Jamie - The Journey Begins Ch. 26 - Planes Trains Fire Trucks

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Each ring of the phone seemed to take longer and longer till I heard her voice. "Hey Jim-Jam! What are you up to little brother?"

I smiled as her using my childhood nickname - it was from the chocolate biscuits 'Tim-Tam's' that I'd steal for us both when mom wasn't watching. When Steph wanted some, she'd call me Jim-Jam, or when she was feeling cutie. BTW if you haven't tried 'Tim-Tams' you should they're almost out second currency in Australia ahead of Qantas Frequent Flyer points, lol!

"So, Steph I did a thing."

"Okay... what did you do? Do I need to get bail money, or a shovel ready?"

With a chuckle I replied, "Ah no. But you're gonna have another brother-in-law soon."

There was silence for a few seconds, then I heard a quiet sniffle. "You asked Ben?"

"Yep."

"And he said 'yes' right? I don't have to come over and kick his butt or anything. Coz you know I will, Jamie."

I couldn't help but smile. My sister's love and protection are something that I've enjoyed all my life. She is one of the closest people in my life. "He said 'yes'! I took him up in a hot air balloon with fire trucks and a big sign that we passed over as I asked him. It all went like clockwork, plus I had Dad's mate, Max, make the rings."

"My god, Jamie! That's awesome! When's the wedding? Is it before Lucas' or after?"

"Um I don't know. We haven't set a date yet, but I'm guessing after Lucas and Hailey, unless we duck off to Vegas, lol. Steph, I never thought I would get married again... but I can see that this... THIS is what life should be all about."

"Wait, can I tell Todd? Or do want to?"

"I'm on a flight to Texas now. We're literally pushing back, so I'm gonna have to go, but you can tell him if you want. If not, l'd love to when I arrive."

"Okay, you go now, before they get all pissy at you for using your mobile. Still, tell Todd when you arrive. I'll try and keep my mouth shut, but hey, Jamie... Seriously, congratulations to you both! You both really deserve to be happy."

"Thanks, Steph. Love you."

"Okay, you brat, go! Hang up and quickly call ass-face Mason."

"Rodger that." Hanging up, I called my brother, but it went straight to voice mail. I left him a message asking if he could take my call in a few hours. Guess we'll see.

Just as I ended the call the announcement came over to switch to flight mode and listen to the safety message. "Ben, I didn't get to call the Chief - will have to when we land in Texas." I was feeling a little uneasy about not returning the chief's call, but ...

..o0o..

The flight to Texas was pretty uneventful. I took the opportunity to get some sleep and was awakened by Ben telling me we were about to land.

No sooner had I turned my cell on as we pulled up at the terminal gate at DFW. A stream of messages came in from Lucas, and a few other family members. Obviously, dad had called his brother and word got out. Lucas was describing how he was going to punish me for making him wait. The last message was the best: 'Nice! Just got a call from my dad -- you're getting married! Okay the challenge is on now, lol.'

Shaking my head, I showed Ben Lucas' message. "Oh shit! He's gonna call everyone now, right? Hopefully, he doesn't do a live broadcast or something."

I looked at Ben like he'd just given me the lotto numbers for the mega draw. "That's it! My god, I love you... you're so fuck'n smart Ben, YES!"

Ben looked at me like I'd just lost my mind. "What the hell are you talking about, Aussie?"

Walking toward the baggage carousel, I spotted Hailey madly waving to us - the smile on her face was so huge I could see it from across the concourse. I was about to explain to Ben my amazing plan when I was totally floored by the two people standing there with her and Lucas.

Grabbing Ben's face, I slapped a quick pec on his lips.

"Go on, Jamie..."

I didn't need to be told twice! I made a beeline past Hailey, pausing for a second and quickly kissing her, also grabbing my stupid-ass cousin and kissing him too. The look on his face was not really surprised... more, oh again!

"Nice to see that you've brushed your teeth, Jamie - not like all the other times you kiss me with morning breath, lol." I just flipped Lucas the bird.

I was so excited I couldn't believe it. "Oh my fucking god you two!!" I threw my arms up and grabbed them both pulling them into a hug where there was a lot of laughing and muffled, 'missed you buddy' going on. Making room our four-way hug became five, then six with Hailey pushing in. "Oh my God -- Gav, Dave - I haven't seen you for months." I tried to choke back the urge to let the tears flow. "My god guys, this is just the best timing ever."

