All Comments on 'If Only'

by Corny1974

Sort by:
  • 110 Comments
Robcan57Robcan57over 1 year ago

Great story, especially the ending

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good story well written. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great story. Thanks.

Ed

swedishreader1swedishreader1over 1 year ago

Decent story, bit of a damp squid ending.

One small point, she would not have got 20 years for attempted murder in England even back in the day, a friend of mine got done for that and it was infinitely more egregious than her case and he got 12 years, he was out in 8.

3-4* but will give it 4

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 1 year ago

I loved the last sentence!

5

SyzyguySyzyguyover 1 year ago

5* A good, engrossing and heart-warming story written in a way that made it wholly believable. Thank you for not having them reconcile . . . and that's a wonderful closing line.

JustloosenmrJustloosenmrover 1 year ago

Oh C'mon, I would like to read a nice story how old lovers come back....I'm sure there's a good plot.

Well done regardless.

HargaHargaover 1 year ago

Had everything you could want in a "Loving Wife's" story. Well done and easy to read. Will be following your future submissions.

MightyheartMightyheartover 1 year ago

Beautiful Story.

5/5

I just thought you were very stone hearted in the end.

This type of story merits a sequel.

Please write one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very good. Well written, reasonably well plotted. Keep writing. 5*****

silentsoundsilentsoundover 1 year ago

Hmmm. Don't know how I feel about this one but a 4 it gets regardless.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuover 1 year ago

That was quite good

First I read from this writer.

Thank you Corny1974.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Lovely. And so well written. *****

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I don't like reconciliation stories but this would have been a good one. I don't like sad endings. 2*

PowersworderPowersworderover 1 year ago

Wow, Julie really fucked up her own life.

I would feel sorry for her, but she did open the door for the sleazy predator.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69over 1 year ago

Oh my! Well told story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Brilliant. Thats the nice way of settling life. Ex should always kept in the past..

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Nicely done, well written and strange for this site.. believable!!

TC Ireland

demanderdemanderover 1 year ago

Same story, but nice twist. D

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

It always comes down to cabbage in the end.

SexyShelSexyShelover 1 year ago

Wow, what a great story ! Spookily incredibly similar to a story that my husband could tell and like yours our kids don't know it either. But his story didn't have the violence as in yours it just involved a car crash.

amygdalaamygdalaover 1 year ago

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 5 effing stars……don’t boil cabbages twice. As I was reading it I kept thinking don’t go back, don’t go back. Thank god it ended in a sensible fashion.

Regguy69Regguy69over 1 year ago

Sad story, but very well told. Your characters were very life-like. Nicely done. I look forward to your next offering.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 1 year ago

Unique way of telling the story - 5*

imhaplessimhaplessover 1 year ago

Cute and original; 5*.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

WOW! Whet a story. It could have happed, so real.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

That was a home run! Or, as they say in the Commonwealth, “hit for six!”

.

The storyline was exquisite. And kudos for not having him and Julie meet, and having the “meeting” between Julie and his daughter Natalie. Perfectly done.

.

Easy 5 *****

other2other1other2other1over 1 year ago

Great story and from a different perspective, the view of memory in retelling the story to his daughter was well done.

Thank you for writing this tale :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Hmmm…two for two in LW. That’s a pretty impressive start. Strong writing, with only trivial errors scattered about. An interesting and compelling plot led this reader to a strong affinity for the MC. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This story is great. I think something similar has truly happened a time or two.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This new guy is good. Really good. Two stories in, two fives to show for them. QuickMagazine, the unregistered, here. Once again, Corny1974 finds some original twists in well-worn LW threads. An example being the jealous wife manipulated into cheating by a sly predator (e.g., "I Hate Social Media" by BillandKate, a great story that's no longer on the site). And carefully eschewing the easy resolution of long-lost spouses trying again in later life. Corny1974 is anything but.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I think this is perfect as is. I always did like a "revenge sex" story and this is to me a very original take on it.

RanDog025RanDog025over 1 year ago

Good story and very well told. 5 BIG ONES!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

did not work for me.....plus with all due respect she would never have got 20 years. Probably not even 1/2 of that. And most likely would have served half of what you said. To quick and to fast.

woodwardwoodwardover 1 year ago

A very thoughtful story of life and for the most part well done. I thought you ruined the mood of the story with the last few throwaway lines. Know when to leave the story stage.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 1 year ago

"I suppose that tiny bit of insecurity she had, made me fell even more secure." - Even though it turned out that he was wrong, I agree with him. If she was so worried about losing him, you would think that she wouldn't do something that might cause it too happen.

