It’ll Never Happen

Story Info
Can a love between best friends ever work?
10.2k words
4.65
62.3k
122

Part 1 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 01/06/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BlueBran
BlueBran
382 Followers

*All characters engaged in sexual activity in this story are at least 18 years of age*

*Note from the author*

I had always loved to read these kinds of stories. Over the past years I seem to have read all of them on Literotica. With that, I decided to write me own. The only writing I've ever done is in my high school English classes, so please bear with me. Any feedback is welcome feed back. Chapter two is mostly done if y'all want to read that too. Best wishes and a happy new year -- BlueBran

*

Ch.1

"Mother fucker," he said, hitting his alarm clock for the third time that morning. It was Monday, and just like Garfield, James hated Monday's. He hated Tuesday's too. He pretty much hated every day that wasn't the weekend, where he got that much needed break from the monstrosity that is high school.

James wasn't your average high school kid. He didn't play football, always said it got in the way of deer season. Didn't play basketball, he just never liked it. He played baseball up until a few years ago, but he sort of lost interest after a disagreement with the coaching staff. James didn't listen to the music everyone else did, thought rap was a talentless art, instead he found himself listening to old Hank songs, and every once in a while, some Merle haggard if the mood was right. He wore his beat up boots and wranglers every day, unlike the nikes and joggers everyone else wore. If you put him in a crowd, you could spot him in an instant. He was about 5'11 in bare feet, but his Irish setters put him up to about 6'. You never saw him without a beat up ball cap on his head. James was what most city people call a redneck, driving around his big old beat up diesel truck (a 1989 dodge Cummins 5 speed for all you motor heads out there). He chewed stokers, a habit his mother hated, so as a result he made his best effort to hide it.

He climbed out of bed, cursing the warmth of that he just left, and trotted to the bathroom in his underwear. It was 6:15 in the morning, he didn't have to be to school until 7:30 when classes started, but his dad raised him to always be early, so he'd probably get there around 7. James wiped the sleep from his eyes and stared at himself in the mirror. He saw his tired eyes, three day beard he kept putting off shaving, and his messy hair.

"Fuck this," he said to no one in particular.

He silently went about his morning routine, brushing his teeth, putting on deodorant, and packing his lip with the stokers he loved oh so much. He wondered what he'd do without it. He certainly wouldn't be able to function in the morning. Dip to him was like coffee to some. James lazily threw on his dirty jeans, and a ratty old t-shirt he found on his floor that didn't smell to bad.

"I really need to do some damn laundry," he said, again, to nobody in particular.

He climbed the stairs from the basement in which he lived, and walked into the kitchen, thanking god his mom left for work before he got up, so he didn't have to hide his dip. She was a nurse at the local hospital and had to be to work early, which she didn't mind since she got to be home earlier than most working people.

James walked out into the garage, slipped on his Irish setter cowboy boots, and trudged out into the snow to go start his truck up so it had time to warm up before he left. Sometimes he hated his old truck, since in Michigan it got cold, real cold, and old trucks just love starting in the cold of winter. Not. Luckily for him, it turned over on the second try and puffed out that big cloud of black smoke he has come to love. Yep, today was just like any old morning to James, and he still hated it. He hated going to school. For many reasons. It was boring, he didn't care for many of his teachers, the food was shitty, but most importantly, Ally was there. Oh how he dreaded to see her in the hallways, sitting next to her in what seemed like all of his classes.

"Fuck the seating chart," he grumbled out.

Ally Smith was the reason James didn't date much in high school, the reason had never really done anything with a girl. She's the reason he didn't do a lot of things. Way back in seventh grade, James started to get a little middle school crush on her. He was logical, and figured she was way out of his league, and she'd never like him anyways. He was also smart enough to realize it was just a middle school crush, and it wouldn't last. How wrong he was... it seemed like she ruled all of his thoughts from that moment on. When they hit freshman year, he got paired with her for a science project. They never really talked much before that, but it seemed like that project brought them together, and from then on they were very close friends, more times than not, best friends.

It may seem strange that since they're best friends, he's dreading to see her, and you would be right, it is strange. James loves their friendship just as much as he loves her, but she could never know that. He made it a point that she'd never know that.

To her, they were just best friends. That's it. James lived for every minute he got to spend with her, but at the same time he dreaded it. He hated spending time with her, and not being able to hold her, and since they were best friends, they spent a lot of time together. They went over to each other's houses almost every day, sometimes spending the night if it got too late to drive home, or if the roads got bad. On more than one occasion they were snowed in at one of their houses, home alone, Parents trapped at work. For normal best friends, this is no problem, but to James, it was almost like hell. He wanted so bad to tell her how he felt, to hold her in his arms, but he just couldn't. He couldn't risk the friendship. He figured having her as a friend was better than not having her at all.

Ally was a shorter girl, about 5'3", and built not like your average girl. She was skinny, but not as skinny as the other girls who felt like they would die if you couldn't see all of their hip bones. She had fairly muscular legs due to her years of soccer, and long dirty blonde hair he loved so much.

But enough of that, back to the dreadful Monday morning.

As he sat in the warmth of his house waiting for the truck to warm up, James took out his phone to see if he had any texts from Ally. He did, three of them. She seemed sort of worried about something for some reason.

*James r u up?*

*James can u call me?*

*James I need your help?*

He wondered what had gotten into her, but thought nothing of it, as she always was worrying about something, that's just how she was. He hit the call button next to her name and let it ring. She surprised him by picking up on the second ring, since she normally has her ringer off and ends up having to call him back since she missed the call.

"James thank god you got my texts,"

she said, almost like she was in a rush, or just worked up about something, he couldn't tell.

"Yea, you seem worried, what's up?"

"Oh my god James! I don't know what to do! I was on my way to get gas before school and I hit some black ice and slid off the road!"

"Ally are you ok? Where are you, im on my way right now?"

"I'm on my road, I barely made it 2 miles!"

This statement worried James. He knew the way to Ally's house very well. He knew about two miles from her house (he knew it was two miles, since he's sort of old fashioned, he pays attention to those things) there was a huge 10 foot deep ditch on one side. He hoped to god she didn't fall into that. That would certainly mean trouble.

With the call done, he figured his truck should be warm enough so he won't break anything (warm is just for the engine, the damn thing didn't have heat) so he jumped up in it, found and empty bottle on the floor to spit in, and crammed it in reverse and flew down his long driveway without even taking the time to turn around. James started working through the gears until he was pedal down in 5th. He knew he was going a little too fast for the conditions the road were in, but he didn't car, Ally needed his help.

As he worked back down the gears he could see ally standing by side of the road, waving at him frantically. James rolled to a stop, left it in neutral, and got out to go check on her. She seemed more worried about her car than herself, but James made a point to look her over to check for damage.

She noticed the way he was looking at her. A look he often gives her when there's a chance she could be hurt. She liked that he actually cared about her. Not like the guys she was used to.

As he checked her over, he could see the little smile she was giving him. James lived it when she smiled. It was always the best part of his day. As he felt himself start to warm up from her smile, despite the cold Michigan air, he turned to look at her car. Thankfully, it was in the shallow ditch on the other side of the road, just bogged down in the deep snow that had accumulated during the most recent snow storm.

His truck wouldn't be stuck, but since Ally drove a little car, well, she was buried up to the bumpers in deep snow. James knew it wouldn't be a problem to get out, but he also liked messing with Ally. She worried about almost everything, so messing with her was quite easy at times.

"Holy shit Ally! What did you do? You really got her stuck didn't you?"

"Shut up James. I couldn't help it, the black ice came out of nowhere, there was nothing I could do!"

"I know I know, I'm just messing with you. But I'm really not sure if I can get this thing out of the ditch, let alone in time for school"

"No no no no no, James don't tell me that! You can get anything out of anywhere. I've seen you do it. Please please please get my car out of here!"

She was right, and he knew it. He could pull anything out of anywhere. He once pulled a tractor out of a two foot deep mud hold. This would be easy.

