Jack's Rebirth Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Up you go, buddy". He looked at the Bronco with a certain amount of awe.

"This is yours?".

"Yup".

He climbed in and faced the custom bucket seat in back, with the child seat in it.

"Now, by state law, you got to sit in this special seat, or they throw my ass in jail. So, let me show you how to latch in, just like the astronauts, and then you can try it. Then you can make sure your sister gets latched in correctly when she gets in the back and that will make it easier for your mom. O.K.?".

He was mesmerized as I showed him how to secure himself, then I unbuckled him and told him to try. He got it on the first shot.

"Solid, Jackson". He looked at me like I had two heads.

"Old joke. Never mind", I said.

I got in and his mom had buckled in Marilyn and was strapping herself in.

I hit the key, my girl roared to life, and I said "CONTACT!" which elicited a giggle from Gloria and puzzled looks from my two backseat passengers. We left the parking lot and motored off to the 'safe house'.

Now when the divorce was final, I treated myself to a little celebration. I went to the best jewelers in town (actually where I had bought Lauren's engagement ring). The old adage that an engagement ring should cost one month's salary was in play. So $5400 later, I thought I had done a good job. It would be Ramen and PB&J for a while, but hey, she was worth it.

(YEAH, RIGHT!)

The jeweler listened to my tale of woe and took pity on me. That and the fact that the ring was now worth over $7000. So $6000 later and the additional $1500 for the wedding bands ('I'll just melt them down for the gold', he said) I left for the 4-wheel drive emporium in town. I took the only loyal female in my life, my '81 Bronco, and lavished money on her. The bucket seats, a full console, a new stereo system, trick suspension, a roll cage, new exhaust and intake, and a tinted inset in the fiberglass back roof with a sunshade. $11000 later, I felt better, my truck felt better, and I had exorcised Lauren from my life.

See, she hated riding in the 'big horse' as she called it. It was always the Lexus when we went to any place together.

So here we were, riding along. After a few minutes, the kids were bouncing up and down and singing in time to the radio. Their mom was smiling and seemed to be relaxing. She had somehow managed to pull her good-looking legs up under that cute little ass and was almost curled into a ball.

She was not looking out the side window anymore. Now she was concentrating on me.

"You made quite an impression on my children. I admit Marilyn is a bit of a pushover, but Micheal has seen some things and takes our safety seriously. And by 'our' safety I mean 'MINE'. He is very protective of me".

She was grinning and enjoying this.

"So, is this your only 'ride', Jack? I can't believe women like riding in this. Not that I don't like it", she purred. "I do".

Oh, YEAH! Almost any woman in Texas would kill to ride in a rig like this.

WOW!! Where was this coming from? I cast an inquisitive glance toward her and was rewarded with a mischievous grin. But she didn't break her look. She held my eye and continued.

"So where are we going? How secure is this safe house? And who's running it?".

Now I was squirming. I was a little uncomfortable. This was totally out of character for Gloria.

"Oh, I think you'll be pleased. The folks who own it are good people and they will keep you safe". 'Even my mom has a carry permit', I chuckled to myself.

"Any way, I think you'll fit in fine".

"Uh, Huh", she answered.

We rode in silence, each of us lost in our own thoughts. At least, I was. This was a total reversal of her attitude towards me. What the fuck was going on?

We pulled up in my parent's drive and I don't want to say that my mom was waiting and watching, but she was waiting and watching. I no sooner put the truck in the park than she was out the door and racing towards us. I got out and intercepted the most important woman in my life (so far) and led her to the passenger side of the Bronco. Gloria had opened the door and climbed (or sort of slipped) out of the cab, and smoothed her slacks. She straightened up and stood solemnly facing my mom.

Mom stopped and looked at her. Then she turned and looked at me. Her mind was in overdrive. 'This girl is special, both as a woman and to him. He just doesn't know it- YET'.

She's smart, for a mature woman. (She's my mom, I'm not gonna call her old.)

"So, are you going to introduce us, baby?".

"OH, Yeah. Mom, this is Ms. Gloria Ortiz. She is in protective custody, because she has been threatened by some bad characters. I didn't have any thing else that I could do, she lost her job, and her apartment, and she has no money and she and her kids are in need of help." I put on my best helpless son look.

About that time, Marilyn and Micheal fell out of the truck. Marilyn walked up to my mother and said, "Hello, my name is Marilyn Ortiz. I am 5 years old. Who are you?".

Mom was thrilled.

Micheal, on the other hand, came up to me, and our former 'friendship' was gone.

"YOU'RE A COP? ARE WE UNDER ARREST? WHAT DID WE DO? WHAT DID MY MOM DO??".

Gloria to the rescue.

"Micheal Ortiz, AGAIN, mind your manners. That is no way to talk".

She turned to my mom.

"I apologize for my son's behavior. He is very protective of us."

Mom took control.

"He appears to be a fine, upstanding young man. A worthy son. You don't have to apologize for him".

Bending down, she extended her hand to Micheal.

"Hello, young man. I am Mrs. Stone. I am Jonathan's mother. I am ...."

Confusion reigned.

"Who's 'Johnathan'?".

Mom hesitated for a moment.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Jack. You must know him as Jack."

"You are Jack's mom?". Gloria was nonplussed.

"I am. Jack called and said he had a problem and no way to solve it. I understand you already talked to my daughter and son-in-law. They spoke very highly of you". Gloria swiveled her head and stared at me. I raised my face and contemplated the birds and the trees.

'I think I see why,' mused Mom.

"Well, let's get you situated. Jack, get their things. Young man," she said to Micheal, "help with the luggage. Come along, now, Ladies....". She held out her hands and gathered her charges into her home.

Well, Mike and I, being guys, gathered up the book bags and luggage and trudged into the house. I led Mike to the bedrooms and into what I assumed would be his room for a while. My old room, complete with bunk beds. He flipped out when he saw the Star Wars posters and the auto photos on the wall. When they stayed over, my nephew Daniel Jr. slept here.

We moved some things around and got his 'dirty' clothes to the laundry room. Then we took his mother's and sister's stuff to their bedrooms. The ladies were jabbering away, so I took the young man to the family room.

"How about a juice box, bud?".

His eyes widened and he said, "I only get them in school".

"Well, we're not in school but if you don't tell, I'll sneak one to you".

I went to the frig and scored a juice box and a Coke.

By the time I returned to the family room, we had been joined by the ladies. Mom announced dinner plans as soon as Dad got home. Gloria took the two kids to the kitchen to do their 'homework' while she helped with dinner prep. I chilled and made small talk.

Dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

Homework consisted of colors and letters for Marilyn, and names of the states, simple addition and subtraction for Micheal.

Like I said, I made small talk.

Dad rolled in at about 5:30 and Mom and Gloria set the table. Dad was surprised by our guests. Marilyn immediately won him over. Micheal was reserved but Dad lapsed into grandpa mode, and soon he was conversing with Mike like old friends.

I was invited to stay for supper (nice, huh?) and after apple pie, ice cream, and coffee (and milk for the kids) we adjourned to the family room. Mom and Gloria sat on the sofa, Dad had his recliner, I was relegated to the floor with the kids, and we watched some mindless dribble on the t.v. After a while, Gloria took the kids to bed assisted by pseudo-grandma, and I brought my dad up to date on the situation.

"So, son, how serious are you? Because she is smitten with you. I've seen her look at you and she is definitely into you."

"Are you serious, dad? She barely gives me civil answers when we talk, and she thinks I'm after something. She is very broken from an emotional standpoint and I feel sorry for her. But I can't make any inroads with her attitude. Why doesn't she like me, dad?"

My dad looked at me and chuckled.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize how bad you had it for her. You want her to like you??You really do like her. I'm impressed, son. She appears to be a good woman, devoted to her children, respectful to other people, and nuts about you. She exhibits the same aspects of a teen-aged girl with her first serious crush,. She doesn't know what to do. She's never been there before and she is scared. Just go slow. You know what you want. Let her offer it to you."

I think my father has lost it. Yeah, I really could see me like this woman, but she didn't seem to be into me.

OR,...was she??

The ladies came out from putting the kids to bed, and Gloria sat with my mother on the sofa. She took Mom's hands and collected her thoughts.

"First of all, Mr. and Mrs. Stone, I'd like to thank you for your kindness towards my children and me. And for the excellent dinner. We haven't had anything close to it in longer than I can remember. And also for raising such a nice guy as Jack. He has been a God send". She blushed as she said this. Then--

"Don't let it go to your head, mister. I still think you're after something, and I intend to find out what."

Whoa!! Was my father right? My mother covered her mouth as she hid a smile.

And what did the two of them talk about when they were alone?

She continued.

"I would like to stay long enough to find a job and a place for my children and me to live. I will pay you back for any expenses we incur. I don't want charity".

Mom piped up, "It's not charity, dear. You are our guests. You are welcome here as long as you need to be here. If we have to, we'll collect from our favorite policeman". She grinned at me and I squirmed.

Gloria looked at me and she smiled. She had been smiling more and more lately.

I rose and said I needed to get home and get a good night's sleep. We had things to accomplish tomorrow. She looked up at me, startled.

"You don't live here?".

"No, of course not. I have a two bedroom apartment. It wasn't big enough to take you guys to, so I figured this was the next best alternative. Besides, how would it look? An attractive, single woman and her two children living in a single man's place. Not very appropriate, don't you think?".

For a moment, the look on her face was utter confusion. Then she rose and followed me to the door after I kissed my mom good night and shook my dad's hand accompanied by a sly grin from him.

At the door, I told her I would be there tomorrow to take the kids to school with her, and then finish our errands to start getting her life back in order. She stopped me by taking my hand, hesitated briefly, and raising to tiptoes, kissed my cheek. Chastely. Briefly. She said, "Thank you, Jack," in a barely audible whisper. Then let go of my hand and scurried off toward her room, leaving me stunned. My folks stood in the family room and grinned ridiculously as my mom put her hands to her cheeks, and sniffled. Dad slapped his thigh. 'That's my boy,' he whispered.

I turned and went home, mind blown.

***********************************************************************************

Gloria's side

She was confused. She had married her husband, Marcus Watson, while strung out on marijuana and she was abused from the word go. She gave birth to little Micheal and left him. He didn't really care as his drug business had branched out into coke and meth, but he looked to her for 'physical' release. Unfortunately, she got caught up with one of Lucius's lieutenants, Rafael Santos, and the abuse continued. She was beaten up after a sexual attack and she wound up pregnant again.

Wallah!! Marilyn appeared but she managed to get away from him. She listed no name on the birth certificate, and she was making plans to skip town when Santos engineered the trip to Chicago for his boss and set him up for the ensuing bust. He hoped he would get killed, and then he (Santos) could take over.

Not quite what happened. Watson was shot, arrested, tried, and convicted. The DEA and the State Cops in both states rolled up most of the bad guys. Santos split to California and Gloria figured she was in the clear.

Again, not quite. Five years later, he was back and looking for Gloria. He was trying to start up the old 'gang', and clean up all the loose ends.

Enter, again, Saint Jack, Guardian Angel par Excellance. She couldn't believe how lucky she was. And he was wonderful!! Don't tell him that, it would just give him a big head. But he was.

She stripped down to her undies and donned the only nightgown she had, a long cotton shift, hanging to her feet, and long-sleeved. Not exactly sexy, but no one had seen her in it except for her kids. She slipped into bed and turned out the bedside light. She slept the sleep of the just, secure in the knowledge of her safety.

***********************************************************************************

Back to Jack

Jack drove home, alone with his thoughts. He had turned off the radio and concentrated on his driving.

BULLSHIT!!!

He couldn't keep his mind off the events of the previous day. Gloria's total contempt and disdain for him, then the complete reversal of her feelings for him. He was beside himself, realizing he had feelings for her, too. Maybe this was what she had been hinting at all along. Maybe this was what his dad was talking about. MAYBE this is what he needed. Her. Gloria. This was what he was looking for, to help him pull himself together. Although, quite frankly, he didn't realize he had been looking for anything at all.

He pulled up and parked (Under the shelter, now. No more piece of shit Lexus taking up the #1 spot.) He went inside and showered and climbed into bed. Within minutes, he was asleep. His last thought was of a petite Latina chic wrapped around him, telling him she was so lucky, and nibbling at his nipples. He slipped off smiling, fondling his own penis. He held something he hadn't gone to sleep with in a long time. A throbbing erection.

***********************************************************************************

The next day, Jack awoke with morning wood. But then a lot of guys do. His was different. All he could visualize was a naked little Latin lovely gyrating in front of him. All he could really fantasize about was her legs. Everything else was imagination. But he was a guy and his imagination was rated- X.

Whistling, he went to the shower, cleaned up, brushed his teeth, combed his hair, and went to the kitchen and put on a pot of coffee. He grabbed a travel cup and filled it, then went out to the truck and left.

He rolled up to Mom and Dad's house. Dad had already left for work. The house was a beehive of activity and Gloria was packing lunches and readying school stuff for everyone. Mom was bustling around, making sure the kids were finishing their breakfast.

"Hullo?", I shouted as I entered.

Marilyn shouted, "It's Unca Jack," between mouthfuls of fruit loops. Micheal grinned and flashed a thumbs up as he crammed English muffins covered with jelly into his craw. Mom came around and hugged me and gave me a kiss. Gloria flashed a huge smile and diverted her eyes. OOOH, severely shy. We are making progress.

Everyone finished up and gathered their gear. I kissed Mom, Gloria plastered herself against Mom and crushed her saying, 'Thank you' in a low voice she thought I didn't hear. Well, boys and girls. This was interesting.

We got to the truck, and Michael showed severe big-brother action by buckling his sister in, then latching himself in. Their mother and I got in and belted in, to choruses of 'Contact!', from the back seat. I chuckled and Gloria shook her head while the two urchins giggled and bounced up and down.

We drove to school. On the way, the situation exploded.

Marilyn started.

"Unca Jack, are you gonna be my father? 'Cause I've never had a father, before".

I swear there was a large deer running across the road. That's why I swerved and almost ran into the ditch. I managed to come to a stop. Gloria was pale and breathing heavily. Micheal was shaking, then regained his composure.

"AWESOME!!", he yelled.

"Well, are you?", reiterated Marilyn.

The Big Horse stood there, idling, waiting. I turned and looked at Marilyn's mother, and then at Marilyn.

"UUH, why do you ask, Marilyn? Did someone say something?".

As I said this I turned and stared at her mother. Gloria, on the other hand, was looking straight ahead, and shaking. She was pale and hyperventilating. O.K., now we're getting somewhere.

"I see", I said.

We started to school again.

We arrived and the kids got out, hugged and kissed mommy, and raced off to their friends. Marilyn ran into two young girls, a black girl and a white girl, and from the looks of things it was all about her adventure of the last fourteen hours or so. Much pointing and waving then they left for class.

Micheal teamed up with three young lads and he was pointing and waving at the truck and making driving motions., then erratic braking motions. The bell rang, and as he turned to go, he waved and raced off.

We left, and headed to city hall.

I turned my face to Gloria, who still wasn't breathing right. But if we had been alone, in a bedroom, it would have been downright erotic. "We have to talk!", I said.

How 'bout them apples? Bet you never heard those words from a guy before, have you??

"What was that all about?".

She hesitated and looked out the side window. She really liked the view out there. I'll have to have someone drive me around, maybe my brother, and sit in the passenger seat and look out there.

Back to the present.

"GLORIA? Look at me".

She turned and stared, tears in her eyes. In that low little girl's voice that women can use, she said, 'I'm so sorry. You were never meant to hear that part of the conversation.

I heaved a heavy sigh.

"Let's go take care of this stuff. We'll talk later".

We arrived at the courthouse and went into the Bails and Paroles section. We found the overworked and cluttered desk of Patrick Connor, Gloria's P/O. He rose and greeted us, motioning for me to clear two seats and sit.

"I know you, Jack. What can I do for you. You know Gloria isn't due to check in til tomorrow, right??".

"I know that, Pat. I've got a lot to do in the next few days. Gloria and the kids are in protective custody. She had to quit her job, and move to a safe house. Here's the address. And this is her lawyer." I also passed him Daniel's card.

"This is your brother-in-law. I know him. Are you calling in favors for Gloria?", he said, chuckling.

"Yes. Santos is back in town and he's looking for her".

"That's a bad character. You had better have her well covered".

"I'm getting extra bodies on her tonight". (I'll get them a dog. Mom won't bee too thrilled but that will pass.)

"I'm impressed with what you're doing. I'll go to bat for Gloria and cover for her if she needs it. Just take care of her". He looked at Gloria.

"Good luck, kiddo. And keep your nose clean." He smiled as we walked out.

"O.k., one down, two to go. Let's go talk to the Dragon Lady".

We drove to the State Government annex and went into the CPS (Children's Protective Services) Bureau. Only used car salesmen and televangelists have a lower respect rating than CPS in Texas. And sometimes that bounces back and forth.