\

"Julie seemed to think was important was that it was the first and only time that she had slept with him." - Yeah, she picks the day her husband had a special birthday dinner planned for her. Even if she didn't know about the party and the trip, she knew about that. Even as revenge, that was low.

\

Needs editing.

ro707ro707over 1 year ago

Its funny how adult women are "manipulated & groomed", like they have no agency, a silver tongued lothario can warp the mind of even the boldest of adult women.

Moronic & hollow women seek justification & blame externally.

SunnyU2SunnyU2over 1 year ago

Well told story. Would have liked to have seen a happier ending.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year ago

Spectacular 5***** story! It was creative, original, and very well told. Thank you for sharing.

TajfaTajfaover 1 year ago

Liked it. A story well told.

BaldingGrayingMiddleAgeGuyBaldingGrayingMiddleAgeGuyover 1 year ago

Good effort, but there's a pretty significant continuity problem with it. It's in the conversation that the MC is having with Julie's dad. The vacation was only for a fortnight, yet Not only did Julie stab the sleaze, she's been tried, convicted and sentenced within that fortnight. It didn't ruin the story, but it's definitely a mistake.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989over 1 year ago

A bit sad but a good read. I can't understand what cabbages have to do with love.

Hooked1957Hooked1957over 1 year ago

Very well-done, newbie. Please write another.

Hooked

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Somebody asked for a happier ending. this was a happy ending, for those that deserved one. and the skank got what she deserved, as well. nothing.

mattenwmattenwover 1 year ago

A very well told story with a really unusual beginning! Was fun to read!

TonyspencerTonyspencerover 1 year ago

Nice story, well told.

FlynnTaggartFlynnTaggartover 1 year ago

5. Not sure how to feel with the lack of Julie and the MC not getting back together but ultimately I can see why the author thought it was for the best. I kinda liked the format, a "story of a story" if that makes even the slightest sense, telling a tale of the long past. I especially found in interesting Julie was the one to seek revenge, doesn't happen in a lot of LW stories. Good story from a fairly new author.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Lol. Julie was the only likable character in this thing. God, men are such pussies. This is why I should stick to the lesbian category. Wahhhh!!! I was humiliated! I left town while the little lady took retribution for me! Wahhh! Write a sequel where Julie finds a real man.

Moonbat74Moonbat74over 1 year ago

Very good, thanks!!

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraover 1 year ago

Huzzah!!! Grand tale!! You took an old familiar story and put it in a new skin!! 5++/5!

Frank66Frank66over 1 year ago

In spite of what other commenters said, reconciliation DOES work, and this would be the perfect setting for it. Get 'em back together.....

26thNC26thNCover 1 year ago

Great story. I love the way you told it via flashback. I’ve given you another *5, and added you to my favorites.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

So what’s new. As we see in this world how easily people can be manipulated to commit to murder, cults, poisoned leaders, just plain manipulation. The human mind follows the strong and that’s when they aren’t open minded. We have isis, Putin, Trump, Iran , turkey,etc. North Korea totally brainwashed. .

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A story well told. An enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well that was depressing. Hell even the pathetic BTB crowd didn’t get to enjoy it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well, given that's it's been 30 years, people can change. I'd have liked to have seen them at least talk.

DoNotPassGoDoNotPassGoover 1 year ago

That's a very good story! You deserve full marks on this.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 1 year ago

I don't get it. How is it that this was a surprise for his wife Julie when in the story the husband says this.??

.

I'd told Julie to take her overnight bag to work, so that we could go straight to the hotel from there. I'd bought her a new dress for the occasion.

.

Clearly the trip was not a surprise. Also the husband mentioned that he was working extra shifts So they would have extra money for their vacation.

.

So why then would Juloe lthink that her husband is having enough hair if hes planning the vacation?

OldmaninthewoodsOldmaninthewoodsover 1 year ago

Very good story with original take, solid 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

BaldingGrayingMiddleAgeGuy

I think you will find that Julie's Dad says she is on remand which means she is awaiting trial in the UK. So no mistake or continuity error.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a sad story. I feel sorry for Julie, she was a duped victim, too, Four ⭐️ stars for this one.

