Hunter's Moon

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Finding her mother in the drawing room, Sophia wished her good morning and attempting as casual an air as possible, enquired after her absent maid.

"She asked to take her leave early this morning, some family trouble I understand. I asked James to take her in the carriage to Sevenoaks. Lovely girl; I wrote a glowing recommendation should she need it and bade her return to us whenever she may be able." Her mother looked up from her embroidery. "Did you need her for something? Ask one of the other girls to help you, dear."

"I was going to ask if she could be my personal handmaid, she does my hair just how I like it," said Sophia, trying to hold back the tears, her voice nearly breaking.

"I could ask the girls to line up later if you'd like, take your pick of them..?" asked her mother obligingly.

Sophia turned, walking hurriedly away before she lost control. "No its fine, thank you, Mother," she called as airily as possible over her shoulder before running back up the stairs to her chambers, tears burning her eyes. Once the door was locked, Sophia allowed herself to cry, the pain in her chest as acute as her passion had been the previous night. Their lovemaking had been an awakening for Sophia and it was unthinkable that the lovely Katherine was gone just as their adventure had begun.

She walked slowly to her dressing table and sat down heavily, stared at herself through bleary eyes, trying to blink away the tears. There, propped against the mirror, was small envelope sealed with a blob of wax, her name written on the front in delicate feminine script. She quickly broke the seal and removed the folded letter.

My Dearest Sophia,

By the time you read this I will be gone. I hope you will eventually forgive me for parting this way, with no goodbye but I feared if I should have to face you, I would have neither the strength nor resolve to leave. Though it breaks my heart to do this, to remain would mean danger for us both.

Our time together was divine, I mean that truly and I am not sorry for it but we risked too much to be together; I fear if we remained close, temptation would conquer us to our eventual ruin. Our world is cruel and some things just cannot be.

Please do not hate me too much for doing what I must. I will remember our time and our love forever.

Yours with purest love,

Katherine

With tears now falling freely, Sophia carefully refolded the letter, placed it back in the envelope and tucked it into her bodice. She knew Katherine was right, felt no hate toward her but the pain remained; lost love is never an easy thing, Sophia knew from the many poems that covered the subject. Katherine had been a revelation and she had learned much from the older girl, she would hold that dear if nothing else.

_____________________

The next person to play their part in Sophia's love life was Elizabeth, the youngest daughter of the family whose estate bordered their own. One of three girls, her two older sisters had already married Sophia's brothers, thus sealing the future of their own wealth within the coffers of the Ashburner family. She and Elizabeth, being only one year apart in age, had spent much of their childhood together, receiving schooling from the same teachers. As they had grown into adult women, Sophia found herself thinking often about the softness of Elizabeth's skin, the movement of her lips, the shape of her legs when she had seen them as they dressed or changed to swim, the way her blonde ringlets framed her cherubic face.

She had never entertained any real intention of seducing her nor even attempting to initiate anything. Elizabeth was a gossip and very much prone to overreaction and exaggeration, qualities Sophia found to be most vexing. She was pretty though, and from what she had glimpsed as they changed or dressed in each other's company, equally attractive naked.

So far as she was aware, Elizabeth knew nothing of her secret desires and as they walked hand in hand or sat cuddled together in front of the fire, it was with the apparent innocence of two best friends comfortable with the closeness of each other. After the loss of Katherine, Sophia would allow herself to indulge her private fantasies about Elizabeth with a growing lust. Eventually, of course, the pot would boil over and when it did, it would scold all in its vicinity.

On a cold October evening some six months after Katherine's sudden departure, Sophia and Elizabeth had stayed out later than usual to talk privately after watching the sun set over the lake. The moon was full and bright and by its light the ride home would be relatively safe. Elizabeth had been talking of marriage since she, like Sophia, was expected to soon choose a husband. She complained of the roughness of men, of both skin and beard, and Sophia thought she heard an erstwhile almost sad tone in her friend's voice. Agreeing with humour, she raised Elizabeth's hand to her lips and kissed it softly, but with lingering intent. Elizabeth, giggling, returned the kiss with her own lips upon Sophia's hand.

"You will find no softer touch than that of a woman," Sophia whispered, still holding Elizabeth's hand and stroking the fingers with her own. It had started as joke, in truth, but as she held the soft hand a small tingle began to grow in Sophia; a familiar tingle that almost casually guided her words. "Indeed you will find no softer touch than mine."

Still holding Sophia's hand, Elizabeth looked deep into her eyes for a long moment before speaking again.

"There I was thinking you were still pining for your lost maid," she said, holding fast her gaze.

Sophia flinched, the words a slap to wake her from her lustful thoughts. "What?" was all she could muster at the first attempt.

"No need to worry, I am fairly sure nobody noticed. Nobody but me of course," she said quite matter-of-factly. "No, I haven't told anyone, not that I think anyone would believe the 'perfect' Sophia could be such a deviant." She laughed lightly, genuinely amused.

Sophia regained some composure though she feared it too late to recover. "I have no idea what you are talking about," she said flatly, releasing Elizabeth's hand but maintaining eye contact.

"Please do not insult me," retorted the blonde, "I watched you watching her for a long time, the way your eyes followed her, the time you spent talking with her, a mere maid." Elizabeth was certainly a snob, cherishing her status most highly. "Then one night I saw her watching you, through dinner and most of the party; eyes following you when you walked by and secret looks between the two of you. Then suddenly she's gone and you spend the next three months sulking? I am surprised nobody noticed to be honest."

Sophia felt light-headed; of all the people that could know her secret, Elizabeth was the most likely to tell someone, her need for gossip outweighing her common sense on many occasions. There was only one detail her mind could pick out that might make a difference.

She went for broke. "Why is it you were watching me so closely anyway, if I may ask?"

Bold as she was, Elizabeth flushed and dropped her eyes for a moment. Sophia reached for her hand again and stroked it softly.

"I was jealous if you must know," said the blonde in a small voice. "There have been many times I longed for you as we sat cuddled together or walked hand in hand, just the two of us. There was a time, last summer, when we were caught in the rain and huddled beneath a tree. So close we were, I thought I would kiss you, confess my desire and you would smile and kiss me back...."

Sophia was astonished; she and Elizabeth had always been close but she never suspected her attraction. "I had no idea, you hid it well," she said quietly, still gently stroking her friend's fingers.

"After that day, I began to try and conceive of a way to make advances, watching you more closely to try and catch your eye and sometimes just for the pleasure of my own eyes. Then I saw it, the glint of lust as you watched your maid and those meaningful looks you shared when thinking you were not seen. Most would never notice but my jealousy made of me a keen observer." She looked up again, her eyes misted from the tears she held back.

Sophia said nothing, her mind whirling with both the knowledge of her friend's attraction to her and the fact that she knew her secret. She had no proof of it of course but it served as an example that Katherine had been right and eventually someone would have discovered their relationship. She looked at Elizabeth's pretty face, the blue eyes moist from emotion, the blonde ringlets falling past her round cheeks, the carefully painted lips; the light of the full moon gave her face an angelic quality and Sophia still nurtured her own attraction.

With her free hand she gently stroked Elizabeth's cheek and smiled. "If only I had known," she said simply, before cupping the cherubic cheek. The blonde maiden had not pulled away at this intimate touch and she slowly leaned in, drawing Elizabeth's face toward her as she did, until their lips met in gentle perfect symmetry. She felt her friend stiffen slightly, squeezed her hand for reassurance, then sensed her relax again. Their lips now melted together, parting slightly, as they kissed more firmly, exploring each other with lingering pressure.

After a few seconds, Elizabeth pulled back to once again search Sophia's eyes, trembling still but growing passion replacing her sadness. The blonde girl had a dreamy glaze to her eyes and, smiling, she leaned in again, this time putting her hand to Sophia's face to hold her while they kissed. Using just the tip of her tongue, she teased at her friend's lips a little, felt them part, felt the warmth of her soft mouth as her tongue gently met its opponent. The touch of tongues ignited a new passion and their kiss gained momentum, mouths seeking more of each other, dancing tongues becoming bolder. Sophia grew hot and her mind began to work on what to do next when, quite suddenly and without warning, Elizabeth pushed her to the ground on her back and threw herself on top of her.

