It’ll Never Happen

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It had been snowing all day, nothing unusual for northern Michigan in late January. What was unusual though, was for this much snow. Unbeknownst to them, they were in the midst of the worst blizzard to hit Michigan in over 19 years. There had to at least be 3 feet of snow down on the ground, up from the 6 inches there was this morning when Ally slid off the road, and it was still coming down hard. James dad was down in Florida on a business trip, so he called his mom to see what he should do.

She picked up the phone on the second ring, and quickly informed James that she had gone to see her mother on her way home from work, and when she went to leave her little Chevy Malibu was buried in the driveway. She asked James if he could come get her, since she knew his truck couldn't handle almost anything, but Jake had his doubts about 3 feet of snow. Sure he could do it, and he wouldn't get stuck, but he couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't slide around a bit.

His Papa had always told him to never take unnecessary risks, and James deemed this one to be unnecessary. He told his mom he couldn't get to her, and she said that's fine and that she would stay at her childhood home for the night in hopes the roads are cleared the next day. Before he could even say anything, he saw Ally on the phone with her mother, informing her that they were snowed in, and that she wouldn't be able to make it home tonight. He mom expected this even before Ally had called, since she knew James wouldn't let her drive in this, and they stayed at each other's houses all time time, so she had just expected this.

"Ma, Ally is here since we were working on the truck, and she's sorta stuck here for the night and until the roads get cleared. "

"I know hun, she texted me a minute ago apologizing for the inconvenience. Now you tell that girl that she knows better than that and that she's always welcome no matter what."

"I will ma, love ya, bye."

"You two be good now, love you, bye."

The pair shared a quick laugh at the situation they found themselves in, and walked over to James' truck and fired it up. It was supposed to get even colder and there was no way they were staying all the way out here in the barn, where there's only one little space heater. James got out, went around the truck and locked both of the front hubs, giving him the necessary 4x4 power he would need to get though this snow and to the house.

He did what seemed like a one hundred point turn to get himself Facing forward, since he didn't want to try reverse in this and pulled out of the barn onto the concrete pad that was covered by an overhang so there was no snow there. Ally jumped out and slid the door closed, and locking it before she climbed back up into the cab.

James knew it would be tough to get down the snow flooded path to his house, almost a half mile through his yard, so he hit the snow as fast as he can and worked through the gears until he was hammer down in fourth gear, tires spinning and throwing up snow with every foot they traveled. All the while Ally was screaming out in joy and amusement the whole time, she loved this stuff.

Finally back inside the warm house, James took his coat, set in on the back of a chair in the kitchen, and went over to the wood burning fireplace in the living room and started it back up. It had been burning all night, and since he threw an "all nighter" (a really big log that doesn't want to split, normally burns for a few hours) on when he got back from school, the coals were still warm, so bringing the fire roaring back to life was as simple as flicking a switch. He sat back and watched the flames as Ally huddled close to the fireplace, soaking up all the warmth she could manage.

After a few minutes of sitting in the living room for warmth, James went to the kitchen to see what they had by means of food. He knew what he was going to make. Ally also probably knew what he was going to make, and her mouth watered at the thought of it. He was going to make his world famous venison tips. Everyone who tried them always went crazy saying they were the best they've ever had.

James knew the freezer was chalk full of venison, since he and his dad has both shot bucks at the end of bow season, just a few weeks prior. Lucky for him, he got to make his tasty treat even when he went over to Ally's house, since her freezer was full of venison also, considering she shot a nice sized doe out of his stand the week before he got his buck, and he also donated her parents the meat out of the doe he normally shot in early bow. He knew they loved it and ate it regularly, so donating the deer was no problem to him. He could always go out and get a doe, and he processed it himself so it was free.

He went to the freezer and pulled out a couple of the packages of venison and set them on the counter. After that he went to search the cupboards to see what they had to supplement the meat. He knew Ally loved his cooking so he always tried to go all out when she would be dining with him.