"You feel at home anywhere with family and friends around you, and it feels like home right now! What a surprise, guys, damn!" For the next fifteen minutes we took over a little section of DFW Airport. "What the hell are you guys doing here?" I kept looking at Gav then Dave's faces, then back again, almost trying to ensure that it wasn't a mind trick or something.

Gav kicked off first - of course he did: "Well, I had to come over for work and so did bug-a-lugs here," gesturing in Dave's direction.

"Yeah, so Gav and I were talking about work. And realised that we'd both be over in the US at pretty much the same time. With a little manoeuvring, we managed to switch a few things around so that the end of our trips lined up. That was the easy part - tracking you down - that was the challenge, Spence."

"Wha, how so?" I was a little surprised at that one, but Lucas and Hailey laughed so there must be a story behind it.

"Yeah, well Gav and I chatted, deciding that we'd call past California and surprise the crap out of you. Turns out you like to move around the whole lower 48 a little too much." A small gallery of laughter broke out, "So I asked Gav to call Tom and see what your movements were. We swore him to secrecy. Like the top guy our Tommy is, he kept it on the quiet too." (I remembered how thick as thieves Tom, Gav, Dave and Louie were back in the day.) "Luckily, he gave us the heads up, tell'n us that you two were going to be here in Texas for the weekend, so Texas here we are." At that, Dave grabbed me around the neck and pulled me against him. "Missed you, you big idiot."

"It's good to see you buddy, really is, even if you've got a little Yankee accent going on now." Dave was, well, we all were smiling - I was still in a state of shock seeing my two oldest friends here: wow, just wow!

"Thanks Dave, and you too, Gav. This is just awesome, really is, I just can say it enough."

"No problem, Jamie. Man! Living over here is really agreeing with you. You look so ...relaxed, happy. Like the old days but better, don't you reckon Dave?" who just nodded as he was now deep in conversation with Hailey about food, I think.

I looked at Ben and Lucas for a second. Ben nodded toward the boys and smiled. "Hey Guys, got some news though."

"You're getting deported?" Gav asked with as serious look on his face as possible, then started to laugh.

"No, no, he's gonna shout the first round of drinks." At that Dave started to laugh at his own joke. "No, no - come on, Jamie, what's up?"

Suddenly feeling a whole load of insecure, with these two in familiar fine form. I wasn't sure how to tell them. Ben sensed my moment of insecurity. "I think Lucas should shout the first round."

Stupid just nodded for a second. "Hey what! Why am I shouting the first round? These are your friends, Jamie, Ben - I'm just here for the food and ... drinks, ouch." Hailey poked him in the ribs at the end. Lucas gave her a puzzled look. "What did I say?" he whined, rubbing his side.

She just smiled sweetly, paying him no attention.

The momentary distraction was enough for me to get my mouth and brain in sync. "So, guys..." slipping my arm around Ben's back and resting it on his hip. "I asked Ben to marry me, and he accepted."

There was a full four second stunned silence from my two childhood friends. In unison almost, they stepped closer and started to hug us both. There were so many "oh my god's, and "that's amazing." It was hard to work out who was saying what.

We spend the next twenty minutes running through the proposal, Ben's call to his folks and then mine to mine. A text message broke my concentration - it was from Mason, asking if I was okay and what was up. Obviously, he'd got my message. "Hey guys, give me a second - Mason just messaged me. I wanna call him back and Todd too. You guys stay right here for a few moments?"

Dave waved his hand at me, swatting me away almost. "Go ring that dufus of a brother. Oh, and say 'hi' to Todd for us, okay?"

Shaking my head, I walked over to a quieter corner to make a few calls. Heading towards the small false garden that is so common in airport terminals, I thought I could catch a quiet spot for a second. I slipped my cell out of my pocket and clicked on Mason's number, then called Todd. I spoke to my brother for about a minute - it was polite and all - a little strained, I guess, but way, way better than anything Mason and I have done in years.

Todd was the funniest, he flipped out that Steph had kept if from him for so many hours, then complained that now he had to get rid of Steph AND Ben so we could be together.

I suggested that rather than two counts of murder and awful prison sex, that a little bit of adultery was okay. He couldn't wait. "Wait up a sec, Jamie. Steph? Your brother is inviting me to be an adulterer with him. Is that okay?"

"You'd better be talking to Jamie. I've promised you to him in my will you know. Coz if that's Mason, you're a dead man, Todd Werner."

I laughed, "Man that sister of mine. Nothing beats her right?"

