Impressive ‘Star-in-Waiting’

Story Info
University-trained, brimming with ideas, she's a natural.
14.9k words
4.47
4k
2
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 1

Office manager Carole O’Toole called Brick Briggs, one of the four partners of an aggressive Sydney advertising agency, We-Do-it-Differently Multi-Media Advertising, commonly called WDID Advertising.

“Hi Carole, have you trained your husband to lick your breasts yet?” said her occasional lover.

She ignored that crap comment.

“Brick, we have a job applicant here who’s been told to apply in writing to HR and wait for a response. I’ve been chatting to her and looked at examples of her concepts and feel the girl is unique and we should grab her.”

“Uniqueness is a rare commodity in advertising agency in our competitive and overly-crowded industry, Carole.”

“Brick, I’ve trusted you to insert your unprotected dick into me with your assurances that you were clean. Now how about returning that trust? I believe instinctively that this job applicant could be a sensation. Trust me.”

“Girl? How old is she?”

“She’s almost twenty-two but looks younger, which is good. Her degree is a Bachelor of Communication, a 4-year course that she completed in three years by taking the accelerated option. She finished with the second highest rating of the students in her intake and has won championships at university level in swimming and squash and plays the oboe in a youth orchestra.”

“Hmm, three years instead of four, you say?”

“Yes, Brick. She lost time in developing a career by taking a year off to tour much of the western world after finishing high school and decided to try to accelerate her learning curve. Trust me to recognise top class potential when I come across it.”

“Okay. Bring her up at 2.30 and assist me with the interview.”

“Thanks, but it’s only 9.20. Can’t we do this sooner?”

“No.”

Brick cut the call and Carole sighed.

She walked over and sat beside the pushy applicant who said, almost rudely, “Well?”

“I went right to the top and dug my toes in and got you an interview with the managing partner at 2.30 today.”

“Two-thirty, am I expected to wait around until then?”

“Toni, if you want a creative job with us, you’ll go off shopping or get your hair and nails done and return to me without fail by 2.25 and I take you to front up to Brick Briggs, our managing partner.

“Omigod, do you mean the legendary footballer of the 1990s?”

“Indeed, and he’s something of a legend in our sector of smaller advertising agencies with annual billings of 50 million dollars or less. How is it someone as young as you knows of his fame of long ago?”

“Sport is a passion of mine and I know the statistics of stars in many national and New South Wales sports codes, including some on the fringes such as beach volley to horse racing.”

“Do you now?” Carole said, mentally noting that comment.

“Well off you go Toni and don’t be late returning.”

“I haven’t decided if it suits me to return for a 2.30 interview.”

“Toni, be back here at 2.25 if you wish to be in line for a job with this agency. For goodness sake girl, you’re nothing without a job. Bend a little, huh?”

“You sound like my mother, Mrs O’Toole.”

“Call me Carole, dear. “Your comment suggests your mother has the world in proper focus.”

Toni giggled and said goodbye.

*

Carole boggled when Toni arrived back in reception in a smart new dress, her hair done beautifully and her face fully made-up.

“Omigod, what happened to that rather sloppily dressed university graduate? We dress rather casually around here, which is an advertising tradition with a few exceptions whereas now you appear to look like a potential client from a major beauty corporation.”

“I took what you said to me seriously, Carole. You didn’t actually say to get off my high horse, but I bet you held back saying that.”

“That’s absolutely true, my very thought,” Carole said. “The impression that a job applicant makes in the interview perhaps counts for up to 70% of the arbitrary rating allocated towards his or her perceived worthiness.”

“God, you appear to have your finger on the pulse of recruitment Carole and yet you are only a receptionist.”

“Tut-tut, be smart and careful with off-the-cuff comments darling. I hold a master’s degree in business management and worked at senior level in that field for many years. Then my grandfather, now retired, who founded this agency with his best friend, suggested I come here to manage the office and I’d benefit from the lighter workload and more liberal flexibility in working hours when negotiating time off as required.”

“I lecture late afternoons three times a week in business management at a technical institute located not far from here.”

“Omigod, and I’m the loud-mouth upstart who called you ‘only a receptionist’. You appear to becoming a role model for me, Carole, without really trying.”

