Into the Sunlight Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After Charleshia had a melt down when Charles was sentenced, she was hospitalized for a while. Marshall and Irma had a chance to break free of her. Charleshia was diagnosed and treated for months. Irma never visited even though the psychologist begged her too. She did agree to let her visit her over Thanksgiving, so her daughter came. She arrived at her small apartment on Thanksgiving Day. Both women were standoffish. She sat with her until dinner was served and they said every little. For more than three hours, the women sat and did not say more than ten words to each other.

Charleshia knew that her mother did not really want her there. She did not blame her. She remembered every evil thing she did to her and regretted each and every one. Irma looked at her and took her hand. Charleshia had to go and started to pull away.

"Look at me." The older woman whispered. "I'm sorry I failed you. I failed to raise you right. I didn't keep you or your brother safe, so to feel safe you became like Charles, Sr. I won't lie, and say I miss your father. I don't. The day he died I was relieved. He couldn't hit me anymore, but then you and CJ started hitting me."

Charleshia sat. She looked at her mother. She hated her mother. She hated her for allowing both her and her brother to endure their childhood. She realized after her mother moved away from her and would not come to see her she had no one. Then a few weeks after they put her in a hospital, Marshall had a courier deliver a package. He had filed for divorce. He did not love her either. She had no one and that hurt more than anything in the world. She had gone to the prison to see her brother a few weeks ago and he hated her on sight. The look he gave her made her wish she could vanish. Staring at her with a sheer look of disgust, he disowned her and told her to never visit him again. She returned to the hospital and decided to get herself together. First, she had to talk to Momma. It hurt, but she realized that Momma hurt also.

The reason she was in her mother's small room on this holiday was because of her psychiatrist. She felt that she needed to confront her past. She did. It was in the last session that she cried for her mother, and that session led to her being here. Even though they did not speak, just being near her mother lifted her broken spirit. But being with her even for this short time, she realized that she needed her. She needed her mother because her mother was all she had on this earth.

Charleshia took a deep breath, "Momma, I'm sorry. I am so angry. I am so mad. People look at me and they think they know what I'm about. They think they know what it was like for me. I went through hell Momma. Every time he hit you, it hurt me until I started blocking the pain. You didn't know this, but Charles beat me first, before Camirra and before you. We were small and I picked up the phone to call 911, he snatched it away and beat me like Daddy beat you. He told me he was sorry after and it was my fault. As long as I never made him mad again, it wouldn't happen anymore. It did, and I hid it. Then Daddy died."

Irma listened. So much pain, so much sadness, and it was her fault. She failed as a mother to protect her children. As a result they became monsters.

"Charleshia, I'm sorry, sweetheart. I know the words mean nothing, but they are all I have right now." She wept.

"Momma, you should have left." Charleshia whispered. "Why didn't you leave?"

"Baby, I had nowhere to go." Irma replied. Both women were quiet for a moment. Charleshia realized that her mother was right. She remembered when she and Charles Jr. were small, Momma took them to live with an aunt. She and her husband were hateful to them. After three days past, they called Dad to come get them. She and Charles Jr. hid as they listened to him beat her that night. After that, she could not leave again.

That event was the start of her downfall. She pulled all kinds of stunts. Her attempted assault on her husband led to jail time. She went to jail and served two months. She witnessed her brother go to prison. She was released under house arrest and forced into therapy. She resisted t first then one day she talked. The doctor listened, and she Charleshia felt a sense of relief.

"Momma," Charleshia stopped. She remembered and her mother was right. As a young child, she took beatings from her brother until she started fighting back. After daddy died, she kept fighting. Then one day she met Marshall. He was not like her dad or brother but soft. Charleshia remembered Marshall. He was doing better now. After his brother came, he refused to leave Marshall behind. Charleshia missed her husband. Moreover, her heart was crushed. Despite outward appearances, she really cared about Marshall and thought he'd never leave her.

After the first eight weeks of treatment, and knowing his divorce decree would be granted, Charleshia broke. She had no one now. Her brother was in prison, her mother wanted nothing to do with her, and her husband left.

