Impressive ‘Star-in-Waiting’

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

“I still have not been told what was said at that brief meeting between those two. All I know is when Reggie returned and called me to his office, and said, “I have no idea what Brick sees in you Toni but his instruction was, tell her she has the green light to proceed to devise and outline her campaign and present it to the racing club’s promotion committee and she’s authorised to use all the required resource we have on hand.”

“Shocked, I said is that all and Reggie said what else did I expect from Brick, who letting me loose on like this must be scaring him half to death. Reggie said I’d had been given an unbelievably huge break and that I should get back to work as time was precious.”

“I retorted, you’re wrong about Brick being fearful about letting me, a greenhorn, loose on a client on his authority. He never feared to take a high punt with opposition players on the charge to take him out with the catch when he played Rugby League, according to my father. Brick will have retained his level of courage to this day. He sees something in me that I still have to learn that I apparently possess.”

“I’m sorry members of this assessment panel that in my statement dragged on but I felt it necessary to explain why the newest kid on the block was before you with this submission. Here we go, the projected slide features a sketch of my grandfather, a former riding race winner at the club when he was a teenager and a club member since the day he turned twenty-one. He continues his membership and still attends every race day at the Ormond RC. I did the sketch and Greg Brandon expertly tidied it up and added more defined characterisation to my grandfather’s face when we had granddad sit for him.”

“My basic wording was expertly improved by one of our team’s very talented copywriters Raewyn Wood, who edited the wording, setting it to a hard righthand margin under Greg’s supervision to allow the left-hand margin to be shaped as required to follow the outline of the head and right shoulder of the inward-facing graphic, keeping as near as practical the same distance between text and the graphic, following the cut-out contouring shape of the face and neck. I became impatient but didn’t crack the whip because I learnt from my practical work at university that such intricate work takes time to get it just right.”

“We had several suggested headings to choose from, but because of the limited free width available, had to settle for the obvious that summed up what this primary ad, to be used in different shapes in print and electronic media. The chosen simply message, ‘Springtime Country Horse Racing at Ormond. Be there.’ says it all in a memorable flash, I believe.”

“Wording in the text includes this invitation from my grandfather, ‘Long-time Life-member and former President of the Ormond R. C. Archie Messenger (pictured), invites particularly the city folk of Sydney to head off on October 12 for a great day in country air to enjoy Spring Horse Racing amid a Carnival atmosphere at the Ormond racetrack. It promises to be a day to long remember’.”

“There we have it, the initial ad I designed for presentation to the client, hopefully for acceptance. A series of small ads will be prepared to cover each week of the recommend 8-week promotion.”

After short deliberation, the chairperson, Violet Templeton, one of the company’s four partners, handed back the folio to Toni.

“Congratulations Toni, well done. In fact, exceptionally well done.”

The invitees to the presentation clapped and called well done Toni.

Mrs Templeton said that applause was well deserved.

“We had one query during our review, however, and that was should the race day be called the Ormond Spring Racing Carnival?”

“I had considered that, Mrs Templeton and will refer that question to my client. My understanding and from minimal research, is that a Carnival runs for at least for two meetings, usually consecutively or alternatively especially for larger horse racing clubs, it runs over several weeks and even a considerable part of a club’s racing season. I’ll work on it further to establish what is usual and whether the client club thinks its quarterly race day should be called a carnival.”

The chairman then said the agency’s managing-partner Brick Briggs wished to say a few words.

Brick said, “Everyone is invited to stay and view an interesting film-clip.

“If some of you think a new entrant into our industry may be great at spinning a tale and faking his or her confidence to cover inexperience, this film-clip may alter such critical beliefs. In my view, this film-clip indicates the quality of pre-entry training and education available for advertising industry prospective interns today. It enabled Toni to launch as a credible performer in her first week at work, being very inexperienced but having gained a smattering of experiences through short fieldwork periods or actual work in advertising agencies during university lecturer breaks.”

“The film-clip demonstrates two vital attributes the Toni has the fortune to possess, which are focus and passion. After viewing it three words were spinning in my head. They were ‘Omigod, Awesome, Unbelievable’.”