"I'll try my best Ally, you know I will, but I can't promise anything. We may have to call a wrecker..."

"No! We can't. I can't. My dad will KILL me if he found out I got stuck in a ditch. He already thinks I can't drive worth a damn, hell never let me live this down."

With that, James walked cooly over to his truck and pulled his rusty old tow chains his Papa gave him out of the bed, and walked over to her car. He kicked all of the snow he could away from the back end and got down on the ground to see where he could hook it up to. She didn't have a tow package, so his next best option was the control arm.

He hooked it up and crawled out from underneath, telling her to get in her car and put it in neutral, he knew his truck had more than enough power to pull her out unassisted. He pulled his truck up behind her car and hooked the other end to his front tow hook, got in, and put the ole girl into reverse, and started to back up, Ally's car budged a little, but James wasn't giving it enough to get it out. He got out of his truck and walked up to her window.

"You're really buried here Ally, that was all I had," he quipped.

At this point, she knew he was joking with her. She always knew, but she also knew he loved to joke, so she pretended to get all worked up at things to appease her best friend.

"Please, try again. I need to get this out of here or my dad will kill me!" She said, feigning distress.

Jake figured she had had enough, so he walked back over to his truck, jumps on up, and tried again, this time, he gave it just a little more throttle, but more than enough to pull the almost toy sized impala out of the ditch and safely back onto the road.

Ally got out of her car and ran over to James, giving him a big hug that made him get that tingly feeling he was so used to, she really was a hugger.

"You asshole!" She yelled at him

"What did I do? I got your car out didn't I?"

"You made me worry for nothing. That was easy, you were just joking with me weren't you?"

She knew the answer already. She knew more than James thought. She also knew his truck. She'd spent countless hours in the old thing, and she loved every minute of it. She was sort of a motor head herself, not as big a James, but she learned a lot from him, always watching him working on something under the hood, helping out when he'd let her. She really did cherish all those hours they spent together in his barn.

"Maybe a little bit, couldn't help myself," he smirked.

"Seriously James, thank you so much. I don't know what I'd do without you."

With that, she got up on her toes, and kissed him on his cheek, turned, and got in her car and headed off to school, leaving James standing in the middle of Sawmill road. She did that all the time. Kissed his cheek. James knew it was just something she did, and it didn't mean anything, but every time it left him speechless.

"Damn I'm in over my head aren't I" he said, but the only one who could hear him was the old Cummins.

**

"James? James? Earth to James!"

It was Ally, it was 5th hour, and it was physics. He hated physics. So often he would completely zone out in the class. He was good at it, he was good at school in general, barely even putting any effort in for all of high school and still managing to carry a 3.9 GPA. A skill Ally envied him for.

She was smart, god was she smart. She was top of the class, 4.0 student, valedictorian. But she had to work for it. She studied for everything, something James rarely, if ever did. She took time on her homework, James just kind of rushed through it so he could get back to doing whatever the hell he was doing at that time. It seemed the only reason he turned his work in on time was because Ally wouldn't let him not do it, and man did he try not to.

"James! Can you even hear me?"

It was Ally again, this time he turned to face her, and as soon as he saw her, his face lit up with that crooked half smile that all the girls seemed to love, regardless of how they felt about him. He did that every time he saw her, and she was thankful for it.

"What are you doing after school?"

She asked him plainly, it seemed she asked that every day, and the answer was always the same.

"Probably gonna go chew too much tobacco and turn some wrenches for too long. Just got a new turbo for the truck, and it's not gonna put itself in"

"Ooooo sounds like fun? Can I help?"

"I'm still not convinced you actually enjoy hanging out and working on my truck"

With that he chuckled, a deep heartwarming chuckle, one of his many signature traits.

"I sure as hell do. I love learning how things work, you know that."

"Yea, I've noticed," he laughed again.

"So can I?"

"You know I can't say know to you right?"

"Yes, yes I do know, so just be thankful I don't take advantage of it."

