I Knew They Were Fucking

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Where would it be best to work?"

"The conference room, I suppose. I'll bring some files for you to look at and get an idea of how we do things."

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow morning at nine."

"Fine." And she left, but not before tripping on the edge of an area rug and almost falling. She looked at me. "Don't say a word!"

I didn't.

The next morning she used a two-wheeled dolly to bring in several boxes of files. We set up in the conference room and worked relatively peacefully all morning. Had lunch; separately, then worked all afternoon. At the end of the day, she said she would be back in the morning to continue. I informed her I had a real job to do and that I would call her when I had more time to work on the tutor project.

On Thursday of that week, I called her and asked if she were available the next day. She was and we worked the same as before.

That went on for two weeks, she and I worked, comparatively peacefully two days a week. The following week, she suggested we talk to one of the sources of funds we had. I agreed and she set up a lunch for us. I was surprised to see Cynthia show up at the restaurant. A very, very pregnant, Cynthia I might add. I had forgotten about her.

Chris introduced us and Cynthia told her that we already knew each other and that we were old friends. "In fact, it was Paul who left the furniture in your driveway you may recall"

"Oh, I recall, but I had forgotten that it was your company."

I basically sat back while the two of them discussed budgets and targets and tutors and shit. When they were finished and we were ready to go, Cynthia asked me if I had seen Susie.

"No. Should I have?"

"Not necessarily. She's dating a really nice guy."

"Good for her."

There was a bit more chitchat before Chris and I were in my car on our way back to the office.

"Is that your baby?" she asked.

I looked at her. "What in the world prompted you to ask that?"

"I know you used to fuck her, so I assumed......"

"How do you know that?"

"I watched her watching you."

"What the hell does that mean?"

"It means she wants to fuck you again."

"Not in this lifetime... or any other."

"How did she do it?"

"Do what?"

"Piss you off."

"I don't think that's any of your business."

"If you won't tell me, she will."

"Then let her."

There was a long pause.

"The Susie she mentioned. Is that the Susie who works in her store?"

"Yes."

"Did you fuck her, too?"

"What's the matter? Are you jealous?"

"Ha! Jealous? Don't even think about it."

"Susie and I were just friends."

There was a pause before she spoke again. "I don't see a ring. Are you married?"

"No.

"Have you ever been married?"

"Yes. Have you?"

"No. Why did you get divorced?"

"She cheated."

It was quiet the rest of the way to the office.

Things changed after that. We had worked pretty well together, but it got even better. She was attentive, and she thought most of my ideas were pretty good. I even started liking her and making excuses to spend more time with her. Finally, I couldn't handle the dual workload so I went to the boss and told him. He told me to work with Chris and he would make sure my other work was done, that it would only be another couple of weeks of the hard stuff, then I should be able to handle it in five or six hours a week.

Chris and I started seeing each other socially. Dinners. Dancing. Piano bars. Everything but sex. I tried a couple of times but was told in no uncertain terms that was a non-starter. Our time together was still fun, however; until it wasn't.

We had finished with the planning portion of the project and we had discussed telling her father that it now only needed one person to actually run it. She had left the conference room and her father called wanting to see me, so I went to his office. I had just started into his reception area to update him and I heard her voice.

"He must not have any real interpersonal skills, otherwise he wouldn't have lost two women." I heard Chris say.

"Really?" I recognized the voice of Mr. Johansen's secretary.

"I feel sorry for him, so I'm spending time with him to build up his self-esteem."

"Good for you. He's really a nice guy."

"Yeah, and cute, too," said Chris. "He's funny, intelligent, and fun to be around."

"He just needs a little work?"

Christine laughed. "Yes. He needs a little work."

At that point, I walked in. I knew they were talking about me, and they looked up when I entered. "Boy, am I glad my self-esteem is fine. I feel sorry for the poor slob you two were talking about. For a second, I thought it might be me, but realized you, Christine, would tell me if I needed 'a little work'."

"Uh, shit. Paul, I'm sorry. I was, uh...."