He found a bag of velveta shells, his favorite, and one of her favorites in the pantry and set to boil some water for them. All in all he knew it was going to be a good dinner, and that pleased him greatly.

Ally watched him from the living room going about his business preparing the food. He always cooked, he loved to cook, and ally loved to eat his cooking. He knew it, and she knew that he knew it. She always liked to watch him cook, since it was another one of those things he got lost in. He seemed totally at ease in the kitchen, and not a worry in the world, and she loved to see that from him. After watching for a few minutes she got up and went to go talk to him in the kitchen.

"Honey I'm home!" She joked as she entered the room.

"How was work sweetie?" He quickly quipped back, sensing the game.

"Oh it was a drag! Fix me a drink would ya hun?" She asked only half joking, she actually found she was thirstier than she realized.

Sensing the apparent need for a drink in her voice, James silently chastised himself for being a terrible host and quickly slid over to the fridge to see what was available. He knew Ally didn't drink, so a beer or anything else wasn't an option, even though he knew he would probably have one with his meal.

"What would ya like buttercup? We got tea, as always, some fruit punch I don't know from where it came, and water,"

he said, using his little pet name that always seemed to grind her gears, in a good way he hoped at least.

"Do you really have to ask? You know me better than that come on now James!"

She yelled back in mock anger.

James just started laughing and got out the gallon of tea, knowing damn well that's what she was going to choose. He just had figured he be nice and offer her some other choices, no matter how certain he was she would choose tea. She loved his mother's tea. And there always seemed to be plenty of it.

About 30 minutes went by and the pair sat down at the table to eat. James as usual dug right in, and Ally, as usual, told him to slow down or he'll be wearing most of it. She sat back in her chair for a second and looked at James. She always looked at him, but she never really looked at him. She never had thought about him like she was right now. She tried to push the thoughts out of he head, scolded herself for thinking about him like this, right here, right now.

He was good looking. Sure. Everyone knew this, all the girls knew this, but to their dismay, he never seemed interested. That always puzzled her. He was really good looking, actually. How hadn't she noticed that before. She knew he was handsome, but right now she was seeing something more than that. It started to make her stomach tingle and her insides warm up. Gah! Why couldn't she stop thinking about him. She thought about how much he cared for her, and admitted she wanted a guy like that, she just never really considered James to be THAT guy.

James wondered why it was so quiet, and he looked up from his plate at Ally. She was just sitting there staring at him blankly. She hadn't touched her food or said a word, while he was almost done. This worried him, since she always ate just as fast as him, if not faster.

"Ally," He simply states.

No reply.

"Ally," He says, a little louder this time.

No reply.

"Allison Kate Smith!" He almost yells.

The use of her full name, something NOBODY ever did, not even her parents when they were mad, made her snap out of it and look at James questioningly. She noticed his food was almost gone, while hers was untouched.

"Jesus Ally are you ok?" He asked with a worried look on his face.

There it is. The worry. God why does he have to care about her so much.

"Yea yea I'm fine, just kinda zoned out there for a sec."

"I'll say," he laughed, "you haven't touched your food, what's got you all of into space?"

"Nothing!" She pushed out, maybe a little too strongly causing him to wonder.

"You sure about that? You're redder than a tomato."

He was right. She was. But it wasn't from sickness. No. She was just completely embarrassed and mortified that she may have just been caught having not so plutonic thoughts about her best friend.

"I... I need to go use the bathroom," She half stammers while getting out of her chair and fleeing to the somewhat reclusive safety of the bathroom.

**

"What in the actual fuck has gotten into you girl. You're better than this," She scolded to herself in the mirror.

She was in the bathroom, standing in front of the mirror just staring at herself. She couldn't believe what had gotten into her. James? Really? Her best friend. Why was she having these thoughts about him? Never once had she thought about him as anything more than a friend, and now she found that she couldn't stop. She turned the tap on as cold as it could go, which isn't a problem considering the sub zero temperature outside. She splashed some water on her face and shivered as little droplets ran down her cheek onto her neck. Just as she was about to splash some more, she heard a knock on the door. She thought her mind was playing tricks on her, since the knock was just a singular, barely audible one. She sat in silence, mortified by the thought of having to face him again. She flinched as she heard the knock again, louder this time. She knew she was being crazy. She knew he was just worried about her, as he always was. She always seemed to over react at things, and this seemed to be one of those times. Putting on a big girl face, she turned and opened the door, slowly, to reveal a worried looking James standing in the hallway.

"You ok?" He asks sheepishly, almost like he thought it was his fault.

"Yea, I'm fine, just had a mini panic attack there for a second." She said, trying to brush it off.

"Don't apologize buttercup, you didn't do anything wrong."

Her mood brightens as she hears her pet name from him. It always seemed to bring her comfort.

"No, I am sorry," pauses, "I didn't mean to freak out like that, I guess it ruined the great meal didn't it?"

"Ally, look at me. You most certainly do NOT have anything to apologize for." He stops for a second, trying to find the right words, " any time I get to spend with you, and meal I get to eat with you, can not be ruined by you. I cherish every moment we get to spend together, and no matter what you do, you can't ruin it for me. "

He says, flinching at the fact that he revealed maybe a little too much.

Ally didn't know what to say. She was effectively brought speechless by him. She didn't know why she did it, but she took a step out to meet him, and wrapped him in a big hug, put her head on his shoulder, and cried. She cried hard, letting loose all the built up anger, sadness, and any other emotion that was being kept inside her for however long she could remember.

She rarely showed emotion, so it was a long time coming. James, being smarter than he looks, realized this was much more emotion than anything that could have happened tonight, and that it probably wouldn't be over for a while. He picked her up, she wrapped her legs around him, and he carried her effortlessly to the couch, where he sat her down then sat next to her, letting her cry on his shoulder for as long as she needed.

The crying went on for a good while, and eventually James could hear the sobs start to decrease, and the quivering start to slow. He looked at his watch, noting that it was a little after eleven, and figured she had gone to sleep. His theory was confirmed when he felt her breathing even out into a slow and steady pace. He dared not move a muscle and risk waking up the sleeping beauty who was curled up next to him with her head on his chest.

They were half sitting half laying on the couch, with his back in the corner and his body on the couch at and angle, allowing her room to cuddle up between him and the backrest with her head on his chest. He would move for nothing. His heart was more than content getting to hold this beautiful creature as she slept the pain away.

He slowly felt himself drifting towards sleep, and before long, he too was passed out on the couch.

**

He woke with a start. It was still dark out, which didn't concern him, but what did is that he couldn't feel Ally next to him anymore. He looked at his watch after hitting the glow button, and saw it was just after 7 in the morning. He knew Ally was an early riser so that helped calm him at the mystery of where she went. His worry was completely dissolved when he smelled bacon coming from the kitchen.

He wiped his eyes and slowly brought himself to sit upright, with his elbows on his knees. He felt his boots make contact with the hardwood of the living room floor, and finally got the strength to pull himself to his feet. He almost subconsciously drifted to the smell of bacon, as he turned the corner into the kitchen he stopped head in his track. What he saw, took his breath away and then some. Apparently Ally felt she needed to change out of her dirty tear soaked shirt, and decided to help herself to one of his from his room.

He started from the bottom, taking in every inch of the goddess that was happily working away in his kitchen. She was wearing her leggings from the day before, bare feet on the hardwood, and his too big 'a gun is faster than calling the cops shirt' that had an American flag made of guns on the back. Her hair was messy from the night before, a look that he deemed her best. She had her back to him, working on making sure the bacon didn't burn.

After a moment or two, she could feel his eyes on her, a skill she had that she didn't understand how it worked. She turned around and leaned against the counter, and looked at him. Staring is more like it, just like he had, she took a moment to take the sight of him in.