Mibal_ZahariMibal_Zahariover 1 year ago

One word: DAMN!!!

This was very well written. Look forward to more submissions from this author.

njlaurennjlaurenover 1 year ago

The story of course is a common trope,the jealous wife who is seduced bc she thinks he is cheating, bc he is planning a surprise. As th vsriet is written I am not so sure it would happen, I think Julie would talk to her mom and find the truth,and the thing with the hotel would have told her what was up.

The problem with the story is he is amazingly srupid, the main character doesn't even give Julie a chance to explain. Maybe if he did that she wouldn't have stabbed Jerry ( I don't know the law in limey land, in the US she likely would either pleas temporary insanity or the like. She wouldnt get 20 years back then for sure). She was very young, yet he still retains bitterness towards her.

I also think he let others fight his battles. He should have taken care of Jerry and Clive. Clive should have his fingers smashed to pulp, he thought it was a prank? He could have told Jill, he thought he would get her too.

In the end he did well,

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 1 year ago

I enjoyed that immensely. A well-written period story, 5*. And yes, things were different back in the day.

I hope to read more of your work, soon.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Harry, the overnight bag was for the night out and hotel stay. She only knew that he was taking her out and staying at the hotel. The overnight bag is for one night which is why

MIL had to pack for the vacation

GamblnluckGamblnluckover 1 year ago

Nicely done. Surprised one again (although I should not be) how many readers lost the story. The MC had his mother in law and her friend Claire set up the party and get the wife's clothes ready. She did not know of the vacation trip. Only of a party her husband had arranged.

Convinced by her sleaze boss, she cheated and was going to rub her hubby's nose in it. It was too bad she went to prison for knifing the boss, but the long sentence was explained. The author left the reader wondering how badly the boss was injured. I guess Julie was not so good at knifing somebody either. I gave this story 5 stars.

mac1729mac1729over 1 year ago

A very well written story. I too am surprised people were confused reading it as I thought it was pretty straight forward

Thanks for writing

teedeedubteedeedubover 1 year ago

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

dgfergiedgfergieover 1 year ago

A very good story. Well written and showing the emoitons of all those involved. Cheating is a killer, it kills the soul and love you had for someone. To take revenge by screwing some asshole is ludicruse. 5 stars

MusicGuy4FunMusicGuy4Funover 1 year ago

Sour taste

The lack of a meeting & resolution irritated me

JeffTomJeffTomover 1 year ago

Thank you for the story. Keep writing.

Hiram325Hiram325over 1 year ago

Very good, I hope to see more from you.

enderlocke77enderlocke77over 1 year ago

very jumbled, hard read, no emotion, might think of trying to get an editor or 2. too much narration swapping. it would also help if u re-read it before uploading it. mistakes like putting *than* when it should have been *then* are easy to spot if u read ur own stories before upload

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Really good tale. Enjoyed it! Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well written tale of human relationships. 5 stars

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeover 1 year ago

Well done.

A fine little plot.

4 out of 5 from me.

MusicGuy4FunMusicGuy4Funover 1 year ago

Annoying ending

He seems to me to be a total twit. Why not talk to her?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

MusicGuy4Fun, we get it you don't like it. Why keep commentating?

The MC has moved on, but he wanted to talk to her to say thank you, but doesnt get the chance. His daughter passes on the message.

He wasn't ignoring her, she had left the cafe.

How is he a twit?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A very good story, as a fellow brit, in those days it was usual to be held on remand until your trial, the sentences were longer then (not much prison overcrowding) and long sentances were the normal.

In addition being released early for good behaviour did not happen, if you were let out early it was on probation, so you had to report to your probation officer weekly and notify them any time you left your home town, failure to obey any of the probation rules meant an immediate return to prison to serve out te rest of your sentance.

This has all changed now so you cannot compare those days with now.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Excellent stories, well written and good plots......read all three together. Hopefully we will enjoy more of your stories.

Thank you.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 1 year ago

"Why would she trust the word of that sleaze rather than her own husband?" - Hell, she never even gave him a chance to tell his side to give her something else to believe.

\

Also, even if she was sure he cheated and she was gong for revenge, why with the guy she considered a sleaze? Why not go out and pick up a hot guy?

JimmyThePlungerJimmyThePlungerover 1 year ago

Another excellent story, I've said it in reviewing each of your stories, please keep writing, you are very good with a bit of an original spin to well-trodden formats. Thanks again.

Stories need not be original classics or there would be very few of them here to read. What works is the occasional original twist, some characters we can "feel for" but most of all, talented writing. Well done

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This a great story. Thank you for all your time and effort

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great Story but wish he would have gotten back with first wife after the death of second. She was manipulated by a master. 5* Please keep writing. You are one of the best current LW writers.

anon.1

patilliepatillieover 1 year ago

Man, that is really good, very succinct, packed a lot of story in two short pages.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This was a very nicely told story. Quite lovely was the calm manner in which that old history was related. 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Only weak-minded people allow themselves to be manipulated. He was very fortunate to be out and away from the first wife. She was a fool and clearly unstable. If you can't see through a scam like this guy offered you're going to hurt yourself and others. Good for hubby to get away and not look back!

NicealloverNicealloverover 1 year ago

I loved the story but I felt so bad for Julie. She was a victim and she was manipulated. Thirty years ago I remember how things were. Photos were very good evidence and she probably was convinced without a doubt that her husband betrayed her. In her state of mind she was extremely vulnerable and I think that she could have been forgiven.

Drgnmstr97Drgnmstr97about 1 year ago

I can't quite identify exactly what my problem is with these stories, and this is a popular plot, about a wife manipulated into cheating on their husband without a shred of actual evidence. They never confront their husband about the allegations based on weak circumstantial evidence then they execute their revenge cheating. It's just such a.... stupid thing to do. Why would you choose to cheat on your husband without verifying the affair first? Far too many of these loving wife stories revolve around an incredibly ignorant wife.

People do choose to cheat for very pedestrian reasons but I guess those don't make for very entertaining stories as they probably hit a bit too close to home. I didn't feel sorry for Julie in the least, such a stupid decision.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Many such cases unfortunately...

Sad!

HighBrowHighBrowabout 1 year ago

It is said, Two Wrongs don’t make a Right. Truth is, it is the only way to make it right.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good Story. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

"Two wrongs really don't make a right and that is the whole point of the story really."

but

"I'm happy if it was Dave. I'm even happier that whoever it was got away with it. "

It's not that I mind the revenge - but I have no respect for hypocritical bullshit, and I absolutely hate stupid braindead tropes like "two wrongs don't make a right." They very often DO, which is why we have punishment for crimes. Otherwise, predation continues.

Julie absolutely KNEW what Jerry was guilty of, so arguments about "possibly harming an innocent person" would not be valid in this case.

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 1 year ago

Read again. Seems to me Julie has bigger balls than he does.

theVikingSailortheVikingSailor11 months ago

Oh, come on Corny. Give the lady a break. She served 15 years. She's gone through hell losing the man she loved and losing out on the life she had planned. She is truly sorry for what she did. People in her circumstances--where they come to terms with they have done and are repentant--deserve a second chance. But it is a very well-written story. Great job.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Oh look, sbrooks103x6 is shooting his mouth off despite no one giving a fuck about his stories let alone this.

And the author, talk about giant fucking hypocritical asshole. Julie is the victim here, not her bag of shit ex.

It's astounding the mental gymnastics middle aged to old men go to demonize victims. If you cannot understand why a Julie in 1993 was a victim at 23 years old, then I wish you absolutely horrible experiences that I simply cannot type here.

If you think of them, yeah that too

AngelRiderAngelRider10 months ago

There is so much wrong with this story and how Julie is categorized. It's like chronological age and a marriage ceremony are all that matter. Nothing else exists.

The true victim in this story is not the husband for all your bullshit attempts at arguing as such. Julie was am immature young woman during a very different time. She was groomed and manipulated by a man old enough to be her father but your argument is so what, she should have known better.

You describe her as being jealous, self conscious, low self esteem. An older man used fake photos 30 years ago when that wasn't a thing or expected. Yet, she should have known better because she was over 18 and said I do. My gods are you fucking asshole if you think modern society is wrong for being sensitive to these issues. And that's today let alone 30 years ago.

Rarely am I so insulted by obvious paternalism and misogynistic bullshit.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Yes she should have went to her husband and confronted him about it.

You can only be groomed in that fashion if you want to be.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCorny1974@Corny1974
After reading lots of stories on this site, I decided to try and write one myself. Please be kind, I'm not a writer but I do enjoy a good story.

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

If Only Series Info