"But speaking for men everywhere, thank you for your efforts on his behalf. I know he would thank you himself if he knew what you were doing for him." I looked directly at Christine. "Since you are so concerned about the other guy, you don't have to spend any more time with me. You can concentrate on him." She stammered a bit and turned red. "I came to update your father." She tried to speak but just sounds came out. With that I went in his office with her close on my heels.

"Oh, good. Both of you are here," he said. "How about an update."

I started before she could. "We've reached a point where only one of us is needed, and since Christine is experienced, I think it should be her. That way I can get back to my regular job."

"Do you agree, Chris?" he asked.

She looked at me before answering. "Probably."

I never looked at her, but I could feel her eyes on me, and I could see his eyes shifting from me to her. He wasn't in the position he was in because he was stupid. "Okay. Both of you take the rest of the day off. I'll think about it and let you know Monday. Chris, if you could stay for a minute, Paul, have a nice weekend."

"Thank you." I was out of the building in less than five minutes.

It would have been very easy to stay home that weekend and feel sorry for myself, but I didn't. My best friend Tony and his wife, Sofia, were going out of town and asked if I wanted to watch my Goddaughter, Diana. Of course I said yes, packed an overnight bag and headed for their house.

It was a fun weekend. I did what godparents and grandparents are supposed to do; spoil your charges rotten and then give them back to their parents. We did everything she wanted to do until Sunday evening when her parents returned and I went home.

Christine tried to call me half a dozen times Friday afternoon and evening, same on Saturday, but only twice on Sunday. I wasn't looking forward to going to work Monday, but I didn't want to delay a confrontation either. As I usually did, I went to my office first to clean up anything I had gotten over the weekend, then to the conference room. She was already there and working so I turned and went back to my office.

Just before the end of the workday, I was summoned to her father's office; she was already there.

"Okay. I've decided. Chris, it's all yours. Paul, you're back to work at your regular job for the most part, but I want you to help Chris on an as needed basis. I also want you to help her recruit more tutors and find more kids who need us. There are plenty of both of those out there. Let's find them and get them together."

We acknowledged his decision and returned, in silence, to the conference room. When there, I started closing down my part of the job and explained its status to Christine. She nodded, but said nothing. When I finished, I went to the door, opened it, and started to leave.

"Paul." I stopped, turned, and looked at her. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said."

I looked at her. "No interpersonal skills, Christine? Have you any idea how devastating that was to hear? And then to hear that the only reason you were spending time with me was because you felt sorry for me?" I shook my head. "The other women just broke my heart. You destroyed my soul." Tears were in her eyes and she was sobbing before I could walk out the door.

I spent the rest of the week in my office playing catch-up and never saw Christine.

It was like that for the next month. I buried myself in my work and ignored everything else. Then I was asked into Mr. Johansen's office.

"Paul, I have a situation, but first I want to tell you that the work you did with Chris has been great. Early results are in and it looks like lots of kids will be receiving lots of help. Thank you. I'm working on the next step and I will probably be asking for your input if not your assistance."

"Thank you."

"Now to my situation. Robby Singlaub resigned today, so I need a Manager in the Planning Division. The job calls for someone with an MBA. You don't have one, but on one hand you do have the talent, knowledge and leadership ability. On the other, if I promote you above a couple of others, I will be accused of favoritism because of the outside work you did for me and the fact that there is a rumor going around about you and my daughter." I had heard the rumor, and two guys in my section had even mentioned it openly. I thought so little of it that I never even responded when they did. "So, I'm between a rock and a hard place. You and I both know there is nothing between you and her, but rumors never seem to be able to be squelched, despite overwhelming proof to the contrary."

Mr. Johansen had come from Barnes, a competing company. Even when he was their CEO they sought to recruit me, and I had received overtures from them as recently as two weeks prior to that meeting with him.

"Let me pose a hypothetical to you," I suggested. "Barnes has asked me to join their staff as their Planning Division Manager; the same job you're talking about here. You have at least two qualified candidates for the position. Why don't I take Barnes's offer? That would solve a couple of problems."

"The hell it would. Barnes would be getting the better of the deal, so that option is not on the table unless you out and out resign; which I'm hoping you won't." We sat in silence for a while. "What happened with you and Chris, anyway? I thought you were getting along fine."

I chuckled. "As you know, we started off wrong, but managed to get a bit friendlier for a while."

"So what happened? She won't talk about it."

"It doesn't matter. What's done is done."

"Okay. To hell with it. You're the new Planning Division Manager effective immediately. That makes you the youngest manager of any division this company has ever had. HR will go over your new salary and benefits and you'll move into Singlaub's old office; it's the only other corner office on the seventh floor. I think you'll like it, and you can either keep his secretary or find one of your own. Tell maintenance and logistics if you want any changes made."

"Thank you. I'm honored."

"Don't thank me yet. You're going to be working your ass off. And by the way, Division Managers and spouses or guests are having dinner at my house on Friday at 6:30. Black tie."

I'll be there, but have neither spouse nor guest."

"Good enough," he said.

I arrived at his house at 6:15 and was ushered into the livingroom. I took the offered house aperitif and wandered around chatting with the other guests. I looked in the dining room and saw that each place had a name plate. The name plate on the right of my seat had the name Christine Johansen.

I was staring at it when I felt a presence at my side. I looked and it was her. "My mother is a stickler for boy-girl, boy-girl seating at formal dinners, so I was drafted. I'm sorry. I will talk as little as possible.

She and I didn't speak through the appetizer, but I began to feel a bit embarrassed ignoring her, so started making small talk before we were finished with the salad course. A couple of times, I found myself glancing at her and wondering why I had never noticed how attractive she was.

She excused herself after dessert was served and I never saw her the rest of the evening.

My first month at my new job was not as bad as I thought it might be, and I started relaxing a bit.

One morning, my secretary came in and told me that Christine Johansen had called asking for an appointment. "I gave her one for tomorrow morning, but I was wondering if she needed one or if, being who she is, she could just walk in."

My first thought was the rumor mills were still at work and had reached my secretary. "What do you mean her being who she is?" I asked.

There was nothing in her voice or demeanor to indicate she meant anything other than what she then said. "I didn't know if being the CEO's daughter gave her special dispensation."

I grinned at her. "Do you think it should?"

She grinned back. "Absolutely."

"Then so do I. Call her back and tell her she's free to stop by anytime, and I will see her the moment I'm available."

Her grin became a laugh and she returned to her desk.

The next morning at her scheduled time, Christine was announced, and I stood as she came in. "Good morning," I said as I indicated she should sit. "What may I do for you?"

"Do you remember Cynthia from the charity store?"

"I do indeed. You thought I was the father of her baby."

She turned pink. "I didn't think that. I just wondered if you were."

"So what about her?"

"She wants to host a Barbeque for some of her biggest partners and she's asked you and me to attend; so I was wondering if you might be available." I started to say something, but she interrupted me. "Paul please don't say anything like 'wouldn't I be embarrassed by your lack of interpersonal skills'. You know I wouldn't and I regret having said it. It wasn't true then and it isn't true now. I can't explain why I chose those words but I wish I hadn't. I think I was just trying to make myself look good to Daddy's secretary, but I did say it and I can't take it back. I can only apologize."

I looked at her and she was trying to hold back tears. "When?" I asked. She told me, and I checked my calendar. I was available. "I'll meet you there." I told her.

She started to say something else, but decided against it.

The day of the barbeque came and I was there. Joseph was manning the grill while Cynthia and Susie shared hostess duties. When Christine arrived, Susie took our arms and introduced us to some other 'partners' and was effusive with her praise about our contribution to the program. Christine knew most of the people there.

As soon as I thought I could get away with it, I headed to where Joseph was grilling burgers. We were chatting away and sipping on beers when Susie joined us. "How have you been?" she asked.

"Great. How about you?"

"Not too bad." She answered.

We chatted until Christine joined us. "May I get you another drink?" she asked.

"No, thank you. I've done my duty and am going home." I took the last drink of my beer and tossed it in the nearest trash bin, reached to shake hands with Joseph, said goodbye to him, Susie, and then Christine and started to leave. I was almost at my car when I felt my arm being pulled. I turned and it was Christine.