A whirlwind of desire, Elizabeth kissed Sophia fiercely, her tongue pushing deeply but tenderly into her inviting mouth. She surrendered to the kiss, moving her hand to the back of the girl's head and pressing more, locking their mouths together. Almost a frenzy of passion seemed to consume Elizabeth and she gripped her friend tightly, her hips pushing into her as the breathless kiss continued. Then Sophia felt hands move to her bodice, deft fingers unlacing it, tugging at it urgently and uncertainty began to taint the all consuming passion the deep kiss had provoked. 'She wants to strip me here, no doubt herself as well,' she thought. 'If we are discovered here, naked together, we are finished.'

She removed her hand from the back of Elizabeth's head, tried to end the kiss but still in the grip of her lust, the blonde did not release her pressure and Sophia tried to talk within their joined mouths. Aware of something, Elizabeth's eyes flicked open and her mouth withdrew a little. Multiple threads hung for a moment between their parted lips as she raised her head impatiently.

"What is it?" she gasped, moist lips still brushing Sophia's, her hands still pulling at Sophia's bodice.

"If we are discovered like this, or worse, naked together, we are finished. They will send us away likely never to see the light of day again." She said, still breathless from the kiss.

"It was ok for you and your pretty maid, though?" she sounded impatient, irritated. "Oh, what's this?" She suddenly pushed herself up from Sophia and sat on her hips, legs straddling her. In her hand she held a small, slightly crumpled envelope.

In the grip of passion as Elizabeth had struggled with the lacing of her bodice, she had forgotten the note she still carried tucked within it. Her lustful friend's probing fingers had discovered it and Sophia felt a twinge of fear; Elizabeth was emotional, unpredictable and her reaction to the letter could not be foreseen.

"Please, Elizabeth, that's private," begged Sophia, reaching for the envelope. The blonde raised her hands out of reach as she slid the note out. She could have fought, wrestled the girl from her, tried to snatch the letter but with Elizabeth, the outcome of such a struggle could not be predicted. Likely the letter would be lost and they would have to explain why they had fought. So she lay still beneath her friend to await her reaction.

Elizabeth's face was a mask as she read the letter and Sophia had no clue what she may be thinking. Short as it was, the girl must have read it multiple times for the time it took before she carefully folded it, slid it back into the envelope and then tucked it into her own bodice.

"Can I have it back, please? It may seem like nothing to you but it's important to me," she asked softly.

"Maybe so. Maybe you won't need it when I've driven all memory of the lovely Katherine from your mind." Elizabeth spoke gently but as she began once more to unlace Sophia's bodice, her moonlit face looked almost manic. Sophia, her ardour now completely cold, felt that twinge of fear once more; in her lust and jealousy, Elizabeth seemed quite mad and she regretted allowing her own desire to surface.

Suddenly Sophia bucked her hips and rolled to the side, throwing Elizabeth from her and quickly pushed herself to her feet before the blonde girl could react. Growling, her former friend stood and moved toward her until they were nose to nose, bodies now pushing against each other. Without warning, Elizabeth kissed her wetly, swiftly, then pushed her back and turned, running wildly to her horse. She mounted quickly and kicked it into a gallop, riding toward the Ashburner house.

Sophia was now in a panic and cold fear gripped her. What was Elizabeth planning to do? The interaction between them all evening had been odd, even the passionate kissing had an almost manic energy. Now she had Katherine's note and driven by jealousy and madness, this would not end well. She mounted her own horse quickly and bade the startled mare run as fast as she would dare in the moonlight.

As they galloped away, a figure stepped from the shadow of the tree and stood for a few moments watching the receding horses, before dissolving once more into the night.

Elizabeth was a competent rider, her horse of fine stock and given the head-start there was no chance of catching her before she reached the house. Sophia arrived to see her already dismounted, the grooms running to take the reins of her excited mount as she dashed wildly through the front door. Not hesitating, the raven haired girl followed as fast as she was able, entering the house to hear Elizabeth already shouting in the library. Slowing her steps, Sophia entered behind her, catching the end of her sentence.

"...and the proof is in this letter!" She was almost shouting, her tear streaked face appearing feverish in the firelight as she leant to hand the envelope to Sophia's father, who was sitting next to the fire place.

"Calm yourself, Elizabeth; I am not taken with such drama." Her father seemed calm but confused as he took the proffered letter, remaining seated.

Sophia's Mother entered from the far end of the room, looking at her with questioning eyes but saying nothing. Shaking her head Sophia returned her attention to Elizabeth, slowly approaching behind her and placing her hands on the near hysterical girl's shoulders.

"Elizabeth, please...." she began but there was no calming her now.

"No, no, this must be known! I will not be silenced!" she cried the words, her strength of emotion brooking no debate. Sophia held her a little closer, a little tighter but Elizabeth shrugged her off, moving away.

"What do you know of this?" Her Father was on his feet now, nearly spilling his brandy as he shot out of the chair. His words were directed at Elizabeth. "Speak now!"

"She was in love with her maid. They liaised in secret thinking no-one saw them. Then Sophia took her to her bed and she, fearing their discovery, was forced to take her leave." She said it so simply, at first there was no reaction from anyone in the room, Sophia herself included. "She tried to seduce me this very night," continued Elizabeth, her voice shrill. "She is sick, I fear."

The revelations settled on the room and all eyes now turned to Sophia. She felt the blood drain from her face, thought she might fall. The room was spinning and Sophia could not make out the storm of words that came in a sudden torrent. Her father was beside himself, exhorting incredulous anger, her Mother ran toward her but it seemed in slow motion. She staggered, pushing away from Elizabeth, who now approached and turned her face about, looking from one angry face to another, hearing nothing but a distant echo. Then turning, she ran wildly from the room, through the still wide front door and out into the night.

She ran as fast as she could, past the stables and into the woods that stretched from the edge of the rear gardens. The moonlight was scattered under the trees and she couldn't see clearly but dared not slow her pace lest they see her direction, catch her. She had no idea where she was running, only that she mustn't be caught; she had no answers for the questions that would come and the life of misery those questions would lead to. Elizabeth had lost her mind somewhere between her jealousy and lust, of that she was certain. They had been friends from childhood and now the blonde girl was the architect of her ruin.

She could hear voices from the direction of the house and continued to run with reckless abandon. They called her name and she could hear the shouts of her Father, her Mother and Elizabeth among them. She dared not stop, dared not face them, could not think of what would happen should they catch her and force the truth of her perversion from her. Deeper into the woods now, the light was more scattered, the shadows deceptive and as she felt her lungs begin to burn with the exertion, her foot caught a root and she was flung headlong, falling heavily. Her head struck a low branch, ending her flight and turning out the light.

_

Sophia swam slowly back into consciousness. She could smell wood smoke, it was warm, she was lying on something soft wearing only her slip, light flickered, a cool hand touched her brow.... Flinching, she tried to sit, winced in pain and lay still as the hand moved to her shoulder to gently but firmly restrain her. She turned her head slightly to try and see the owner of the hand, drawing a small gasp from her own mouth as the action caused further pain. A figure sat next to the bed but silhouetted by the oil lamp in the corner of the room, she couldn't make it out.

"Lay still, Sophia, you had a nasty fall." A soothing, velvet female voice floated from the silhouette. "Tea is brewing, be patient and it will help." There was an accent to the voice she couldn't place, something lilting and exotic under the perfect English.

"Who are you? Where am I?" They seemed the most obvious questions to ask.

"My name is Militsa, though that will mean nothing to you and you are in my house, ten miles from your family home as the crow flies." Militsa's voice was soothing, melodic almost and in spite of her confusion and the questions clamouring to be asked, Sophia inexplicably felt she could trust the mysterious woman. "Ask your questions, the order matters not. I will answer them honestly as best I can. Remain still, though, you need to rest." She stood as she finished speaking, moved around the end of the bed and headed out of the door of the large bedroom. "I will fetch the tea while you decide which questions are of the most import."

Sophia could see her back illuminated by the lamp as she left the room; black velvet figure hugging dress, the flowing skirt almost to the floor, full length sleeves ending in a lacy flourish, ornate embroidery adorned the bodice and long, arrow straight hair as black as the dress hung down her back. So measured was the step, she seemed almost to float along the floor but Sophia glimpsed her feet beneath the dress, clad in black suede French heeled boots. Whoever this woman was, her clothing, the furniture and decor of the room she now occupied spoke of wealth, her measured step of class, the voice of education. Calming her mind with her observations, Sophia pondered the questions she would ask.