All Comments on 'Improbable Futures - Dick on Jane Ch. 01'

by Intoxicated_Dreams

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
HectorBidonHectorBidonover 5 years ago
"She went to class with a spring in her step."

Lovely story. Your gentle, understated style really brings your characters to life. I especially liked Amy and her matter-of-fact but genuine affection for her roommate. You've done a very nice job in painting the uncertain new feelings that accompany a young woman's sexual awakening.

I like the blurb on your biosketch too. "Why not discover who we could be, instead of who the world expects us to be?" But, really, the best parts of your writing are the simple, natural, realistic parts, the passages that describe the way that real people feel and interact. I get the exhilaration of "exploring a different world," and I think it's working effectively in this story. But the charm of the story is that the fantastical elements are happening to real people. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think you could write stories set entirely in the real world and they would be lovely too.

Anyway, thanks for this one. We're looking forward to the next.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
“most unique”

Alert: All People Take Note!!

Nothing can be more unique than anything else. There are no gradations of uniqueness. It is binary: unique or not unique. Can’t be kinda pregnant and you can’t be somewhat unique.

“Tom is more unique than Ted” is an idiotic phrase.

Unfortunately you are not unique in making this most obvious error. Nevertheless it doesn’t make you look smart to make such this error in diction and logic.

Never make this mistake again!

(You’ll thank me someday)

HectorBidonHectorBidonover 5 years ago
Uniqueness

The line in question is "The most unique thing about her was her name." The word "unique" has more than one definition. One of them is "particularly remarkable, special, or unusual." The use of the modifier is perfectly acceptable when the word is understood in this sense, which is the way the author intended. If you google "most unique" you'll find a Mirriam-Webster Words at Play essay that discusses this point.

maddictmaddictover 5 years ago
My turn

You missed a golden opportunity, Nurses Hathaway was playing 'beat the clock' a old game show. pumping the meaty clit-cock. Jane shuddered with a building pleasure. Now that I would love.

'Would you, Amy, would you like that?

'"Nah, we're good!" 

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous