Ice Melts, When It's Hot Ch. 09

Story Info
“People change: even satan used to be an angel.”
25.2k words
4.91
2k
5

Part 9 of the 9 part series

Updated 03/15/2024
Created 07/28/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hello my beautiful readers!

Surprise :D I'm 99.9% sure this is the longest chapter I've ever written for any story. Extra special thank you's to the one's that have been here from the beginning. I can't believe people are still waiting for more. It really warms my heart. Thank you to everyone for the love and comments. They mean so much to me!

Question: There are journals mentioned in this story. Should I a) have the character's talk about the journals and Alistar's intentions only OR

b) give Alistar a part of the story where we see things from his pov?

Please answer in the comments <3

**Important: At this point, I do have to recommend reading all three stories (True Nature, The Only Exception and this one) to understand the full context of everything that will go on in this chapter. Things are about to get fairly intertwined. I do apologize to anyone that would prefer not to read all three. I tried very hard to make them stand alone stories/spin offs of each other and I failed because they're more in line with a trilogy. If you prefer not to read all three of them, then I'm sorry if some things are possibly confusing and/or seem irrelevant.

Second note: there is a character named Alistar in True Nature but I spelled it differently (Alastor) and that's my bad. They are the same person. Just so there's no confusion. I just fucked up. In all stories the spelling should be Alistar and will be from now on.

Tw: mentions of abuse, past and present.

**FYI: just to be extra crystal clear, absolutely nothing sexual happens to Willow during his "Luna Training" years and it's not my intention to make it seem like something of that nature happened. Remember, Willow has been kept fairly pure and innocent until his ceremony with Maxwell.**

Much love, xx

*******

Willows Pov:

It was a light knock on the door that woke me. I turned in the bed, expecting to feel Maxwell's warm body next to me but sat up immediately when I felt the cold space instead. I was alone again.

"There's always something he'd rather do than stay here," I bitterly muttered to my wolf as I groggily looked around the room, noticing how dark it had gotten.

I felt vulnerable and disoriented without Maxwell beside me but if he asked I would never admit it. I turned my face to the door when I heard the insistent knocking again. Thinking it was only Maxwell on the other side, I swung the door open, ready to chastise him for leaving me alone.

"Why can't you just- who the fuck are you?!" I screamed in shock.

I quickly shut the door on the omega who was on the other side, then scrambled around for a blanket to cover my naked body. I opened the door again, wishing that I could use the blanket to hide my blushing cheeks as well.

"What do you want omega?" I asked crossly as I looked up at him. I disliked that an omega was inside my home, knocking on my mates bedroom door of all things, and I hated him even more for having to the nerve to be taller than me.

The man was smart enough to ignore my current predicament and handed me three paper bags full of books. "Forgive me my Luna," he replied with a small bow. "I don't mean to intrude but I was ordered to deliver the journals of his former majesty to you personally. King Maxwell thought you'd feel better having an omega deliver them to you in his absence, rather than a beta."

I bristled a little, hating that this omega knew Maxwell wasn't here when I was only just finding out myself. I wanted to ask where my mate had gone but I refused to appear ignorant.

"Well, you've done your job. Get out," I growled, unable to appear as cool and calm as I desired.

"Luna, forgive me, but I'm meant to stay with you and help you in any way you need during King Maxwell's absence. He was very clear about not leaving you alone."

"What, like you're my babysitter?" I hissed, furious that Maxwell couldn't trust me to be alone in our house all of a sudden.

"No my Luna. It's not like that at all! I know you're not a child. You have my respect," the omega nervously objected with another small bow.

"Well you're useless as a body guard. You're hardly bigger than I am! I still don't see why you need to be here!" I snapped as I aggressively as I shoved his shoulder with one hand while the other held tightly to my covering.

"There are guards watching the house my Luna," the omega informed me in a small voice without reacting to the shove. "I'm meant to be your companion, so you don't feel outnumbered with those beta's outside. Can I do anything for you? I didn't mean to cause offense," he continued, baring his neck to me as he nervously bit his lip.

"No," I mumbled and turned away, feeling horrible about myself.

I'd never had another omega bare their neck to me, aside from when the entire pack had done so during my mating ceremony, but this was different. I was in control of this omega's existence and he knew it. He knew I wasn't happy and that made him afraid of me. The sense of superiority I'd first felt began to wane. I was so lonely. Maybe if I was nice, this omega could be more like a friend to me? Maxwell seemed to think he was suitable company so I could try, couldn't I? It might be nice to become close with an omega.. maybe? Just as I was about to apologize the man spoke again.

"Luna, please accept my apology for disturbing you. I can see now that it was a mistake to seek you out. I'll give you some space. Are you hungry? I could-"

"I don't want your food!" I interrupted with a little growl.

I felt unable to offer up my own apology now that I knew he wanted to leave. I'd scared him so much he didn't want to be around me. Fine! I was doing great on my own! Friends were stupid anyways! I slammed the door shut in his face and locked it for good measure.

Part of me knew that if Maxwell was here, he probably wouldn't have approved of my behavior but I didn't have it in me to care. Not when I'd woken up alone and in a vulnerable mood. I hated how abandoned I felt right after my heat, on the heels of stupidly attempting to comfort my alpha with sex and then failing spectacularly. I felt so angry about being left behind that I stormed around the room, kicking the paper bags over in my rage.

I hated not knowing where my mate was. I hated that another omega knew where he'd gone when I didn't! I hated that my mate wasn't here to protect me, that he'd watched me cry myself to sleep but hadn't stayed! I hated that I failed to be able to keep him around, especially when I had wanted to be the one to comfort him! It was like he didn't need me at all!!! Where was he?!

In my anger I swiped his nightstand clean of all his little nicknacks, smiling bitterly to myself when the glass of a small hand mirror shattered into a million little pieces. It was then that I noticed a slip of paper with my name on it. I watched as it fluttered to the floor and stared at the letters hungrily, recognizing Maxwell's handwriting. I quickly snatched it up and as my eyes scanned the words, my heart throbbed happily in my chest and I was finally able to calm.

Willow,

Please know that there's nothing I'd rather do than stay curled up next to you. The Lotus Queen is demanding a meeting and after everything you've been through, I couldn't bare the thought of waking you to sit through it. I hope to return before you wake but if I do not, I'm having my father's journals sent to you. I trust no one more than you to learn of my father's secrets. Please read them when you get the chance and be nice to omega Anderson.

I'll see you soon,

Max

I felt relieved to finally know where Max had gone and even a little touched that he wanted me to get some rest but I would have rather been with him. It was my job to serve as Luna by his side, especially when it was to do with another pack. I was also a bit annoyed by the implication that I wasn't nice but that feeling was quickly overturned by the knowledge that my alpha really did need me. I smiled to myself as I carefully folded the note. Then I took it back to my room for safe keeping, noticing that the other omega was nowhere to be seen.

I felt sad about that for a moment but shrugged it off and continued on to my room. I hid the note in the same small box that I kept the roses and the teacup from my first night here. I was slowly growing a small collection of things that meant the world to me but I hoped for the sake of my own pride that Maxwell never found out about it. If he did, I'd probably die of humiliation. My wolf told me I was being dramatic and that my alpha might like my box but I hushed him. It was way too soon to be thinking like that. Max didn't even love me yet.

I slowly made my way to my closet, searching for something pretty to wear. Part of me just wanted to show off, in case that omega was still hanging about in another part of the house. The other part of me just wanted to look nice for Max. Despite my irritation with him for being gone, he'd been the perfect gentleman when I had a panic attack over being touched. In fact, Max had been so sensitive to my needs and feelings since I'd come out of heat that it made me want to do something nice for him, starting with my clothes. My wolf whispered to me about how whipped I was when I cast aside several outfits, labeling them as trash for not seeming good enough for my alpha. I did my best to ignore him but at the same time, I knew it had been years since I tried this hard to look perfect.

I eventually settled on a pair of black, fitted, high-waisted shorts with a mid-thigh hemline and black stockings that ended just below my knees. Next I pulled out a black blouse with flowing sleeves, long cuffs and a ruffled, button up collar. Then I added a navy blue waist corset, tied up with black ribbons, over my blouse. Next I donned a navy vest blazer with a long waistcoat and silver buttons. To tie everything together I added a silver and black brooch to my neck. Finally I ran a brush through my hair and pulled it back into a sleek ponytail, complete with a matching black ribbon tied in a bow.

