Janet's Christmas Eve Betrayal

Story Info
Wife decides to abandon family on Christmas Eve.
9.3k words
4.52
212.8k
403
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
StoneyWebb
StoneyWebb
2,036 Followers

This edited version is the same story. I just needed to clean up a few mistakes.

Janet Summers sat at the computer desk in their den, as the radio played Christmas music in the background. Absently, she looked out the window at the snow covering the backyard. It was Christmas Eve, and It had snowed the previous night, leaving almost four inches on the ground. The wind was blowing harder, moving the white flakes around in gusts. And the weather forecast had predicted even more snow that night.

Under normal circumstances, Janet would have been thrilled with the thought of it snowing on Christmas Eve. But these were not normal circumstances. Janet had decided to leave her husband, Kevin, and her two children for her boss, Barry Wilcox.

It had been a hard decision because Janet wasn't entirely sure how she felt about her husband, Kevin Summers. But there was no denying her attraction to Barry. He was a force of nature, and Janet had been caught in his web. Of course, there was no doubt that she deeply loved her two children, Laura, who was eight, and Tyler, six. However, they couldn't come with her now; they would have to follow later.

It was all so confusing, but Janet had made up her mind. She was going away with Barry. She and Kevin had been going through an especially tough time lately. It began with the car accident that Janet had been involved in. Nobody was seriously hurt, but one of their family cars was badly damaged, and Janet had suffered a mild concussion. Although classified as mild, the concussion brought frequent headaches, which caused a mild depression. The doctors had told her the headaches would fade in a few months. Still, it had set everything in motion.

It was quite stressful, dealing with her headaches while coordinating everything at home and doing her work at the law firm. Kevin and Janet's offices were almost twenty-five miles apart. Thankfully, they had a neighbor whose daughter went to the same school as their children. She had graciously offered to take the kids to school and bring them home until their second car was repaired. Even with that worry lifted from her shoulders, the two children were constant stress for Janet. Just keeping up with the household chores was stressing Janet. Everything seemed to be closing in on her.

After the car crash, Janet began to get moody and depressed at home. Two weeks after the accident, Kevin had to start traveling for a new project that his firm had undertaken in California, making matters worse. The only good thing about Kevin's job assignment, for Janet, was that she would have sole use of their remaining car.

Still, Janet was upset because the other two employees assigned to the project were women. But as Kevin explained, they would all have their own rooms. And aside from that, they'd be working at least twelve-hour days. That information did nothing to ease Janet's anxiety or her mood.

As the weeks moved on by, Janet was exhausted and irritable. They didn't seem to be able to have a conversation without Janet snapping at her husband.

Then Laura got sick with the flu, and Janet had to take four sick days to nurse her. This annoyed her enormously because Kevin was wrapped up in something at work and said he couldn't take time off. This led to more spats and coldness between them.

All through this, Janet's one place of sanctuary was at work. Barry had been very understanding. He tried to ease Janet's load at work by having other secretaries take on tasks that she should have done. He was always stopping by her desk to praise her and compliment her on her looks. Barry was charming, tall, and good-looking. His wife had died suddenly six months before. Now, he made no secret of his interest in Janet.

At thirty-four, Janet knew that she was a good-looking woman. She was no movie star, but her figure was still well shaped even after two children. And her long auburn hair, emerald eyes, and firm breasts still turned heads. But it was Janet's friendliness and kindness that drew people to her. Kevin was no slouch by any means, and he made a great first impression being a little over six feet tall with short blonde hair and blue eyes. And the more people interacted with Kevin, the more they liked him. But it was his ready smile, sense of humor, and kind eyes that drew Janet to him when they first met.

They had been married almost nine years now, and until six months ago, Janet had been happy and content. But after the accident, that had all changed. Kevin seemed preoccupied and distant, while Barry was kind and understanding.

It had all started innocently enough. Barry had asked her to lunch one day, and she had willingly accepted. Barry treated her like a princess, and Janet loved it. While Kevin was more on the quiet side but still confident, Barry was commanding. At that first lunch, he had skillfully drawn out Janet's unhappiness at home. Then he slowly started to win her confidence and fill her head with the idea that she deserved a better life. Janet had only half agreed at first, but more and more Barry began to win her over each passing day.

