All Comments on 'I Glasgow'

by FunkyFreak

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
capecod2010capecod2010about 4 years ago
Yum...

This 53-year-old man man absolutely loves your writing is begging for more..

MaonaighMaonaighabout 4 years ago
Intriguing

A strange and intriguing little piece, certainly well-written with some good descriptive work at the start. I liked the image of Sauchiehall Street feeling like "...[an] old duffle-coat, shabby and worn..." I wonder why you found it necessary to write the word I think is meant to be 'animalistic' with asterisks---it's not a word likely to cause great offence to anyone (unless it has particularly painful connotations for you). Still, overall, good work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Well done

You definitely have writing talent and have created intriguing characters. I'd love to read more about them!

sandy_parissandy_parisabout 4 years ago

Excellent and I also hope there is more. Love the images of Glasgow. Nice work 5*

MartinHerreraMartinHerreraabout 4 years ago

Feverishly exciting...

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
SORRY .......

........ but the first two paragraphs just put me off.

I didn`t bother reading beyond that.

This "woke" and apologist generation mentality is getting beyond a joke.

Too many disparaging comments about one of the most beautiful (if imperfect) cities on the planet in two paragraphs.

Glasgow has some of the most impressive buildings to be found anywhere, and not all of them were built as a result of slavery!!

I am all for EQUALITY for everyone without exception, but your opening paragraphs were disgustingly simplistic and without reference to the times or causes.

It read like an apology from all Glaswegians for things that we had NOTHING to do with.

FunkyFreakFunkyFreakalmost 3 years agoAuthor

Interesting, as an anonymous user you judge on a fraction of the whole. Had you cared to read a little further it would have been apparent that my description of my hometown was in actual fact a description of the situation I’d found myself in some years before my homecoming. Therefore I’d suggest you are more “woke” than anyone else!

alexwatson62alexwatson626 months ago

Sorry, but I have to side with "anonymous" on this one.

As a Glaswegian, I also have to point out that not all of Glasgows tenements were built with "slave" money, in fact most were built from the 1950`s onwards.

Even for first chapter it has put me off reading on.

Far too depressing all round.

Rightly or wrongly (wrongly imho), slavery was at one point in time perfectly legal, and it was the British, including most Scots, who were the first to make it illegal.

Sadly it persists even today, with three or four cultures in particular being responsible, and one of them being the ORIGINAL slave owners!!

There is a lot wrong with Glasgow, but your start implies that prostitution, "cutting" and mental health issues are "normal" in the city, when in fact Glasgow is almost universally recognised as being one of the most welcoming cities in the world.

Unlike "anonymous" however, I will put my name to my comment.

This is a critisism of the story, NOT you as a person :)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userFunkyFreak@FunkyFreak
Been a member before and I just kinda miss the place. Won’t be on the forums much this time though as it gets a wee bit headachy there for me. Gonna post up a couple of my old stories and try and write some new stuff. If you think you remember me, say hello 😘