When I was finally satisfied with my appearance I went back to Maxwell's room to dig through King Alistar's memories. I groaned when I realized just how many books there were to go through, as the old king seemed to have documented everything from the time he could hold a pen. I quickly identified his childhood and school year writings and, after briefly scanning the pages of the first seven books, I felt safe in moving onto something far more interesting and rather strange. Alistar had just come of age and the pages beneath me were suddenly beginning to sound like that of a star-crossed love story. I became entirely invested.

"It started with nothing more than a glance, a smile, and a warm cup of coffee," the first line read.

The former king then went on about how he first saw her, how beautiful her long dark curls were and how he could look forever into her hazel eyes. However, he also spoke of how she was the forbidden fruit and how that made him want her even more. He went on and on about her for many pages. It was crazy to read when the story this man was painting sounded so very different from how many knew Alistar to be. The old king was cruel and uncaring, practically forcing Maxwell into being king before he was ready, due to his increasingly unstable rulings. It was rumored that Alistar despised his son and Luna and that he had never really loved anyone. Clearly, those rumors were not entirely true. The old king had been in love, at least once. I kept reading, nearly halfway through the book when I came across how he wanted nothing more than to be her husband and how he'd come up with a plan to accomplish just that.

I stopped when I read that word. Husband. It was a strange one for our kind to use, let alone a ruling alpha. It wasn't unheard of necessarily, some of our kind thought it was acceptable, but I personally saw the word as an insult. It was the word humans used for their mates, though I suspect that word is cursed. It felt rare to see successfully paired humans for life like we had within our own kind. I would never want Maxwell to consider me as something so uncertain as a husband.

I soon realized the significance behind him using that specific word when I read a few more pages, finally discovering that the woman in question was a human named Annie. Not only that, the human supposedly lived in the neutral zone, at least she did at the time Alistar wrote in this journal. Now that was a secret if I ever heard of one! Our kind was forbidden from having relations with a human. Any attempt was meant to be met with banishment, forcing rogue status onto the offender. As it should be. So how had he gotten away with it?

I read on, captivated by the way he wrote about Annie. I'd never met a human but with the way he went on about her, you'd think she was something magical. As a young prince he'd been completely besotted with her, writing page upon page about how kind and loving and smart and beautiful she was. He went on about plans he had for her, plans for their future. Plans to forsake his mating contract. Plans to claim and impregnate Annie with a hybrid! Plans to make her his Luna once he was declared King!

My jaw dropped as I read that line. Surely Alistar had not always been so insane and yet here it was on the page! How did he suppose Shadow Pack would take to that? I was shocked that the desires alone hadn't gotten him executed. He was willing to put so much on the line for her. A human. Someone that could never be his other half. The idea that he thought he could successfully have a pup with her that would survive was madness, in and of itself! I couldn't believe I'd never heard of this scandal and I simply had to know more. Thankfully, for the sake of my own curiosity, I had plenty to read.

A knock sounded on the bedroom door just as I reached for the next journal.

"Your majesty? I'm sorry to disturb you but I've made some coffee. Also, I wanted you to know that King Maxwell should be home soon."

I didn't immediately respond to the omega. I felt annoyed with him once more for knowing more about my mate than I did, plus, couldn't he tell that I was busy?! I took a moment to sooth myself over the fact that Maxwell's message was for me and not him. Although that comfort was tainted by the knowledge that sometime soon I'd be in Frank's presence, assuming the meeting with Lotus Pack went well. I hoped Maxwell didn't expect me to kneel for this type of confrontation. The beta did not deserve to be shown any type of respect anymore. Not as far as I was concerned.

"Luna please come out. The King had me make you a sandwich as well. He wants you to eat something. You're still recovering from your-" the omega, implored once more.

"Alright already!" I snapped at the door interrupting him.