Barry's career began as a brash young lawyer for a large law firm. But over fifteen years, he had split off and started his own firm. Now, it was the largest in the state. He was recognized as one of the best litigators in the country. However, there were rumors that he didn't always play by the rules. But he was clever enough that, if he was bending the law, no one had been able to prove it. Barry also had the reputation of being totally ruthless. He wasn't content to just win his cases. He wanted to, if possible, destroy the opposition at the same time. But Janet saw none of this.

Until Barry had started pursuing Janet, she knew very little about her boss. In truth, she and some others in the firm were surprised to learn that Barry had been married. None of them had ever seen his wife before she died. But, now, with his wife gone, Barry had to raise his two boys on his own. Edward was ten, and Howard was nine. What struck Janet was how well he was coping with his loss and still providing well for his kids.

The lunches continued, and Barry continued to flatter Janet and get her to continue her complaints against her husband and their life. Then Barry cornered Janet in the copy room one day and kissed her on the lips. At first, Janet was startled, but then she found herself kissing him back. From there, they started to have dinners together. This was tricky as Janet had to invent excuses to go out at night.

One night out of the blue, Kevin confronted Janet.

"Janet, something is going on with you," he said with a worried expression on his face. "You seem to be constantly out of sorts and angry with me. Do we have a problem?"

Startled at the directness, Janet stared at her husband, stunned.

"No, no," she stammered. "It's just that things are crazy at work."

"Well, if your job is causing this much stress, I think you should think about giving it up."

Janet shook her head. "No, things will level off after Christmas."

Somehow, the suggestion by Kevin that she quit her job annoyed Janet. And the more she thought about it, the more it felt like he was trying to control her. At that moment, Janet decided that her husband wasn't going to take her away from Barry.

Little by little, Barry began to press the idea of Janet leaving her husband and marrying him. At first, Janet had rejected the idea outright, but that didn't dissuade Barry. He kept telling her what a wonderful life they would have together. Barry told Janet of all the places around the world they would visit around the world. She would live in a beautiful mansion, and she'd be able to bring her children to live there also. Also, Barry promised a large allowance, and Janet would be able to pick any car she wanted and buy a whole new wardrobe. Barry told her it was the life she deserved.

The more Barry poured on his charms, the more Janet became confused. Life at home had gotten better, but now it seemed shabby compared to what Barry was offering. And Janet couldn't deny that she was starting to have feelings for Barry. Still, Janet refused to sleep with him. Janet explained that she took her wedding vows seriously, and she wouldn't sleep with him until the divorce was final, and they were married. Yet, Janet had made out with Barry and allowed him to fondle her on a few occasions.

It all came to a head the week before Christmas. Barry had told her that he would be leaving on Christmas Eve with his children for an extended holiday to Europe. He told her that he wanted to get away from the pain of his wife's passing. Barry wanted time for his children to heal. He explained that a tutor would be accompanying them, so his boys wouldn't miss any school. Then Barry told her that what he wanted most, was to have Janet to come with him.

"Janet, I think it's time that we either move forward together or break it off," Barry said solemnly. "I don't want to continue pushing down this road if there is no future. You're going to have to make up your mind if you want the life I'm offering or not."

"If I do this," Janet began, not believing what she was going to say, "I want my children to come with us."

Barry shook his head slowly. "Janet, that wouldn't be possible at this time. If you were to take your children out of the country without your husband's consent, you could be charged with kidnapping. However, we can arrange for your children to join us in a few days, a week at most. And they won't miss any school because they'll have the same tutors as my sons. Also, I'll put my best divorce lawyer on the case. You'll have full custody of your kids, and your husband won't be able to stop you."

But Barry saved his best argument till last. "Look, Janet, I know that you're filled with uncertainty. I'd be a fool if I didn't realize that this is a life-altering decision for you. I know you might still have some feelings for your husband, and for sure, you love your kids to pieces. Just remember that I love you with all my heart. Still, if you aren't sure about me, understand that I'm leaving for Europe with you or without you. And if you don't come with me, our relationship will be over."