He still had his boots on, he always did, his ratty old jeans that she thought made him look oh so manly, a wrinkled hank jr. shirt, and his signature three day beard he always seemed to have. She really liked that beard, it was full, but well kept and short, just enough to feel scratchy. His hair was all disheveled from sleep and running his hands through it like he always did. Without a doubt, she thought he looked good. Too good actually. She quickly turned back around, half to keep her from staring and half so she wouldn't burn the bacon. She knew he didn't like his too done.

When her breakfast finally got done they sat down at the table in their normal spots across from one another, and ate in relative silence. It was normal for them since they both loved their food, they'd eat in silence then talk after. Ally found herself looking up from her food at James more than she normally would. Those thoughts were coming back to her, but unlike yesterday, they didn't freak her out. She actually welcomed the thoughts. She guessed that falling asleep on the couch curled up next to him may have had something to do with it. Whatever it was, she could tell something in her had definitely changed.

**

Later that day, with the blizzard still coming down, and the roads still closed, they settled into their normal routine as if there wasn't a blizzard. James built the fire back up, and Ally went over to the huge rack of movies in the corner and picked one out. It was one they had watched together dozens of times, one James always claimed to hate, but ended up enjoying it each time. She turned to him and held up the case with a mischievous look on her face.

"Damnit Ally, not that again. We've seen it like two dozen times!"

"Oh yes mister. This movie. You know you love it don't even try to lie to me."

"It was good the first ten mines, now it's just old and annoying."

She held the case close to her chest, almost like she was protecting it and said,

"You take that back! Pure Country is the most amazing movie ever and you know it!"

James just shrugged and settled in on the couch while she set up the movie. Once she had it going she sat down next to him and curled up with her head on his chest, her preferred position to watch any movie with him, and they always found themselves in this position. James always loved to watch movies with her, not because he enjoyed the movies, but he enjoyed being close to her. Today, Ally found herself thinking the same thing. She marveled at how strong he felt, cuddling her up like a little kid. She liked that. She felt protected.

The rest of the day went along pretty much like that, doing a whole lot of nothing to kill the time. By about nine-thirty the storm had subsided and the roads were cleared. The long driveway wasn't though, so before he could let Ally go home, he had to go fire up the old tractor that never seemed to want to start and plow a path for the little car.

Later that night Ally found herself lying in bed, wondering why she felt so empty and lonely without James holding her as she fell asleep. Meanwhile, across the little town and back in the woods, James was feeling the same way.

**

The rest of the week went by as usual. The pair spent all the time they could together, doing whatever small town kids did to kill time and have fun, which during this time of year, was limited due to the weather. James always liked to go snowmobiling, since his house was only about 3 miles from a major trail head, and Ally always begged to go with. She loved to do all that outdoors stuff James lived to do.

It was Friday evening, and the pair just got in from a several mile snowmobile trek. And Ally was about ready to freeze to death. She couldn't be happier, but right now, she needed the warmth of James' living room fireplace. They pulled the snowmobile into the barn and hung up all their outer gear on the hooks. James watched, awestruck as always, as Ally shook her hair out of the helmet. He thought she looked like a model when she shake her hair out. Well, that's not true, he thought she looked better than any model he had ever seen.

They got into his old truck and started down the driveway towards the house. Ally was shivering from the lack of heat in the truck, and was thankful when they finally pulled up to the house. The pair went inside and James immediately went to go stir up the fire since he knew Ally was near the point of being miserable. She went to go to the little girls room to relieve herself, and on her way, as she was turning the corner, she ran into James' mom.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry ma'am," She said, hoping the woman wasn't mad at her for making her drop the bag she was carrying.

"Oh jeez Ally, how many times do I have to tell you, call me Shelli. And also, don't be sorry, you couldn't have known I was rounding the corner. "

"Yes ma'am, I mean Shelli," she said and smiled.

"I'm off to work, I was lucky enough to draw the night shift tonight, but at least I'll have off the rest of the weekend and Monday. Tell James I said to order in if he doesn't feel like cooking, I gotta run, have a good night you two."