All Comments on 'How to Write a Novel'

by RC_of_Doom

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
austin_voyaustin_voyover 13 years ago
Yup. Writing is a great way to waste one's life

I struggled and struggled and finally sold a short story to Asimov. Great. Second story came easier. Since I was a Penthouse reader (yeah, you know what that means) I saw that Bova had his own mag. And was paying more, especially for (ta da) published authors. I sent the manuscript in and got a call a week later with a verbal offer for not only that story, but another in the same "universe". I said sure and suddenly a check showed up for almost twice what I was expecting for the story. I hammered the next one out in two weeks, three of my fans read it, marked it and I sent it in. And had another check in two weeks.

Then my life went to hell. Ben calls. BEN! Can you write a novel with this? Sure. How long? Gotta figure how what to do. A year, maybe? Can you get me a draft in 6 months? Ahhh. Okay, how about 8? Um, sure.

Now I was naive about the publishing and didn't have anybody covering my ass. He didn't even talk about money. I figured "novel = four short stories" Right?

Oh year, RC, you know what that means.

Still working on the draft.30+ years later. And two books later.

Hillary_WoodHillary_Woodover 13 years ago
So did you get A Pius Man published then?

I have looked all over and found mere blogs containing some of your other essays now available on literotica.

"A Pius Man is a high-octane tale of espionage, murder, and the dirty secrets that make history. It’s also the first novel from an author who hasn’t yet signed a contract to pin down his pen name. Call me John. Watch this space for news on the book"

..is this the book?

You have done a good job of self publicising I must admit. I look froward to reading the book.

God that is a bummer about the star trek novels though.

traci_eliottraci_eliotover 13 years ago
Thanks, but...

...Tom Sharpe, in his wickedly funny 'The Great Pursuit', really has to be the definitive, and far from being as Panglossian, word on the whole business(?) of writing.

I advise everyone who has ever thought of taking up a pen or a keyboard to read it and enjoy it - even if you'll never be a writer!

traci

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userRC_of_Doom@RC_of_Doom
38 Followers
Been a while. Near a decade, actually. I created this profile a long time ago, when I was quite stupid. But I've been busy. I've come out with nearly 30 books and a bunch of short stories. I've even gotten married (three years, already, and they said it wouldn't last.) All m...