Irma watched her daughter. She wondered about one thing. "Why did you marry Marshall?" Irma asked. Did she love him even a little. Marshall loved Charleshia at first. Then the abuse started. He hated her in the end and as soon as Irma was safe he left.

Charleshia stared into nothing and whispered, "Because I knew he would not hurt me."

Irma was not surprised and for the first time since Charleshia was three years old, she hugged her daughter. Charleshia froze at first, not sure what to expect, but then returned her embrace. She hugged her mother so tightly, as if she never wanted to let go. "You are my baby girl, Charleshia and I love you. You didn't deserve any of the things that happened to you." Irma whispered. Charleshia cried. Her tears coated her mother's neck.

She would never tell her mother everything that she went through, but she was grateful that she did not have a daughter. She never would have children. Not by choice, but because of circumstance. An abortion at the age of nineteen at an illegal clinic ruined her chances of ever having a child of her own and she was glad.

Charles didn't care, even though he was the reason she found herself in that predicament. She could never deny him, so at eighteen when he demanded that she share her body with him, she did. They became lovers and for months, he came to her every night. They were careful until one night.

He had a game and met a girl. Charleshia was jealous, so as they drove home, she confronted him. Charles grew angry and they fought. Fighting was a huge turn on for her brother and she ended up with her panties ripped and Charles fucking her raw. She told him to stop, it was risky, but he no longer cared. Then he came, filling her.

After they were done, she readjusted her clothes and they went home. Momma looked at them strange but Charles had her trained to never question him. Weeks past and she missed her period. She told Charles. He had her to steal a test and take it. She was pregnant. Charles called a friend and took her to see him. With a wire and a strong drink, he ended that pregnancy and her chance of ever becoming a mother.

Charles told her to keep it secret. It was no ones business. She did. After that he left her alone. Then he met Camirra. Charleshia sighed, As much as she professed to hate this woman that held her close, she had to protect her. She would never know the truth of her real relationship with her brother. Her mother was fragile and couldn't handle it.

Charleshia whispered, "Momma, it's OK. They both are gone and I'm sorry for everything I ever did to you. You did the best that you could. I know that. I knew it then. I'm going to be OK. I'm going to get my life together. Maybe one day, you will trust me again. You can come live with me. Not now, but one day."

Irma hugged her daughter and replied. "Thank you for forgiving me, Charleshia. Thank you." Charleshia smiled, and for the second time in it seemed like forever she felt safe.

"Don't call me that. I want to be called Renee now." She whispered. Irma nodded. Her little girl would be alright.

*****

Several months later, Charles sat in prison. Here he was in his element. The people did what he wanted. No one would dare say no to him from the lowest inmate to the highest guard. If Charles spoke, they jumped. He was so cocky that he feared nothing Ono day as the inmates were in the exercise yard, a group of males started fighting. Charles stood back to watch unaware that the fight was just a diversion. When the guards headed for the fight a young man walked slowly towards Charles. Standing behind him, the young male waited for a signal. You see, Charles thought he ruled the roost, but all he did was acquire the wrong guys as enemies.

A simple nod, and the unassuming fellow struck. Two moves, a swipe with a makeshift blade severed his jugular and a makeshift spike in the left side of his breast pierced his heart, Charles was done. Caught off guard, Charles never had the chance to scream as his fallen body was covered by a rush of prisoners being sent back to their cells. He lay face up, but not before he saw the face of the young man that killed him. At first, he thought Camirra had come. They boy looked so much like his ex-wife, then the boy spit on him, stepped on the weapon and he went inside. The guards found him, and knew that his blood loss was too great.

The prison was locked down and the police called. The prison had law enforcement investigate but could not find out who made the weapons. The guards knew, as did the other inmates but said nothing. That kid didn't belong in here. He was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Charles tormented him, and he had suffered enough.

After a full investigation, the investigators could not find out what happened. They pulled video, and none of the cameras captured the murder. The killer attacked in the one area where there was no surveillance. The investigators talked to the inmates, but they were not talking.