“Well dear, it’s a big step coming from life at university to life in the business world. Perhaps you’d complete the transition faster and more smoothly by being more thoughtful with your spontaneous comments, as I mentioned earlier. Come on, time to go up two floors of the building.”

The interview was not at all like Toni expected, and she was partly responsible for that.

They entered the office and Carole said, “Mr Briggs, this is Toni Messenger, the applicant for a position in creative that I called you about.”

“Ah, greetings Toni. This is just a punt, but is your father William or better known as Willy Messenger, the cracker right winger who played for several senior football sides for several years from the late-1990’s?”

“Yes. May I call you Brick?”

“Since you asked, yes.”

“Brick, I grew up with dad talking about many of the great footballers of the past and your name was always mentioned. He occasionally mentioned catching up with you at reunions and special invitation-only events.”

“So, you grew up knowing about some of the highly regarded footballers of the past. Can you remember the names of any?”

“Of course, I’ll rip off 30 now from several decades.”

She fired off about thirty names.

“Very impressive. Do you play sport?”

“A bit.”

Carole said, “Brick, Toni told me she was passionate about sport and won squash and swimming titles at university level, and plays the oboe in a youth orchestra. What sports are you involved in now, Toni?”

“Non-competitive surfing and swimming, night tennis and I play competitively in the women’s hockey league. I go to the gym early three mornings a week.”

“That interests me,” Brick said. “Often, we’re hired to produce signage, updated logos and to run various campaigns for sporting groups. Do you happen to know what the largest sports club in Ormond on the other side of the Blue Mountains is called, as they are a client of ours?”

“Yes, it’s probably the Ormond Horse Racing Club, established in the late 1800’s, located a two-hour-plus drive after crossing the mountains. I’ve gone there three or perhaps four times with my grandfather, who’s a fan of a big day out at country horse racing events. I believe the club is in a financial straightjacket, due to falling attendance number and has had to reduce its race days to once every quarter.”

“Correct, the club is at present attempting to get businesses in its district to donate money for a promotion campaign to boost attendance numbers at its quarterly race day meetings.”

“I could help with that, if you employ me.”

“That’s what I’m thinking. And by the way you dress and look, I’m thinking of your possible potential usefulness in upcoming fashion shows that we promote and working on advertising for clothing retailers at the high end of the market.”

Carole said, “Do you have a clean driver’s licence and have experience in travelling in small aircraft?”

“Yes, a clean driving record and I’ve driven in the occasional car rally and my mother has a pilot’s licence and hires small planes now and then and she’s given me elementary flying instruction. One thing about me Brick, is I don’t lack imagination or enthusiasm.”

“That’s good to hear. Thanks for coming in, Toni. Carole, take Toni down to HR to have her application and credentials checked out, and proving everything is fine, have her signed on as a rookie but with a degree she starts at C2 salary level.”

“Brick, with my high final grading results at university, supported by comments in my references, shouldn’t that be at least a C3 rating for a new graduate recruit with a several weeks each year gaining work experience in advertising agencies as part of my out-postings during my studies? My folio here contains references from those three agencies I worked for while at university.”

Brick looked at Carole, who nodded.

“Carole, providing everything checks out, instruct HR that this recruit, if she accepts our offer and terms of our standard employment contract, starts on a C3.3 salary level.”

“Thanks Brick and Carole too. She’s been a great help explaining things to me such as how I’ll be expected to act with maturity?”

“That’s good, Toni and good luck achieving your ambitions if we hire you.”

Toni was introduced to the manager of HR eying the young applicant when Carole said Brick had ruled a commencing C3.3 grading after he’d interviewed the job applicant.

Toni read the terms and conditions of the prepared contract and accepted the job offer.

At home that night, her mother Jane told William that their daughter had secured employment at WDID Advertising.

“That’s fantastic news Toni, really fantastic.”

“Thanks dad. I spoke to the managing-partner Brick Briggs who remembers Willy Messenger affectionately as a cracker of a winger,” Toni said, handing her father another bottle of beer.

“Really,” her father said, looking pleased. “I haven’t seen him for a while. How’s he looking?”

“Really great for his age. I guess he goes to the gym regularly and no longer drinks beer.”

William looked down at his protruding beer belly, sighed and raised his pint beer bottle to his lips and took a swig.

“Brick will look after you sweetie, even if you fail to do well. The footie fraternity look after their own, it’s tradition.”

Jane eyed her husband and said firmly, don’t be so negative about Toni. She’ll rise to become a star.”

“Thanks mum, you always have backed me. I won’t let you guys down.”

Chapter 2

HR arranged an appointment time of 8.30 am with Mr Briggs on the day Toni started with WDID Advertising.

Brick pursed his lips approvingly as Toni entered, wearing a short skirt, a colourful top and her brunette hair was up in a bun. She showed plenty of her magnificent legs and looked more like a modelling trainee than a trainee for the creative department of an advertising agency.

“Hi Toni. This is a very personal comment,” he warned. “Do your shapely legs continue in that shape all the way up to your hip bones?”

“I believe they do, Brick. I could show you evidence that they do that but caution tells me that Mrs Briggs might not approve.”

“Well said,” he grinned. “I believe you have demonstrated the physical and vocal prerequisites and ‘get up and go’ qualities to become a possible star in advertising. All we need to do is to provide you with the opportunities, good direction and the necessary commercial education to assist you to unleash your talents.”

“Am I expected to spread over your desk to make those opportunities happen?”

“I wish but let’s be realistic, Toni. I have two daughters around your age and anyway I don’t corrupt myself by granting favours in return for sex and suggest you adopt that ethic as well.”

“Your advice is noted and I’m aware I’ll constantly face prejudice over my age during say the next ten years unless I can build a top results-reputation that transcends my youthful appearance.”

“Brilliantly stated. Well, let’s go and face your first encounters of adverse reaction due to your age from our people who know nothing about you, but probably Carole is posting details about you as a new employee on our website as I speak. They may react even more adversely when they learn about the task you’ll be given.”

“What’s that, Brick?”

“Steel your nerves, young lady. It will be something your dad would want me to do, something if it works that has the potential to start you off on your destiny. That’s if you have what it takes and I sense you’ll have Willy Messenger’s genes that will assist you to cope.”

“Oh, but his jeans are too large for me.”

“Olé, you’re also possess humour.”

They entered the office of one of the team managers in the Creative Department.

“Hi Reggie. Meet a new addition to your team.”

“Christ, Brick she’s just a kid.”

Brick grinned and said, “Toni?”

“Hi Mr Meadows. Am I right thinking you are incapable of judging anyone before you become aware of their credentials?”

Reggie laughed and said, “Brick is this new addition hot, or is she what? Welcome to the team Toni.”

“Reggie, where are we at with the Ormond Racing Club presentation to the client?”

“Boss, I regret to say we’re struggling to get going with it, which is unusual for my department.”

“Then this kid, as you called her, can do no harm if you assign her to the account and give her four days to come up with sketches and wordage-rich ideas to present to the creative director and team at your usual mid-afternoon Friday meeting.”

Reggie looked at Toni aghast and asked, “Did your dad play professional football with Brick?”

“No, he was the next generation on, Willy Messenger. But they have met several times at reunions and whatever.”

“Christ, Willy Messenger, I remember him. He’s around my age and I was a big fan of Fleetwood Willie and he was nicknamed by the media rugby league writers. I’ll do anything to help you, as a favour to Willy.”

“If you do Mr Meadows, please do it discreetly. Because of my young age and limited experience, I’ll be rubbished if you show favouritism.”

“Don’t worry love, I’ll call a meeting and shall remedy your concerns.”

Really, Toni sighed. ‘Remedy your concerns’. Eeek, what time warp was he in?

She feared unnecessarily.

At the hastily called meeting, Reggie performed perfectly.

“Guys, sorry to take you away from your work briefly.”

Turning, he beckoned to Toni and invited her to ‘come forth’.

“This is a new addition to our department, Toni Messenger. The boss wants to get her off to a good start, to show you all up, I reckon.”

Toni waved a hand slightly and became aware of an atmosphere of hostility. She thought what the fuck was Reggie doing?

Reggie said smoothly, “We have to give Toni one of our clients being tardily handled. She’ll need to work up a concept, present it and appease our client. What client should that be?”

The calls came thick and fast, Reggie noting the code names for each client on the whiteboard until everyone had contributed.

“Okay, great participation,” Reggie said, sounding pleased. “But we only have listed only twenty-one works in progress where help is or isn’t required, whereas we should have twenty-two listed. Which account is missing?”

“The Ormond Racing Club’s account,” came a wave of feedback.

“Righteo,” the sly Reggie said, concealing his delight. “Toni, the Ormond R.C account is yours. I’ll ask the group that has been making slow process on this to brief you fully.”

“No thanks boss, I prefer in the initial stages to start alone from scratch. I will of course need team support in the later stages of development.”

Various people in the small group looked hugely relieved.

“Toni, I must warn you, this is one of the toughest accounts that this agency has ever had to get off the ground.”

“All I can say boss is, if I can come up trumps, I’ll be on my way to becoming a star. Otherwise, if I fail, I’ll be out on my ass before my second monthly pay day.”

Sniggers sounded.

Reggie said, club officials will be pissed off at having to brief a new person from the start.

Toni soothed, “Don’t fear. If I meet stonewalling, I’ll find someone in the inner circle to brief me by using my charms.”

Reggie, appearing flushed, said, “Toni, it’s against agency policy to seduce clients or client representatives into sexual couplings.”

‘I’m aware of that although I noticed when the manager of HR spelt out that policy to me, she was having trouble keeping her eyes off my tits.”

“Toni!” Reggie said, sounding shocked but appearing gleeful.

Many of the team appeared to warm toward Toni after that comment, clapping and smiling.

“Right, that’s it. Toni will work alone on the Ormond Racing Clubs account until the point of her reporting to the Creative Director. “Toni, report to me at 2.00 for my briefing.”

* * *

Toni turned down the offer to be flown to Ormond by charted aircraft in preference to driving for approximately 5 hours in one of the company’s C-class Mercedes, leaving at 5 am for the 10.30 meeting.

She stopped briefly en route for a bacon and eggs breakfast, wishing to be fuelled up for the anticipated scrap.

She was introduced sourly to the 5-member promotions committee by the club president, Matt Crombie.

He said the committee was being asked to start from the beginning again, because the difficulties had bogged down the advertising team that had bogged down on progressing the account.

When invited to speak, Toni said, “Hi folk, I might look young, I am young but of interest to you is I’m straight out of university with a degree in Communication which means I possess the latest research findings, the latest techniques to attract the attention of people that are the keys to increase attendances to your race-day meetings.”

“I say this, if you wish to bring back the crowds, we’ll have to capture the minds and touch the hearts of sports-loving Australians who live beyond your natural and Government-decreed district boundaries, and in particular we need to aim reaching to the mass population of Sydney.”

“Please allow me to digress for a moment. Hands up everyone who is familiar with the name of Archie Messenger. Five hands were raised plus the hand of the club president, a member of the committee as of right because of his position in the club as top office-holder.

“Good. And where does Archie live?”

“In Sydney,” mumbled a couple of committee members.

“And what is his status in this club?”

“One of our newest life members,” called someone.

“And why was he granted that honour?”

“There was no reply until Toni said, “Matt?”

“In recognition of being a successful owner of winning horses on the track over 31 years and for still coming to this club for most race days every year since he sold his farm near here and retired to Sydney in 1998.”

“True, and thanks Matt for that input.”

“In my younger days I came to Ormond’s race days three or four times with my grandfather, Archie Messenger. Now do you get my drift?”

“There’s no other advertising creative person around who has the face-to-face experience with race days at the Ormond track or has family linkage with this club as I do going back before I was born when my grandfather, age 18, rode one of his father’s mares, Fleetfoot Echo, to victory in the 500 guineas Silver Cup over six furlongs, or better-known these days as a distance of three-quarters of a mile.”

Toni flushed when hearing murmurs of approval, or what she interpreted as approval.

“Mr Chairman,” Toni said, addressing the club’s executive committee chairman, Pete Blackman. “That’s my spiel. I cannot foolishly promise that I’ll give you race day success from my agency’s promotional campaign but you can be assured that my heart will be in this mission to do the very best I’m capable of and I’ll draw support from members of the creative team of which I’m a new member.”

“Mr Chairman, may I request you consider two things. One that you immediately appoint a female to your promotions committee that will figure in our promotions that I have in mind.”