"Nah, nothing! She's amazing bro. All jokes aside, that's fantastic, Jamie. Can't wait to have another brother-in-law. When are you guys coming back to see the folks? Any time soon?"

"Not sure yet. I need to eventually sort out staying here, I guess. Probably in a few months' time."

"We'll head over and see you guys before that, hopefully. Maybe just before she takes up her role at Pearl. We'll see."

"Awesome. Okay, I gotta go. I've got one more call to make, then we're going to get some food and drink with Gav and Dave."

"Oh, they surprised you at the airport?"

"What? You knew? Shit, Todd."

"Dave called Steph the other week to see what our movements were, then they were working with Tom at LACoFD."

"Man, it was an amazing surprise, just blew me away. Okay, look - gotta go and make this call. Chat soon, Todd, and thanks, mate, for the kind wishes too."

"All good, Jim-Jam. See ya." Todd's taken to calling me that now, thinks it cute.

I was still smiling when I looked up the Chief's number. "I'll get that call out of the way then let's get some food. Oh, hi, Sir. It's James Spence. I got your message to give you a call."

..o0o..

After ending the call, I zombie-walked back to my friends and family who were engaged in conversation. I could hear their raised voices and laughter as I made my way back.

Taking a deep breath, I tried to push the tough conversation I'd just had to the back of my mind, but my head was spinning. Ben looked up at me as I placed my hand on his shoulder. I gave a false smile and grin, switching my attention to the conversation going on around me.

I could feel Ben's eyes boring into the side of me, like lasers from some superhero. Not taking my eyes off the button on Lucas' shirt, it gave the impression that I was involved in what they were saying. I felt those familiar lips against my ear.

"What happened? You look like someone kicked your puppy."

I turned my head slightly towards Ben, shaking my head slightly. In a whispered voice I replied, "Can we talk about it in the car? I'm okay though."

"I call bullshit, but okay, in the car." At that Ben coughed a little. "So, are we going to get something to eat and drink or stand here for the next three days talking?"

Dave let out a laugh. "At least I'd be on time for our flight home." Spontaneously we all laughed at Dave's honesty and self-inflicted fail. "Man, I'd be late for my own funeral - I'm sure of it."

"Okay you guys, let's go. Y'all wanna head out with Lucas and Hailey? Jamie and I will follow y'all in a few moments in my car?"

The four of them looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders. "Sure - let's go. I'm starved. Let's meet up at 'Mia's on Lemmon Ave,' yeah?" Lucas looked at Hailey like she'd just given him the lotto numbers or something.

"If there was any doubt why I love you, it's gone now. I can taste those brisket Taco's from here." As he pulled her into a hug, the two of them acted out like high school kids.

"Oh, really get a room!" which they ignored. "Floor show, floor show," was now being chanted by Dave and Gav as the four of them headed to the parking garage.

..o0o..

No sooner had they gotten about forty yards away, Ben turned to me, looking straight through me with those beautiful by deadly eyes of his. "Okay, what happened? You looked stressed to the max after that call, Jamie."

Totally inappropriate timing but, I let out a small laugh, maybe nerves, or it was my now fiancée using Australian slang terms in general conversation. "Stressed to the max, love it, Ben."

"Ok not funny, James... what's going on!"

Oops, my bad. "Ok, so the Chief said that due to a huge black hole in their budget that they've had to make cuts here and there." I shrugged my shoulders at Ben. He was clearly preparing for me to end the world right now with the look on his face. "Anyway," pause, breathe Jamie, "the cutbacks are all over the service, but the placement and mentor position have been reduced to less than a month now."

Just like that, "my planned five months of living here in Texas while we planned out our lives together, plus, all the other stuff I had to arrange was now... I don't know... to be sorted in just weeks, I guess." I paused running my hands through my hair. "Without employment in the field, my special terms visa, it will be voided," I lamented, shrugging my shoulders. "I'll have to head home to Australia, I guess, when that work runs out, and sort things from there, Ben. I don't know what to do."

Ben stood there silent for a few seconds letting it all wash over him. He looked up at me, his eyes coming back into focus. "So, is there anything else we can do? There must be. You can apply to other services for placement, yeah? Would that work? It doesn't have to be in Texas, right? Sure, it would make it all a little easier, but here in the forty-eight is a lot easier than Australia."

"Yeah it would. The Chief said that he made some calls for me... you know he feels terrible having to make the call about the program, but apparently the higher ups left him with no options. He's arranged a few phone interviews already, one with the Boston Fire Department. He also called one of his buddies in the Phoenix FD and someone at Dallas FD too, so it's not too bad, right?"

