All Comments on 'It's Complicated Ch. 04'

by AspernEssling

Sort by:
  • 22 Comments
mithanialmithanial3 months ago

I have enjoyed a lot of your creative work. My gut tells me this is a betrayed becomes the monster sort of story and I get it. But the journey isn't for me. The fall from grace on the MCs standpoint... Or maybe he's been the bad guy all along that the wife is trying to reform and you're trying to share the perspective of how the villain feels justified? I just don't know. Too much gray area for my tastes in this sort of story. I'll applaud your work even though it's not for me.

chick2206chick22063 months ago

a very complicated story very difficult to score 5 starts but equally difficult to give it any less. Many thoughts are disturbing

MimiRayMimiRay3 months ago

In response to the other comments, all I can say is, well... It's complicated.

ender2k2kender2k2k3 months ago

I thought the title of this story was cliche but it really does fit. I can’t wait for the next chapter. Thanks

LwcbyLwcby3 months ago

Good Story, just mad that it posted today. Jan. 28 three days after it was supposed to, after it was already late. Wish you would post on Inkitt. I'll quit being an Asspain. Thanks for the story... Can't wait for the Finale'...Tried to use the accent, looks like an apostrophe. Damn I'm just fucking up right and left...😁👍

AmbivalenceAmbivalence3 months ago

Hmmm... I notice John, Paul, and Steve (as well as Carol) all missing.

Sounds like she's getting made airtight...?

.

"Oh yeah, I'm almost *definitely* done swapping," Chris responds. "By the way, if anyone is in need of a cheating slut, Carol will be free soon enough."

SweboSwebo3 months ago

I think this story's title is right on the nose (as opposed to being 'a bit on' IYKWIM). Chris' life before Carol strays _seemed_ like it was fine - he's financially secure, professionally successful, and, most importantly, happily married. But if you reread that first chapter, Chris has serious trust issues. He's cagey and careful. He only really trusts Andrew and Carol (which is what makes her betrayal so devastating). It might be that this general distrust is narrative back projection of post-betrayal bitterness, but AE has alluded to there being reasons for this in Chris' upbringing, which I expect will be revealed forthwith. In any case, what I think we have here is a revenge story masking a redemption arc - Chris finding what he actually needs to be happy after his supposedly happy life is shattered - which is quite cleverly and entertainingly done. Or, you know, I'm wrong. It's complicated, apparently. Thanks again, AE!

waifwaif3 months ago

@Lwcby, you have to understand that posting stories is a process and depends on who is available to review it for submission, as well as how long it takes to read it for review. It could spend a week waiting for approval after the author has posted it. That is not a criticism of the site at all. It is just a reality that we have to learn to deal with if we choose to read them.

-

I am sure that there would be a quicker turnaround if we were all paying a monthly fee to join.

FrenchTomcatFrenchTomcat3 months ago

Another amazing episode. I can see the clouds starting to clear but I'm still worried about what's going to happen when all hell breaks loose. Maybe not Nora Fares-level sorrow, but that could be bad.

I'm looking forward to reading the next episode a lot, thanks for sharing :)

Francois101Francois1013 months ago

Waiting for the next chapter is just such a drag! I really like your story.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

first off thanks for another good chapter.

good to see it is heading for the end. it had started to drag on a bit when i and no doubt others want it to get on to the revenge part. and i have to say his wife does deserve some revenge too and to just "not rewarded" because she is a horrible character too.

also please do not make Kim turn Bi. i hate it when so many stories on here can not seem to accept a straight woman being in a relationship with a guy who is also in a relationship with another woman even though that does happen in real life.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

I'm really into this. Payback time is close! But there will be bumps ahead. Great work!

GodultraGodultra3 months ago

It’s not complicated.

If you’ve been cheated on by the one you were all in with, you’d get it.

Five stars.

nin01001nin010013 months ago

Thoroughly enjoying this story, thank you for sharing it

Comentarista82Comentarista823 months ago

I have to say that your ending surprised me- - although I know you're the master of the curveball where you will throw one or two right before the end of the story-- and still resolve most all of the important threads that need to be addressed. I really was expecting the club to endure the entire time necessary- - right up to the point Chris was ready to spring his trap - - and then rain down all hell. Now it kind of makes me wonder how you plan to account for this. I know enough to trust how you handle things to know that you'll resolve it satisfactorily.

