleeping, which is unusual for people with high pressure jobs. Lilly fully supports me.

Jim "Edith just wanted me to put down a marker. You haven't given me a positive rejection of her proposal. I will tell my wife that this is a good sign."

Blackout

Act 1 Scene 3 - Stephen's House - 3 months later.

Lilly is going. Stephen kisses her lovingly

Stephen "Enjoy your team bonding course. See you on Wednesday. Love you."

Lilly exits. Stephen immediately phones Jim

Stephen "She's gone. I'm on my way over."

Jim "Dinner followed by a night of watching and discussing porn and art."

Stephen "Sounds fine."

Blackout

Act 1 Scene 4 - Edith and Jim's House

Jim, Edith and Stephen sit down for a night of watching porn films.

Stephen "It is strange that I am watching porn with my in-laws when Lilly and I rarely do.

Edith "My favourite is "Mother And Son". It takes just 20 seconds to get into the action. Every frame tell its own story. It is not merely explicit its also artistic."

Edith pauses the video.

Edith "Wouldn't you like to be that man sucking my breasts and making me tingle with excitement?"

Stephen "You fill out your one piece swimming costume. And of course when you show lots of.."

Edith (breaks in) "Patience, young man, will get its reward. But I like the wait for my erotic desires to be fulfilled.

Jim "Treat 'em mean and keep 'em keen."

Edith "I want you to be like a man who has been without water in a desert. You will saviour it a whole lot more."

Jim "Later, when Edith has gone to bed, would it be okay for me to video you naked?"

Stephen "If I can't accept being filmed nude, the art project is a no go."

Jim "I'm not gay or bisexual. I'm just homoerotic. I like to look at men's packages, be they small or medium or large, European or Asian or black."

Edith (to Stephen) "I appreciate beauty. Some men have it, some women don't. Some couples have it. You and my husband both have beauty in spades. That is why I want us 3 to have beautiful sex together. Our beautiful sex will be art of the highest quality because we are 3 beautiful people."

Jim "That is a manifesto worthy of Andy Warhol. He made us aware of the beauty of soup cans. I now declare that I am beauty. I have a duty to share my beautifulness with the world."

Edith puts on another video.

Jim (as video plays) "Too gynaecological, more like a sex ed video. The orgasm sounds were added after the video was taken. His withdrawal wasn't shown properly."

Edith "Our video will have the natural sounds that lovers make."

Edith "We have make a slideshow of our favourite sexy bits of the famous "Art Porn Crossover" film, Caligula. Our favourite is the famous scene involving 2 women sharing an enormously large cock."

Edith "I'll leave you 2 gentlemen to your own devices."

She exits.

Act 1 Scene 5 - Edith and Jim's House

Jim "Relax. We see each other naked in the swimming pool changing room."

Stephen "But this is different. I am posing for someone else."

Jim "Your mum-in-law masturbates thinking about you. She has had many orgasms with your name on her lips. I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't upstairs now with her fingers up her cunt, thinking about you fucking her."

Stephen reacts.

Jim "For now, Lilly just wants want to see photos that show the shape of your cock. She wants something erotic to tantalise her. But not to let the cat out of the bag."

Stephen "I have heard many euphemisms for a penis, but never have I heard of it being called a cat."

Jim "Edith and I are naturists. So I walk round with my willy exposed."

Stephen "In my unenlightened view, men's pricks are designed for 3 purposes, urination, procreation and recreation within a marriage and only within a marriage."

Jim "Yet you intend to fuck a woman outside marriage. And not just any woman, but the last woman your wife would want you to fuck. Would watch a video of your wife being fucked?"

Stephen "No, I couldn't. It would be too painful."

Jim "Strip down to your underwear. Edith likes photos of men going round semi nude. It is more erotic than seeing all the men naked on the nudist beach."

Stephen strips down to his designer underwear. Jim lays him down on the sofa. He starts to pull Stephen's underpants down.

Blackout.

End of First Act