We had started to walk out to Ben's car. I'd lost sight of the other four, but I could hear laughter in the distance, so they were about somewhere.

"I'm sure it will work out, Jamie. I'll ask my boss to check with the Fire guys too, see what's available, ok?"

"Awesome, plus the chief in Tucson heard about all of this, you know the cuts." I was waving my hands about like I was swatting bugs. "Anyway, they want to do a video hook-up tomorrow at 11am, so I guess it could be worse, right?"

I was so caught up in explaining what had happened that I didn't even notice we were at Ben's car, till he pushed me against it.

"Hey, look at me, Jamie." He placed his hand on the side of my face as he pressed his forehead to mine, his piercing eyes looking straight into mine. "I don't care where you're posted or how long it takes to sort out. Hell, I'll even come out to Australia if I have to. We'll work it out, ok?"

The reassurance in his voice and touch was what I needed. The only words forming in my mouth were "Ok." I gently kissed his lips, a gentle reassuring kiss. "Let's go, else those four are going to wonder if we didn't make a pitstop at your place first."

"Hmmm, I like that idea, but sorry sexy, I need food." Ben grabbed my ass as he pulled back and walked around the car. "Come on... let's go."

..o0o..

The car-ride was pretty quiet heading over to meet with the other guys. I messaged my dad and answered the flurry of messages back and forth, about work, placement and visas etc. He said to expect a call from Uncle Reid later as he and dad would help with the visa stuff. I'd been so engrossed with the messages; I think Ben was feeling very left out. "Hey, sorry Ben. I wasn't meaning to... you know, ignore you... just Dad started playing twenty questions and Mom was having a fit."

"Twenty questions?" Ben had a confused look on his face.

"Oh yeah, sorry, very Aussie slang there!" I laughed putting my cell down in the console. "It's those times where your parents or someone is playing high speed jeopardy round with your life. Mom was offering to jump on a flight to come over and 'help', but dad has successfully stopped her for the moment.

He used the fact that both Jet and Daisy's birthdays are soon. You know she had to be there for the grandkids; hmmm, will have to buy my little niece and nephew a gift to say thanks for saving me from mom."

Ben laughed, "Your mom is beautiful, and she only wants the best for her boy. You know that."

"Hey, if you're going to try and make my mom and her 'helping out' a saintly thing, I'm gonna have to think about our suitability for lifelong partners, Benjamin." I let out with a good dose of pouting, which lasted about ten seconds, when both started to laugh. "We're done for, aren't we Ben! Your mom and mine... there is no escape."

"Yep, we're gonna have to be on our guard from here in. Hopefully your brother or sisters will have kids and distract her. Or we can head home and try and get me pregnant if you like."

I slipped my hand over, resting on his thigh, just close enough to distract him, but not too much. "Oh, I'm gonna give that a red hot go when we get to your place, but what about your sister or brother? They could help by having some kids too, right?"

"Yeah, my sister needs to lift her game. At least Daniel has made a start."

"Oh look! There's Lucas and Gav standing out front. We're here."

..o0o..

"Ok, so now that we've all stuffed ourselves full on food, I've had an idea about trying to tell everyone at home and here about our engagement."

"Ok, this will be good I'm sure." Lucas rolled his eyes in mock surprise.

I did the adult thing and poked my tongue out at Lucas. "Shut it - you can't tell everyone."

"I'm sure I can give it a good go, but let's hear your plan B, Jamie."

"Okay I'm just going to ignore that. I had a great idea. I'm going to post on social media that I'm going live at say eight pm tonight, which will be around eleven am Saturday morning back home, and tell everyone via a video link. What do you think?"

Dave was the first to jump in. "Love it, mate. What a great idea! Then people can't get all pissy about knowing last and stuff. Plus, it gives you a few hours to get the messages out for everyone to tune in."

"Okay, it's a plan then. Let's head back to my place, Jamie. You guys coming?"

"Benjamin, I wouldn't miss this for the world. Come on, you three. Let's head over to Ben's and watch Jamie die on camera."

"Thanks for the support, Lucas."

"Love ya, buddy," Lucas smiled and slapped my butt. We all headed for the door.

"You know what, Ben?"

"Let me guess, Hailey... will these two ever grow up?"

"Yes and no. They won't, will they, Ben? Guess we have to do the adulting for them!"

"Nah, they won't grow up -- you're right - but that's why we love them, I guess, right?" Hailey and Ben finished the conversation, giving each other a hug, aww.