Jane in New York Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Once again, she was successful in staying away from Veronica's page. There was no reason for her to look back at the past. She snapped out of it, like she always did, and continued focusing on the job at hand.

As the day came to an end, Camilla approached her and asked if she was ready to leave.

"I'm sorry I keep doing this, but do you mind waiting just a moment so I can finish updating our social media page?"

"That's no problem," Camilla assured, always willing to be flexible and accommodating. "You're doing a great job with the company page. Just take your time."

Though Jane was still a little skeptical and knew there were reasons to be cautious to alternative motives, she was getting quite used to Camilla's willingness to be so accommodating.

When the young Asian was done with everything, she and Camilla carpooled back to her hotel, where they were able to continue some of their previous conversation.

"Are you sure you're okay with me staying with you?" Jane asked. "This is your last opportunity to back out," she said, with a giggle.

"I'm definitely sure," Camilla responded, with a look. "Are you sure you're okay with it?"

"I think I am."

"Well if you move in and don't like it, you can always go back to the hotel," Camilla pointed out. "It won't hurt my feelings if you decide that's what's best for you."

"Thank you," Jane responded. "You're a very understanding person."

For some reason, Camilla was taken back from the off-handed compliment. It meant something to her, even if it was just a quick comment. "Thank you for saying that" she said, with a soft smile.

Jane could read her face and knew that she appreciated it. But she didn't want to dwell on it for too long.

"So, between living with me and going on these long trips, are you sure you won't get sick of me?" she asked.

"I don't think so," Her Latina co-worker responded. "The trips are a lot of fun, but they can be a lot of work. I think we work very well together, and we are going to be able to get a lot done."

"You really think so?"

"I do. We've gotten a lot accomplished since you started working here. I think we work well together because we have a similar work ethic and mindset. If you were difficult to work with, then I wouldn't look forward to working with you on these trips."

"Thanks. That means a lot to me," Jane responded. But then a question popped up in her mind. "Miranda also mentioned that you used to do these trips with her."

"We used to, a lot actually."

"Do they usually go pretty well?"

Camilla took a brief moment to gather her thoughts before she carefully answered, "Work trips with Miranda are... interesting."

"Interesting?" Jane asked, almost not wanting to get out of the car yet.

"Yes. They are very... interesting."

"How so?"

Camilla just smiled and responded, "I don't think it's the right time to talk about this."

Jane was left speechless. She knew there was no point in asking her again. Once again, she just respected Camilla's wishes and stopped asking about it.

"Make sure you don't forget anything at the hotel," Camilla said. "Move in day is tomorrow. I'll be here at 11:00 a.m. to pick you up."

"Thanks, Camilla," Jane responded, not knowing what else to say. She had so many questions and uncertainties. But just like her entire relationship with her new coworker, so far, only time would tell how things would go. And as for now, she was just thankful to receive so many favors.

--

Friday evening, Veronica met up with her coworkers at the sushi bar they had been going to. Although it was supposed to be a fun night, things got off to a rocky start as Ashley immediately brought up the new hire.

"So I heard Maria hired someone."

"She did?" Monica asked.

"She interviewed that girl on Thursday and didn't interview anyone today. So, she must have chosen that first girl."

"She looked pretty young," Monica said. "But she's as cute as a button!"

"Yes, she is," Ashley agreed. "What did YOU think of her, Veronica?" she asked, always willing to poke at her co-worker's true feelings.

"I don't know," Veronica responded, not even wanting to start on the subject.

"Oh come on, Veronica. YOU of all people should have an opinion about Jane's replacement," Ashley joked.

"She's not Jane's replacement," she responded, as she rolled her eyes.

"Guys come on!" Monica interrupted. "We're supposed to be having fun, not arguing." Monica had been getting really fed up with their constant bickering. In her mind, it was only driving them apart.

Just in the nick of time, their favorite waitresses, Vicky and Christine, arrived and greeted them. As they were introduced to Veronica, they recognized her name from the stories, but realized it wasn't the right time to bring that up. As always, the cute waitresses were friendly and accommodating, providing drinks and excellent service throughout the entire night.

Veronica had developed a habit of letting her feelings and emotions out when she drank. Unfortunately, this night was no different for her.

"What's wrong?" Monica asked, noticing a change in Veronica's demeanor.

"I don't know..."

"I don't mean to pry," Monica started out, so innocently. "But does it have something to do with Jane?"

"I really don't know anymore."

"Is that why you're so sensitive about her replacement?" Ashley asked. "Hiring a new girl means completely replacing Jane in our office. Maybe that's what you're having a difficult time with."

Veronica just gave Ashley a look, but deep down inside she couldn't be mad, because it was true. She didn't want to admit it, but having a new hire was a symbol of moving forward in her life without Jane. And that just wasn't something the fragile woman was ready to do, even though she was the one who encouraged Jane to leave.

She put her head down and closed her eyes, hoping not to cry in front of her two friends. Then she ran her fingers through her hair before pulling it, hoping it would relieve stress.

"You're obviously having a hard time," Monica pointed out. "Maybe you should try talking to her."

"I can't do that..."

"Have you even tried?"

"No," Veronica admitted. "But I've looked at her social media page a million times..."

"Why are you doing that?" Monica and Ashley both asked, in a concerning manner. Looking at her page was a normal thing, but the way she described sounded like an unhealthy habit.

"Sometimes I... I just see things. Things that keep bringing me back to her page."

"Like what?" Ashley asked.

"I want her to be successful. But for some reason, seeing her success just makes me sad. It feels like she's happier without me. I know that's what I asked her to do, but this is way harder than I ever imagined."

"But you don't know if she misses you as much as you miss her," Monica responded. "She may look happy, but those are just pictures."

"She doesn't just look happy... she looks amazing."

"What do you mean?"

"Maybe it's just because I miss her, but she's even more beautiful than I remember."

"I've seen some of her pictures lately," Ashley said. "She does look stunning. She looks like she's in better shape than before."

"Has she been posting a lot of photos, lately?" Monica asked.

"She posts a lot of photos from events that she works," Veronica answered. "She's always going to different events with... some woman..."

Both girls went dead silent as they started to realize what this was all about.

"What woman?" Monica asked.

"I don't know... I don't know who she is," Veronica responded. "But I've noticed in all her pictures...she goes to all those events with... some woman..."

"Are you talking about that Hispanic girl with the blonde hair?" Ashley asked.

"Yes..."

"I know who you're talking about. I've noticed that too."

"Are you afraid she's replacing you or something?" Monica asked.

"I don't know..."

"That dyed hair and those fake contacts look so ugly," Ashley said, trying to make Veronica feel better.

"She's beautiful," Veronica said as she stared off into space. Although she knew nothing about this woman, and she had purposely pushed Jane away, just knowing there was someone else possibly in Jane's life made her feel so insignificant.

12