“When Reggie learned that an exceptional scene had been acted out between two members of his team and one of our top artists, he thought it would have been recorded by the security camera. We discussed the possible benefits of it being viewed by everyone here and I agreed to seek legal opinion. The footage viewed by my legal advisers received approval for its viewing within our agency providing I gained the written consent of all three personnel filmed in the clip, which I gathered.”

“It’s only short, and we’ll run it twice. Just keep the bad language and innuendoes of whatever in context and to yourselves. It happens when passionate and talented people engage, at times saying without thinking what they were thinking. I think showing what happened in real-time and without cuts or bleeps as censorship, showing how passionate people connect and deal with relationships at the coalface. The participants had the guts to agree that there should be no censorship in the interests of authenticity.

The screening was actually a joining of three parts of the footage from that day.

The first segment showed Toni politely asking her team manager Reggie for clerical assistant and following that lengthy discussion was a joined clip of copywriter Raewyn Wood’s initial confrontation meeting that Toni deftly managed to calm Raewyn and get her on board. The final section was the clip of Raewyn back at her desk well ahead of schedule after her first day with Toni and talking to Reggie Meadows about how that day had gone.”

Viewers’ reactions were huge, electrifying the atmosphere of the crowded room with bouts of laughter, gasps of astonishment and cat-calling.

At the end of the first showing, the manager of the Art Department, Rosa Ricci called, “That was hilarious and in parts mind-blowing. It is about people being themselves. God, if mainstream movies were like that, I’d probably be at the cinema at least three times a week. Yes, re-run it please.”

“What we have just witnessed is how group workers react and the ideas flow and the fusion between them occurs,” said Roger Adams, one of the senior partners. “I’m rocked in delight that a greenhorn can enter our team culture and immediately ignite discussions that Rosa correctly called mind-blowing.”

Someone from the mass of people called, “We witnessed hilarity and bonding and whatever. We were probably witnessed the unveiling of a hugely talented and motivated youngster who’s begun her ascent on the stairway to advertising creativeness greatness.”

“Who said that please,” Brick called.

“Your chief inhouse lawyer,” called Kevin Tucker.

That caused laughter because he was the only lawyer employed by the agency. Others were on-call outside consultants specialising in various aspects of law.

“Kevin, you expressed my sentiments beautifully.”

Brick said. “Toni, would you come to the front so everyone who doesn’t know you yet can see you.”

“No, sorry. I’ve been weeping in embarrassment at the lurid praise that has swept over me and my make-up is a mess.”

Without warning, three of the females surrounding Toni hoisted her high.

“Feek, there go the waterworks again,” she sobbed but waved shyly as she was revolved around on display. “The-the enthusiastic spirit evident in this outfit is a-amazing. Little wonder this agency punches well above it-it’s w-weight in competitive world of advertising in this c-city. I-I find it hard to accept that I f-feel welcome in-instead of e-everyone hating my guts or simply being derisive of me.”

She was lowered and one of her lifters, Raewyn Wood, called, “Three cheers for newcomer Toni.

The salutation almost lifted the rafters.

“Okay, brilliant you lot, Brick said. “We’ll have one more look at the film-clip then everyone come cross to the Pirate and the Cat tavern where your management has arranged for a whack of money to be expended with our compliments. Non-alcohol drinkers can drink complimentary juice or whatever. Everyone, we don’t usually celebrate a newcomer this way, so enjoy this rare occasion.”

* * *

Toni was still in the bar at 7.00 with about 30 other stayers from the agency, when artist Greg Brandon joined her and kissed her suggestively.

“A big day for you?”

“In the sense of emotionally, yes.”

“What’s on for you on Monday?”

“I’m off to Ormond for a late morning meeting to present our main ad, seeking approval.”

“May I come with you? I’m just interested in your presentation, that’s all.”

“To put it bluntly, you are aiming to have sex with me?”

“Dunno, but perhaps we could take a short-term rental for a rest at a motel.”

“But you’re married.”

“No problem. Jill and I share an open marriage.”

“Truly?”

“Absolutely.”

“Then come with me. I’ve been without male pressure long enough to have become horny. I’ll be driving rather than going by aircraft.”

“That’s fine, what time will we start.”

“I want you in the car with me by 6.30.”

