In The Forest Away From It All

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He'd carried a small radio, another of his father's items but he was not sure whether the batteries were still working. It was an old thing Mr. Wensley carried in his pocket when he moved about his daily routines. His father listened only to 'Caucasian' musicians because according to him, they had way better music. He often raged on about how 'good' white folk were losing all their originality to African American folk. Mr. Wensley had no room to accommodate any other race. It was part of why he supported the war so vehemently.

"To hell with all of them; we ought to show them just how great America is." His father liked to say.

Ray cut off some branches hanging from a tree and laid them on the floor to cover the dust. First order of business, make a meal. He took out the bag with the dead rabbit- the animal was soaked in its own blood. First he placed the light bag under some rocks and gathered some dry firewood he had picked up along the way and placed them next to the rocks. Ray cringed at the smell of drying blood that emanated from the polythene bag and cleared his throat. He put his best survival skills at work and began to skin the animal.

"Shit, that stinks!" he exclaimed carefully, severing the what was left of head from the rest of the body. The process was easy all thanks to his sharp knife.

Once he was done gutting it and skinning it, he forced the knife splitting the animal's rib cage right in the middle and tied it to two thick sticks on both ends making it easier to create a slow roast. The fire was easy to create with the lighter he brought with him. As he watched the meat cook slowly, he stared out into the forest as thoughts filled his troubled mind. Now that he was free, he could not help but wonder whether he would make it. He was sitting on the slightly cold floor leaned back against the bumpy rock behind him. He had envisaged a life much simpler than this when he thought about leaving home.

Ray had no way of telling how far he was from Canada so he decided to save his radio for later. Tonight, he just wanted to sit in silence. The forest was still a dangerous place and he needed to listen to his surroundings. He ate his well roasted meat and saved some for the morning. The rain came as he fell asleep and he snuggled deeper into the cave in a bid to warm up. It was easier then, falling asleep to the sound of rain hitting the ground.

CHAPTER 3

The world was not quite what it used to be especially for someone who'd lived as long as Thesipha had. Human behaviour was a concept she was still trying to understand despite all the negativity she had seen already. Quite frankly, she had kept her distance for as long as she could and she had no intentions of changing that. She had seen wars as they began to unfold and many more over the years. War was definitely not unfamiliar to a creature such as she; in fact, she understood the necessity of it all too well. Thesipha had watched from a distance aware of the consequences of fraternizing with the humans from all the warnings she had received from her superior. The last of her kind, she had no problem being by herself; at least not at first. She knew only what she needed to- human beings were dangerous.

Thesipha knew of a world however much different than this. In her bubble far away from it all, the world had seen changes beyond her wildest dreams. Had she not kept tabs of the decades past, she would have already lost count of her time on earth.

Her first years in segregation were the worst; it was like taking a drug away from an addict. Her entire purpose for existence relied upon the earth and its evolution. She was a nymph, but nowadays she was not sure what that meant exactly. Nymphs were created by the gods during the early days of humanity in order to guide man. Legend had it that they were forged when the gods mixed their own blood with clay and magnificently worked metals of the earth. They were the most magnificent of creatures, second only to the gods- natural beings born from the deepest of the planets resources. As long as she could recall, she had lived amongst her own kind in the presence of greatness.

As she walked in her perfect utopia, she thought about the days when men thrived among the gods; when human beings knew what was required of them. Thesipha enjoyed her calling; all nymphs did, as far as she was concerned. It felt good to see how the earth came to life as the years went by. She'd seen the civilization of man as she sat atop Mt. Olympus amongst the wisest of gods and she relished in every moment of it. Nymphs were the purest of creatures, youthful in all ways both human and godly.

"Half-god, half- human, half-animal- intricately belonging to the earth itself," she liked to say. Thesipha remained the very being she was meant to be for as long as it had been required of her.

These days, she had no intention of mingling let alone caring for anyone but herself. It had become easier that way. She waited for years for a sign that would lead her back to her destiny but nothing came. At time she sat in her solitude recollecting on the times when gods lived amongst men. Such were times when everything was magical. She knew of the weaknesses of man for they too were just like gods. The gods were able to walk amongst men undetected for ages and blended well- unproblematic. Men on the other hand were taught to praise and fear the gods, convinced that they stood no chance amongst them but Thesipha knew better. The gods in their entirety were powerful beyond human perception but the similarities they bore were endless. But there were no gods without human beings; they complemented each other.

Men were created in the image and likeness of God who in turn made it so the gods would be too. They were quite distinguished from other animals not only in appearance but mostly in their ability to use their resources to survive as well as create. Thesipha had seen the gods in all their glory and in their worst. Perhaps it all explained why they loathed human vices so much; because it reminded them of their own weaknesses. Before they were called the seven deadly sins by the Roman Catholic Church; pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth were all just part of nature. The humans were the weak versions of gods and that's how it always was. Never in a thousand years had she thought she would have to say goodbye to the only life she'd known.

Her matron was the goddess Artemis whom Thesipha owed her life. If not for Artemis, she and the rest of her kind might have never made it out of Europe and the Mediterranean. The feuds between humans were not unusual in their glory days, if anything, the gods relished in conflict resolution. They enjoyed watching the humans go at it even if for a little while just for sport before intervening. Everything always seemed to work out. They often had a laugh and discussed human insolence before intervening. The gods were proud of their ability to see everything as well as control it. As for the nymphs, they had their place in Olympus. Thesipha took it upon herself to interact with the people by assuming human form every now and then. As the gods watched from a distance, she was on the ground spreading messages of peace and relief during troubled times. The gods were enforcers while nymphs took on a more nurturing role. Not only did they tend to the needs of humans they did so for the gods as well.

Nothing could ever compare to the Greek empire; a period when men were second to Gods. She'd kept the stories of great men alive through journaling that had been her way of passing the time. These days it had become her way of dealing with the loneliness. She wrote about ancient Greece; the love, money, war all through to its downfall until she could not write any longer. An immortal being, she sometimes wished her life would come to an end. Being locked up in a prison of her own choosing was not any better. Her once youthful state had changed gradually over the years and it was all thanks to human wickedness; at least that was what she was made to believe.

Once upon a time, it was unusual for gods to interact with human beings. The gods often did as they pleased; sometimes even disguising themselves as animals that walked amongst men but never were they allowed to interact with them. But just like humans, they too liked to bend the rules every now and then. Thesipha heard stories of gods cohabiting with nymphs but scandalously so with humans as well. Nymphs knew everything for they had the best of both worlds. Their most beloved of traits was their ability to remain discreet always and she did so with utmost grace even when the fate of her existence depended on it. How she missed that world; that was before the gods mingled with man so much that it destroyed everything.

The fall of gods was gradual even though it seemed so instant to those who had not seen it coming. Had it been in her power, she would have made sure every being abided by the rules but alas. She was just but a foot soldier in a war she had no control over. If only she could turn back time, she would have warned the gods about getting too close to the humans, maybe then she would still be at home-free to roam as she pleased. When gods began to lust for human flesh, they began to lose their strength. They began to be envious and vengeful, eventually turning on each other. That was what humans did to mighty beings. Thesipha knew better than to ever leave her bubble. She would stay there waiting for Artemis to return and hopefully restore her to glory once again. She looked out into the open fields as she marveled at the poppy flowers that extended all through the horizon. Whatever existed beyond there, she would never know.

CHAPTER 4

Ray did not think he could take another day of his unpredictable journey. He'd been in the forest for two days trying to get to some sort of clear path. His feet were killing him from the blisters that were now beginning to form. He had no idea why but his shoes were starting to feel a little too tight on his feet. From his pocket, he pulled out a tiny mirror and checked on his bloodshot eyes. He had not slept very well since the rain made every night windy cold and miserable. Unfortunately, the water had washed into his alcove getting the contents in his bag wet as well as his own outfit. Since then, he has not taken any chances. If he had not let his guard down, he would have known that the water from the rain would have ruined everything. Already out of food, he desperately longed for something to eat.

He trod on lazily feeling the weight of his backpack pulling him back; another reason to feel like giving up. Ray stopped to take a breath holding on to his knees and panting hard. The fire in his lungs strained his breath. So engrossed was he in his own fatigue that he failed to realize he had finally come to an open field. A smile formed across his face when he spotted a waterfall in the distance. Quickly reaching into his bag for a pair of binoculars, he leapt up joyfully. He was out of fresh drinking water causing his lips to start chapping painfully.

"I found it! I fucking found it!" he screamed frantically when he spotted the bridge around the mountains much clearer.

From the foggy view it seemed only a stone throw away but he knew better. A surge of newly found energy swept through him as he adjusted his bag letting the binoculars hang over his chest. If he hurried he could make it to the bridge before dusk; he had about four hours at least. Between his cotton dry mouth and the rumbling of his stomach, the only thing that kept was keeping him afloat now was that new found hope. The cold breeze hit his face and he shivered; from his mouth a cloud of smoke emanated. His hands were freezing despite the gloves he was wearing. Rubbing his hands together for heat he put his best foot forward.

The journey grew tougher and colder hours on while the pain in his feet grew ever more excruciating. Every step warranted a painful wince. He had been checking on his watch so much he felt like time was going still by the minute. Hours had probably passed but he was too tired to think about it; too tired to do anything, yet his feet were somehow still moving. Each swallow was painful, his eyes heavy as his strides grew longer.

'Just a few more steps' he kept convincing himself until by some type of miracle the old passage bridge emerged ahead of him.

He smiled faintly afraid that even the little facial movements were a waste of energy. Ray was happy although he was worried about his state. The sores in his feet must have gotten bigger because they were now too unbearable for him. The bridge was now visible and it looked nothing like what he expected. There was a swollen river raging so loudly it made him dizzy when he looked below. The path he was on grew narrower as he approached the dilapidated bridge. It was a wooden bridge probably a lot bigger than it looked today. The bridge was covered in twined plants hardly exposing what it once was, a work of art and missing some steps; hopefully nothing he could not handle.

