All Comments on 'Jack Be Quick Ch. 03'

by HansTrimble

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
TerrytheTravelerTerrytheTravelerover 9 years ago
Great Fun

Only one miss fire: No empty chambers in the serious gun carrying business. An empty chamber in a defensive handgun is a small part of a large ungainly paperweight.

Otherwise, loving the tale. Keep up the good work.

HansTrimbleHansTrimbleover 9 years agoAuthor
By golly, Terry, you're right!

I just went back and read the part where Trudy is getting him all suited up, and the final rack of the slide to load the chamber isn't there. Must have got lost in the editing. Thank you for catching that. Normally, the magazine would be dropped out then and one more cartridge would be pushed into it, before shoving the magazine home for good. I purposely left that out, reasoning that with time being of essence (traveling maybe 80 to 100 mph) going one shot short in the mag wouldn't be a problem.

Then I got wondering if my Daewoo was properly stoked. I had it at the range a week ago, and sometimes when I'm packing up to go home I get in a rush. So I cleared it and went through the whole procedure to make sure. It did have thirteen in the mag plus one in the chamber, just as God intended, so the mistake in my story wasn't repeated in real life.

Incidentally, the Daewoo nine is a sweet little pistol. Mine sits beside me when I'm at the computer. I don't like to mention it in my stories because they're out of production (in fact, Daewoo is out of business) and all but impossible to find. Anybody who owns one will tell you emphatically that it's not for sale. If you ever come across one, buy it quick!

bruce22bruce22over 9 years ago
Enthralling Tale

What is Trudy majoring in? Jack's eye for detail is quite impressive.

PurplefizzPurplefizzabout 2 months ago

Really good story so far, which I’m thoroughly enjoying! Fwiw you made a big deal out of how quick Jacks mental processing was, but several of the things you’ve had him exceeding expectations at is a quick mind coupled to excellent hand/eye coordination, which is very different, should you ever decide to rewrite this story, it might be a minor mod to consider, after all lots of “Nerds” have very quick mental processing, but their physical coordination isn’t necessarily quite as good.

Cheers, Ppfzz 5⭐️

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userHansTrimble@HansTrimble
I'm an engineer, widowed, retired from the aircraft industry and loving every minute of my retirement! It's great being able to do what I want, when I want, the way I want. I've found it very relaxing to sit at the keyboard at night, when everything is quiet, and write wha...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES