In Service of the Queen Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Adelaide focused on the ball and ran. "Got it!" she shouted. "I've got it. Got it!"

Crack!

Adelaide stopped short upon running straight into Tiara. And after shaking off the blow, Adelaide looked down at the ground, where Tiara lay unmoving.

Adelaide dropped to her knees. "Tiara? Tiara? Are you okay? Oh, no."

Adelaide held up her hand. After a few seconds, the signal sunk in for her teammates, and soon the opposing players as well. Everyone huddled over Tiara.

"Don't move her," said Adelaide. "Nobody move her until we--"

Adelaide's warning was interrupted by Tiara moaning. "What...?" Tiara blinked her eyes a few times and then squeezed them shut. "What happened?"

"I ran into you. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. I knocked you pretty good."

"I think that's the end of practice," said Tonje, clutching the ball under her arm once again. "You okay, Tiara?"

"Mmm, not sure." Tiara lifted her right arm just enough to flop her hand across her forehead.

"I'm sorry," said Adelaide again, before leaning forward to stare into Tiara's eyes.

"It's okay... um, what are you doing?"

"Checking your pupils," said Adelaide.

"Um, okay..."

"No, no, it's the right thing to do," said Tonje. "Helps determine if you have a head injury." Turning to Adelaide, Tonje said, "You know first aid?"

Adelaide nodded. "I grew up out in the countryside. It was at least forty minutes to the nearest medical facility. We all learned first aid early on."

"Just lie still," said Tonje. "Let Adelaide take care of you. She knows what she's doing."

"I'm so sorry, Tiara," said Adelaide, frowning. "You were being so nice to me. And what did I do? I clobbered you."

Adelaide looked up to see Cosette kneeling on her left and Vivienne squatting at her right.

"It's okay," said Tiara. "I'll be alright." Tiara started to sit up, groaned, and flopped back down. "In a minute," she said. "I'll be alright in a minute. Oof."

* * *

Inside the Empyrea City Youth Hostel, one hour later

Adelaide flipped the big, red paddle switch on the steaming electric kettle to the off position and lifted the kettle from its base. She tilted it to pour hot water over the tea ball resting inside the mug on the counter. After replacing the kettle on its base, Adelaide picked up the mug in both hands and walked gingerly down the hallway to the common area.

Lying sprawled out on a sofa, flanked by Vivienne and Cosette, Tiara offered a wan smile at Adelaide's approach.

"Tea," said Adelaide, holding out the steaming mug. "If you're up for it."

"Mm. Mm-hmm," said Tiara, pushing herself up on one elbow, while Cosette and Vivienne both offered a hand to help get her sitting up straight.

Adelaide passed the tea she had prepared to Tiara. "Careful," she said, "It's hot."

"Thank you, friend." Tiara wrapped her fingers around the mug.

Adelaide turned her gaze to the floor, frowning.

"You gals don't have to stick around and take care of me," said Tiara. "It's just a bump. I'll be fine."

"We can take turns watching over Friend Tiara," offered Cosette. "That's the nice thing about having ten other roommates."

"It's my fault," said Adelaide, still studying the tips of her shoes. "I can't just knock you out flat and... and wave goodbye."

Tiara smirked. "Afraid we won't ask you to any more scrimmage matches, is that it?"

"No... That's not what--"

"Just teasing. Have a seat, friend." Tiara held her mug in both hands and scooted over enough to make room for one more on the sofa.

Adelaide stood motionless for a moment, and then turned around to sit in the space Tiara had made. As soon as Adelaide's butt hit the cushion, Tiara leaned her head to rest it on Adelaide's shoulder. "Thank you for the tea, friend."

"You already thanked me."

"You looked like you needed a little reassurance."

"Sorry about your head."

"You already mentioned that, too."

Adelaide frowned.

"Listen," said Tiara, "let's just call it even. Tea for the bump on my head. What do you say? Easier than repeating ourselves all morning."

"Friend Adelaide," said Cosette, turning to rejoin the conversation, "Will you be joining us for lunch today?"

"Um, I don't know. What time is it?"

"Nearly lunchtime," said Cosette, smirking.

Adelaide chuckled. "Sure. I can help you in the kitchen."

On the other side of Tiara, Vivienne jumped up to her feet while Cosette laid a hand on Adelaide's knee. "You stay here," said Vivienne. "Take care of Tiara. I'll help with lunch. I'm the one in the culinary program after all."

Adelaide held her lower lip in her teeth for a second and then nodded.

"Great!" exclaimed Vivienne, clapping her hands together once. "You two look totally cute together, by the way. Take good care of each other."

"Um... okay?" Adelaide watched Vivienne and Cosette walk off hand in hand.

"Friend Adelaide," said Tiara, holding out her mug. "Would you put this on the side table for me?"

"Okay, sure." Adelaide took the handle and stretched to place the half-empty mug safely out of the way. When she returned, Tiara flashed a quick smile and proceeded to wrap both hands around Adelaide's arm. Once again, Tiara tilted her head to rest it against Adelaide's shoulder.

"Thank you, friend," said Tiara.

Adelaide smiled and bent to touch her lips the top of Tiara's head for a split second before bolting upright again. Neither said anything for some time, as the other residents of the hostel passed by behind them without a second glance, traversing the open hallway between the kitchen area and the rest of the facility.

"Are you in the medical program?" asked Tiara, finally.

"What?"

"Your career training. You know your first aid, obviously. I'm pretty sure you were checking me for signs of a concussion earlier. So far, I'd say you're a pretty good nurse."

"Oh," said Adelaide. "No. I'm studying accounting and finance."

"Seems a strange vocation for a place like Empyrea," said Tiara.

"Really? Why?"

"What is there to account for? Food is provided to those who are hungry. Medicine for the sick. No one here is in need of shelter. Trains and trolleys run to move people from place to place. All these things are provided by the queen."

"Yes, well, I suppose the queen must keep ledgers somewhere. Perhaps in up in Elysium. I don't know. Why else would they offer bookkeeping at the career fair?"

Tiara shrugged.

"I never thought about it really," said Adelaide. "Anyway, I'm half on the fence about switching to the culinary program."

"Like Friend Vivienne and Friend Cosette?"

Adelaide nodded. "Vivienne says they have all the hot girls in the culinary program. I don't know if you've noticed, but she pretty much says whatever's on her mind."

"She said we looked cute together," said Tiara. "What do you think?"

"Yep, that's totally Vivienne for you."

"No," said Tiara, wrapping her hands tighter around Adelaide's arm as she raised her eyes. "Do you think we look cute together?"

"Do I... um--?" Adelaide started to say.

Tiara interrupted her with a quick peck on the lips. "It's been some time since I've had someone to warm my bed, friend."

"Well, I... Oh? Oh?" Adelaide sat up straight, turning her fingers inward to point at the center of her chest. "You mean me?"

Tiara nodded, scooting closer and leaning up against Adelaide. "It's a pretty underhanded plan, but I figure I can take advantage of your guilt over knocking me out and keep you at my beck and call for at least the next twelve hours. Maybe longer if I'm lucky."

"And here's me, thinking Friend Vivienne was the only one who says whatever's on her mind. Maybe it's the knock on your head."

"It's probably a good idea to have someone in my bed to keep watch over me."

"In case you have...? In case I gave you a concussion?"

Tiara nodded. "I think I hear enough guilt oozing from your reply to keep you here. Maybe until the morning."

"You're very sure of yourself."

"Mm-hmm." Tiara turned her head and puckered her lips.

"Mademoiselles, lunch is served!" announced Cosette, striding in from the direction of the kitchen with Vivienne in tow.

Beside Cosette, Vivienne stood looking down at Adelaide, still perched on the sofa with Tiara's hands draped over her and lips poised for a kiss. "I'm taking the trolley home by myself, aren't I?" asked Vivienne.

Adelaide shrugged. Tiara grinned.

"Cosette?" said Vivienne, turning her gaze away from Adelaide and Tiara on the sofa. "I need to pee before we sit down for lunch. Wanna come with me?"

As Adelaide watched Vivienne and Cosette walking away, hand in hand, she slid her arm around Tiara's waist. "Ready for lunch?" asked Adelaide. "Let me help you up."

Tiara leaned over, nuzzling Adelaide's shoulder. "In a minute, friend. In a minute."

* * *

Several hours later

"It's only a single bunk," said Tiara. "But we're down one girl, so there's a spare if you need your own space. Or if you'd rather not, I can still walk you to the trolley stop."

"With your head injury?" quipped Adelaide, "You should be resting. And who would keep an eye on your condition overnight?"

Tiara glanced around at the other empty bunks in the room and opened her mouth to speak. Adelaide pressed a finger to Tiara's lips. "That was a rhetorical question."

"Right," said Tiara, "Let me get you something to change into and I'll show you where the showers are."

* * *

Adelaide stared at Tiara's chin, looking no higher, as the two stood naked outside the shower with Tiara testing the water temperature by sticking a finger in now and then. "If you were like Friend Vivienne," mused Tiara, "sharing your every thought, I wonder what you'd say?"

"I... uh..." Adelaide turned her gaze to her feet.

"Tonight can be whatever you want, friend. No expectations."

"Thank you."

Tiara reached out, lifting Adelaide's fingers in her hand.

"Sometimes I talk a big game," said Adelaide, "but then... when the time comes..."

"No expectations," repeated Tiara.

"Thank you."

"We're doing it again."

"What's that?" said Adelaide.

"Repeating ourselves," said Tiara.

"Yeah, I guess we--"

Tiara interrupted Adelaide's words with her hand on Adelaide's chin, gently lifting her head. Adelaide gazed into Tiara's eyes for a moment before leaning in, lips first, for a quick peck.

"Before the water gets cold..." said Tiara, tugging at Adelaide's hand.

"Right. Thank you."

"You mentioned that already."

Adelaide blushed.

Tiara lifted her hand to rest it on the back of Adelaide's neck. She leaned forward, dipping her head and closing the gap until her mouth was level with Adelaide's ear. Adelaide shivered.

"Cold?" asked Tiara.

"No... No, that's not it." Adelaide shivered again. "Definitely not it."

Tiara smiled, cupping her hands to Adelaide's cheeks. "Let me warm you, friend," said Tiara.

Adelaide shuddered. Tiara leaned in, pressing her mouth to Adelaide's. As they finally parted, Adelaide gasped.

"Are you in the culinary program too?" blurted Adelaide. "Because Vivienne says... she says all the hot girls are in the culinary program."

Tiara shook her head.

"Oh," said Adelaide. "That was probably a stupid thing to say, wasn't it?"

"Let's talk about it in the morning," said Tiara, leaning in again, pulling Adelaide close.

Adelaide nodded and melted into Tiara's embrace.

* * *

Afterword

Still enjoying the story? Let me know your thoughts in the comments.

12