In Service of the Queen Ch. 03

Story Info
Adelaide musters the courage to go visit her girl crush.
4.3k words
4.87
2.1k
4

Part 3 of the 8 part series

Updated 04/17/2024
Created 01/22/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In Service of the Queen

by Davina Lee

An alternative future of women and their adventures

*

Author's Note

Welcome, friend! As we concluded the last chapter, Adelaide had accidentally clobbered Friend Tiara during a football scrimmage at the youth hostel. Adelaide's guilt and concern for Tiara's health, combined with a bit of coaxing from Friend Vivienne and Friend Cosette, results in her spending the night at the youth hostel, sharing a bed with Tiara. This chapter picks up a few days later.

* * *

Chapter 3: Oh, Tiara

Vivienne and Adelaide's apartment, Empyrea City

Adelaide sat at the kitchen table, her textbook open in front of her and a sheet of accounting problems laid out flat next to it. She held a pencil in her hand, twirling it. Adelaide glanced into the living room for a moment, turning her gaze to the window, where the morning light was streaming through, before staring down at the paper again.

"Hey, babe," said Vivienne, breezing by without a stitch on her as she headed into the kitchen.

"Hey," mumbled Adelaide, eyes fixed on her homework.

At the counter, Vivienne poured herself a cup of coffee. With her fingers wrapped around the steaming mug, Vivienne inhaled deeply and turned. She walked back to the table to stand behind Adelaide's chair.

"What?" said Adelaide, glancing back over her shoulder.

"How long you been working on this?"

"I dunno. Since I got up."

"Hm," said Vivienne, staring down at the homework paper before taking a sip of her coffee.

"What's that supposed to--?"

"Good morning, friends," declared Cosette, her bare feet slapping on the floor as she walked over to the kitchen counter, wearing nothing but an oversize T-shirt and a smile.

"Well, look who's finally up," teased Vivienne, as Cosette reached for a mug.

"Someone did not allow me much sleep last night," said Cosette, tilting the carafe to fill her mug. Then, moving to stand next to Adelaide, she added, "I missed you and your sweet kisses, Friend Adelaide."

Cosette leaned forward to place her lips on top of Adelaide's head.

"Addie has other things on her mind," said Vivienne.

"Oh, like the homework," said Cosette, straightening up and blowing across her mug. "Accounting and finance is a challenging field of study."

"I don't think that's it," said Vivenne. "Look." Vivienne pointed to the sheet of homework problems Adelaide had in front of her where nothing was filled in.

"I'm still thinking," complained Adelaide.

"Not about accounting, apparently." Vivienne smirked. "Can I refill your mug, Addie? Perhaps more coffee would help? Get you in that early morning accounting homework mood."

Adelaide pushed back her chair and scowled. She dropped her pencil and rose up, carrying her mug to the carafe on the counter.

"Oh, I know what's wrong..." said Vivienne, biting her lip.

"Viv..." mumbled Adelaide.

Vivienne clutched her hands together, holding them to her chest. "Tiara," she gasped. "Oh, Tiara."

Adelaide turned around to face her. "Viv, I swear."

"Friend Adelaide," said Cosette, "I think I understand your problem. Why you cannot concentrate on your studies."

"You do, huh?"

"Yes, Friend Adelaide. You are in love. L'Amour as we say in Paris. As is the way with love, it happens so easily, and when one least expects it. Often love blooms in the spring, as do the other lovely blossoms, but the end of summer is a common time as well. There are those flowers that must wait until the time is right before they open their sweet--"

"Friend Cosette?"

"Friend Adelaide?"

"I don't think I'm a blossom waiting to open."

"No, you're not," said Vivienne, reaching in to poke Adelaide on the shoulder. "You're a lovesick puppy is what you are."

"I'm not a... Viv..." Adelaide set her mug on the counter and held her forehead in her hand. "It was just one night. I'm not even sure if she--"

"I bet Tiara's in the same sad shape you are, Addie. Why don't you go see her."

"I'm sure she's busy," said Adelaide.

Vivienne leaned forward and whispered. "You won't know unless you ask."

Adelaide turned to Cosette. "Has she said anything...? To you...? About me...?"

"I meant you should ask Tiara," said Vivienne.

"I do not know," said Cosette.

"See?" said Adelaide. "I bet she's forgotten all about me. Except when she has a headache. Then she probably thinks about me clobbering her on the football pitch and curses my name."

"Friend Adelaide," said Cosette. "I do not know if Tiara asks about you, but only because I have not seen her. We keep very different schedules. And, as you may be aware, I've been spending many of my nights here sharing Friend Vivienne's bed."

"You want to share some time in the shower, Friend Cosette?" asked Vivienne, pinching her own nipples and smirking. "Because I'd like to get that lovely ass of yours squeaky clean so I can get back in there."

"Perhaps some breakfast first?" suggested Cosette. "So we have the energy."

"Perhaps I could do my homework in peace," grumbled Adelaide, shuffling back to the table.

"You need breakfast too, Addie," said Vivienne. "You're hangry this morning."

"Hangry? No, I'm not--"

Cosette stopped Adelaide's words with a gentle hand laid on Adelaide's arm. "No, Friend Adelaide. You are in love, and that is a far, far worse fate. We must get some food in you." Cosette clapped her hands together. "Vite, vite!"

"I don't see how breakfast is going to help. And I'm not--"

"You have an important journey to undertake, friend," said Cosette.

Then, turning to Vivienne, Cosette said, "As much as I relish the enthusiastic attention of your sweet tongue plunging into my nether regions, Friend Vivienne, we have a crucial task ahead of us. Come, we shall leave Friend Adelaide to her homework and set our minds to the culinary arts."

"I think an omelet is in order," proclaimed Vivienne, raising her index finger in the air.

"Yes, we must nourish Friend Adelaide's body so that she may have the strength to undertake this journey to nourish her heart." Cosette grinned, reaching for an apron that she then held out to Vivienne.

"You two are weird," mumbled Adelaide.

"And you're just a lovesick puppy," said Vivienne, tucking her head under the strap of the apron before reaching over to pinch Adelaide's cheek and wiggle it. "Don't worry, babe, we'll have your tummy topped up and put you on that trolley to your sweet Tiara in short order."

Adelaide stared at her homework paper and shook her head. "Make sure you wash your hands first," she said. "Both of you. I shudder to think where those fingers have been."

* * *

Outside the Empyrea City Youth Hostel, thirty minutes later

Adeleaide walked from the trolley stop toward the sprawling expanse of lawn in front of the youth hostel. She took a dozen steps and stopped. "This is stupid," mumbled Adelaide to no one in particular. "It was just one night. We didn't even do anything. I just breathed on her neck until we both fell asleep."

Adelaide stared at the youth hostel building in the distance for a moment, before turning on her heel. "She probably doesn't even remember my name," Adelaide lamented, as she took the first steps back to the trolley stop.

"But that shower. Damn if that wasn't hot..." Again, Adelaide stopped in her tracks. "Oh... Forget it."

Adelaide shook her head once, shoved her hands in her pockets, and stared at her shoes as she shuffled back toward the trolley stop.

"Excuse me, friend." The familiar voice caused Adelaide to look up.

"Oh, it is you," said Tonje. "Hi, Adelaide."

"Um, hi, Tonje."

"If you're here to see Friend Tiara, I would suggest walking the other direction. Toward the hostel. She should be home soon."

"Tiara...?" Adelaide left her mouth gaping a moment before continuing. "Why would I be here to--?"

"You were here to inquire about signing on with our football club, were you?"

"Um... no."

"Didn't think so." Tonje took Adelaide by the arm. "Come on, I'll make you some tea while we wait."

"I don't know," said Adelaide. "It took me about three cups of coffee before I could even think about boarding the trolley. Friend Cosette and Friend Vivienne may have had something to do with that."

Tonje laughed. "I'll make it an herbal tea. Something to soothe your nerves."

"Why does everyone think I'm nervous about this?"

Tonje took Adelaide's hand between both of hers and held it until Adelaide's fingers steadied.

Adelaide let out a long, slow breath. "She's not even here," said Adelaide. "Isn't that what you said? Wait for her to get home? I should just go."

"Friend Adelaide." Tonje squeezed once at Adelaide's fingers before letting her hands drop. "Come. She won't be long."

Adelaide reached out and put her hand in the crook of Tonje's arm. "Thanks, friend."

* * *

The youth hostel lounge, ten minutes later

"Friend Adelaide?" Tiara stopped before she reached the sofa where Adelaide and Tonje sat. Tiara bent to place the long, rectangular case she was carrying at her feet. "It is you," she said.

"I'll leave you two alone," said Tonje, rising with her empty mug dangling from her finger and reaching out to Adelaide. Tonje snatched up Adelaide's empty mug, flashed a smile, and strode away down the hall.

"Thank you for the tea, friend," called Adelaide.

"Did you want some tea, Tiara?" asked Adelaide, jumping to her feet. "It hasn't been that long. I'm sure the kettle's still hot. Tonje showed me where--"

"Friend Adelaide?" Tiara stepped around the case on the floor to move closer.

"I'm sorry," said Adelaide, staring at her feet. "I should go. I didn't mean to... You're obviously busy--"

"Friend Adelaide?" repeated Tiara.

"Um... Friend Tiara?" Adelaide raised her eyes. "I think we're doing it again. Repeating ourselves."

Tiara smirked. "It's good to see you again."

"You too," said Adelaide, before moving her gaze to the case Tiara had brought in. "Are you going on a trip?"

Tiara cocked her head. "A trip...?"

"Your luggage. What's it say on it? Deus Contra Machina. Is that a port you're visiting? A train station? I don't think I've ever heard of it."

"It's my band," said Tiara.

"Deus Contra Machina?" repeated Adelaide. "Sounds Italian."

Tiara nodded. She picked up the case, carried it over to rest beside the sofa, and sat down. "It's Latin. Our lead singer thought it sounded metal."

"You play in a band?"

Again, Tiara nodded. "It keeps me busy. And practice ran pretty late."

"What time did you get up?"

"Yesterday."

"No," said Adelaide, "This morning. What time did you get up for practice?"

"Yesterday."

"Yesterday?"

"I've been out all night."

"All night?" said Adelaide. "With the bump on your head? Friend Tiara! You shouldn't be... You were up all night?"

Tiara chuckled. "We were on a creative bender. It was just flowing, you know? I didn't really notice what time it was until the sun was coming up. I'll have a nap later. I'll be fine."

Adelaide stood up. "I should go. You need your sleep."

"I'm still pretty wired, friend. It's gonna take me a while to wind down." Tiara reached up to take Adelaide's hand. "And since you're already here, I thought maybe--"

"You sure you don't want some tea? It's herbal."

Tiara shook her head and tugged at Adelaide's fingertips. Adelaide sat back down, staring at her feet. Neither woman said anything for a while. It was Adelaide who spoke first.

"Friend Tiara?" said Adelaide. "What do you play? In the band. What's in the case? A guitar?"

Tiara nodded.

"It seems the wrong shape. Shouldn't it be curvier?" Adelaide traced the outline of an imaginary hourglass with her hands in the air.

"It's a bass guitar. And it's electric, so it's probably not the shape you're used to seeing."

"Electric? You plug it in the wall? Or is it batteries?"

"It plugs into an amp."

Adelaide shook her head. "I've never heard of that."

"I'll show you," said Tiara, springing to her feet. "Have a seat. I'll be right back."

Adelaide opened her mouth to speak, but Tiara was already down the hall.

* * *

Tiara returned a minute later dragging a half-meter square black box with her. She held a pair of headphones draped over her neck, the coiled cord bouncing as Tiara walked back to the sofa.

"Hold this please, friend." Tiara plucked up the headphones and handed them to Adelaide. Taking the end of the coiled cord, Tiara plugged the headphones into the box. She unwrapped another cord from the black box and plugged into the electrical socket on the wall.

"This is how you play in your band?"

"Oh no," said Tiara. "This is just a practice amp. The girls would probably throw me out in the street if I plugged in the one I use for gigs. And we're going to use headphones so we won't disturb anyone."

"Won't disturb anyone with what?"

"Bass lessons." Tiara grinned. "I'm giving you a bass lesson."

"Me? No. I don't... I've never played an instrument. And you should be sleeping, friend, not wasting your time trying to teach me. I don't have the first idea about what I'm doing. You sure you don't want some tea?"

Tiara ignored Adelaide's complaint. Instead, she pulled the case over and leaned forward to open it up. Plugging in one end of yet another cord, Tiara handed the instrument to Adelaide, who sat staring at it on her lap. Tiara plugged the other end of the cord into the amp and flipped a switch on the back. A soft orange glow filtered out from the amp's insides.

"Headphones," said Tiara. "Let me help you." Tiara picked up the headphones, holding them in both hands to spread the ear pads apart, and deposited them on Adelaide's head.

Tiara reached down to lift the bass from Adelaide's lap and turn it to rest on her thigh. Adelaide frowned as she looked down at the instrument she now held.

"Put your right hand here," said Tiara.

"What?" said Adelaide, pulling the headphone's ear pad away from her ear.

Tiara grinned. "I need your right hand."

"Oh," said Adelaide, extending her hand.

"I'll need these two fingers." Tiara picked up Adelaide's hand and brought Adelaide's index and middle fingers to rest on her palm. Tiara ran her thumb once over the length of Adelaide's two fingers.

Adelaide moved her gaze to Tiara's hand.

"Rest your thumb here," said Tiara, moving Adelaide's right hand to the fattest string on the instrument.

"Like this?"

"Mm-hmm." Tiara let go of Adelaide's hand. "Now pull on this string with your first finger."

"Like this?" Adelaide pulled. "Ooh, it made a sound! It's supposed to do that, right?"

Tiara nodded. "Now do it with your middle finger. Pull it right across to your thumb. Like you're pinching."

As another small sound leaked from around the headphone's ear pads, Adelaide smiled.

Tiara shifted her position on the sofa to sit closer. She placed her own right hand to hover just over the top of Adelaide's. "Now your index finger again. And then your middle. Like this."

Tiara curled her own fingers so they brushed over the back of Adelaide's one at a time. Adelaide mimicked Tiara's motion, pulling her fingers across the strings.

"Good. Now, pretend your fingers are your legs and you're running." Tiara demonstrated by dragging her own fingers across the back of Adelaide's hand, rapidly, back and forth.

"You must have me confused with my sister, Friend Tiara. I hate running."

Tiara smirked. "I've never met your sister. Does she play an instrument?"

Adelaide shook her head. "She likes to run."

"Forget about running, then," said Tiara. "Let's gallop."

Adelaide stopped pulling at the strings and turned her gaze from her own right hand to settle her eyes on Tiara.

Tiara touched her own two fingers to the back of Adelaide's hand. Adelaide shivered briefly. Tiara began to tap out a rhythm alternating her index and middle finger. Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump.

"Like this?" said Adelaide, moving her eyes back to her hand and alternately pulling with her fingers. From the headphones now hanging loose around Adelaide's neck, leaked the sound bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump.

"That's it. You've got it. Now, speed it up a little."

Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump.

"Like a horse," said Adelaide, grinning.

Tiara nodded. "You've definitely got it. Congratulations. Now you can stand in for me if I ever miss a gig. You're really picking this up quick."

Adelaide laughed. "I downed three cups of coffee before I came over, friend. That might have something to do with it," she said. And then, wiggling the fingers of her left hand, "What do I do with my other hand? I'm pretty sure I need to know that before anybody's going to let me join a band."

Tiara scooted closer to Adelaide until she was pressed tight. She reached over Adelaide's shoulders and rested her left hand on top of Adelaide's. Pausing for a moment, Tiara dragged her thumb over the back of Adelaide's hand.

Adelaide shivered again.

"Sorry," said Tiara.

"Do you hear that?" asked Adelaide.

"What's that?"

"It's your band mates crying because you sent me to a gig in your place and they just realized I don't know what I'm doing."

Tiara chuckled. She tilted her head to lean against Adelaide for a moment and straightened back up. Tiara wrapped her left hand around Adelaide's so their fingers were lined up together, with Tiara's on top. Tiara moved Adelaide's hand to a string and pressed her index finger down. "You do your other hand," she said. "Remember how? Like you're running... galloping."

Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump.

"Ohh," said, "It's a different note now."

Tiara nodded, wrapping herself tighter around Adelaide beside her. "Keep doing that. I'm going to move your finger on your left hand. Get ready... Now."

Tiara pulled Adelaide's finger to a new position on the same string.

Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump.

"It's a lower note," said Adelaide.

"Mm-hmm. Down a step." Tiara nodded. "Remember where you were before?"

"Um... I think so. Yeah."

Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump.

"Okay, move your finger back there. Ready go."

Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump.

Adelaide broke out into a grin.

"One more time, and then back to the lower note." Tiara tapped the rhythm on the back of Adelaide's hand.

Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump.

"And lower still."

Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump.

"Then back up here."

Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump.

"Then back up where you started."

Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump.

"Now," said Tiara, pulling her fingers off of Adelaide's hand. "Now you're ready to stand in for me. Anytime. Anywhere. You got this."

Adelaide let her fingers drop from the instrument and let out a sigh. The corners of her mouth ticked up.

"Keep going," teased Tiara. "The song's not over yet."

"Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump," said Adelaide, grinning.

"Mm-hmm. On the strings." Tiara tapped out the same rhythm on Adelaide's shoulder. Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump.

Adelaide let the bass perched on her thigh slip to lay flat on her lap. "Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump," she said, leaning closer to Tiara. "Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump."

Tiara tapped out a reply. Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump. "Lesson's over, I take it?" she said.

Adelaide perched her lips just below Tiara's ear. "Bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump, ba-da-bump."

"Let me just put this thing away." Tiara scooted away from Adelaide with one hand wrapped around the neck of her bass. She slid the instrument out from between them as Adelaide leaned in to narrow the gap.

12