Janet felt like she was standing over a deep, dark pit, and there were only two paths to safety. One way was to return to her life with Kevin and the kids, while the other was to run away to the exciting life that Barry would provide. Her head started to hurt just thinking about it.

"I need to think about this, Barry," she said finally. "I think I'm in love with you, but it is still difficult for me to walk away from Kevin. I'll give you my answer in two days."

The two days of decision making ended on Christmas Eve. And Janet decided was precipitated by the fight she and Kevin had the night before. It had been a fight over a dish that Kevin had missed when he loaded the dishwasher. The missed dish was trivial, but Janet snapped at her husband over it, and Kevin snapped back. That night, Kevin went to sleep in the guest room. Janet used the incident as her rationalization to go with Barry. She felt bad for Kevin because he would be blindsided. But Barry promised a much better life for her and the kids. Besides, Janet told herself, Kevin would easily find someone else. She had seen the women eyeing her husband over the years. Besides, Janet continued to tell herself that this was for the children, but that rang hollow even to her. Janet felt like her head was spinning, but regardless, she had made up her mind to leave Kevin and be with Barry.

The thud of an icicle falling off the roof brought Janet back to the present. She tore her eyes from the window and focused on the computer. It was the letter she had composed for Kevin. She read it carefully.

Dear Kevin,

I'm so sorry to do this to you, but I've fallen in love with my boss, Barry Wilcox, and I'm leaving you. I know I am a coward for doing it this way, but I just don't dare face you right now. I also feel terrible that I won't be with the children for Christmas, but they can't come with me right now. Barry has arranged for a divorce lawyer to work on my behalf. He assures me that we'll be divorced within four weeks or so unless you fight the divorce petition. Please don't fight this divorce because Barry will destroy you, and I don't want to hurt you any more than I have.

I know this next bit will hurt you badly also, but I want the children with me. Barry is arranging for me to have primary custody. I will, of course, grant you liberal visitation rights. However, you must accept that Laura and Chris will be living with Barry and me, along with his two children.

I hope that someday, you will find it in your heart to forgive me. I truly wish you a happy life. I'm sure that you will find someone to replace me.

Again, I am sorry that it has come to this. I don't want you to think that this is your fault. It's just that I love Barry and feel that he offers a better life for the children and me. Again, I'm so sorry, but I must do this.

With all my heart, I wish you a wonderful life.

Janet

After printing out the letter, Janet sealed it in an envelope and wrote Kevin's name on it. Then she placed it on the kitchen table where he would be sure to see it.

With a sigh, Janet moved into the living room. She stopped and looked at the lights shining on the Christmas tree. Janet looked sadly at the presents under the tree for her children. Tears cascaded down her cheeks, and she began to sob.

After drying her eyes and freshening up in the half-bath, Janet took one more look around. Leaving this house for the last time seemed to drill a hole in her heart. But then Janet grabbed her suitcase and her carry-on bag as she headed for the front door. As she moved, the radio started to play Home for Christmas. Janet started to cry again but didn't stop.

The drive to the airport was uneventful, and she parked in long term parking. After she reached London, Janet would let Kevin know where the car was. Taking her bags out of the trunk, Janet took one last look through the car to make sure she hadn't forgotten anything. As Janet's eyes passed over the center console, she noticed a card with her name on it. Janet opened it and found a card from Kevin asking her to forgive him for the argument. The tears started to flow again, but she just dropped the card on the driver's seat and locked the doors.

In the terminal, Janet had to stand in a long line to check-in. Once they had taken her bag, Janet headed to the gate. The airport was total chaos, and Janet chided herself for not getting here earlier. It seemed that everyone was trying to get somewhere for Christmas.

When Janet reached her gate, she realized that the flight before hadn't left yet, so there were no seats available. After looking around for a few minutes in frustration, Janet moved to the next gate area, where there were still a few open seats. She was frustrated and flustered by all the activity.

Finally, Janet spied a seat next to an elderly gentleman with thin white hair. He was reading his newspaper and appeared to be a businessman. The man was dressed in a three-piece suit and had a briefcase sitting next to his feet. Hurrying to reach the empty seat, Janet's carry-on got caught on a pole and caused her to stumble slightly. Her purse fell from her arm and spilled out on the floor in front of the elderly man.

Instantly, the man put his paper aside and knelt down to help pick up the spilled items.

"I'm terribly sorry," Janet said in a rush as she got down to help gather her things. "I'm not usually this clumsy."

"Think nothing of it," the man said with a smile. "No harm done. Just sit yourself down and relax."

"Thank you, you're very kind."

"It doesn't cost anything to be kind, so I try to be that way all the time."

Janet looked around at the harried travelers and saw their less than friendly expressions.

"Unfortunately, it doesn't' seem like many others feel the same way," Janet said as she took her seat.

"Well, at least there are two of us who can be kind," he replied. "And who knows, if we practice kindness, maybe others will adopt our feelings and pay it forward."

"It's funny that you would say that because that is exactly what my husband always says. In fact, that's how I met him."

"Fascinating," the elderly man said with a smile. "Could I impose on you to tell me the story? It sounds very romantic."

"I guess it was kind of romantic," Janet admitted and then began to tell the story. "I was going to a party and was running very late. I had been delayed leaving work, and it was raining cats and dogs. About halfway to where the party was being held, I got a flat tire. I was in tears because I didn't know how to change it. But then a young man stopped. I was a bit scared of him at first, but he put me at ease right away."

"Through the window, he said that it looked like a bit of a problem. But then he assured me that he could fix it in a jiffy if I had a spare?"

"I was a little reluctant to hand him my car keys," Janet admitted. "But he had a wonderful smile and laugh. Kevin also had beautiful blue eyes that seemed to be filled with kindness. So, I gave him the keys, and he went immediately went to work, changing my flat tire. All the while, I was feeling so guilty because he was getting dirty and soaked from the rain. When he finished and handed me back my keys, I tried to pay him."

"He just laughed and told me to pay it forward. If I could help someone in the future, that would be payment enough."

"When I got to David and Cindy's house, they asked me why I was so late. I told them that I'd had a flat tire, but this kind stranger had changed it for me. About twenty minutes later, the doorbell rang, and David went to answer. All I heard was, "Kevin, you look like a drowned rat. What happened?"

"Kevin explained that he had stopped to fix a flat tire."

"I watched as David and Cindy hustled Kevin into a bedroom. About fifteen minutes later, he emerged wearing an odd combination of David's clothes. They did not fit well at all, but the man looked wonderful to me."

"So, did he recognize you?" the elderly man asked.

"No, he didn't," Janet admitted. "Even when I went up and thanked him, he just had a confused look on his face. Finally, when I explained that it was my flat tire, he had fixed; he smiled and then laughed. There was just something so warm and wonderful about him. I decided that I wanted to get to know him better. But there was a problem. He had a date for that party with a woman named Belle."

"Oh, that makes this story very interesting," Clarence chuckled.

"Yes, it did because Belle and I had known each other from grade school. And worse, we pretty much hated each other from the first day we met. Belle wasn't a bad person; it was that we were like oil and water. We just didn't mix. We were always trying to outdo the other. And when she figured out that I was interested in Kevin, it turned into a monumental struggle between us. Kevin knew nothing about our feud, but when one of us had a date with Kevin, we lorded it over the other. I thought Belle was winning him over at one point, but then she went off to an out of state college. I now had the inside track. But Belle didn't give up, and she continued to pursue Kevin almost up to our wedding day. Even after we were married, if we attended the same party, Belle would flirt outrageously with my husband, and I was always jealous. Still, he never gave me any reason to mistrust him. It was just Belle that I didn't trust."

"But you won out and married the love of your life," Clarence said with a wide grin.

Janet stopped smiling but nodded. "Yes, we dated for about eleven months before Kevin asked me to marry him. I, of course, said yes. We now have two children, Laura and Tyler."

StoneyWebb
StoneyWebb
2,036 Followers