She laughed and winked as she said it. She knew she could never take advantage of him like that. She knew he would do literally anything for her. She loved that about him. He really did genuinely care about her. Sometimes she though she got the sense that he cared about her as more than a friend, but she always dismissed that though, saying that's just how he is, how he was raised. He'd never like her, there was no was she could be his type.

The rest of the day trudged on like it always does, physics was just a bunch of random math he didn't care for. Just as he was about to ask Ally a question about a problem in the book, the bell rang, signaling that there was only one more hour until James could rush home, turn on the heater in the barn, and spend countless hours doing what he loved, turning wrenches and hanging out with Ally. He loved to hang out with her, but he dreaded it. The dread was minuscule, but it was there, and he knew it was only because she wasn't his, and never would be.

**

James was lost in the engine bay, it happened a lot. He would often find himself totally immersed in what he was doing. He'd tune out the outside world, which was hard to do, considering most times he was turning wrenches, Ally was right there with him, studying his every move, and sometimes, he'd forget to explain to her what he was doing, and why he was doing it. This, however, made her mad, since wanted to learn all she could. Not because she truly wanted to know how to do it, which she actually did, or because she like working on motors, which she did, but because James lived for it, and she loved to see him in his happy place.

It seemed like recently she found herself thinking about James more and more. A fact that sort of startled her, since she never even considered the possibility of them as anything more than best friends. She convinced herself they were just getting closer, becoming better friends than they already were. She didn't mind this thought, since she truly did love James, just not like that.

James had asked Ally to change his oil while he was putting the turbo on. A task that he would never dream of asking anyone else to do, since he like to be the one in charge of what happened to his truck, and because asking people to do stuff for you isn't how he was raised. But James knew that she actually enjoyed working on his truck with him, and she always wanted to be doing something, and since changing the turbo was a one man job and she might get in the way, he figured he put her to work elsewhere. He knew she wouldn't mind, hell he knew she'd be delighted to be able to help him. She always felt so special when she got to work on the truck with him, because she knew how he felt about letting people work on it.

She slid under the truck on the creeper, and went to work. The truck was lifted 6 inches, and it already sat pretty high stock, so she had a lot of room to work. Through the engine bay, which was too big for the already big motor that was in it, he could see her through the down pipes, happily working away. He sat there and watched her for a minute, just admiring her beauty and determination.

Ally could sense eyes on her, and since she knew they were the only two out in the barn, she knew right where to look. As she looked up she could see James through the pipes, smiling with that oh so cute crooked smile that warmed her heart. She looked up and him and smiled, a gesture that only served to widen his smile even more. She loved how he looked at her. Thought it made her feel beautiful and wanted in the world. That's why she convinced herself she didn't like James. She knew if she tried something, it could back fire and he would walk out of her life forever, and she didn't think she could handle a life without James by her side.

**

A few hours had passed, and it seemed like all the work was done that needed to be done. They continued their routine by going over to the big tub sink in the corner and washing off the grease and oil from their arms, and the little bit that always seemed to wind up on James cheek, and Ally seemed to always be the one who had to clean it off. After she cleaned the little spot of grease on his cheek, she leaned up and kissed it, as she always did. It was just one of her things.

Instead of going inside to hang out where it was warmer, she opted to stay in the barn and sit and talk on the old couch that was against one of the walls. She always wanted to stay out here, since she knew if she went inside, they'd wind up in his room. And if they wound up in his room, she would get mad at him for the big pile of dirty laundry that somehow always seemed to be growing in the corner. She also knew, from experience, that if she got mad at him for it, she would wind up picking it up, hauling it downstairs, and doing it for him. She was a clean person, she always was. She was clean until it was time to get dirty, which she and James did often. In the warmer months they would always somehow end up riding through a big mud hole on one toy or another.

They sat on the couch, drank the sweet tea that was always in the barn fridge, and talked for hours. They talked about everything. The pair had virtually no secrets, except for the big one James vowed to always keep. When it was time for Ally to head home, they walked to the big sliding door, and James slid it open. The both stopped dead in their tracks as to what they saw.

BlueBran
BlueBran
382 Followers