"We need to talk," she said.

"We have nothing to talk about."

"Yes, we do. I said I was sorry for what I said. It isn't true and I regret having said it."

"Okay. Apology accepted. NOW we have nothing to talk about." I walked away before she said anything else. Sitting next to her at dinner, looking at her and recognizing her good looks was one thing, but I still had the words, "He must not have any interpersonal skills, otherwise he wouldn't have lost three women." And "I feel sorry for him, so I'm spending time with him to build up his self-esteem." were burned into my psyche and, I feared, would be there for a long time.

I had nothing to do with her for three months. My office was on the same floor as her father, but at opposite ends of the building. I heard she had been given an office on the fifth floor where the accounting offices were, so I rarely saw her.

One time I was on the elevator going down. I was the only one on it and it stopped at the fifth floor. The door opened and she stood there. She looked in saw me, and stepped back. "I'll take the next one," she said.

I reached and held the door open. "That's crazy. Get in here."

She stepped in and we rode in silence to the garage level. We each had private parking spaces. Mine had my name on it and hers had 'Reserved'. Our silence continued as we made our ways to our cars.

Another month went by. I was sitting in my office when my secretary ushered in two police officers. She had a big grin.

"Mr. Morris, you have to go with us," said one of the officers.

I was stunned. "Why?"

"For the tutor program. Someone has signed a warrant for your arrest and you have to stay in custody until your bail is paid."

The tutor program was having a fund raiser and some fake arrests were being made until family and friends of the arrested person donated enough to pay bail. I was not allowed to pay my own. I laughed and went with them. They took me to the retail store and told me to sit in a roped off area with other "arrestees". Our deputy mayor and one of the most popular local TV personalities were already there. The TV personality was actually doing a remote broadcast to promote the fund raiser as part of her arrest. She started interviewing me and asked who had me arrested.

"I have no idea."

"Well," she said pointing the microphone in my face. "This is your chance to ask your family and friends to donate enough to get you out of here."

I laughed, took the microphone, looked into the camera and copped a plea to anyone who would listen. They wouldn't tell me how much I had to raise, however.

In our "Jail" area, there was plenty of food and drink and comfortable places to sit and every 15 minutes, they would tell each of us how much had been donated in our names. I was enjoying myself and the TV lady, whose name was Julie, and I had fun. She went live on the air every 15 minutes asking for people to donate her bail money. I had been there a couple of hours when Susie walked by, saw me, and started laughing.

"Who had you arrested?" she asked.

"I have no idea."

She stood there and we chatted for a couple of minutes.

A couple of minutes later I heard the bailiff say, "You're free to go Mr. Morris."

Julie gave me her card with her cell number on it. "Call me and we'll talk about having served time together."

I smiled and walked out. The same two police officers who arrested me took me back to my office.

I have my own private entrance, so Shirley, my secretary, only knew I was there when I told her; which I usually did by coming out and getting a cup of coffee. I had opened my door to do exactly that when I heard her talking.

"It was so funny when they came to get him. He laughed the whole time, and wanted to know who had him arrested." Pause. "No way. I wasn't going to tell him it was you. He would kill us both." Pause. "No, I haven't heard from him. When are you going to bail him out?" Pause. "Oh, you did? When?" Then she laughed. "No, I haven't seen him, but I don't think he'll agree to it." Pause. "Well, good luck. Let me know what happens." She ended the call and started to work but looked up and saw me. "Oh, you're back."

I smiled and confirmed that I was, in fact, back, turned and went back into my office. I had just sat at my desk when she came in and stood. "Was it okay?" she asked.

"Of course. It was almost fun."

She grinned. "Christine told me she was going to have you arrested for the charity thing. She said she was going to pay your bail if you agreed to have dinner with her." I couldn't help but laugh and told her there was no chance of that happening. Her phone rang and she went to answer it, leaving the door open.

"No. In fact he was laughing about it." Pause. "I think it's a lost cause, Christine, but it's up to you. Good bye and good luck." She stood, closed the door and went back to work.