In The Forest Away From It All

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ray's presence in her bubble had done her a lot of good. She had therefore explained to him how it worked. The bubble remained intact as long as all the magical creatures remained untouched. Before he arrived, she had been feeling weak which was evident in her physical features however, their interactions had made her magic return. Thesipha hoped that Artemis was not able to sense that.

"I'm so glad I found you Ray," she rushed to hug him when she found him sitting quietly under a tree. She had taken a liking to the young man feeling like it was her responsibility to take care of him. No doubt, he made her feel like a true nymph once again.

"What happened?" he asked relieved to see her. The embrace was unexpected but he did not mind.

She explained how Artemis had arrived out of the blue after years of disappearance. It was as if the dead had come to life-she said. From Ray's angle, he could tell Thesipha was afraid of her.

"I'm sure if you show her what good progress we've made, she might just be as accommodative of me as you are. Maybe I can prove her wrong about humans if you just intro..." Ray did not get the chance to finish his statement.

"No! That is not and will never be an option. You don't know Artemis like I do. Although a kind goddess in her own right, she is spiteful and vengeful. Artemis does not reward disobedience with understanding, she punishes."

Every time she started to talk about Artemis her hands would shake and Ray held her close. He did not want to get either of them in trouble so he did as she asked.

"I brought your things along with a magical piece of cloth. With a few tricks here and there, you can be able to create a shelter for yourself. What is it you called it, a tent?" she joked.

It was nice to see she was learning from his teaching. He did not think he had anything to offer such a wise being. She went on to tell him that she had cast a magical spell on the cloth that would help him stay undetected for the time he was in hiding. He chose a spot that had an amazing view of Thesipha's house so he could see her every day. She promised to bring him something to eat as she went back with a fully stocked basket. A tent would not be hard to make- what would be hard was suddenly having to be so far away from her. He thought he would have been prepared for the moment- that he was okay with but this was an adjustment. Thesipha was kind enough to bring along some blankets with her which made it easier for him to create a resting area for himself. Times like these, he was glad he had his radio.

Thesipha returned to an unsuspecting Artemis and prepared a sacred meal which they shared together. It was an awkwardly silent dinner, the old goddess devouring the food like she had not eaten in days. The nymph was glad she was enjoying the meal at least. They said little to each other Artemis expressing just how tired she was before retiring into the holy room. Thesipha waited until she was out cold then snuck out once again. As much as she feared the goddess, she could not help but think about Ray and how he was doing out there. She had developed a soft spot for him and in a way had gotten attached.

Ray lay on the carpeted floor staring into the night sky. The stars were faint but he could see them from a distance. He thought of the story of Orion the Hunter and Artemis and wondered how the world of mortals existed with such little knowledge.

"Care for some company?" Thesipha appeared out of the blue like a beaming angel. She had crossed his mind a bit too much lately; he had not expected to see her so soon.

She looked as beautiful as the stars above.

"How did you manage to get away?" he was concerned. Her dress flowed elegantly as she sat right next to him.

"She's asleep. Well I may have added a little something in her food to ensure she remains true to her fatigue. Don't worry, it's totally natural an non-toxic. She won't even know." He was relieved to know that they did not have to worry about Artemis.

"How's the leg doing?" she knew it was improving for she had checked on it every day but she could not fight the feelings of concern. She had already made it his mission to take care of him.

"Do you mind if I ask why I have to hide like this?" Ray understood the uncertainty that came with being around a stranger but he was willing to change Artemis' mind if only Thesipha gave him the chance.

Thesipha's heart skipped a beat at the thought of that. It was clear that Ray had a long way to go in understanding how things worked.

"Ray, Artemis is a goddess; do you know what that means? Put yourself in her shoes for once and think about it will you? She is old and grey now an unnatural way for a deity to age. She is no longer the youthful goddess she once was but at least she is alive. The rest of her kind is gone, wiped away after using up all their powers to fight each other. In the beginning, gods had no reason to fight each other, at least not to the death. All these problems started when they began to mingle with human beings. Feelings of jealousy and revenge were inevitable when it came to fighting for a mortal's love. Artemis knows this better than anyone because she was the only one who saved her energy for herself. Now tell me, if it was you, would you be so lenient with mortals?" she kept eye contact just to see if he really got it.

"Gods are supposed to be immortal beings, stronger than you can ever fathom. Artemis once protected nymphs, made sure we were taken care of but now, she holds our kind in a utopia. She sees herself as the last vestige of purity and protection for women and nymphs alike. Nymphs are like caviar for demigods and demigods are like Wagyu steak. One is a delicious treat and a show of class and the other is all that and a hearty meal. You are in grave danger, which is why I have to hide you Ray. You have no idea what Artemis is capable of."

The steak reference threw him off completely. He did understand though that he stood no chance against the goddess so he let that slide.

"You know, the world could have used your help on several occasions. It still could you know. How come you never helped the women during wars? You've been locked in here when stuff like Vietnam war keeps happening." Ray asked. He was only trying to understand her.

Thesipha found the question quite confusing. She had been so caught up in her own bubble; she had not stopped for a second to think of the world outside.

"I'm not sure. I'm ashamed to be honest because I had no clue what's been happening out there. I suppose things just changed, not for everyone but for me as well. I used to live outside human villages once upon a time helping sick women and children. We would sow our magic on fields with failing crops razed by war to restore their fertility. The people had no idea we were there but our presence left a sense of peace and healing. We nymphs were fulfilling our duty to the world but that was a different time. We no longer exist like we used to, it's no longer that simple. I guess after I was separated from my people it no longer made sense. I was weakened and forced to retreat into hiding. I was under the impression that this was the only way to save whatever power I had left. Now that I know what it's been like all these years, I can't fight the desire to go out and help people; If only that were up to me."

Thesipha knew that everything she did was because Artemis asked it of her. She had no control over what she did with her body- Artemis owned her. That's just how it was.

Ray realized that they were far too similar. He felt the same way when he was at home with his family so in a way, he could relate. He wanted to make her feel better so he told her stories of how he volunteered in soup kitchens and joined anti-war protests because he knew it would irk his old man. He shared a funny story of how he had once been beaten by his father for listening to Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech on his father's radio and they laughed.

"I noticed that you liked listening to music so I brought you a surprise." Thesipha was carrying a bottle of mead that she had made herself along with a tiny harp she had kept from her time in the Greek empire. She began to play a heavenly tune which he seemed to enjoy very much. She too was curious about the music from his world so he played her a few on his radio. The blend of different instruments to create music was a concept she had not yet grasped.

"What is that?" she asked. He explained what production was as well as he could, informing her of the innovations that had come up in the entertainment industry. The closest he could get to a television was through a magazine so he had to explain it to her like she was a toddler. He enjoyed the way she was finally letting him in. All he wanted to do was make her smile and it was working finally. He could smell the coconut oil in her hair so fresh he wanted to stay there forever. He reached out and kissed her hand careful not to cross the line. Thesipha's heart beat faster but she invited the feeling that made her want to be with him. Ray pulled her closer, letting her head look into his and he waited listening for her heart beat a moment longer then perched his lips on her. Thesipha felt like her soul had been trapped for so long and he was setting it free. The taste of his lips on hers sent her to a place of coloured rainbows and all things pure and when they finally broke for a breath; neither of them could take their eyes off the other. Ray was glad she had let him taste her even just for a moment. It was all he wanted- a chance to prove to her that there was still hope for humanity.

As Thesipha played the harp, Ray found himself reminded of a song he thought was perfect for the moment. He started to sing along to the melody finding the lyrics from Bo Diddley's Pretty Thing. She loved the song tuning her melody to fit his. It was the sweetest thing anyone had ever done for her.

Thesipha realized just how much she had missed being in hiding all this time. They continued drinking and talked all night staring into the stars almost losing track of time.