***

I loved how you employed Mona to cut through some of the stuff that Chris may have been thinking he needed to add to thoroughly exact revenge upon Steve. I also knew that I had to reread the story, because I figured I missed something important; sure enough I did--and it was right at the beginning. In fact, you're using Chris as the protagonist and Steve is an antagonist; more than that you contrast both of them, as Chris is the guy simply trying to extricate himself from a situation no one desires to be in--namely that of the cheated upon spouse - - and then extricating Kim while later punishing Steve the way he needs to be. As a side note, I'm sure there would be plenty guys lining up behind Chris that have read this story, that would be willing to take a baseball bat to Steve and help Chris out in some way. I appreciate again how you're trying to remove Kim from this garbage, because Steve definitely has used her awfully; you correctly reflect and extend that behavior to the club members, because they discount Kim as well. It's sad to read, but it makes perfect sense: if someone looked upon as valued treats someone else as garbage, the likelihood is the rest of the groupies will also treat that person as garbage.. even if that person clearly doesn't deserve it like her. So, you're tapping into some real-life dynamics here, and you're not just leaving this as fiction and hoping to sell it strictly on that basis. Now, I still question how you're going to float Chris enjoying both Mona and being able to appreciate Kim and value her appropriately after all the degradations she suffered... but you handled similar situations well, and how you chose to resolve them has not turned my stomach a single time. So I will also trust you on that as well. The other thing is that leaving Chris so cash strapped, even with Mona's significant income.. and even with Kim bringing some in later, I can't see them living like paupers although yeah to live in California could be a challenge after he's done with all this.

***

Just wanted to throw out some reality checks, just so some other commenters see these and reflect on the story.. as for some reason a few are thinking Chris is just really trying to become an Emperor Palpatine here, and that is not the case at all: this guy is simply trying to get out of this undesirable situation while providing someone who deserves it the comeuppance they earned. One thing is that I liked and enjoyed how he saved that mission and donated some extra money to them as a charitable cause. That already goes beyond what he's trying to do by trying to rescue Kim and build her back up after all she suffered. For those that haven't read the previous story that this kind of ties into, you should all read the story Devil's Bargain. Additionally, the private assisted-living figure per month that you quoted is exactly spot on! Even around 2000, just a very average nursing home would have asked $3,000 a month. It turns out that since a while back, Florida upped the prices on things like this, and it's right at $5,000 or more per month for this exact kind of thing. So yeah, it sucks getting old anymore.. because there aren't cheap fallbacks available at all.

***

Must say I'm waiting on chapter 5 with bated breath, although it's pretty obvious that whatever is still going on with the submissions that there is some kind of backlog that still exists. So yeah, I know you've got it done but I'm thinking there's at least two more chapters to go before we can see an ending. Of course, since you've gotten pretty good at obfuscating when you're going to end things in recent times.. I may be wrong about that. Either way, you've earned a hands down 5!

rbloch66rbloch663 months ago

The writing is plainly on the wall, but a little bit more of a wrap up is due. It feels incomplete.

Richard1940Richard19403 months ago

If this is the end of the story I'm disappointed but I'm still hopeful that there will be a finale to come. I've just binge read the entire story to date. having previously read the the first two chapters, and thoroughly enjoyed it. 5* all the way. Thank you for the pleasure you give.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Got nothing to say...

Just waiting for the next chapter and pliz aspern let it be long

Make it long if you have to... Thanks

Crusader235Crusader2353 months ago

Real good chapter. Can't wait for when Steve gets his. Five stars.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy3 months ago

Still waiting for things to come to a head!

5

LegacybadLegacybad3 months ago

Excellent chapter. I can already smell the smoke

inka2222inka22223 months ago

OMG! The only thing I disliked about this story is that I was to dumb to check the dates and realize it wasn't finished yet (unfinished stories are a slight pet peeve). BUT IT IS WORTH IT! Unless the author manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory somehow, this is shaping up to not just be an amazing 5 star story, but probably one of my very favorites in recent year(s), if not ever. And this comes from someone who dislikes swinging LW stories in general. Big thank you to the author, and I can't wait to see the conclusion

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAspernEssling@AspernEssling
4307 Followers
Still writing. More to come. For those who are interested: you may have noticed that I mention music fairly often. That's because I tend to listen to music while I write, so that certain artists/albums become associated with certain stories. Here are some of the connections. G...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES