Hunting for the Right Note Pt. 01

Story Info
Finding the right notes in his life takes a Hunter's touch.
11.2k words
4.75
3.9k
12

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 02/09/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I know, I know. I should be working on TSI part 4, and I am, but there was so much running around in my head the past couple months, and the words just haven't been flowing for it. That changed recently, and I'm no longer flailing around trying to figure out how to piece the outline together. On top of that, I had a couple of my editors/guys who help me untangle ideas help me put this together. Thanks to my friends Mobin and Storm, you have helped add so much more to this world than I had ever planned to have. Even more so, I have set myself a goal, I want to actually write a full on book. Doesn't mean I won't write these things for free. I wouldn't do that to y'all, but the Veil Universe is going to be getting some more love than ever. I want to fulfill this childhood dream, to be a published author, and now, more than ever, it seems like I can actually do that. So thank you all as well for helping give me the confidence to do this.

Now, enough mushy stuff, as always, all characters in this story involved in sexual acts are over the age of 18.

Prologue

I glanced around as I stepped through the Veil, it always gave me the creeps. The feeling of changing from the world I lived into the world I didn't just felt wrong. I can't imagine what it was like for people who came from here to my world. I guess it wasn't as bad when crossing over to the side I lived on, at least, nobody ever complained about it. I looked around at the glade I had stepped into. It was cleared of trees, and at the center was a grand tower. I hated coming here, but I had a delivery to make. Hefting a bag over my shoulder, I made my way into the area. I felt the breeze try and ruffle my hair, but it was matted and sticky with blood, thankfully not my own... this time.

"Why couldn't they have sent some newbie, but no, I found this fucking thing, so I have to bring it here, I needed a shower before I even thought about this crap..."

I finally got to the door of the tower, and started banging on it with a closed fist. I was hitting it hard enough that if this were a normal door, I probably would have knocked it off its hinges, but I knew from experience that I would never be heard if I didn't hit this one like I wanted in.

"Hey Vergil, come open this fucking door before I knock it in, again!"

I shouted at the owner of the tower, continuing my knocking until the door was ripped open. There stood the man I had dubbed Vergil. He looked insanely like the guy from the Devil May Cry games, spikey white hair, blue trench coat, and a katana. Though his cheeks and jawline weren't quite the same, nonetheless, they were similar. This man before me was Alistair Aldion, a guardian of dangerous artifacts and objects. From things that could destroy a couple city blocks, all the way to apocalypse class things, and everything in between.

"How many times do I have to tell you to stop comparing me to that ridiculous character! Didn't your mother ever teach you anything?"

Ok, that one actually made me mad. Mom had taught me all sorts of things, and I didn't exactly like what he was insinuating. So, like any other person who was offended, I jabbed back.

"Well, when will you update your wardrobe to actually dress differently from him? Didn't your mother teach you how to dress yourself?"

Alistair glared at me, and placed his hand on the hilt of his blade, when a chuckle interrupted him. Walking up behind him was a man I had dubbed Dante, and just like his twin standing before me, he resembled the famous main character in looks, fashion choice, and weapon. His real name was Ambrose, but he was actually flattered to be compared to 'that complete fuckin badass'. Ambrose was far more laid back than Alistair ever could hope to be, which is why I preferred to do my drop offs with him. He was just more fun to be around. I didn't dislike Alistair per se, he just got on my nerves more easily. Ambrose laid a hand on Alistair's shoulder, and the blue themed twin released his blade with a sigh. The red twin grinned at me then, leaning against the doorframe as he held out a fist, which I bumped, as was customary for us.

"What brings you by Graves? Got something new for us?"

I nodded, and reached into the bag, pulling out a small potted plant with beautiful golden flowers. I saw both their eyes harden when they saw it. Good, I didn't have to give them a long winded rundown.

"Found it when I was investigating a couple defamed scientists. They were trying to use it to figure out the other ingredients needed for the Brew of Timelessness. Dumbasses used the stem instead of the flower, and ended up attracting the attention of a star god."

I saw Ambrose grimace, he was the more expressive one of the two, but I was sure both understood that meant that the scientists had been transformed into an eldritch abomination. It took most of my skills just to play 'hide and don't die' with it. Finally, I managed to put it down, but I was still coated in fluids I would much rather not be covered in. Thankfully, I was allowed to change into a spare set of clothes before my boss sent me to deliver this plant immediately. Not even enough time to get the crud from my hair or under my fingernails. Alistair took the plant from me with a sigh.

"I'll keep it safe then, does your master want anything from it down the line?"

I shrugged. I had no idea, there was a chance, but I seriously doubted it would be necessary in my lifetime. Alistair handed the thing to Ambrose. The red twin took it into the tower to where I assumed they kept a greenhouse. Alistair turned to leave, but before he could I called out.

"Hey, mind if I use your shower? I'd use the one at home, but my girlfriend is already pissed at me leaving for work so quickly, and would go absolutely ballistic if I come back covered in star demon juices."

He nodded, gesturing for me to follow behind him. We made our way towards some guest quarters, and I absently noted their younger sister, Allison, was reading in a large armchair, still in maid clothes for some reason. She didn't acknowledge us as we passed. I guess she was mad at the twins for one reason or another. Finally, we reached the room, and I got cleaned. It sucked getting dried blood from my hair, at least they had one of those nail brushes I could use to get it off my fingers. This would hopefully keep another fight from breaking out, but I really should know better by now...

*************************************

Chapter 1

My fingers danced up and down the frets of my Fender, eyes closed as I lost myself in the music. I was back home after another fight with my girlfriend. I don't even know what started it, she was happy I was back home, and wouldn't be gone for a while. After we ate dinner together, we cuddled up to watch TV. Then, before I knew what was happening, we were shouting, everything leading up to it was a blur. What wasn't was the topic. My job, I worked an odd job, with odd hours, at very sudden times. If I got called in, I would have to stop whatever I was doing, and go. Often, I would be gone for a few days, but it paid excellently. Not many other jobs a twenty-four year old could get that had the chance of a ten thousand plus dollar paycheck at the end of work that were also one hundred percent legal.

This happened every couple months or so, something petty would turn into a fight, we'd be apart for a few days, but she would calm down and call me saying she was sorry. After that we'd get back together after some amazing make up sex. This time though, I hadn't just gone to a friend's place to crash. I drove almost two hours back home to Fort Myers. It felt good to be away, and even better to have my guitar back in my hands. I hadn't played it in a couple years or so after being told to leave it at home. Myrlla, my on-again-off-again girlfriend, said it hurt her ears. Made sense, kind of, she was a lamia, and her ears were a bit sensitive. So, to try and keep her happy, I left it at home and didn't play rock or metal out loud while we were together.

Mine weren't sensitive like hers were, and unlike her, I could use a little bit of magic to dampen it. It was something mom had taught me when I showed an interest in playing music like she did. I was kind of happy she wasn't home when I got here. I didn't feel like explaining why I had driven here so suddenly. She was probably out dealing with a necromancer or some other idiot who raises the dead.

Mom's name is Threya, and she adopted me as a baby alongside having her own kid. She is a Soul Reaper, specifically a Soul Hunter, someone who deals with violent spirits who refuse to pass on to the afterlife, or people who try and summon the dead, along with feral undead or demons. It meant she could disappear at a moment's notice for work, but would be back home before too long. I think the longest she was ever gone while we were growing up was five days, and then we had some family friends keep an eye on us. She was amazing, especially since she was a single mother. The best mom I could ever ask for, really. She even took some of her power and cultivated it in me, giving rise to my pitch black hair and rose colored eyes, along with the longevity she had.

A big perk of being a Reaper's kid, other than her not being gone too long or too frequently, was that we really didn't have to worry about much. Death pays his Reapers very well, along with some pretty awesome benefits, and Hunters made even more because of the dangers involved. Those were all significantly increased because mom was practically Death's right hand. I was waiting on either her to get home, or...

"What the fuck are you doing here, asshole?"

I mentally sighed at the harsh words. That would be Chloe, my sister, she was born a couple months before I was, and mom's blood daughter. That little fact never came up until we were both adults, and mom never treated me any less, even if Chloe and I both knew that something was off. To mom, I was her son, Chloe was her daughter, we were a family, that's all that really mattered. The fact that she was the older one between us was something she always made fun of me for, even as kids. She and I weren't the closest, really ever, especially after I briefly dated one her friend's back in high school. Something about girl code or whatever. I didn't really care, as she was ten times angrier at her then former friend for breaking my heart. Our relationship could be summed up as, "you against me, but us against the world." Essentially, we could, and would, pick on each other, all the time, but that was something between us and us alone. When she had some jock slap her ass back during our senior year, I kicked his ass so hard his kids would feel it. When a rich bitch ex of mine started spreading rumors about me, Chloe showed her exactly who's brother she was fucking with. It was an odd dynamic. We cared about each other, obviously, but we were still siblings who were close in age. Shit just happens. At the end of the day, however, we had each other's backs. I had helped put her back together after a few hard breakups, she helped me get through some of my harder classes.

I ignored her, and moved from the From Ashes to New I was fingering and dove straight into some of Divide's heavier songs. No thinking, just playing, letting the anger and hurt flow from me as I murmured the chorus to 'Beyond Human'. It helped, kind of, until Chloe walked over and unplugged me from my amp.

"I said, what the fuck, are you doing here."

I finally opened my eyes, and met hers. Chloe was shorter than me, five-six to my five-eleven. She was fit, nothing really crazy, where I was slightly ripped, with muscles designed for speed and combat. Both of our muscles were denser, mine were just more cut, like I did CrossFit. Her hair was a bone white, in contrast to my jet black, and her eyes were a neon blue, a counter to my pinkish ones. Her skin was a cream color, opposed to my naturally tanned look. We were opposite color palettes, but it worked out, I guess. People often thought we weren't related, and I guess we weren't, by blood. If we hadn't been raised together, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up as a couple, she was definitely hot. Maybe the reason we didn't get along the best was because we were so similar, I thought, but that wasn't for right now, maybe later when I finally could stop thinking about Myrlla.

"That bitch do another number on you?"

Chloe's voice was a bit softer now, less of the demanding edge she had before. I shook my head as I loosely gripped the neck of my guitar. She had never really approved of my choices in girlfriends, and Myrlla was a pretty big wedge between us. Myrlla didn't like my sister, thought she was a bitch, Chloe hated Myrlla because she 'felt off'. After that fight, Myrlla insisted we move away, for college, she'd said. This led to me not coming home in ages because I was dumb. I chose the girl who I had fairly hot sex with over a real support system that I had back here. I guess now I knew why Chloe said she was bad for me.

Chloe rolled her eyes and took my guitar from me, putting it back in its stand. Then, she grabbed my hand and pulled me off my chair.

"C'mon, let's get you looking presentable for when mom comes home. Your eyes are bloodshot and you generally look like someone shot your dog."

I followed along behind her, into the main house where she pushed me into our old bathroom, telling me in no uncertain terms to 'make myself look alive again'. It took me ten minutes or so, but I scrubbed my face and got myself somewhat put back together. When I left the bathroom, Chloe was sitting in my desk chair, picking something from beneath her fingernails.

"You really should end things with that cunt, she's strangling you."

There it was, these exact words caused us to get into a fight the last time I was home, almost a year ago. I never fully understood why she was so angry about Myrlla and I, I'd say it was jealousy, but jealous of what?

"You don't know her like I do, she's-"

Chloe was in my face in an instant, her furious blue eyes inches from my own. Her hand wrapped in my collar as she yanked me in, crashing our foreheads together.

"She keeps doing this shit, even before you moved away. Dump. Her. Ass."

I shoved her away from me with a shout. Several emotions blending together to create rage and I just snapped. The words from my mouth flowing from somewhere deep in my mind that I kept locked away and buried. But as my emotions spiraled out of control, I just let them all out.

"You think I don't know that?! That she's slowly killing me?! We've been together so long; I don't fucking know if I can fucking stand on my own again!"

That was when Chloe's hand came up and cracked me across the face in a vicious fronthand. The pain snapped me out of my rage as she grabbed my collar with both hands and reeled me in once again.

"You fucking shitstain! You've stood on your own for fucking years without her. Fucking moron."

She shoved me away, my legs bumping into my old bed as I fell onto it. She turned away from me as her hair fanned out violently behind her.

"Pull yourself together loser, put on that happy little smile you faked last time you were here, mom will be home in an hour or so. I need to clear my head."

With that, she made her way out the door, grumbling something under her breath. I picked myself off my bed, rubbing my stinging cheek the entire time. She was right, I needed to get myself back in order, or else mom might just go kill Myrlla for hurting her son. I decided that maybe it was time for a shower, some hot water to clear the mind sounded perfect.

*************************************

Chapter 2

Mom's arrival home was about as I expected, she wrapped her arms around my neck and buried me in her chest. It wasn't that hard, because she was over six feet tall, taller than me, and towering over Chloe. She was incredibly happy to see me, hugging me as if I would disappear if she let go. Chloe was still angry with me, but I guess mom assumed we got into another of our normal fights, which I guess it was. Mom had long, dark purple hair, almost black really, and was pretty well endowed. That was why I was currently suffocating, and if it wasn't my own mother, well it would be a perfect way to go. She also had her one tattooed arm wrapped around my back; it had a sleeve made of various butterfly species. For some reason, mom loved them, and they were useful for work, but that was beside the point, as my vision was slowly turning black.

After nearly choking me out, we got some Chinese carryout for dinner. We got our usual orders, and were sat around the coffee table in the living room. It felt good, whenever mom came back from a job, she'd get Chinese takeout. It was just routine, something I desperately needed right now.

"Not that I'm not happy to see you honey, but what brings you home? I thought you'd be busy with work and that girl you're dating."

Mom asked, picking at her orange chicken. Chloe was passive aggressively eating her cashew chicken, doing her best to look anywhere but at me. I set down my own box, some Mongolian beef, before I answered. I had to be careful, because mom was rather protective of us both, and if she found out that I was home because Myrlla and I were fighting? Well, the lamia would probably have a lethal accident involving a bisection. It didn't matter if I was still mulling over permanently ending things with her, I didn't want her dead, yet. Not like she cheated on me.

"Well, she and I are considering breaking up. I wanted to get away and think about it somewhere not near her. Hadn't been home in a while, so I figured it was as good a time as any."

I heard Chloe mutter something into the bite of food she just brought up to her mouth. It sounded like she had just said something along the lines of 'pussy'. I looked over to her with a glare, at the moment, I wasn't sure where my heart was leading me. So I came to the place I knew I could let it out and truly listen to what it was saying.

"Got something to say to my face, bitch?"

I knew I made a mistake, as I felt the air turn to ice. My back went rigid as eyes shifted to my mother, who was looking at me with a sickeningly sweet smile.

"Jason Mori Graves, I'm sure I misheard you, you know there is no fighting at dinner, and my wonderful son would never be such an uncouth brute as to do that."

I quickly looked down and muttered an apology before digging back into my beef. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Chloe smirk as I got chewed out, but mom wasn't done yet.

"And you, young lady, you know better than to instigate things, especially as your brother just got home."

Now it was my turn to hide a smirk and Chloe made her own muttered apology. After that, topics turned much lighter, thankfully mom steered the conversation away from work as much as she could. She knew what I was doing, had even trained me to be a Soul Hunter when I signed up, but Chloe didn't know any of that. She used to get angry when I said I was going to follow in mom's footsteps, didn't like the thought of me being a Hunter, said it was too dangerous. She wasn't wrong, it was dangerous, but that was what made it exciting. Mom and I agreed that to keep fighting to a minimum, we would keep this between the two of us.

Our organization wasn't the most well-known to the public, but people knew about hunters. We were kind of like the CIA, people knew we existed, but what they didn't know was the who, or how deep our organization ran. This was also why I never could tell Myrlla, it was a big no-no to just tell someone who wasn't already somewhat involved in the life. Undead knew about us, had to, really, and if you were the immediate family of a Hunter, you were given a pass, but just dating someone didn't give them that right.