CHAPTER 9

Thesipha was yet to understand why Artemis was back. She liked to keep her matters private which Thesipha usually did not mind but lately, she had found a distraction that she liked. She had been meeting with Ray per usual and Artemis had not suspected a thing. She knew the danger but the company with someone wholly new was refreshing. The youthful nymph found herself daydreaming about Ray who she now felt was her counterpart. She'd wake up and wonder about him. She thinks if he'd eaten, she'd ponder what he'd say to her when she went to him. The kiss they shared had sent her over the moon with conflicting emotions and feelings. Being with someone, let alone a human, like that- had had awaken a desire.

Thesipha felt sad that he'd avoided talking about it. He wouldn't get too close to her. He would even apologize when their skin grazed. He was a fit young soft spoken man with an interest in making the world a better place and that was enough for her to like him. Her heart beat with joy thinking about his messy blonde hair or how sweet his lips tasted. For his young age, he had managed to impress her more than any mortal she had met in her entire life- although she didn't know many mortals in her thousand some odd years. How she struggled to keep a straight face when he showered her with compliments. She had eyes for a mortal once when she had taken the form of a human girl but that had ended fast when she revealed true self to them in a bid to be honest. They had called her a freak of nature and shunned her. Belonging to the mortals was something Artemis warned her of.

"Can you hear me?" Artemis' strict voice came cutting through her whirlwind of thoughts. Thesipha had missed what she had said the first time.

"I said it is time for us to leave this place behind, Thesipha. That's why I came back for you." It was better when she had not heard her the first time.

Thesipha's heart sank but she remained silent. The first thing that came to her mind was this place, the animals, the plants... even Ray. She did not want to leave, but Artemis had her survival in mind. Artemis always warned a time would come when the world would be destroyed- but now? After all that Ray had told her. The horrors he had told her of made her feel like this world couldn't end- this was their hell.

"What about the home I created here. Am I just supposed to destroy it or leave it behind, Goddess?" she did not want to sound stubborn or indignant but she also couldn't help herself.

Artemis gave her a stern look, studying her face as if waiting to hear another word come from her mouth.

"Are you suggesting that I do not know what is best for us?" she shot back watching for a reaction, "After all the centuries you've survived under man's rule?"

Of course not! That was not what Thesipha meant and she knew it. Artemis was manipulative as she had expected. All the time and age and loss of power had turned Artemis bitter and weak.

"We will leave together in a fortnight. By then I'm sure you will be ready." Artemis said it as if she was doing her a favour.

Thesipha fought to keep her mouth shut- she had half the mind to protest. But the disappointment written all over her face gave it away. Artemis saw her expression and it concerned her. In all the years as a deity, she had never had to explain herself to a nymph.

The day felt longer than ever as the nymph went on with her routine only that nothing she did was on her own accord anymore. Artemis watched her like a Hawk. Even when Thesipha thought she wasn't being watched the god could see her. Ray needed to know what was going on before Artemis became aware of his presence.

The evening approached. With that Artemis' age showed, she was yawning and tired and ready to retire for the nightZ Once Artemis left to rest, Thesipha snuck up the hills to see Ray who was waiting eagerly for her. She carried some food for him and mead she had made for Artemis.

The night progressed but Thesipha's mind was lost in thought, until Ray broke through, "Is something troubling you?", he looked to her concerned and curious. Since she had arrived there something was amiss. Thesipha was not sure where to begin. She hoped to spare Ray all the drama as she poured him another drink. What would she say? That she wanted him to leave? Because she didn't- at least not anymore. She just couldn't let this situation persist and increase the chances Artemis would kill him- or worse.

"Is it Artemis? What happened?" he insisted. For the few months he'd been with her, he could tell when she was unhappy. He wondered if he was the cause of her long face.

"She wants us to leave." Taking a gulp of her mead and pouring herself another.

Ray leaned back confused, "Us or you two?"

Ray was quiet, he knew he had no right to have an opinion. He could always stay, but without Thssipha, was it even worth it? Trying to play it cool, he calmly took a sip of his drink watching her in distress. He couldn't fix her and once again he felt responsible. The news had come like a blow but they really had no choice, he couldn't defy a fucking god?

"What will happen to me when you leave?" it seemed like the only logical thing to ask.

"I don't want to leave you." Thesipha confessed despair written all over her face, "I don't know what will happen to the bubble or my animals. I don't know what will happen even to you."

He sighed, "You don't have to worry about me. Teach me about how to care for the animals?" He just wanted her to feel better and to not be so worried. She had done so much it was the least he could do instead of being at war.

She barked back quickly, "I do care about you. That's most of the reason I'm mad. You're the first person that I- to be my friend."

Ray was taken aback by her sudden fervor. She had leaned into him. Her cheeks blushed from the mead and her eyes looked at him hooded.

"I don't want to leave you either, Thesipha. I like it here with you." She didn't realize but she'd been waiting to hear those words since she got here.

"I haven't been able to stop thinking about our kiss. I've been thinking about you constantly." he slowly took her cup from her hand, placing it on the floor beside them. The fire pit Ray had built and lit flickered orange rays off of his face and hair. Thesipha looked even more supernaturally gorgeous. Her hair was shining and radiant in the light of the flames. The moon was just as much an atmospheric enhancement to this moment. Ray raised his cheek and brushed it, then moved his hand to her arm.

Thesipha was upset by the way his words rolled off of his silken tongue but made her hairs stand. She was more upset by how it made her feel as a tightness built in her core and loins. She squeezed her legs together tightly.

"Are you cold?" he asked, feeling the goosebumps against her skin when he touched her arm. "You can leave if you'd like? I'm sure you've seen your fair share of starry nights."

Without thinking she spoke, "I don't want to leave. I wanna be here with you a bit longer. Could we sit in your tent?"

He answered so benignly, "Yeah of course."

Thesipha was almost happy he didn't read into her words- almost happy. She had lived long enough and heard enough stories of man's desire but she was getting a hunger she'd never once thought to indulge in.

She watched as he led her to the tent. Despite his healed injury and slight limp- he was still a strong virulent young man. His strong body and tender smile made her heart melt and her legs weak.

She sat in the tent and watched as he removed his shoes, "Thank you for treating me so well. I know I wasn't the most receptive host."

He turned with a smile, "Listen, no harm no foul. At the moment I was devastated but once I got an idea of what your situation was- how could I ask for more than what you'd give?" He sat next to her, "I know what it's like to always feel like an outcast but you never treated me like that. You helped me, a total stranger, your selflessness is an example in my humble opinion. I've never met anyone like you." She had balancing tears; a mixture of alcohol and emotions. The fact that she could do nothing about her own fate made her feel so helpless. But he made sure not to make her feel any worse.

"You're the best thing that ever happened to me." She said after finishing her silent lamentation. She turned to him, they were so close to each other now. Her breath smelled so sweet to Ray. He was not sure whether he was allowed to do so but he inched himself a little closer to her. "Is it okay if I kiss you again?"

She was caught off-guard, her freckled cheeks turning pink instantly. He was being quite gregarious- she was so close, Thesipha wondered if that's why he'd chosen to just say it. Before she could say a word, he wrapped his hands around her tiny waist and pulled her in. The feel of their lips intertwined so perfectly her whole body begged for more. She moaned softly as she tried to catch a breath but he would not let go. She did not want him to.

His strong yet gentle hands grabbed her waist tightly; in his arms she was so warm. She loved how her soft flesh gave way under his fingers. His masculine scent was unfamiliar but it made her head swim. Ray's head was swimming with her scent as well. To Ray she smelled like the women in poetry from the romantic era- impossible for any living human. He had never been with a woman like this. Never thought he'd be with a woman like Thesipha. Her kiss was sweet. Her little moans made him even harder.

"Wait... there's something you need to know about me." She suspected he could feel her pulse increase and her skin become clammy with anxiety, she choked at first, "I-I've never been with a man before. I've never really been with anyone before. I was chaste for so much of my life... until now I suppose?"