Insecurities Cost Her Everything Ch. 02

Story Info
The aftermath.
1.6k words
4.18
30.2k
42
63
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author note. People wanted to find out the rest of the story and here it is. For those who did not read the first part this will not make any sense.

*The story continues right after Claire is served her divorce papers and speaks to Dave*

Claire pulled herself together she could not show weakness at work. She would figure out her personal life later, for now she had things to do. Claire specifically had a meeting with the CEO Albert after lunch.

Later in Albert's office:

"Hi Claire, sit down. Before we start our meeting, I wanted to speak to you about something else."

"Sure, what would you like to talk about?" Claire replied. She was worried it would be about her personal life. She had noticed Chuck was not at work today.

Albert continued, "I wanted to talk to you about the VP Creative position, I know you applied, and I want to tell you something in strictest confidence. You know I own this firm, but I do have some minority partners who do not have a role but do have a vested stake in the business. It is for that reason I had to go through the process of taking applications for the VP Creative position. However, there really was no doubt in my mind that you would be the one to get it, congratulations."

Claire started to cry, Albert thought they were tears of joy, handed her a tissue, and continued.

"I couldn't keep it from you any longer, just keep it under your hat until I officially announce it next week."

Claire could hardly speak but choking back her tears was able to get out, "thank you Albert, I certainly will."

She was able to regain her composure and finish the rest of the meeting and the day. She spent a sleepless night replaying in her mind her stupidity. There had to be a way to make things right with Dave. She had the promotion and could focus everything on her marriage.

They following day she sent a text to Dave asking to see the kids. He agreed but he did not want to see her. She would pick them up from school on Thursday. She took them back to her hotel and they had supper in the restaurant. Back at the room her entire world was shattered again. The twins were watching TV and Claire was attempting to get information from Leslie about Dave. Now Leslie was not stupid and knew what her mom was up to. She also knew her mom and how little attention she had paid to them.

Leslie was a mature 10-year-old, and she was very blunt with her mom.

"Mom, you really blew it. Dad will never forgive you. I heard Grandma say to Grandpa that you took him for granted for too long. They also said it was good that it happened now before he wasted any more time on you. Hopefully he could find a person who loved him and the kids more that her work."

Claire needed to set Leslie straight, "listen honey your dad needs me. I just was promoted again at work and that money will secure our family's future."

"Mom, do you have any idea what dad does at his work?"

"Sure, honey he owns his little shop and fixes things for people."

"Well mom according to what Dad was telling Grandpa he is making millions. Me and the boys have been there and it is really big. He has all this machinery and workers. I don't think he needs any money from you."

Claire chalked it up to childhood fantasy and the belief that dad was superman. She would have to find a way to talk with Dave and convince him to give her another chance.

Claire needed a lawyer however to review Dave's divorce petition. She wanted to make sure she had the best possible representation, so she contacted Davis, Lippert, and Shaw (DLS). They had a reputation for getting the best possible settlements in divorces. When Claire met with the Morris "Shaw" of DLS she knew she had made the right choice. Morris had a three-pronged strategy and that involved "mother's always get the kids," "Claire was the main income earner," and "counselling could save the marriage." Morris soon filled a counter claim to that affect.

Roxanne was in Dave's office some weeks later and happened to notice the legal documents from DLS on Dave's desk. She of course read them and was so mad she decided to act. Claire needed to be set straight and Roxanne was just the person to do it.

Claire could not seem to place the name Roxanne as someone whom she had met before or that her company had done any business with. However, her assistant had booked her in for a meeting. Claire was intrigued, the woman had been very persuasive. As her assistant ushered Roxanne into Claire's office the memory of who she was quickly came to Claire. This was the affair waiting to happen from Dave's former job, the nice secure job he should have kept.

Roxanne was anything if not aggressive, "hello Claire perhaps you remember me?"

Claire did not offer Roxanne a seat, "yes of course you used to work with my husband Dave, what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?"

Roxanne almost laughed aloud, "I am not sure that you will find this visit a pleasure. I am here to try to convince you to leave Dave alone, sign the divorce and move on."

Claire did laugh aloud, "and why would I do any of that? Why would I listen to you? Was Dave having an affair with you all these years and now you want him permanently?" Claire was getting mad now.

"No, I have never done anything with your soon to be ex husband. I take my vows seriously and love my husband. You should listen to me because I am sure I know Dave better than you and if you do not leave it be you will lose.

"You see I work for Dave at his company, I went there when he started and have been his right-hand woman ever since. I know about your lawyer's three-pronged strategy, and I will now tell you exactly how flawed it is.

First, mothers do not always get the kids. There are the post ups, and Dave's incredibly detailed list of your lack of interest in your children's lives. Then there are people like me and your children's teachers who will stand up in court and say that Dave is a much better parent. Finally, your children will tell the judge that they want to live with him. They do not hate you, but they know their dad is the one that really cares for them.

Secondly, you think you make a pile of money and when you get the promotion, you screwed your way too, you will make even more. I hate to break it to you but your soon to be ex-husband Dave pays six people at his company more than you make, including me." Roxanne could not help but twist the knife, "in fact using his many patents as collateral, he could easily buy the company you work for.

Finally, and pay attention closely here Claire, there is no marriage to salvage. I have seen the death of a thousand cuts you have made to his love for you. Love is based on trust and respect, and he has no reason to believe you are trustworthy or respect him. 'His little shop' are you kidding me! He backed your work, and you belittled his! Moreover, he is soon going to be the most eligible bachelor in this town. He has already gone on a date with my sister Amanda, who thinks the world of him. There is a lady that works here named June that is madly in love with him and who will eventually work up the courage to make a move on him. Most of all though your daughter Leslie is lobbying hard for her former teacher Rochelle Jermaine. I know Dave has a date with her tonight."

Claire remained expressionless as Roxanne had verbally pummeled her. She needed to get rid of this bitch and think, "Ok you have made your point, I think it is time you left."

Roxanne knew she had made her point, "of course, just remember sign the papers and set Dave free."

Claire needed to check something out before she did anything else, first Leslie and now this Roxanne had told her about Dave's "company." She Goggled it and wrote down the address. That evening she took a drive over to see Dave's little shop.

Anyone driving by the front of Barker Pumps and Motors that night would have seen a very distraught woman weeping in her car.

The next day Claire sent Dave a text, "I will sign the divorce, but I would like to speak to you if you could spare me the time."

Dave replied, "thank you for signing, it is still too soon for us to have any sort of 'big talk' but know that I forgive you. There is no going back however, my love for you made me blind and now the blinders are off. I will be around when you pick up and drop off the kids from now on and we can speak. As well at social occasions I will always be polite. We will need to speak soon about the kids' school and future and the like, I will let you know when I am ready."

Claire thought she had no tears left to shed but the wetness on her cheeks told her otherwise, her insecurities had indeed cost her everything.