I did not want to hear about how my recent heat was common knowledge amongst pack members and I momentarily wondered what would they call me behind my back? Now that I was "thawed out" and all. I did my best to put aside my worries and got up. Then I took the time to hide the journal I'd been reading, along with a few others, before making my way out of the bedroom. I forced myself to mutter a surly "thank you" to the omega as I walked past him on the way to the kitchen, trying to make an effort to be nice. My words were rewarded with a shy smile and I did my best to try and ignore how happy that made me.

*******

Maxwell's Pov:

"Lovely hours you keep," I growled as I shook off the beta male that held my arm.

"You're the one who wanted a meeting. Here, you play by my rules. Why don't you start with bowing?"

When I didn't immediately obey, an alpha behind me kicked my knees in, causing me to painfully sink to the floor.

"Funny, for someone who comes to me with claims of not wanting a war of their hands, you don't seem to be interested in showing the proper respect needed to make such a request. How like your father."

The queen stepped forward as she glared down at me. She was very tall and muscular for a woman, even for an alpha, but she was hardly a threat on her own. Now, the entire Lotus army surrounding me on all sides, while my own personal guard was blocked from coming to my defense on the other hand, that was a bit intimidating. The queen glared at me as the air prickled around her with authority. Her strong, fiery, cinnamon and citrus scent compelled me to bow all the way to the ground, though I hated every minute of it.

The queen took way too much pleasure in belittling Shadow Pack any chance she could now that my father had been removed from power. Forcing me to bow was just a taste of the difficultly she gave me whenever I tried to make amends on my father's behalf. The queen walked forward and placed her hand on my head to pet me.

"Good boy," she hissed with a smirk.

It took every bit of my self control to hold my wolf back from attacking the bitch and she noticed my glare.

"What? Submitting yourself to me is the least you can do after the disgusting rumors I've heard about your pack. One's just as vile as when Alistar had the thrown before you!" My eyes widened, "Oh yes," she continued. "I know why you've come."

"What have you heard?" I asked, fearing she had the upper hand on me and that I'd just put myself in a deadly situation.

"Allowing your beta to treat an omega as a pet?" She hissed, baring her fangs as she yanked my hair, forcing my head back. "Really? It's disgusting! And not just any omega! I still have to question the rogue myself but I have it on good authority, from two sources, that beta Habberforth is abusing MY MISSING SON!"

Then she smacked me across my face hard. My wolf was irate over the disrespect but I held myself back. Reacting to that would not help me.

"Shadow Pack has always been the bane of our kind's existence but this is a new low!" She screamed in my face. "We were meant to have a pact with your father long before you were ever legitimized as king! I haven't seen my pup in years and now I learn this! He's been right under my nose this entire time, on your territory! How dare you ask for a meeting on behalf of Frank's life! That's why you're here isn't it?! Frank deserves death!"

"I sought this meeting because I honestly do not want a war between our packs! I might be an ignorant ruler because I didn't know what was happening with my own friend but I sought you out the moment I heard of Frank's alleged crimes! I am willing to offer much in an effort to keep our peace. However, I cannot allow you to kill one of my beta's on gossip alone. You have yet to question the rogue as you've said and I want to hear Frank out myself. If we find him guilty, he can go on trial and stay in your custody until it ends. My pack and I will respect whatever sentence he is given, even his death. You have my word on that. Just give me a chance to see his crimes for myself! If he truly has done these things to your son, I would never stand in the way of his punishment. However, I cannot allow your pack to waltz in and take down one of my own based on the word of mouth. I need proof."

I said all of this while bowing before her, doing my best to keep the queen calm as I plead my case. I knew my pack would see it as an unprovoked attack if Lotus Pack were to kill Frank in cold blood, without proper knowledge of his crimes. Even though the pack resented him, they would defend him over their right to have their king protect them from invasion. My pack would not wait for explanations if Frank were to drop dead. They would be out for blood.

"You really think you're beta will admit to a truth like this?" The queen asked in a hard, disbelieving voice.

"No, I don't. If this situation proves to be true, then I've been kept in the dark for a long time. Frank clearly doesn't trust me. I'm going to tell him I heard a rumor that an omega is staying with him and that I'd like to meet the omega. He won't expect it. That should be enough for Frank to show the boy, if he exists, and the surprise visit should keep him from being able to hide everything from me."