Isabel, The Beauty Next Door Pt. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

There's a tentative knock at the door and Sam sticks her he'd in. "Bloody hell Jay. Didn't you two get enough last night?"

"Come in Sam, we're only kissing," Isabel says, even though we're still naked under the duvet.

Sam smiles and jumps on the bed as Isabel cuddles into the side of me. "What's on your mind Munchkin?" I ask, knowing that look.

"Shit, this is hard.... Hannah, can you come in here a minute?" Sam shouts. Hannah looks around the half open door before entering, still in her PJ's. She settles on the bed next to Sam and they hold hands for moral support. "Jay, some time ago, I asked you to consider helping us become parents. Hannah and I have talked about this for the last month. We think that we are now at a point in our relationship that we need to take that next step." There's a stunned silence. Sam swallows hard. "Will you, while you're away, talk to each other and see if there's any way we can make this happen?"

There's another silence, then I go to speak. "Sam..." Isabel puts her hand on mine and stops me.

"Sam," Isabel says and then stops. "This is most probably the most important thing you will ever ask of Jay and me. We will spend a good part of the summer talking to each other and you two to see if there is any acceptable way we can do this." Isabel gives me a be careful what you say look and I nod in agreement.

The moment is broken by someone trying to break the doorbell. Hannah gets up, followed by Sam and they both go to see where the fire is.

"Where are they?" I hear my Dad shout.

Isabel, James, get your butts down here, your parents are here." Sam calls.

I groan. "Okay, give us a minute," I call back.

We are greeted by two sets of excited parents who congratulate us on our engagement.

Sarah and Zac can't believe that we are so cool. The only one of the four that knew it was coming was Harry. I had gone over a few days before when Isabel was busy on the laptop to get his blessing. He could only say through tears, "It's about bloody time."

I had asked him to keep it quiet while I worked out how to ask the woman I loved with all my being to marry me. I knew that Heather could never keep it quiet, and although Harry hated keeping it from her, he reluctantly agreed.

We all drive to the houses that we bought. Dad gets to work writing everything that I tell him. There's not much instruction I can give, but he makes his lists. The outside is restricted to what the rest of the other houses in the street have done.

Everyone has a good look around as we explain what we plan to do with the extensive dwellings. This is Hannah's first visit and I can see she's finding it emotional. Sam and Hannah have struggled to find a good place to rent and had almost given up.

"Jay?" Sam asks. "Would it be possible to put in an area for my business?"

"Shouldn't be a problem Munchkin," I reply. "But it can only be cosmetic. Nothing to change the fabric of the house."

"Oh no, I just need a separate room where I can talk to clients that's not my front room," she replies.

We go out for a celebratory meal but our parents need to leave early, because they are all travelling up to Cambridge tomorrow.

The journey up isn't bad and we stop a couple of times. Sam takes advantage of the long time together to broach the idea of children. I am starting to think Isabel is in favor of it. I'm still struggling with the fact that Sam still wants a natural conception. I also get the feeling that Hannah would like to carry a child. Again, Isabel doesn't seem fazed. She even would like to be there when Sam conceives. 'Shit, what am I getting into?', I thought.

We get to the hotel, and both our parents have already arrived. I couldn't have been more wrong if I thought Isabel and I could sneak up to our room quietly and share some time. We are mobbed as we walk through the door. Both parents want to continue celebrating our engagement.

We are taken into the hotel's bar and have some food and drinks. I can see people looking over, but I'm not sure if they recognize me or we're making to much noise.

We finally make it to our room and as the night before, Isabel and I open our souls to each other and tenderly make love until first light starts to brighten the sky.

Our widow faces east and as the sun slowly rises to announce a new day, we watch on in wonder holding each other close and living the moment.

"I love you Isabel Richards," I whisper.

"I love you, James Stokes," comes the reply.

******

Today will be a long day. In their wisdom, the university has my graduation in the morning and Isabel's ceremony this afternoon.

We head downstairs and are greeted by our family, taking full advantage of the hotel's breakfast. "Eat as much as makes you comfortable, babe," I say. "We don't know when we will get to eat next."