“Fuck, I can’t. I never wake that early.”

“Perhaps some other time then?” Toni said flatly.

“Yeah, be seeing you,” he said, walking off.

“Social pig,” Toni muttered.

She stood to walk over to join the two other remaining women when a guy pushing 30 called to her.

“Hi Toni, congratulations on the immediate impact you have made within our agency. I’m Don Weaver, director of digital development and output. I’m single and hungry. Would you like to come home to my small apartment and I’ll cook for you or we could go out and eat big.”

“That depends. Do you possess condoms?”

“Yes, absolutely.”

“Then Don, take me home and cook for us and then tell me what’s on your mind.”

“Cripes Toni, you’re mature for your age. Would you stay the night?”

“Moving to trap me so early in the conversation, eh? Yes, I’ll sleepover but will have to leave at dawn as I’m to play in a hockey tournament. Treat me tenderly and you probably will get everything, or almost everything you desire.”

“Wow, Toni. I’m gobsmacked, and have to ask, why me?”

“Firstly, I feel horny. Secondly, I was impressed that you gave me two choices. I concluded instantly that best offer for me was eating at your apartment and with a sleepover it would be inevitable sex would follow.”

“That’s an intelligent choice, Toni, I’m impressed.

She took Don’s arm and they left.

Toni knew they were being watched by the remaining co-workers, but she didn’t mind. Whatever the gossip about her, it was all part of character building. All she had to do was to give the impression of being a goodtime girl rather than a slut.

Chapter 5

On Monday, Toni went by cab at 6:15 to pick up her SUV rental. She felt she was on top of the world, the adult world. She felt energized, happy and fairly rare for her in recent months, well-fucked from her carefree activity on Friday night.

She smiled, thinking that was a perfect combination. She would not allow Don to bed her again as she wished to avoid that kind of close sexual relationship with anyone while she concentrated to build her career.

In advertising, she was a new kid on the block and there were so much she had to learn in operating in the real world, so many skills to acquire. Smiling again, Toni knew she’d long considered the big picture foremost was the key to making progress in life.

Her former top rugby league football father on the right wing, had groomed her that way, often referring to visualising the big picture of getting over the score-line and dotting down the ball successfully. When taking a promising pass, he’d immediately picture himself completing adding those points to the team’s score, fixing that image in mind by the time he’d taken the second step in his run.

“What then?” Toni, from about the age of eight would dutifully ask.

Her father, his eyes looking curiously glazed as if he was reliving the moment, would say it was then only a matter of coping with the challenges from defenders on the way to dot down the ball to score, completing the vision fixed in his mind.

Toni smiled again and didn’t have to look at the GPS screen that could map her route. In fact, it was turned off because the route was fixed in her mind from the first time her grandfather had driven her to the rural racing club. She only had to spot a key marker through the windscreen to know where she was at that point. Once she had told a girlfriend she had that amazing ability and Bella had said disbelievingly one word in dismissal, ‘Crap’.

Attempting to explain that the brain was super-powerful and could be trained in ways not always understood or even recognised, Bella who was the top student in art in their class, had said ‘Yeah, right’, and asked could they talk about dress designs.

* * *

Toni arrive in Ormond early after an incident-free journey and stopped outside a café for coffee.

The over-weight young waitress with rosy cheeks arrived at the table and took the order.

“Do you want to flick through the local rag.”

Toni took the thin country newspaper, thanked the waitress, and could see the front page in such large type as if the newspaper was declaring the start of World War 111.

She was shocked.

The heading read: Ormond R. C. in Liquidation.

The so-called ‘Star-in-Waiting’ slumped down in her seat. Her mind was in a whirl and she felt as if, as if she’d been violated or knifed.

“Christ.”

She began reading the article.

The waitress arrived and said concerned, “Are you okay Miss? You’ve turned very pale.”

“Ah, yes. Ah, probably a touch of car sickness although I was at the wheel.”

The waitress put the coffee and a peanut brownie on the table and rushed off and returned with a glass of water.

“Here, drink slowly. Water can be a quite fix, according to my mum.”

Toni was surprised to find she was feeling less shocked so quickly.

“Thanks, it’s working.”

“Good,” said the waitress. “Just stay sitting for a while.”

Toni checked the time on her phone and thought good, Carole would be at reception still getting everything settled.

The receptionist who answered said, “Hi Toni, how may I help?”

Toni heard Carole in the background call is that Toni Messenger and the receptions said yes and Carole said put the call through to her office.

“Hi sweetie, where are you?”

“In shock sitting in a café in Ormond. I have just read...”

“Yes, shocking news but keep calm darling as the collapse has nothing to do with you. I heard it on a news brief on my car radio and I called Brick to advise him.”

“What was his reaction, Carole?”

“He said, ‘The bastards, they should have told us but probable their lawyer had muzzled them until after the first shock wave over the community died down and I said he would be right about that.”

“H-how can you be sure about that?”

Sounding cheerful, Carole said, “Darling, it’s what happens in the business world. I lecture in business ethics and business company viability at the Winthrop Technical Institute three times a week, remember.”

“Yes, sort of.”

“Sort of.”

“You told me about your lectureship but didn’t say what subjects you covered and I didn’t inquire.”

“That’s correct and shows your mind remains on the ball after your shock. I think you should return here immediately.”

“I wish to try to meet the president and committee in a few minutes as planned and give them the poster of our work and express our condolences.”

“Do you think that’s wise? It will be like a mortuary in that committee room today and perhaps there will be blood on the floor, so to speak.”

“Nevertheless.”

Carole sighed.

“Look darling, stay put and I’ll ask Brick to call you immediately. It’s now his decision.”

Brick said to Toni, “You know, Carole made the right call and I would have agreed with her usually. But you are different to the pack. I know you’ll cope. I don’t want you to give them anything but condolences and just say you have been instructed not to hand over anything relating to our work on their account as our status is now a creditor. They’ll understand that as the president and committee are business people.”

“But three are farmers.”

“Toni,” Brick said gently. “Farming is a business; it has to be for economic survival.”

“Oh, and...”

“Don’t apologize Toni, your mind will be in a whirl. Go to the meeting, providing they allow you in, and express your condolences.”

“Thanks Brick, you are so understanding. I need to do that and then to begin to recover having my first project blow up in my face.”

“I had anticipated that would have affected you that way because you have a creative and sensitive mind. Bye sweet young lady.”

Wringing her hands after putting down her phone, Toni thought fondly that Brick had just called her a sweet young lady rather than a sweet young girl. Referring to her as a girl in the context of the situation would have expressed his tenderness streak. But he possessed the sensitivity that gave Toni exactly what she wanted to hear from him, right at that moment.

Awesome.

Toni stood at the open doorway, dragging along the clinging ORC executive secretary to get that far.

The president, Matt Crombie spotted her and went over and kissed her and said, “Have you heard the news reports that the club is drowning?”

“Yes, only when reading the local newspaper at Miranda’s Café when I arrived.”

“Oh crap. I speak on behalf of the club and apologize.”

“Thanks, and I understand. It’s dire times for you and club stalwarts and employees.”

“Yes, but you go. I’m sorry but the meeting is about to start and it will be a lengthy one.”

“Would you please allow me to speak at the commencement, three minutes max?”

“Very well, there are no chairs vacant but I’ll have one brought in and placed beside me,” Matt said, and the executive secretary let go Toni’s arm and said she would fetch a chair.

Matt opened the meeting, introduced Toni and said that unfortunately Toni had arrived in town for the committee meeting to make her first presentation on the requested advertisements and other promotional ideas for the Spring race day. Setting out early to drive to Ormond, she was unaware of early morning radio news that a group of the club’s principle lenders had pulled the plug on the club late Friday, calling for the payback of their loans and lodging a request for the court to order that the club be liquidated.

“Toni was upset at hearing the news from me and asked could I give her leave to speak to the committee for a couple of minutes before returning to Sydney. I decided to allow that. Go ahead Toni.

A committee member called, “What’s the use?” but was ignored.

“With heavy heart I express my condolences what has happened to you guys and to your beloved horse racing club. I haven’t said this before, but I had attended race days at this club several times, the first occasion was when I was five, with my grandfather, Archie Messenger, who is one of your life members, and his late wife Gladys, and my father who was born near here, William or Willy Messenger.”