In Her Cousin's Footsteps Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Kristi?"

She yelled down the hallway, but didn't hear back. She heard the sound of a basketball out on the driveway and took the stairs, wondering what she could say to make things better. She watched from the window as Kristi dribbled effortlessly out on the driveway. She took a few layups before standing at the base of the basket with one hand on the pole. With the other hand, she reached around to pull her foot up behind her, stretching her muscles.

Lacey knew she shouldn't be watching from behind the dining room curtain, but she couldn't help studying her older cousin. She clearly had athleticism, but she also was driven, with an air of self-confidence that stopped well short of arrogance. Lacey wondered if she could ever come close to that. She was determined to learn everything she could from Kristi, as long as she was willing to teach her. She willed herself to stop watching and admiring her cousin, again confused at her body's reaction to the simple stretching routine. Taking a deep breath, she looked down at her new attire, and suddenly feeling confident, she took one step toward the door and tripped over the dining room chair.

"Jesus! I can't even 'walk' without tripping! I'm so pathetic!"

She shook her head, told herself that it would be okay, and jogged out to the driveway. Kristi saw her coming and passed her the ball behind her back. Lacey awkwardly caught it with two hands, then reached up to adjust her glasses yet again.

"Well, go ahead. Let's see your form. Take a shot, it's okay."

Lacey held the ball over her head and tossed it, barely hitting the rim from around ten feet away.

"Not bad Lace. Your form looks pretty good. Try bringing your right elbow a little closer to your chest. That should give you more control. Here,'" she said as she passed Lacey the ball again.

Lacey looked up at the rim and tried it as Kristi suggested. She took the shot and it bounced twice before rimming out.

"Awesome! Much better, Lace. Try again from the same distance. This time try to let the ball roll off of your fingertips more as you release it, and bend your knees a bit. I'll pass it to you. Come on - five quick ones."

Lacey felt herself gaining confidence, hitting only one of the five, while the others rimmed out.

"Really good, cuz. If you keep it up, those rim shots will start to fall. Just remember to keep your right elbow tighter against your chest and you'll see a big difference."

She continued. "I don't really have the 'problem' that you do," Kristi giggled as she looked down at her small chest, "... so maybe that helps a little with my shot control."

She almost made a crude comment about 'rimming,' but decided not to, realizing that her younger naïve cousin wouldn't get the reference, and even if she did, she would be utterly embarrassed. Still, the thought of the word 'rimming' flashed in Kristi's mind, and a very vague recollection of a drunken college softball party caused even her to blush.

Next they worked on layups, and after several attempts, Kristi eventually was able to teach her cousin how to push off with her left leg when shooting with her right hand.

"Impressive, cuz. Much much better. Need a water break, or do you want to keep going?"

"Um, let's keep going if it's okay with you."

"Great - I like your attitude. Are you having fun yet?"

"Yeah, I... I never had anyone really show me the basics before. They just work with the better players all the time, it seems."

"That's how it was when I was there too," Kristi said. "They spend all their time on the ones that need it the least, and they don't realize when they have 'diamonds in the rough' like you. Such a shame."

Lacey beamed. Her legendary cousin just called her a 'diamond,' and it was the first time anyone complimented her athleticism. It was usually quite the opposite.

"Okay, now it's time for the serious stuff, Lace. Defense. Cover me." She took the ball at the top of the key, and asked Lacey to assume a defensive position.

Lacey stood five feet away, flat-footed with her hands down. Kristi faked right and easily went around Lacey on the left, laying the ball in. They tried again. This time, Kristi faked left and Lacey stumbled backwards, nearly falling as Kristi laid the ball in.

Kristi dropped the ball and gave Lacey a few pointers, telling her to keep her feet moving, to only watch Kristi's waist when guarding her, and to keep her 'off hand' up and the hand nearest the ball lower.

"Also, keep your cute butt low, knees bent, and try to beat me to the spot that I'm trying to dribble to."

Lacey didn't hear anything after 'cute butt.' Did she really just compliment her again? Although she thought it was an odd thing to say, she still reveled in the rare compliment, and did exactly as she was told.

"Let's try again. Guard me," Kristi said as she picked up the ball. This time she faked left and Lacey quickly shifted sideways, then back to the right and stopped Kristi's progress.

"Awesome kiddo! Now let's try some low post defense. Lots of times the bigger players will try to back in to you when they get closer to the basket, like this." As she spoke, she moved inside the key and turned her back on her cousin, dribbling with her right hand.

Lacey backed off, keeping her distance from her cousin, who easily laid the ball in. Kristi was sensitive to Lacey's obvious uneasiness with physical contact as evidenced earlier, and she delicately spoke to her cousin, not wanting to push the issue.

"Lace, there are things I can teach you defensively, but I'm not sure you're really ..uh, ready for it."

"I'm ready. I mean, I'm here, right? You even said I'm doing good."

"Yeah, but in the low post it gets pretty, well - physical. I just think maybe we did enough today, don't you?"

Kristi sensed the disappointment as Lacey shrugged, and she didn't want to offend her, so she offered.

"Well, it's still early enough. If you're up for it I can show you a couple of things, but it might be a little uncomfortable for you. I mean, you'll be intentionally in my space. The goal is to stand your ground, okay?

"I'm ready, Kristi."

"Okay, now in the low post, when I back in, you need to keep me from getting closer. This is where it gets more physical. It's less finesse and more kind of 'king of the mountain' stuff. Don't let me in. Okay?"

"Yep."

Kristi again turned her back on Lacey, but - feeling nothing blocking her - she easily backed in and laid the ball up.

"You need to get pissed, Lace. Get physical. DON'T let me in, okay?"

The next time, Lacey softly pressed a hip against her but with the same result.

"No, Lace. Get PISSED. I mean, get REALLY pissed! She pushed her younger cousin's shoulder, trying to intimidate her, and Lacey stood her ground, getting annoyed. She did it again and Lacey slapped her hand away, biting her lip.

"That's it. Here, you take the ball and I'll show you what you mean. Try to back in to the basket."

Lacey turned with her back to the basket, dribbling with her right hand, and she felt Kristi's body pressed against her from behind, forcing her away from the basket. She tried again and felt Kristi's full thigh against her butt, almost pushing her away from the basket.

"Okay, your turn now."

She again took the ball, facing away from Lacey, trying to back in to the lane. This time, Lacey allowed herself to press against her cousin's back, but also used her hands to keep her at a distance.

"Good, but you can't push with your hands, Lace. And make yourself wide. Low and wide."

Lacey kept her arms out, bent at the hips and reluctantly pressed nearly her entire lower body against her cousin, nudging her away from the basket.

"Perfect. Perfect! THAT'S what I meant. Good job!"

They tried the exercise a few more times, and although Kristi was able to get the better of her, it was much more challenging.

"Whew, I had enough, Lace. It's getting hot and you wore me out. Let's go grab some water, okay?"

Lacey nodded, proud of her effort and her improvement as she followed her cousin into the home, through the hallway and into the kitchen, noticing the perspiration that soaked through the back of Kristi's T-shirt. She knew she couldn't stop there, and she finally allowed herself to watch the movement of her butt, ashamed but giving in to the - what - fascination?

Kristi grabbed two glasses, opened the freezer and popped ice cube into them before pouring fresh water into the cups.

"Cheers," Kristi said as they clinked the cups together.

She continued, "To new friendships, and more..."

Author's Note: I'll keep writing their story if there is enough interest.

12