"With my dad around, I'm sure he will make sure we visit one of the local eateries," Isabel says, leaning in so he doesn't hear. We both laugh, knowing he can't miss a meal without asking someone start a famine appeal for him.

We are sitting in Senate-House. I sit with my classmates, waiting for my name to be read out. One by one, they are called, and I am still sitting here.

I start getting a little anxious as everyone around me has been called, and I am still sitting here. I look back, and Isabel gives me a 'what's happening,' look. I shrug, not knowing. Then I see Professor Smithe, who catches my eye and smiles confidently at me.

I feel even more uncomfortable when my Classmates start to return and they move on to a different classes.

"They must have forgotten," I say to one of my closest friends.

"I'm sure they haven't, Jay," he says, looking worried. I sit there as everyone in the hall goes up and picks up the proof of their hard work. Then the list of names called ends, and the last person goes up. He turns to me, "I don't know what to say, Jay. You'll have to go and see someone afterward." I nod, not liking to cause a fuss, and ask for something I should have.

Then The Chancellor stands at the front and smiles at the excited ex-students before him. He raises his arms in a rare show of authority and the hall quiets.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. You have all shown us that our faith in you has been repaid. Today though, we have one member of the university that has surpassed even our expectations. We often get people who rate in the world's top five percentile, and this year is no different. Some of you are indeed in that category. I can rarely stand here and say that we have the number one candidate in the world. Since you all left after your respective last exams, a process went into motion. In the fifteen years, I have been at this university, this is only the second time we have had a candidate that warrants a review from the World Standards Committee. When we submitted his score to be audited, they sent two experts in the field to review our findings. They looked through his work and rescored him from scratch. I am told this is the first time this has ever happened, but they scored him higher than our original assessment." He takes a drink of water. "Now, I would like to call the only person in this room who hasn't received his diploma. Please stand and show your respect for Mr. James Stokes."

The room rises all except me, and a loud round of applause resonates around the historic hall. I have the largest lump in my throat, but I take a deep breath and stand. Walking to the front, I get pats on my back, and people I have never met shake my hand, and girls I have never seen before hug me.

I climb the few steps onto the stage, and I am in a daze as I shake The Chancellor's hand. As I face the front, I hear the familiar sound of Sam's whistle. I smile and look down as I shuffle my feet uncomfortably.

Again, The Chancellor quietens the room, and people sit. Only then do I see Andrew Sampford, Edward Harris, and Drew sitting with the faculty at the front. Drew waves and blows a kiss when she sees me look their way.

"It's proving to be an amazing four days for James here. Some of you might have seen him propose to his long-term girlfriend, Isabel Richards, on the pyramid stage at Glastonbury. I have it on good authority that his good friend Michael Carter, or as people in the music industry know him, Mac helped facilitate this. I wish you both well for the future." There's a murmur around the room, and I see some phones come out as people google or get their YouTube account up. "James here didn't arrive to us under our normal vetting process and was enrolled by his employers, Sampson and Harris, based in Exeter. It quickly became apparent that we had a special talent on our hands, as he made light work of his degree. Now I am embarrassed to say that our paths have never crossed, so I will ask his boss and my ex-student, Andrew Sampford, to come up here and tell us the sort of man that stands before you."

Andrew stands and buttons his suit back up. He makes his way to the stage and pats me on the shoulder as he passes.

"Good morning, Ladies and Gentlemen. I am Andrew Sampford, joint owner of Sampford Harris Architects. We are a growing company in the southwest of England with an International reputation. I won't make this a long speech, so don't worry. You can all get to the bar soon." A ripple of laughter goes around the room. I'm standing here red as a beetroot, and sweat is dripping down my back. "Another reason this will be a short speech is that James here is hating every second of standing before you receiving plaudits. He's not the sort of guy who looks for a pat on the back and he is the most humble guy I have ever met. I first heard of James Stokes nearly six years ago when an ex-employee who knew we were looking for someone put his name forward. I was told he was an incredible natural talent and watched him progress and develop. I eventually met James when he came down to be introduced as the latest recruit to our growing company. When he turned up, he had his arm in plaster and wore a hat to cover a large scar. The reason he had a broken arm and scar, I think, sums up this young man fully. While walking near his home, he got hit by a car saving a young boy's life who had slipped from his mother's hand. He took the full impact of the vehicle, with the boy getting away with minor cuts and bruises. Being a second Dan Black belt in Kendo helped as he jumped up, so he impacted the window. On that first day in the office, he helped my daughter redesign a building she was struggling with. That building is three months from completion, and his ideas made that possible. As The Chancellor touched on, last week in front of the world, he proposed to his long-time love, Isabel Richards. We got a text message to watch the live coverage, and I congratulate you and Isabel on your engagement." I nod to Andrew to acknowledge him. "One last point. I'm not surprised at the accolade being presented today. As I said before, James is a natural talent, and with his love for his work, what he achieves is an art-form in itself. Several examples of his work are in the entrance hall, and I urge you to look on the way out." Andrew looks to his right, and Edward stands there with an award and a silly grin. "My partner, Edward Harris, is here to present to James the Architects Guild's gold medal, the Cambridge University trophy for Student of the Year, and the outstanding achievement award."

There's a round of applause as Edward walks onto the stage. He hands the medal to Andrew so he can put it around my neck and then gives me a glass plaque and the trophy. Then both men step back, leaving me to say a few words.

"Ummm, this has been a crazy time for me," I say. "I'm not one for speeches or to be inspirational. I just do what I love to do; I have the unconditional love of a beautiful woman and the support of my family. I can't tell you that hard work prevails or that if you want to reach a goal, you can if you have the right attitude. That will be the case for most people, but not for me. I have grown up knowing what I want. I once read that someone who does what they love for a living will never do a day's work in their lives. I guess that is true for me. I do not see what I have accomplished as work but as a labor of love that flows from me. Every day I wake next to the love of my life and know that whatever the day brings will be enjoyable. I can never thank Andrew or Edward enough for what they gave me, and I look forward to starting the next phase of my life...Thank you." I turn and give both Edward and Andrew a hug as the place once again applauds my achievement.

We walk from the stage as The Chancellor tells the people, "That concludes the presentation, and if you make your way outside for photographs. Don't forget to look at James's work at some time before you leave." He then comes down, congratulates me again, and talks to Andrew, who he seems to know.

It doesn't take long, but for once, Isabel hugs me first. "Talk about stealing my thunder," she says with a wide grin. "This afternoon is going to be an anti-climax now."

"I thought the whole day would be an anti-climax after Glastonbury," I say.

"I suppose you have a point. That was the best day in my life so far."

"So far, aye. I suppose our marriage and the birth of our children will trump that."

"You bet it will," Isabel says, now getting her point across.

At that moment, I feel a second pair of arms wrap around me. "Hey, Munchkin," I say.

"Bloody hell Jay," is all she can muster before she buries a tearful face into my side. This girl can be emotional at times and is a great hugger.

We move outside, and there are a hundred and one photos taken. Sam is her exuberant self and keeps hugging me. This girl is on a constant high and doesn't know what to do with herself. Many of my classmates want photos with me, and we spend a while outside enjoying the moment in the sunshine.

We go back into the entrance hall to look at the presentation of my work. I notice a huge poster of the Dubai building that Drew and I worked on together. Andrew and Edward are there talking to people discussing my work.

As I stand there looking up at the ten-foot poster, I feel someone come and move next to me. "You know we make a great team."

"Yes, Drew, we are an incredible team. I'm sorry you can't work on the Charleston job with me."

"Yeah, two months hanging out with a celebrity. It sounds like I'm missing out, but our baby needs me, and we only have three months before sign-off."

"It's okay, Drew; I don't think your latest boyfriend could take you spending a couple of months away with me," I say, joking.

"Don't. I never know why they're so fixated on you."

"I do," Isabel says. "James is a fine specimen, and I am jealous of you. Not in a possessive way, but in a way that I wish I could talk to him the way you do about the real passion in his life." Isabel looks at the poster. "I just see a building with trees growing through it, but you two see so much more that I can't even comprehend. That's what I would like to be able to share."

"Wow, Isabel Richards is jealous of me," Drew smiles at me and walks off.

I walk over to a glass cabinet with a house I designed. The house was an eco-friendly exercise, but they haven't displayed it correctly. I feel a hand slip into mine. "Hey, sis," I say.