The weapon in his chest was unique. It was made from pipe. The investigators learned that some repairs had been made, but the waste was logged as discarded. Well at least one piece wasn't. The same shard piece of pipe was used to severe the man's jugular and stab him directly in the heart. The person that did this knew exactly what he was doing.

Yet, no one was talking. Charles's body was stored in the morgue and they had to notify his next of kin. The next morning, the sheriff and the attorney for the prison went to see his mother. When they walked into the facility, Irma knew. Maybe now, her son could find some sort of peace. She sat, and the nurses were concerned. She just asked that they call Charleshia.

Charleshia came to the facility as soon as the nurse called. Irma had her to sit and she informed her of Charles' demise. Charleshia cried. Despite everything they went through, he was her family her blood. The men asked if they had a special place they wanted him placed, and they did not.

"Can they study him? Can scientist examine his brain and find out why he did the things he did?" Charleshia asked.

The officer was not sure if this was possible, but he understood that his family wanted his remains donated to science. When asked if she wanted to identify the remains, Irma refused, so Charleshia went alone. Seeing her brother on a cold slab gave her a strange sense of freedom. She was free to go on now. He said she was worthless. He hated her. Even when he forced her to do things, he blamed her. He was gone now.

Leaving the prison, Charleshia returned to her mother's home. She told her that it was Charles. The women wept for a moment and then decided to go on.

*****

Camirra was at work when she received a call from her old boss. She learned that Charles lost his life in the prison. She was actually relieved. She had no reason to fear now. She thought of Ms. Irma and decided to check on her. That evening, she drove to see her and met Charleshia. Irma hugged her immediately and it was obvious that she was not comfortable around her former sister in law.

"Ms. Irma, Charleshia, I just found out about Charles. Despite our past, I wanted to let you know I'm sorry for your loss." Camirra whispered.

Charleshia stared. Irma spoke with Camirra and Camirra was about to leave when Charleshia spoke. "Thank you for coming by. We are not having a funeral for him. We asked them to study him and see if they could find out what was wrong with him."

Camirra was surprised that Charleshia spoke so calmly to her. "Um, thank you Charleshia."

"I'm not using that name anymore. I'm going by my middle name now, Renee." She explained.

"OK, well thank you Renee." Camirra whispered.

Both women were heading home and walked out together. "Camirra this past year I've come to terms with many things. There is no excuse for how you were treated, but I apologize. You never deserved what happened to you and I'm glad that you're OK."

The new Charleshia, now Renee, stopped at her car. "You should go on and forget about this chapter in your life. Don't worry about Momma. I'll make sure she is cared for from now on. I did a lot of shit to you, Camirra. I talked down about you to my brother. At the time, I really believed what I was saying, but looking back, I realize that I was wrong. I'm sorry and I hope you can forgive me one day. I mean this."

Camirra smiled, "Renee, I know you loved your brother. He loved you too." She whispered.

"Charles only loved Charles. He never gave a damn about any of us. But we are free now. We are free." Renee whispered and then she drove off. Camirra climbed in her car and called her sister. Rory answered and the two talked.

They were coming over for the weekend and she was spending time with Brandon. She really liked him.

Camirra arrived back at her apartment an hour later Dad called. He felt strange and needed to check in. She told him about Charles being killed, and Darius went silent. He knew he should not feel so elated. A person lost their life. But that meant he would never hurt his baby girl anymore.

"Are you alright? Cyn and I can grab Derreon and come over." He offered.

"Daddy, I'm fine. Just tired, but I'm going to eat something and then go to bed." She explained.

Darrius accepted her answer.

After a hot shower and quick meal, Camirra chose to read a book.

Before she could get comfortable, her doorbell rang. Noticing the time, it was late. Camirra moved to her door cautiously. "Who's there?" She called out.

"It's me. Enrique." Camirra opened the door. "Mr. Darius called. He was worried. He said he spoke to you but wanted to be sure you are OK."

"You men need to quit. I bet Luisa is home worried with the baby. I'm fine. Go home." She explained.

Enrique smiled, and went back home. He called his boss and told him that she seemed fine.

Right before she went to sleep, Brandon messaged her. He was excited about visiting and wanted her to know that he wanted time alone with her. Camirra replied and went to sleep with a smile on her face.

A few days later, Brandon arrived. He was excited because Rory and Brian had to cancel. He knew Camirra had plans to spend time with all three of them this weekend, but now it would be just the two of them. It was early when he drove into her complex. Getting out of his car, he walked to her apartment and knocked. He knew she was off today because it was Saturday and she had planned for this weekend in advance.

'Who's there?" She called groggily. Brandon answered and she opened the door immediately.

"Hey," she greeted him with a hug. He held her tightly and then explained why he came alone. She told him to sit as she put on coffee. Brandon realized she was still in her pj's, and he liked the view. She wore a small pair of fleece bottoms with red and white hearts and a matching tank top. Brandon noted that this was all she wore and he had to force his body to remain calm. They had talked for a while but their relationship had not gone beyond a few chaste kisses. He didn't want to pressure her and was just realizing he should have had her meet him at her grandparents.

Camirra chatted on and on, when she realized he was quiet. She turned and looked at him. His eyes were riveted on her body and she then realized her stated of undress.

"Um, excuse me." She dashed from the room and donned her robe, but he'd already seen the curve of her hips, the tips of her erected nipples.

He knew she was embarrassed. So, he waited. She returned and apologized, Brandon laughed. Camirra relaxed and soon dressed for the day. Brandon had coffee as he listened to her shower He imagined her naked and once again had to fight his own arousal. It would not bode well for him to be around her family sporting a hard on.

Soon she came out fully dressed and he was delighted. She wore a simple pair of jeans and shirt. They were off. Their first stop was her grandparents, then they would stop by her Mom and Dad's houses.

"You got here early. What time did you leave out?" Camirra asked.

Brandon sighed, "I left a little after four. My shift ended at three and Brian had told me they couldn't come, so I drove straight here." He asked. What if she really just wanted to see her sister?

"Well, I'm glad you came. I was really looking forward to this weekend." Camirra blushed. "I mean, I am looking forward to getting to know you."

Brandon smiled, "Camirra, well, that's why I'm here. I want to get to know you too."

Soon they were at Marvin's and Marge's home. Camirra's grandparents invited them in and Brandon took advantage of the huge breakfast Marge had prepaired.

Camirra laughed and teased him, "I think you really came to eat up my grandma's food." She teased. Brandon laughed, as did Marvin. Both Marvin and Marge noticed that Camirra relaxed around this young man. Soon they finished breakfast and Brandon had promised Marvin he'd be hack to help him with some needed repairs. Now they were headed to the garage where her father worked,

As they drove in, Darius was talking with a customer. He smiled as they approached. Soon he put both Brandon and Camirra to work. After a few hours Brandon had changed the oil in couple of sedans, and fixed a brake line. Darius was impressed. Camirra was ticked off because she knew her father just wanted to keep Brandon from being alone with her.

Soon it was time for lunch and the two were determined to spend time alone. They grabbed a couple of sandwiches and headed to the park. They talked.

"When Rory and I were small, we did everything together. Then one day after Rosa's graduation, they separated us. We found our own identities. My parents were young when they had us, and goodness knows they made mistakes, but they love us." Camirra sighed.

"Does my dad make you nervous?" She asked.

Brandon smiled, "No, I respect him. If he didn't protect you and your sister like he does, I'd have questions for him. As a matter of fact, if we do this and have a child I'm going to be much like your dad."

"Hey, we barely know each other. You're moving a bit too fast." She teased.

Brandon sighed, and turned to lay his head across her lap on the bench that they were sitting on. He looked up at Camirra and smiled. "No hurries. After this weekend you'll be sure, like I am that we are good together." Her heart skipped a beat as she stared into his soulful eyes. He thought he had to convince her. He didn't realize that she already knew.

Camirra stroked his face, both completely oblivious of the people around them watching them. Soon someone cleared their throat, and Camirra looked up. A group of kids were standing there staring at them. Brandon sat up and they smiled at the teenagers.

"Hey, y'all wanna play. We need two players." A young man asked.