He took his first step keeping his eyes on the steps. One step- the bridge shook and he held on to the weak sides afraid he would fall off. So far so good! Each step was meticulous as he tried his best not to focus on the vicious roars that came from below. His heart was pounding vigorously as if threatening to break through his rib cage. Slowly, he set his foot on another plank- the wood was broken into half making it thinner and he licked his lower lip nervously and crossed his fingers letting his entire weight fall onto the board. That was a relief!

The next board looked better, stronger so he stepped on it hastily with profound confidence. No sooner had he finished taking that step than he realized what a big mistake it was. His left foot went right through the plank while he quite unexpectedly struggled to hang on to whatever he could but it was too late. He felt it when he reached out to grab the rope to the left and missed it by a whisker, falling off. He called out for help as he lost his balance knowing that no one could possibly hear him; not in the wilderness.

Down he went hearing the river grow much louder as he plunged into a state of oblivion. His life flashed before his eyes as his mind wandered deep into his biggest fears. He closed his eyes and hoped for the best. At least he could swim, he consoled himself. Still he had a feeling he stood no chance at surviving the fall. He landed hard on the rocks covered by the ferocious waves hitting his head and he winced in pain choking on the water immediately passing out.

Thesipha liked to take a dip in the river every day to clean herself. She enjoyed the solitude because she did not have to worry about anyone coming upon her nakedness there. The cool water did her justice for her body had a temperature of her own. She had walked to the river naked like she always did. Her home was not far from it though. She had used a number of natural materials to create a large tent-like house that suited her perfectly. Thesipha liked the sound of the waves as the river flowed downstream. She could feel the life in the river; she could hear it speak to her -- the wind, the trees, earth- they all said something but only she could hear it.

The river was heavier than usual today and she wondered if all was well. As she put her first foot inside, she knew immediately that something was amiss. Something or someone was messing with the alignment of her sanctuary but she could not figure it out. Thesipha submerged her body into the river allowing herself to focus on its energy as she closed her eyes. Her elves' like ears were perched listening to the day and she found herself swimming with light strokes lost in the deep soothing sounds. When she finally opened her eyes, she found herself deeper down the course of the river and ahead, she spotted something.

At first Thesipha was petrified for she knew that was no wild animal. Panic stricken, she swam closer to the edge where her worst fears were confirmed. Swept up on the river bed was a human! A young man lay half- dead drenched in water. She wondered what to do careful not to get too close. With a tiny stick, she poked him on the shoulder but he remained immobile.

"Excuse me! Who are you?" She tried to sound polite despite her fear of the unknown. No answer came so she decided to get closer.

It was clear that the man was unconscious but she could not figure out how he had made it into her sanctuary. Her life in isolation was determined by her magic bubble that warded off the prying eye of man and was well protected from the outside world. The land around which she inhabited was 30 square miles and she was certain that no human or human derived creature could enter. She felt for his pulse and found him breathing- barely so she revived him by pressing hard on his chest with her palms. He had swallowed a lot of water; frankly, it was a miracle that he was still breathing.

The young man coughed up the water opening his eyes for a second to say, "I made it to Canada," faintly before he fell back into his swoon.

Thesipha had no idea what he was talking about and her efforts to wake him were futile. She took a deep breath and reluctantly carried him to her shelter. His sudden appearance needed some sort of explanation and she would wait however long to get it.

CHAPTER 5

Usually, the night came and went faster than lightning but this time, Thesipha had been counting every second. Her hands had been shaking all night for the first time in a long time, not because she could finally feel the temperature drop but because she was scared. Such feelings could relate to a dark era for Nymphs and she worried that this could be it for her. Her and the goddess's magic should have been strong enough to keep everyone away yet somehow this strange looking man had managed to transverse her barrier. She worried that perhaps he was not the only one. So afraid was she that she barely touched his bag when looking for clues- she had used a stick to go through its contents and nothing made sense in there. A spear next to her seat was the closest thing she had as a weapon and she would not hesitate to use it.

She had been biting her lips nervously watching the man all night unable to sleep from his snoring on top of her fear. He had broken his leg from what seemed like an accident and had a bruise at the back of his head. Thesipha wondered what could have happened to him, how he got into her bubble and how many others like him there were. As she watched the sun rise, she heard him move, turning immediately to catch him opening his eyes.

Thesipha was not taking any chances with the human. She watched him keenly barely breathing as he started to look around the room until he spotted her. The look on his face said it all; confused, scared- she could not differentiate between the two.

"Who are you?" she asked curtly, picking the spear up and pointing it to his face. Fear that was the emotion she was going for. She was happy it was working.

Ray tried to get up in defense, almost falling off the bed. He had no idea where he was and what he was looking at.

"Who am I? Who are you...? And where the hell am I?" he screeched, holding on to the edge of the bed.

Thesipha was not intimidated neither by his raspy voice nor his physique. Ray on the other hand was scared to death. His heart was pumping faster and his head hurt like crazy. He remembered what had happened to him. He should have been dead. Was he dreaming?

"Wha-what are you?" Ray called out. She was standing in the light; her eyes, a bright luxurious blue.

'What am I? You ask that like I am a thing! You ask it as if I owe you some type of explanation. No sir! I ought to be the one asking what you are doing here!!" Thesipha was offended by those remarks.