"These are incredible and even make the ones in your room look ordinary, Jay. I'm surprised you didn't do 3D printing on some, though."

"They do, but where's the fun in that," I say." Then I open the cabinet and notice a couple of people taking an interest. I press a catch and pull on the right-hand corner. The house opens to reveal the interior to its full effect.

"Now you're just showing off," Sarah says.

I smile and close the cabinet. "You okay, Sis?" she nods and moves closer to get a better look. "Are you and Zac okay with Isabel and I getting engaged?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't we be?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe a little weird since you two are dating?"

Sarah straightens up. She's not the biggest girl, but she looks me straight in the eye. "You two getting engaged was the most obvious thing to have happened, and we couldn't be happier for you both." She wraps her arms around her big Brother's neck and, with a smirk, adds. "How you did it is a whole different story." She kisses me on the cheek. She hasn't been this close to me since I left for Uni. "We heard you knew Mac, but Jay, you are like best buddies," Sarah says, looking at me with amazement. "When do we get to meet him?"

"I'm not sure, Sis. Isabel and I are off to America later in the⁶ week and will spend some time at his ranch. I'm sure you will meet him at the wedding; he's already agreed to come."

"No way," she says, breaking her grip as she sees Dad approach.

"Jay, these are incredible," my dad says from behind.

"Thanks, Dad," I say, turning to him. "This all started because of you."

"What? Why?"

"When you let me create my bedroom, you lit a fire inside me. That was where my passion was born."

"Oh, I didn't realize. Wow," is all he can add. I look at this big strong man I've idolized all my life and can see his eyes well up. He coughs, "Andrew and Edward need a word before they leave."

I nod, pat my dad on the back and walk over to Andrew, who is talking to Professor Smithe. "Ah, here's the man of the moment and just the person I need to see," Andrew says as he sees me approaching and to get Edward's attention.

"James," Edward says. Before we leave, we need to give you this. It's your new contract of employment. "Oh, and I have your new pack," he adds like he's just remembered.

"Best let my lawyer have it, Edward," I say, pointing to Isabel.

Drew walks over with my suitcase-sized package and hands it to me before hugging me. "There you go. Don't say I don't ever give you anything, and I will see you in a couple of months," she says. "Edward, I'm parked out front," she adds before heading for the door.

Edward and I walk over towards Isabel, who's laughing at something Sarah said. "Here you go, Isabel," Edward says, handing Isabel the large envelope. "Read it through and get him to sign it. If there are any problems, let me know. Oh, James. We had to change it a little from our original arrangement." With that, he and Andrew make a quick exit.

Isabel quickly opens the envelope and sits on a bench at the side, going through it. Her eyes then look up at me with an open mouth. "They have given you an extra fifty percent on your original agreement, but you must give them a year's notice to quit. They want you to become the company's general manager within five years and a partner after ten. Christ, Jimmy, this will make you the highest-paid architect in your field. With bonuses, you could clear seven figures in a year."

I sit down. "Shit, that's one hell of an offer," I say. "Do you think Natasha will have your contract ready when we return?"

"She better bloody well have it, or I'm not signing it," Isabel says absentmindedly as she goes through the fine detail of my contract.

"Iz, leave that for the trip home," I say. "We've got a dinner to go to and then a second presentation to get to," I say, snapping her out of solicitor mode. Isabel returns the paperwork to the envelope and hands it to my mother. "There you go, Mum," Isabel says.

My mum almost drops it at the shock of being called mum by Isabel. I can see her eyes well up. I think she thought she had messed up her relationship with us until that moment.

I am sitting with Harry, Heather, and Zac, waiting for Isabel's name to be called. I didn't get time to change out of my gown because my graduation dinner ran over a bit. We couldn't get Sam in on this one, but I have a live feed for her, Hannah and Rachel as we wait patiently.

"Isabel Richards," a woman calls, and we cheer and stand as a red-looking Isabel approaches the stage. She's been really nervous and strapped her breasts up today. It's been a while since she felt the need, but I get to massage them later, so every cloud. Harry takes several photos, and Heather is videoing her as Isabel takes her scroll and quickly exits stage left.

1...345678